Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#51

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#51

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare: XTC, “King For A Day” (1989) - Sorry Shryke, but I didn't like this much. I much prefer their earlier sound. This just sounded like a cover band of Paul Simon's 80s stuff. Lyrics aren't bad though.

NSpan: The Kinks, "Death Of A Clown” (1967) - Yeah it wasn't a bad song, but it definitely felt like a lesser Kinks song. Dave shows his talent, but it's nothing in comparison to The Kinks's best work. And certainly doesn't feel like it should be in a Top 100

Geezer: Bob Dylan, "The Times They Are A Changin" - This is probably the best of Dylan's early career, when he was writing acoustic protest songs. Very catchy and passionate song, and it also really works with that opening montage in Watchmen (one of the few things I liked about the film). Like NSpan, I prefer his late 60's/early 70's stuff, but this is a mighty fine track.

becs: Radiohead, “2+2=5” - I found their Hail to the Thief album a bit of a disappointment. It was the start of what I consider to be their creative descent (I like their In Rainbows album even less). But this is a great song, I love the way it explodes. A brilliantly surprising choice.

undeadmonkey: Shakira, “Don't Bother” - Wait, there was music going on in that video? Never noticed ;-). Lyrics are good, but I find it hard to believe Shakira would be dumped for someone superficially better, so it comes across as a tad disingenuous. Oh, and damn you NSpan, I was totally going to use that line!

leestu: The Pixies, “Hey” (1989) (also silversurfer's #84) - Excellent song. Interesting video. Must revisit the Pixies this week.

Buscemi: Yaz, “Only You” - Err... I'm glad Depeche Mode rejected this one. It's just so musically boring that the romance sounds passionless.

silversurfer: Queens Of The Stone Age, “The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret” - Not sure if I heard this song before. Or perhaps I don't remember it. I've heard better QotSA songs, but this was still a solid rock song.

transformers: Rise Against, “Like The Angel” - This is the best song of theirs that's been posted so far, but I don't think I'll ever remember them.

W: The Doobie Brothers, “Black Water” - Yeah, not really into bluegrass (although I kinda dig it when it's live), and a little too folksy too, but okay overall. If you like this song I recommend the band Fleet Foxes.

Banks: Bone Thugs N Harmony feat The Notorious B.I.G., “Notorious Thugs” - Well it's musically better than most of the other rap songs posted so far, but I've no idea what they're on about, but if I did I probably would hate it more.

englishozzy: Rammstein, “Feuer Frei” - A little too threatrical for me.

BarcaRulz: Eskimo Joe, "Black Fingernails, Red Wine" - A little bland for me.

Ron Burgundy: Interpol, “Obstacle 1” - Major High-Five for you, Ron. We've caused Interpol to dominate this round! I love most of Turn On The Bright Lights, and this is an excellent song. Love the duelling guitars (more on where that came from later) and especially the drumming.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

My thoughts (in order of preference):

englishozzy – Rammstein, “Feuer Frei” – Ah yes, the song from the opening minutes of xXx. I had no idea until recently this was actually Rammstein. This song freakin' kicks ASS. (10)

Buscemi – Yaz, “Only You” – Well, Yaz was kind of a precursor to Erasure, so of course, I love this song. Good choice. (9)

BarcaRulz – Eskimo Joe, “Black Fingernails, Red Wine” – Never heard of this band. I liked it a lot! Can you recommend some other stuff? (8)

numbersix – Interpol, “Hands Away” – Nice song, but I had to listen to it again without being drawn in by the video. Very good either way. (7)

Geezer – Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A Changin” – I thought so at the time, and I think so now... Is Dylan's voice a little high in this recording, or is that how it really sounded when he recorded it? Whatever the case, I like this song. (6)

silversurfer – Queens of the Stone Age, “The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret” – This is the third Queens song we've heard since we started. This the most I've liked any of them, though I still consider “No One Knows” my favorite. (6)

Nspan – The Kinks, “Death of a Clown” – Again, like most of your 60's stuff, I liked it, but not enough to really seek it out again. An interesting perspective on rock history you have. (6)

transformers – Rise Against, “Like the Angel” – Pretty cool. Kind of Offspring-y, like “The Kids Aren't All Right”. (6)

Ron Burgundy – Interpol, “Obstacle 1” – Sorry, Ron, but six's Interpol song was better. This one made no impact on me at all. (5)

undeadmonkey – Shakira, “Don't Bother” – Not bad to listen to. Or look at. (5)

W – Doobie Brothers, “Black Water” – Hmm, haven't had a song like this in your list in quite a long time. Good for a listen, but that's about it. Bet Nspan will like it, though. (5)

becs – Radiohead, “2+2=5” – Radiohead is hit or miss with me. This one missed. But don't worry, miss, this is your first “miss” with me in ten songs, so that's okay. (4)

Banks – Bone Thugs N Harmony feat. Notorious B.I.G., “Notorious Thugs” – Nope, not for me. (2)

leestu – Pixies, “Hey” – Sorry, man. Hate this song. (2)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shryke- didnt grab me at all.

NSpan- nothing special. Sounded like a million other songs from the period.

Six- by far the best Interpol song I've ever heard, because it sounded nothing like Interpol.

becs- Damn, Radiohead just gets worse and worse the more I hear them.

UDM- yeah, Shakira's voice is so unbearable I can only get through a few seconds.

leestu- this is one of the ok Pixies songs.

Buscemi- I doubt I'll listen to this again.

Surfer- I like it, not blown away, but good.

Tranny- you just rescued the round! You'll be seeing this one later on my friend. Easily amongst their best.

W- very good pick W.

Banks- the guy that wrote "RIP to all the follown soldiers in the game" is exactly the type of person I imagine would listen to this shit.

Ozzy- I had never heard any song by Rammstein other than Du Hast, and ya know, I wish I had kept it that way.

Barca- it was good, we'll see if it sticks with some more listens.

Ron Burgundy- now THIS is the Interpol I've come to know and hate!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shrykespeare - XTC, “King For A Day”
Not a bad song, rings a bell, my parents must of played it a lot when i was younger.
NSpan - The Kinks, "Death Of A Clown”
Don't mind a few of the Kinks songs and i quite enjoyed this one.
Numbersix - Interpol, "Hands Away"
A very good group that i believe is at there best when they reproduce progressive rock songs like these. Good pick.
Geezer - Bob Dylan, "The Times They Are A Changin"
Love this song and actually have it on my list a bit further up.
becs - Radiohead, “2+2=5”
Nice song, haven't heard of this one before this so twas nice.
undeadmonkey - Shakira, “Don't Bother”
It was OK, nothing really stands out about this song though.
leestu - The Pixies, “Hey”
Will be searching for the studio version after finishing this thread, deserves a second listen.
Buscemi - Yaz, “Only You”
Don't know if this was sung by a different person or not as this song rings a bell but i swear it sounded slightly different last time.
silversurfer - Queens Of The Stone Age, “The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret”
There is definately better songs out there by these guys but still a good song.
transformers - Rise Against, “Like The Angel”
Good songs from these guys just keep on coming on this countdown. My second favourite band of all time. Great pick.
W - The Doobie Brothers, “Black Water”
Twas OK, had good parts but probably wont listen to it again.
Banks - Bone Thugs N Harmony feat The Notorious B.I.G., “Notorious Thugs”
Not really my type of music but had a few parts in there that kept me listening.
BarcaRulz - Eskimo Joe, "Black Fingernails, Red Wine"
Unfortunately this song did get pretty old pretty quickly for me, although it has been a while since i last heard it so wasn't too bad.
Ron Burgundy - Interpol, “Obstacle 1”
Preferred Numbersix song over this one but still a good song.
"Then telephone for an axe"

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shrykespeare wrote:
Never heard of this band. I liked it a lot! Can you recommend some other stuff?

They have had a few hit songs over here, namely 'From the Sea', 'Older Than You', 'Sarah', 'New York' and most recently 'Foreign Land'

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

englishozzy wrote:
Shrykespeare wrote:
Never heard of this band. I liked it a lot! Can you recommend some other stuff?

They have had a few hit songs over here, namely 'From the Sea', 'Older Than You', 'Sarah', 'New York' and most recently 'Foreign Land'
Yep.. Also, 'Wake Up'.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Shrykespeare - XTC, “King For A Day”
Wasn't really my thing.
NSpan - The Kinks, "Death Of A Clown”
It is an alright song not one of The Kinks better tracks imo.
Numbersix - Interpol, "Hands Away"
Great song. Interpol is highly underated.
Geezer - Bob Dylan, "The Times They Are A Changin"
I hate Bob Dylan but I must say that it fit very well with the opening credits to Watchmen.
becs - Radiohead, “2+2=5”
Raidohead really annoys me sorry.
undeadmonkey - Shakira, “Don't Bother”
Shakira is nice to look at but that's about it.
leestu - The Pixies, “Hey”
The Pixies have never really done anything for me.
Buscemi - Yaz, “Only You”
Hated it sorry.
silversurfer - Queens Of The Stone Age, “The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret”
Spectacular. Can never go wrong with QOTSA.
W - The Doobie Brothers, “Black Water”
Not A fan.
Banks - Bone Thugs N Harmony feat The Notorious B.I.G., “Notorious Thugs”
I like Biggie but this song is lame.
englishozzy: Rammstein, “Feuer Frei”
Love this song. It is on my list as well. Rammstien is amazing.
BarcaRulz - Eskimo Joe, "Black Fingernails, Red Wine"
I dug it. This was an interesting track.
Ron Burgundy - Interpol, “Obstacle 1”
Not one of my favorite Interpol songs but it is not at all bad.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Numbersix
Interpol, "Hands Away"
(2002)
that was amazing and the video was inspiring. thank you. I think everyone needs to be reminded every once in a while about something like this, a lot of these kids probably lead difficult lives and yet they are this happy. while a lot of us, who have everything that we need and can have 'normal' lives are so unsatisfied.

Shrykespeare
XTC, “King For A Day”
(1989)
good stuff, i enjoyed it. although i dont really remember your other pick from them, i think i liked this one better :lol:

NSpan
The Kinks, "Death Of A Clown”
(1967)
interesting analogy between the two bands. as for the song, it was decent enough, almost interested enough to look into more. but we'll see how it holds up, i tend to go listen to the songs i liked the day before and check them out again, to see how i feel about them. and if they do hold up, they go on my 'check out more stuff from these bands' list

Geezer
Bob Dylan, "The Times They Are A Changin"

yea, the song is good. but i do think the title sequence is a bit overrated, i'm not saying it's bad, its good, it tells a lot of information in a short space of time without a single line of dialogue, i just dont think there is anything that unique or innovative about it.

Banks
Kanye West, “Welcome To Heartbreak”

i hadnt heard this one before, was good. still like Street Lights better, but this was really good too

Geezer/becs
Queen, "Bohemian Rhapsody"

yes, fun song. funny thing is, lady gaga has always reminded me of a mix between bowie and queen. so that's how i kinda see Queen.

englishozzy/BarcaRulz
The Raconteurs, “Steady, As She Goes”

i loved this song when it came out. but i got bored of it after hearing it a lot, still not bad though

Numbersix
The Fall, "Totally Wired"
(1980)
it actually was kinda catchy

silversurfer
Idlewild, “When I Argue I See Shapes”

that was good, i enjoyed it

W
The Doors, “Roadhouse Blues”

wasnt bad, but there are other versions of this song that i like better

becs
Radiohead, “2+2=5”

i really liked the music and the lyrics but i could not get past the voice. it sounded like he was straining to be in tune. it got a little better toward the end where he sang faster. much different then the other radiohead song that i enjoyed.

leestu
The Pixies, “Hey”
(1989) (also silversurfer's #84)
I dont remember this song from before. that being said, i kinda enjoyed it.

silversurfer
Queens Of The Stone Age, “The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret”

didnt hate it, was definitely interesting enough to keep my attention

W
The Doobie Brothers, “Black Water”

that was fun, i liked it.

