Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #2): #90-#81

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #2): #90-#81

Post by silversurfer19 »

I'm still kinda sticking with cds and don't really do MP3's at all (though I upload all my cds so I can listen to them on my MP3 player). The concept of a physical cd still appeals to me much more than a file(along with the insert), and I love browsing cd stores too. Don't know if/when I will relent and start with downloads...

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I've always collected vinyl (and still do). Transitioning from CD to MP3 was no problem. CDs are so cheaply produced (and shoddily made) that I never really got the Collector's High from adding more to my hoard. For years now, even if I DO get a physical CD, I just rip it into MP3 format and give away the original.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

same here, i think i've only bought two actual CDs in the last 3-4 years, the rest is itunes or amazon.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

For me the highlights of this bunch from songs I've heard before are the 2 Morrissey tracks from Becs and Shryke. Not including songs on my list other favourites that I already knew (in no particular order) include:-

Dinosaur Jr, Wagon - (Surfer)
Foo Fighters, My Hero (Geez)
QOTSA, Go With The Flow (Trannie)
Nirvana, Lounge Act (Trannie again)
RATM, Bomb Track (W)
Soundgarden, Black Hole Sun (Becs)
Radiohead, The Tourist (Six)

My favourite new song was without a doubt Spiritualised, I Didn't Mean To Hurt You from Six. An awesome song. Thank you so much Six for introducing me to this. Other favourite new songs (in order of most liked first) include:-

Black Mountain, Druganaut (Nspan)
Nick Drake, Parasite (Surfer)
Elefant, My Apology (Becs)
T-Rex, The Slider (Nspan)
Kent, Om Du Var Har (Becs again)
Elf Power, An Old Familiar Scene (Nspan)

Overall I always seem to like Nspan's picks. I don't think you have picked a song yet that I haven't liked. Six's Becs' and Surfer's are usually interesting, and everyone else has at least chosen one song (usually more) that I like.
Looking ahead to the next 10, well 9 now, I wonder if and when Nspan will post a song I don't like? And will it again be Six that introduces me to the best song of the 70's, like it was in the 90's with Sun Kil Moon and the 80's with Spiritualised? (So far it's looking that way with Modest Mouse's Dramamine). And how long will the wife and kids let me dominate the computer every night before they've had enough. So far they have been very understanding but will their goodwill last 3 months?

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Spiritualized are mostly 90's and 00's. Don't worry, I'm working on great 80's and 70's picks ;)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I find CD's too expensive so I either buy from iTunes or just go to a library, check out the CD and copy that.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I have a bit of a beef with the likes of iTunes. Over here it costs about €10 per album. Yet a CD costs about €15 these days. Considering there's no manufacturing or shipping costs, how on earth does it cost €10 to digitally download a bunch of MP3's??? And I guarantee you the band aren't getting any more than they would ona CD sale. So it just seems like the corporations are screwing us that little bit more, especially considering it has a negative effect on your local record store.

My nearest alternative record store, Road Records, was going to close down last year. It was very sad because it was run by a couple who had a young child and this was their livelihood. fortunately, a benefit gig was arranged, and combined with Record Store Day (which was last weekend this year), they manged to stay afloat. But it taught us a valuable lesson. We shouldn't neglect record stores, there's a sense of shared space and friendliness there that can't be replicated online. There has also been a few times when I've overheard a great song and discovered great bands. Not to mention they sell gig tickets with a lower admin charge than bastards like Ticketmaster. So, looking at what I earn, I can afford to buy about 10 CDs a year, all of which I get from independent record stores. The rest I will download, whether through not-so-legal methods of sharing, or else through "discount" MP3 websites like MP3sale and the likes, who are apparently technically legal but tracks cost $0.10. Gotta love those Russians. I'm not saying it's morally correct but I just can't afford it.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

numbersix wrote:Dang. I had a 66% chance of being right. This is why I don't gamble. So which Nirvana tune didn't make the cut?
It was "Rape Me"
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Great song. It's definitely in my Top 10 Nirvana songs. It'll be interesting to see what you put ahead of it (besides Dumb)

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

numbersix wrote:Spiritualized are mostly 90's and 00's. Don't worry, I'm working on great 80's and 70's picks ;)
He meant the number of the series we are on, not the year of release :P
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Anyway, I was out in town last night and while my wife was getting her hair cut I visited my local indie record store. Coincendence of coincedences, I somehow managed to find an Elf Power cd in the sale section, so I picked up In A Cave for approximately $3 USD! As well as picking up a Throwing Muses album for the same price, I think I had a successful night. And I'm with six, LONG LIVE THE INDIE RECORD STORES!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

silversurfer19 wrote:Anyway, I was out in town last night and while my wife was getting her hair cut I visited my local indie record store. Coincendence of coincedences, I somehow managed to find an Elf Power cd in the sale section, so I picked up In A Cave for approximately $3 USD! As well as picking up a Throwing Muses album for the same price, I think I had a successful night. And I'm with six, LONG LIVE THE INDIE RECORD STORES!
When I was deciding which Elf Power song to pick, "Softly Through the Void" (from In a Cave) was a serious consideration. "Spiral Stairs," "Fried Out," and "Quiver & Quake" are also highlights on that album. Lemme know what you think.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Now that I have up to #70 in to Shryke, I can post mine up to there.

77. 1980 country song that won CMA Song of the Year two years in a row.
76. 1977 title track from one of the most successful rock bands ever.
75. 1968 rock song that's overused in film, and recalls past historical events.
74. A cover of a cover of a cover of a song from 1927 (or something like that).
73. 1970 rock song never released as a single by a band from Los Angeles.
72. 1973 - The first single from one of the best rock bands of all time.
71. 1983 song by and Outlaw Country artist that tells of an encounter with another musician.
70. 1972 popular rock song featured in a prominent scene in one of my favorite films that is also on the top 250.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I've never even heard of Elf Power. The name alone sounds like a power-up in Elf Bowling.

Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr