Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-#91

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-#86

Post by Shrykespeare »

I love the Smiths too. In fact, I will have two of their songs on my list (well, technically, one Smiths and one just by Morrissey).
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, I think we got off to a tremendous start last night. Everyone had something to say, and I can only imagine the verbal sparring that's going to go on over the next 99 days. But now it's time for:

SONG #99

Shrykespeare
#99. Weird Al Yankovic, “Canadian Idiot”

Weird Al has done a lot of great parodies over the last three decades. My rule of thumb is, the ones I enjoy the most are when he parodies songs I like. Case in point: I love “Amish Paradise” way more than “Achy Breaky Song”. There were so many to choose from, but his highest parody ends up here, although one of his non-parodies will be coming up later. It always amazes me that he and his band are so spot-on with the song’s sound, but they nail it every time. And while it’s true that over the years some artists have taken offense at his parodies, there have been many more that have deemed it an honor. I mean, you KNOW you’ve made it in the biz if Weird Al is parodying you! (My favorite story was told by Dave Grohl, who was with Kurt Cobain when “Smells Like Nirvana” debuted on MTV. And according to Dave, Kurt, the poster child for angst and depression, laughed his freakin’ ass off. How awesome is that?!)

NSpan
Zombies, “Time of the Season”
(1968)

These guys aren't remembered as much as their peers--but there was a time when The Zombies were considered a serious threat to the Brit-Pop throne of the Beatles. This song is just one of many examples that laid foundation to that claim (though the band would be broken up before it even got a proper release). The production values are through the roof (a trait common within their discography) and the song itself screams sixties aesthetics. Thematically, the song is pretty crude--but the whole thing is dressed up as a frilly love song. Gotta dig that.

Numbersix
The Guess Who, “Shakin All Over”

I admit I don’t know a lot about 50s and 60s rock n roll, but I’ve never heard vocals that are so raw, guitar that’s so pure. Maybe I’m just not looking in the right places, but you just don’t hear music like this anymore.

Geezer
Rush, “Tom Sawyer”

A few Rush songs were in contention for the list, but "Tom Sawyer" was the only one that made the cut. I couldn't leave off this sound. Some of the greatest drum work ever recorded. A true classic from a great band.

becs
White Stripes, “Seven Nation Army”

A lot of White Stripes I find pretty grating, but I love the fact that Jack is so willing to experiment. This song is the one he managed to really get it right on in every facet to me, it has this quality you only get in classic rock, it's simple and has a crazy beat.

undeadmonkey
Edwin Mccain / Sarah Evans, “I Could Not Ask For More”

Love this song, might be a bit sappy but it usually puts me in a good mood. I love both versions, although they sound almost the same, Edwin's original version brings out a bit more gruff sound to the song from his voice, and Sara's version sounds a bit cleaner and smoother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EVd_zghQXA

leestu
Jeff Buckley, “Hallelujah”

Jeff Buckley’s beautiful voice singing Leonard Cohen’s lyrics. A great combination resulting in this emotion filled version that I feel as well as hear.

Buscemi
Eric Burdon and War, “Spill The Wine”

It was between this and "Sky Pilot" but I went with this one due to its use of instruments. Too bad I couldn't find the original version for the YouTube link.

silversurfer
Portishead, “Glory Box”

Counting PJ Harvey's often psychotic warblings, the best new blues hitting my ears in the mid-nineties came from female voices. Few, if any, hit me harder than this Portishead stunner. Creeping in along a crackly sample, the song is one long, weary, confused plea. About three minutes in, Beth Gibbons halts her address and belts out "this is the beginning ... of forever ... and EVEEEEEER!" The filtered final phrase drops into a heavy drum loop, and drops me off on the corner of Cold and Alone. Absolutely chilling stuff.

transformers
Nas, “New York State Of Mind”

“Illmatic” by Nas is one of the finest albums ever made and this for sure one of its defining tracks. The beat, lyrics and ferocity of this track is what makes it so special.

W
Patsy Cline, “Crazy”

Willie Nelson does a pretty good version of this song he wrote, but vocally it really doesn't get much better than Patsy Cline.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I remember once hearing that there were two types of Rush fans: the casual fans that like Tom Sawyer and the diehard fans who absolutely hate Tom Sawyer (due to it being played more often that any other Rush song).

I guess I'd be one of the casual fans since I like the song. (Though one of the many things that I hated about I Love You, Man was that the main characters were diehard Rush fans but the song that got the most play was, you guessed it, Tom Sawyer. It just didn't seem right considering the band's large catalogue of songs and the fact that there are countless songs the filmmakers could have used rather than Tom Sawyer. Sure, Rush probably insisted on using it for their scene but that should have been the only use.)
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

My reactions:

Span – Not much to say.

Six – Definitely my favorite of the four 1970-and-before songs. The cartoon was cute, too.

Geezer – This song reminds me of summer camp in the early 80’s. I had the cool counselors, and they all had this album. And we rocked the woods of Northern Arizona!

Becs – I, too, don’t really get why the Stripes get so much hype, just like I didn’t really get why everyone went so nuts for Jane’s Addiction in the 90’s (though “Been Caught Stealing” was awesome). Guess I’m just not as cool as I thought I was.

UDM – Good song, clean, fresh, a lot to like.

Leestu – I’d probably like this more if it hadn’t appeared in a gazillion movies and killed a hundred times over in every American Idol audition show.

Buscemi – Don’t much care for Burdon’s voice, or this song.

Surfer – Beyond “Sour Times”, I’ve never been much of a Portishead fan, and only just. You’re right, though, the vocals are very interesting.

Transformers – I can count on one hand the number of gangsta rap songs I like. This isn’t one of them.

W – According to my wife, it’s my mother-in-law’s favorite song. It’s nice, but it’s pretty much the song that comes up when you look up “oldie” in the dictionary.

My favorite here is Geezer, with UDM a very distant second. Nothing else really blew my skirt up.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Indeed, I couldn't find the original version. Never really cared for live versions of songs (probably a good reason why I don't go to concerts).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Buscemi wrote:Indeed, I couldn't find the original version. Never really cared for live versions of songs (probably a good reason why I don't go to concerts).
Well, that video is labeled 2005. Not many 60s superstars sound quite as good 45 years after-the-fact.

I loved Eric Burdon with the Animals (at least when they were more of a blues/R&B cover-band--a la early Stones) but kinda lost interest in his later work... The Animals have a great compilation called Original Hits (a misnomer, seeing as most of the tracks are covers) that is worth checking out if you're interested in that early stuff.

Still, yours is a good pick.

Shrykespeare -- #99. Weird Al Yankovic, “Canadian Idiot”
Just change your username to Dr. Demento and be done with it.

Numbersix -- The Guess Who, “Shakin All Over”
I always think of The Guess Who as more of a derivative band. I dig some of their tracks, but most of them just don't feel all that authentic to me. Have you heard the original?

Geezer -- Rush, “Tom Sawyer”
Good song. Seen 'em live twice, and they STILL kick ass (though you'll want to catch 'em on a Greatest Hits-style tour... the new stuff just isn't the same). "Working Man" and "Something for Nothing" are my favorites.

becs -- White Stripes, “Seven Nation Army”
Awesome song. This track was a consideration for me. "Truth Doesn't Make a Noise", "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground", and "Astro" each made it even further. The ONE Stripes song that did make it into my final 100? I won't say.

undeadmonkey -- Edwin Mccain / Sarah Evans, “I Could Not Ask For More”
Yuck. Sorry, man. These are the moments I thank God that my radio tuner has more than one setting. ;)

leestu -- Jeff Buckley, “Hallelujah”
Dig it. Though I really don't have a problem with the original. Everyone else seems to hate it.

silversurfer -- Portishead, “Glory Box”
Awesome. I know the band, but I don't really have any in my collection. This track reminds me of Lovage. I'd explain who they are, but I think you know.

transformers -- Nas, “New York State Of Mind”
I was surprised that I actually kinda dug it. I'll give it another listen tomorrow to verify. If you get a chance, tell me what you think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FsNZHbPQwU. it was originally written and recorded around the same time..

W -- Patsy Cline, “Crazy”
Damn, Austin is so Willie-centric that I haven't heard this version in years. Great stuff.

W, Becs, and Surfer get my vote this round.
Last edited by NSpan on April 2nd, 2010, 3:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I love all the 60's/early 70's stuff on here and need to dig deeper into Eric Burdon's various forms, The Guess Who, and The Zombies (I've always loved that song, but never searched for it).

By Buscemi's definition, I'm a casual Rush fan and haven't searched out their entire discography. I need to start keeping a "research list".

Weird Al... I just got that song last week, actually. Most of his songs are hit and miss, but man, he's uberly talented at what he does. For some reason my favorite is probably "The Saga Begins."

Becs - I do like that song, and the last time I heard it I tried to remember to give them another shot.

Leestu - I don't think I could listen to this very often... Probably because we're so hit over the head with it.

UDM - Not a fan of either version.

SS - ...weird.

Tranny - Just couldn't do that one.