Banks
Bone Thugs N Harmony feat The Notorious B.I.G., “Notorious Thugs”

I liked it, the beat was good

BarcaRulz
Eskimo Joe, "Black Fingernails, Red Wine"

not bad, was decent enough

Ron Burgundy
Interpol, “Obstacle 1”

didnt like this as much as the other interpol song, still not bad though.

Shrykespeare
Art of Noise, “Close (to the Edit)”
(1984)
the video was strange, but as for the song, i couldnt get into it

NSpan
Cream, "Politician”
(1968)
didnt like it, the lyrics were spot on though

englishozzy
Rammstein, “Feuer Frei”

hah, a band made you learn german, that's kinda funny. I know german, i grew up on it so i can speak it and understand it, but in high school we had to learn a foreign language, so i picked german instead of spanish, because i thought it would be easy because i understood it. nope, it was horridly difficult, so i switched to spanish. as for the song, i didnt like it. 'du hast' is kinda like a funny song, (well i perceive it that way) and these 'serious' ones i just cant get into and i hate his voice.

leestu
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, “The Mercy Seat”
(1988)
interesting, but not for me

transformers
Sublime, “Garden Grove”

wasnt a fan

Ron Burgundy
Rage Against the Machine, “Testify”

still not a fan....

undeadmonkey
Shakira, “Don't Bother”

you my friend have great taste!, ( haha, just messing with you guys :roll: ). i just wanted to add, i really enjoy the cinematography in the latter part of the video, no it isnt unique and yes it's simple but i like it.

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

Catching up:

SONG #55:

becs/Geezer - While I do enjoy this song, I believe it is over-rated by alot of people, so I was glad that you two had it outside of the top50 cause IMO Queen had some much better stuff. 6.5/10.

englishozzy - pfff what a crap song in a crap position.. ;) 10/10

Shryke - Well, the first time I heard this song and saw this video was right now. To be honest I would have rather not as it got a little bit irritating. 2/10.

Nspan - Was not really my thing, although it did have its moments. 4/10.

numbersix - Liked it, was pretty catchy and had some great music. 6.5/10.

UDM - Not even a little bit. 1/10.

leestu - Not my thing, although it had its moments. 4/10.

Buscemi - Not even a little bit. 1/10.

SS - Was pretty good, although I didn't see much Foo in there. 6/10.

tranny - Not really my thing, but it wasn't bad. 4.5/10.

W - Was Ok, but too long IMO. 5/10.

Banks - Not even a little bit. 1/10.

Ron - I enjoy a lot of their other stuff more, but this wasn't bad. 5.5/10.

One of the weaker rounds IMO.

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

Current Round:

Shryke - Never really got into it, had some Ok moments. 3/10.

Nspan - Didn't mind it, was Ok. 5.5/10.

numbersix - Never heard this one before and I loved it, great relaxing music. 8/10.

Geezer - Pretty good song, although not his best IMO. 6/10.

becs - Like alot of their stuff, but this one is not one that I do like, has its moments though. 3/10.

UDM - I will never turn down watching a Shakira video, but i'm telling you now it ain't for the music, although this song had its moments. 3/10.

leestu - Never heard this one before, and it was pretty good. 6/10.

Buscemi - Oh dear god... I think 'wtf' best describes how I felt watching/listening to this. 1/10.

SS - Nicely done, always nice to hear some of QotSA, and this one is probably the one I like the most. 8/10.

tranny - Enjoy alot of the bands work, this included. My favorite for them is 'Ready to Fall'. 7.5/10.

W - Not even a little bit. 1/10.

Banks - Not even a little bit. 1/10.

englishozzy - Was pretty good. 5.5/10.

Ron - Really enjoyed #6s pick more, but this one was pretty good in its own right. 5.5/10.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

undeadmonkey wrote:Shrykespeare
XTC, “King For A Day”
(1989)
good stuff, i enjoyed it. although i dont really remember your other pick from them, i think i liked this one better :lol:
My other XTC song was "Generals and Majors".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9wBEA_PYnE

Glad you liked it.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#5

Post by Shrykespeare »

Just heard from leestu that he will be away from home and out of the country for a much-needed vacation. He sent me enough songs to cover his absence, but I just thought I should mention it in case you wonder where he's been.

