Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-#91

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-#86

Post by Leestu »

Shryke: Weird Al is so good at what he does however I could never take him seriously enough for a list like this. However I did get the whole family in to enjoy this.

Nspan & Six: Both good classics that showcase what was good about that particular time and genre.

Geezer: Haven’t listened to Rush before. The guitar solo were pretty good, but that voice was a bit annoying.

UDM: Sorry man. Hadn’t heard it before and hope I don’t hear it again.

Becs: A great pick. I like the White Stripes a lot and agree that this is their best song.

Buscemi: I never used to mind when this song came on the radio. It’s fine. This version was a bit long but. I believed him when he said he had nothing more to say so I stopped it.

Surfer: Great song from one of the best albums of 1994.

Transformers: I don’t mind this. Decent enough song that I wouldn’t choose to listen to, but happily would if someone else put it on.

W: I prefer the Willie Nelson version. I don’t like much country but Willie’s got a great distinctive voice.

Best #99 pick is Becs, with Shryke’s the best I hadn’t heard.

Shryke & Six: I am glad I never watch Idol to hear Hallelujah sullied by wannabes.

Nspan: I agree with you about Leonard’s version. I listen to both and had to choose which one. It took a bit of thought.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shryke- love Weird Al, like the song, have the album, but I think he has done much, MUCH better.

Span- love this song. Great choice!

Six- didn't love it but I didn't hate it either. Was good. That seems to be a theme so far with your list for me.

Becs- it was an early contender for my list, but I think the overplaying of the song did me in. I loved it when it first came out, but it doesn't seem to get me the way it used to. Still, another song I like from your awesome list.

UDM- I hate country, but it was tolerable, I'll give you that. Very pop-country.

surfer- I can say with certainty I won't ever listen to that one again. Not for me.

Leestu- an absolutely beautiful song. One of my favorites of the bunch. I'm glad I never got this ruined by American Idol either, since I don't watch that garbage.

Boush- its a good song, but yeah, the version is terrible. I'm glad I have actually heard the real studio version otherwise I wouldn't have liked it.

Tranny- I think Six hit the nail right on the head with this one.

W- Definitely not bad, considering the genre.

Pretty good round guys.

Overall, here's how I'd rank'em:
1. NSpan
2. Becs
3. Leestu
4. Shryke
5. Boush
6. Six
7. W
8. UDM
9. Tranny
10. Surfer
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Surfer - You take the cake again this round, because well, this song likewise made my list!

Geezer - Love this song, a band that made my list also did a somewhat angrier and less mellow cover of the song which I love.

W - You have no idea how hard it was for me to bump this song off my list! I kept moving things around it to keep it in at least the 101-105 position, but finally had to give up. Patsy was always one of the purest female vocals out there, it pained me to drop both her and Billie Holiday out of the running, so I am thrilled to see this at least make it in someone's list.

Leestu - Loved it! This is such a great song, and I'll agree the singer did do a good job with it. For some reason I find that Leonard Cohen is such a great songwriter/musician, but I almost always like the covers of his songs better than the originals.

Shryke - I basically like everything Weird Al has done, so good work including him, I don't know if I ever heard this particular parody before but it was great.

Tranny - Again, I just couldn't get into it, not a big fan of rap, and those I do like have something that makes them really stand out/unique from all the repetitive stuff like this (My favorite rap song relies heavily on Spanish guitar and is very melodic, pretty much the exact opposite of this). at least I can count on there probably being no overlap on our lists, makes for good diversity. :)
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Shrykespeare
#99. Weird Al Yankovic, “Canadian Idiot”

Love it, specially since i have a few canadian friends that i love to tease them with this song

NSpan
Zombies, “Time of the Season”
(1968)
liked it

Numbersix
The Guess Who, “Shakin All Over”

i really liked this one, going to look up some more by them

Geezer
Rush, “Tom Sawyer”

didnt really get it, but i didnt hate it

becs
White Stripes, “Seven Nation Army”

A lot of White Stripes I find pretty grating - i agree with this sentiment, although i;ve always thought the video was inventive

undeadmonkey
Edwin Mccain / Sarah Evans, “I Could Not Ask For More”

hehe, i feel like i need to defend this one a bit. This song has a certain emotional experience attached to it for me. but other than that, i dont really get whats to not like, it's a simple song about appreciating what you've got. and no it has no association with American Idol, the song came out in the 90s

leestu
Jeff Buckley, “Hallelujah”

love this song, I have six versions of it on my itunes, and one of them made it on my top 100, although it wasnt this version

i have to finish with the rest later.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:Is that the Johnny Kidd version?
Don't forget about "the Pirates"!

On a sidenote, I should probably preface the rest of my list by saying that the majority of my picks came out before music videos were "required"--so, oftentimes, the YouTube version of my picks are visually supplemented by something either unrelated or (at worst) something just plain stupid. Please don't let that affect your opinion of the song. Hell, avert your eyes if you must! There are a few legit music videos in there--but, oftentimes, the best I could find was just a static picture of the album art.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I know that "Canadian Idiot" is not Weird Al's best. It's funny, really, when you think about it. Like most comedy, his stuff is always the funniest the first time you hear it. And then every time you hear it after that, it's just slightly less funny. So I suppose the best reason I can think of that "Canadian Idiot" is on my list above such classic parodies as "Fat", "Amish Paradise", "Yoda", "Couch Potato" and others, is that it hasn't had time to grow stale in my mind.

My one other Weird Al song, which is coming up much later, is the exception rather than the rule. It is not a parody but an original, and it is quite simply the funniest song I've ever heard.

And NSpan, I try not to let the quality of a video affect my opinion of the song (especially if it's fan-made). Often I don't watch YouTube so much as just listen to it while working on other stuff.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Please tell me its "The Night Santa Went Crazy."

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Um... no.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

hmmm, then the game is afoot to figure this one out...

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

One More Minute?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Cmon we are supposed to enjoy it when it happens, not try and guess it ahead!
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Yeah I know, but as a huge Weird Al fan, this is going to bug me.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

It is not One More Minute, though if I had to pick my second-favorite non-parody, that would probably it. The most perfect break-up song ever written.

Tell you what... I'll give you one more guess. One tiny hint: it was off one of his 1990's albums.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Frank's 2000 Inch TV?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Not even close. I'll give GEEZER one more crack if he wants it.

Here's a preview of everyone's Song #98.

Three undisputed rock classics.
One undisputed pop classic (and the biggest hit EVER, chart-wise), from a pop legend.
A #1 hit ballad from the 90's.
A lesser hit by a Hall of Fame band from the 70's/80's.
A supergroup from the 60's.
An album track from one of the most influential bands of the 90's.
A Top 20 hit from a very popular 90's group.
A ballad performed by a Hall of Fame songwriter, one of the most prestigious and prodigious of all time.
A single from a UK post-hardcore group of the previous decade to this one.