Shryke... I like it not because it's "an oldie," but the combination of Willie's lyrics and the gutwrenching vocal just make for a powerful song.

and before you ask, only about a third of my list are country songs, but somehow they are more concentrated towards this end of the list... So, umm... Just grit and bear it if it isn't your thing. I kind of grew up with the stuff.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Dont worry W, I like most country and am looking forward for them,

ill comment on the songs, tomorrow, just finished with a 16 hour drive and there's people sleeping and im too lazy to get my headphones

hope everyone has a good night

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Dammit, Surfer. I take it back. I still dig the song, but the best part is just a sample of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgIqCy4rvKM (Isaac Hayes - "Ike's Rap #2").

And I think the reason it grabbed me is the similarity to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6_hzqae2tw (IMonster - "Daydream in Blue")...

Which was, in turn, stolen from this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRCpQ4EPjdA (Wallace Collection - "Daydream")

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

NSpan, are you going to do this on every rap song?

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I believe there was only one rap song (Nas, “New York State Of Mind”). My response was that I dug it, and I asked Tranny if he likes a vaguely-similar song that I like which happened to come out around the same time.... Maybe Nas influenced MY guy.. I'd find that interesting

But I'd bet you're referring to Surfer's song (Portishead, “Glory Box”--aka NOT RAP)... The evolution of the song was intriguing to me.. I stated that I was totally into the Portishead version (before AND after I realized the connections)... If my posting regarding the origin(s) of music bothers you, don't read it.. If it REALLY bothers you (to the point where you're going to come to my house and kill me), I'll just stop responding altogether..
Last edited by NSpan on April 2nd, 2010, 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shryke
I find Weird Al pretty funny, but I don't regard his music (or any comedy rock) to be "real" music in that it's blatently throwaway and ultimately doesn't mean as much to me.

NSpan
Not a bad song, though it's ruined for my because it was on an ad for Bulmer's cider for a long time. And it's a tad too psychadelic for little old sober me. Oh and you're right about The Guess Who being derivative. I tried exploring their other stuff and I didn't find much to like.

Geezer
"Whatever happened to the voice of Geddy Lee? How did it get so high? I wonder does he speak like an ordinary guy?"
Didn't like it, once the synth comes out I turned off.

Becs
A really good song. Played to death on the radio and TV, but it still packs a punch. I think they've become awfully boring as of late, but they did wrte a few great tracks.

UDM
Ugh. Sorry dude, but that song sounds like something an American Idol reject would sing. Is it?

Leetsu
And speaking of American Idol, I happened to see the episode where some kid sang Buckley's version of Hallelujah and Simon Cowell stupidly said it was his favourite song. Since then every single contestant has a go at ruining it. I'm just lucky I knew and loved the song before that dark day. Absolutely stunning.

Buscemi
Yikes, I just don't get where that song is coming from. It kinda goes nowhere.

SS
I've always respected Portishead, but never got into them (although I liked how nasty their last album was). This is a good song, but I wonder who was first with that sample, Portishead or Tricky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR7ZWO3EyHo). I prefer Tricky's version.

Tranny
Nope, this song seems to be a perfect example of why I don't like most rap or hip-hop, full of gangster-talk and the glorification of being a gun-touting thug. I think any rapper who both (1) references Scarface, and (2) raps about what a good rapper he is, really needs to try and think about doing things differently.

W
Brilliant song. It still hasn't lost its power, and no one has sung it better than Patsy

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:SS
I've always respected Portishead, but never got into them (although I liked how nasty their last album was). This is a good song, but I wonder who was first with that smaple, Portishead or Tricky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR7ZWO3EyHo). I prefer Tricky's version.
No matter who got to the sample first, I like Portishead's vocals far better.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote: Numbersix -- The Guess Who, “Shakin All Over”
I always think of The Guess Who as more of a derivative band. I dig some of their tracks, but most of them just don't feel all that authentic to me. Have you heard the original?
Is that the Johnny Kidd version? If so, yeah, but I don't really like the organ in it. The Guess Who version is faster, harder, better.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote: And, Six! Wow, I tip my hat to you, sir. I spent a while last night searching for that damn song and came up with nil. (Closest I found was a never-played vinyl copy for $2 on Amazon... almost went ahead and bought it). Haven't been beat in a Google-showdown in a long while. I guess it's time to pack up my horse and leave town.
If it's any consolation I did spent 4 years of my life being a TV researcher, having to track down obscure stuff, so don't worry too much!

And Leetsu, I'm just glad someone liked Run Christian Run. I was beginning to think it was a contender for the least liked song in the Top 100