SONG #53

Shrykespeare
Smash Mouth, “Fallen Horses”
(1999)

If I say the words “space age beach music”, who comes to mind? I would probably guess, either the B-52's or Smash Mouth (or possibly The Cramps, if you're feeling frisky). Astro Lounge was one of my favorite albums of the 90’s, most because it spawned terrific songs like “Then the Morning Comes”, “All Star”, “Come On Come On”, and this one, whose stratospheric synthesizers blend perfectly with Steve Harwell’s often rough-and-tumble vocals. (Though the way “All Star” got bashed at the beginning of this thread, I'm not expecting much love. This song will either blow you away or send you screaming into the night.)

NSpan
Pixies, "Hey”
(1989) (also silversurfer's #84 and leestu's #54)

My second-favorite Pixies song--but it comes damn close (and you'll see just how close tomorrow). One of Frank Black's masterpieces. The album, Doolittle, itself is brilliant from start to finish. The reality of the grunge movement (in terms of rock "history") is that Frank Black probably deserves most of the credit that is otherwise showered upon Kurt Cobain, but--sadly--Francis was not exactly Rock God material, what with him being fat, bald, and alive. He just couldn't compete with a good-looking dead guy. And critics just LOVE dead artists. The problem with the pesky Living is that there always remains a chance that they might create something new that is universally regarded as dogshit. And then the critic, who previously praised that artist as a "genius," suddenly looks like the Q-hole. But, when an artist dies young, it's so easy just to assume that he would have exclusively produced works of sheer genius had he only lived a bit longer. In reality, Kurt Cobain had probably already given us the best he had to offer when the world lost him in '94. And, though Frank Black continues to make great music even to this day, he hasn't exactly been pumping out Doolittles and Surfer Rosas on an annual basis. The fact that Kurt openly admitted that he was heavily influenced by the Pixies (even going as far as claiming he was blatantly ripping them off) is just icing for Frank Black's case. Doolittle came out three years before Nevermind. And, though the Pixies didn't enjoy the kind of mainstream success that Nirvana did, they weren't exactly an "underground" band either.

Numbersix
The Rapture, "House of Jealous Lovers"
(2003)

Back in 2003 this was an alternative anthem. One of the better bands of the post-punk revival, The Rapture totally exemplified the right mix of danceable beats and trashy, raw punk power. I was lucky to see these guys live in the summer of '03, in a tiny tent with about three dozen people while the rest bored themselves to The Thrills. And man, did they blow me away with their energy. And their use of cowbell.

There’s an official music video which is rather brilliant. Anyone interested can watch it here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2v4p6 ... vers_music

Geezer
Bad Religion- "Los Angeles is Burning"

It was only a matter of time before I got back to some good old punk rock! Easily one of the best tracks from this incredible band. What a catalog they have! There will be one more from them higher up on my list. Greg Graffin's voice and stage presence combined with outstanding lyrics, drums and guitars rock their way to number 53.

becs
Antony and the Johnsons, “Hope There's Someone”

One of the most beautiful vibrato voices you will ever hear, Antony is often erroneously identified as a black woman by those who have only heard the songs without knowing who is singing (most notably this happened when Bjork was sent a tape of one of the band's songs), especially after covering (quite well) Millie Jackson's "Child of God". Antony is a bit unusual as far as musical style goes, but his powerful crisp voice and meaningful lyrics always shine through.

undeadmonkey
Alison Krauss and Union Station, “Let Me Touch You for a While”

My 2nd of two songs by this band, although there is a duet of Alison with another artist coming up. I love her voice, its so clean and pure and effortless and it goes great with the bluegrass music.

leestu
The Velvet Underground, “Pale Blue Eyes”
(1969)

It’s a sweet, gentle, beautiful song. Sorry about the video. The lyrics printed on the screen are redundant because they are sung so clearly anyway but the other option was a shitty shaky fan made video. I suggest not watching the video and listening to the lyrics rather than reading along.

