Gigs, Concerts, and Other Live Performances

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: Gigs, Concerts, and Other Live Performances

Post by Geezer »

I wish I could explain to you in words how awesome the show I just witnessed was. Punk rock at its very core, and its very finest. A truly unforgettable night. Thank you Off With Their Heads for staying grounded and knowing the importance of your fans who don't give a fuck if you are playing in someone's basement, they will still travel as far as it takes to see you and experience the show. What an incredible night
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I just my ticket to see Weird Al Yankovic on April 20th at the Gillioz. This is my first concert ever.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi wrote:I just my ticket to see Weird Al Yankovic on April 20th at the Gillioz. This is my first concert ever.
You'll have a blast. I saw him a few years back and he changed costume for every song!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Have fun, man!
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

My first concert was Weird Al too, Boosh. And it was awesome.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

So I went and saw Lucero and The Hold Steady play last night and they both kicked ass. First time seeing either and I was impressed by both. My only regret is not seeing Lucero in 2005, as their first 4 albums are infinitely better than their more recent stuff. But they played mostly older stuff anyway so I was happy. Really glad Surfer got me into the Hold Steady. They're a really great band with an awesome command of the room and incredible energy.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Just worked out my schedule for Monday's Big Day Out. My biggest gripe with festivals every year is the clashes - the price I pay for having an eclectic music taste. This year is not too bad though, with only a couple of hard decisions, maybe because the line up is not the greatest this year.

So starting at 12.30 with only a 15 minute break from 4.30 to 4.45 I am planning to see in this order :-

The Medics
Delta Spirit
Against Me!
Grinspoon (the act I am looking forward to the most)
JEFF the Brotherhood
Vampire Weekend
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The Killers (clashes with The Foals)
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Sleigh Bells (I have to miss the last third of RHCP and all of Animal Collective)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Sleighbells is a bit underwhelming as a live experience. If you're making tough decisions, I'd probably go with the alternative(s).

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Hope you enjoy Against Me! I'll be seeing them again in March, for the 5th time. They're playing with Bad Religion. I'm beyond excited!!!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Fuck The Killers, Foals are a much better live act.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Judging from their recorded output Sleigh Bells have more potential for a great live atmosphere than Animal Collective, especially being the final act at a festival. That surprised me when the timetable came out. Have you seen Jeff the Brotherhood, Nspan? I expect a good show from them.

Saw Bad Religion at a festival last year. They did a good job under the circumstances and played a real tight solid set....but man they're looking their age. I'm looking forward to Against Me! Geezer, you/they have piqued my interest through this countdown.

I would quite happily miss The Killers but my wife loves them and I think they're okay. I'll probably watch a bit then separate and go see The Foals.....maybe....

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Leestu, they are much better live than they could ever be recorded. I'm not sure how it will play at a festival vs. a small venue filled with nothing but AM! fans, but I'm sure they will kill it nonetheless.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Leestu wrote:Have you seen Jeff the Brotherhood, Nspan? I expect a good show from them.
No, haven't had the pleasure.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Last night I attended a Sigur Ros concert here in Paris. I had never seen them live before. Great performance. They were very much focused in their performance and didn't communicate much (at all ?) with the audience, except at the very, very end of it, but they were great. The sense of scenery was quite magical, as you would expect from such a band. I was a bit disappointed they didn't play two of my favourite songs (including Staralfur, the one appearing in Wes Anderson's Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou), but it didn't prevent me from enjoying the moment with fervor.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Haven't seen Sigur Ros in a long time, but they were always amazing live. They never really interact with the crowd, though that works as the spell would be broken. I do like their last album so must try to catch them again shortly.

This year I'm heading to Primavera, probably the best large music festival in the world. Here's the lineup: http://www.primaverasound.es/cartel

There's about 30 acts I want to catch!