Buscemi
Nancy Adams, “Love”

Possibly my favorite song in a Disney movie. Sure you've got all of the Tin Pan Alley/Alan Menken/Randy Newman songs out there but this one stands out the most. It really doesn't sound like a song from a Disney movie, but it stands well enough on its own.

silversurfer
Mansun, “Six”

This was the song which opened their more experimental concept album of the same name, and it was a mind blowing experience for me. Merging their pop sensibilities from Attack Of The Grey Lantern with a more ambitious approach, the song explores many different tempos and genres even in the same song.

transformers
Rage Against The Machine, “Calm Like A Bomb”

The first of many Rage tracks on my list. One of the most influential bands of all time. What I love about this track in particular is Tom Morello's dizzying guitar work.

W
Queen, “Killer Queen”

With “Bohemian Rhapsody”, the most Queen of any Queen song. Just supremely talented guys musically.

Banks
50 Cent, “Baltimore Love Thing”

After 50’s first two albums, he really fell off and disappeared. But this is one of the standout tracks from his second CD, where he tries to create a song around a metaphor linking a love story and an addiction to heroin. Love that he stepped out his box for a little while.

englishozzy
The Ramones, “I Wanna Be Sedated”
(also becs's #67)

With their direct style these guys blew apart the scene back in the 70's. I find it hard to find a band from that era that I actually can stand for long periods of time. Great song, great band.

BarcaRulz
The Frames, "Revelate"

Well, after watching Once and loving the music, I started to listen to music by The Frames. Was very happy with the quality of a lot of their material, and especially pleased with two songs, one being “Red Chord” (not on my list), and the other being this one. Exciting music, nice lyrics, and a nice tune as well.

Ron Burgundy
Gotye, “Thanks For Your Time”

Awesome sounds in this song, Gotye won Australia's best album in 2008, if you haven't heard of him, maybe you could check him out, you wont regret it.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Shrykespeare wrote:Just heard from leestu that he will be away from home and out of the country for a much-needed vacation. He sent me enough songs to cover his absence, but I just thought I should mention it in case you wonder where he's been.
leestu -- The Velvet Underground, “Pale Blue Eyes” (1969)
Disappointed by his absence because Leestu's pick currently stands as my absolute favorite song of this entire countdown so far--over and above everybody's picks (even my own). Virtual virtual high five.

undeadmonkey -- Alison Krauss and Union Station, “Let Me Touch You for a While”
Kate loved it.

Buscemi -- Nancy Adams, “Love”
Another pick of yours that Kate knew inside-and-out--but I didn't recognize at all.

silversurfer -- Mansun, “Six”
Gonna listen to this one again. Not sure if there's something there--but willing to find out.

transformers -- Rage Against The Machine, “Calm Like A Bomb”
Almost forgot about this song. Not their best, but not bad either.

W -- Queen, “Killer Queen”
I love this song. Hilarious lyrics, too.

Banks -- 50 Cent, “Baltimore Love Thing”
Not for me. AND it's sampled.

englishozzy -- The Ramones, “I Wanna Be Sedated” (also becs's #67)
One of my favorites from these guys.

BarcaRulz -- The Frames, "Revelate"
Not completely horrible, I guess. But it kinda reminded me of a mix between Dave Matthews and Blues Traveler (both of whom I hate), but with a synth solo.

Ron Burgundy -- Gotye, “Thanks For Your Time”
Weird... but not in such a bad way. Got a bit boring when the music stopped halfway-through though.

more to come
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare: Smash Mouth, “Fallen Horses” (1999) - Oh dear oh dear. The best I can say is that it's not as annoying as All Star, but what is? Instead, this is a frankly boring song that eventually grates. Nothing redeemable about it. I'm screaming into the night.

NSpan: Pixies, "Hey” (1989) (also silversurfer's #84 and leestu's #54) - Is this going to be the most popular Pixies song on the forum? More so than Debaser/Gigantic/Monkey Gone to Heaven/Where is my Mind? Wll, no complaints here. It was one of the first Pixies songs I ever heard (a mate gave a compilation tape. That's right, a cassette. Look it up on wikipedia, Tranny), and I love it.

Geezer: Bad Religion- "Los Angeles is Burning" - I was going to say these guys sound like they want to be Green Day until I realised they've been playing since 1980! But considering this is from 2004 has their sound changed to fit that pop-punk sound that was so big in the 90's? Regardless, it's okay, but nothing to write home about.

becs: Antony and the Johnsons, “Hope There's Someone” - Can't wait to hear what Geez says about this one! I'm not a huge fan of Anthony's records, but I do love this song. Theatrical, but not overblown.

undeadmonkey: Alison Krauss and Union Station, “Let Me Touch You for a While” - Glad there's no more of this. It's almost the epitome of corny. I mean, it seems to be a sexualised song but it comes across as so bloody sentimental and trite. Which is it, Alison, which is it?

leestu: The Velvet Underground, “Pale Blue Eyes” (1969) - Really like this song. One of the first VU songs I heard, because a late-night DJ would play it regularly. It weas another contender for my own list. Wonderfully tender.

Buscemi: Nancy Adams, “Love” - Feel like I could only appreciate this if I were sipping martinis in a hot tub in 1958. Cliched lyrics.

silversurfer: Mansun, “Six” - Kudos to you, sir, for being brave enough to represent this record. It pretty much killed Mansun's career. They were going so well as a sort of post-Britpop indie group. and then they made a prog-rock concept album. But I can't fault them, their source for the album's concept is the same source for my avatar! Musically, they're like a lovechild of the Manic Street Preachers and Radiohead, and there's some moments of genius on this record, Six being one of them.

transformers: Rage Against The Machine, “Calm Like A Bomb” - A decent song, but their sound never seemed to progress, and their first album is just that much better.

W: Queen, “Killer Queen” - A very good song. Very eloquent lyrics.

Banks: 50 Cent, “Baltimore Love Thing” - Looks like Fiddy was watching The Wire. Actually, I'm just shocked that he knows what a metaphor is.

englishozzy: The Ramones, “I Wanna Be Sedated” (also becs's #67) - Still fun!

BarcaRulz: The Frames, "Revelate" - this song made The Frames. It's their only song that got any radio play over here. It's a really good song, with Glen demonstrating his vocal skills early on. Still their best song, although I recommend their Dance the Devil album in its entirety. Pointless fact: the Frames are the band I have seen the most times live, but I never went to see them.

Ron Burgundy: Gotye, “Thanks For Your Time”: What in god's name is this? A song about being on hold. It's a novelty song, I get that, but the novelty wears thin real fast. Give me their neighbours Flight of the Conchords above this any day.
Last edited by numbersix on May 18th, 2010, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shrykespeare - Smash Mouth, “Fallen Horses”
OK song, didn't hate it but didn't overly like it either. 5/10
NSpan - Pixies, "Hey”
See earlier comments. 6/10
Numbersix - The Rapture, "House of Jealous Lovers"
Had nothing really going for it for me. 3/10
becs - Antony and the Johnsons, “Hope There's Someone”
Like the song but could not deal with his voice. 4/10
undeadmonkey - Alison Krauss and Union Station, “Let Me Touch You for a While”
Quite enjoyed this song, never really my type of music but Alison Krauss kept me interested. 7/10
leestu - The Velvet Underground, “Pale Blue Eyes”
A very familiar song for me but can't quite place where i have heard this before. 6/10
Buscemi - Nancy Adams, “Love”
Bit out of my era on this one. 3/10
silversurfer - Mansun, “Six”
Not a bad song, had glimpses but could of been better. 5/10
transformers - Rage Against The Machine, “Calm Like A Bomb”
Prefer the other two RATM songs weve had so far but still good. 6/10
W - Queen, “Killer Queen”
Can't say i didn't like it but hey its Queen i think you are obligated to enjoy thier songs. 6/10
Banks - 50 Cent, “Baltimore Love Thing”
Not really for me although appreciate the lyrics. 3/10
BarcaRulz - The Frames, "Revelate"
Ya not really for me this song, couldn't get into it. 3/10
Ron Burgundy - Gotye, “Thanks For Your Time”
Heard this song a few times pretty good. 6/10