Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#51

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#51

Post by Shrykespeare »

Wow. For it to happen once is remarkable. For it to happen twice is incredible. For it to happen twice in the SAME DAY is just off the charts. Yes, it has happened again... two people, same song, same video, same day. Twice. And once again, I will give them top billing.

SONG #55

Geezer/becs
Queen, "Bohemian Rhapsody"

Geezer:
A classic for all time. No real explanation needed.

becs:
Yes, I'm as surprised as as you that this isn't occurring higher, but thats a testament to just how many great songs they have that this isn't the highest rated in my opinion, though I can't imagine this will be the only time this track pops up in our countdown. This is actually my general ringtone and alarm clock on my phone, so I wake up to "I see a little silhouetto of a man..." every morning, and it hasn't yet gotten old in about a year.

(Moderator's Note: Both versions of the video submitted were of the actual video, but I picked Geezer's over becs' because it didn't have any “extras” (ads, popups, etc.))

englishozzy/BarcaRulz
The Raconteurs, “Steady, As She Goes”

englishozzy:
I was really worried when Jack White announced a solo project, didn't think he could pull off what he does with anybody else. But this song proves it. This song was their first single from their first album 'Broken Boy Soldiers'.

BarcaRulz:
Had not heard of this song, or band for that matter, until recently. Still, I always liked Jack White and decided to give them a chance because of that. I'm very happy that I did as some of their songs are very entertaining, and at the very least they can keep you interested till the end. Best thing about this song IMO is the musical aspect.

Shrykespeare
Art of Noise, “Close (to the Edit)”
(1984)

Where were you when you first heard THIS song? Or saw this video? Me, I was 17 years old, watching “Night Tracks” on late-night cable in 1986. Back in those days, you only got the coolest, most out-there videos in the wee hours, usually followed by the animated French movie “Fantastic Planet”. I believe this was one of the earliest records that featured sound sampling as a significant percentage of its content. And the video? A four-year-old girl dressed like a punk rocker directing three strange-looking men with tools of destruction to wail away on a variety of musical instruments? No one's ever made a video like this, that's for sure. Me, I think it’s still cool as hell, even 26 years later. (Plus, thanks to the guy who posted it, it's educational as well. For example, the song gets its title from "Close to the Edge" by Yes, and also samples "Leave It", a song also by Yes.)

NSpan
Cream, "Politician”
(1968)

Note: please ignore the visuals on this one. This is one of the great "monster" riffs of all time (think: "Iron Man," "Smoke on the Water," "Back in Black," or even "Kashmir"). Heavy, ominous, awesome. Eric Clapton gets all the credit nowadays, but Cream was Jack Bruce's band. He (with the help of lyricist Pete Brown) wrote several of the great songs that, nowadays, people just seem to attribute to Clapton ("I Feel Free," "White Room," etc.). Bruce sings lead vocals on most Cream tracks--and this is no exception. His bass dominates this song, and the lyrics are stellar... which is especially cool, because these guys could've been singing pure gibberish and been just as successful due to their collective musicianship. It's no surprise that the band crumbled beneath the weight of their own excesses. I'm just glad the tapes were running when they really were on top of the world.

Numbersix
The Fall, "Totally Wired"
(1980)

Another post-punk anthem, The Fall are more like workers than musicians, constantly tending to their sound, releasing album after album over the last 25 or so years. This was one of their earliest hits, a trashy ode to being completely off your head. The sentiment may be dumb (although there is a sense of self-awareness in the coda “I’m always worried”), but the song is as catchy as hell and it’s been sampled in a lot of other songs since.

undeadmonkey
Jason Aldean, “Big Green Tractor”

This is me embracing where I'm from, a small little town in west Texas. If you know me, that took 21 years of my life. It's ironic a lot of my songs are about getting out of my little town, and the year I do, I find a song.

P.S. If you've noticed, the closer the songs get to #1, the more personal my songs are becoming. Even though i might be a bit vague in my explanations. Enjoy.

leestu
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, “The Mercy Seat”
(1988)

Powerful music provides the right sound for this powerful song that explores the thoughts and emotions of a man on death row from his perspective. There’s a few songs on my list that I like because they take me to places and experiences, through the music and the lyrics, that I will never go to or experience in real life.

Buscemi
Tom Tom Club, “Genius Of Love”

A side project of Talking Heads, this was Tom Tom Club's only hit song. However, it's fun to listen to. And despite being connected with Talking Heads (and being performed in Stop Making Sense), it actually doesn't sound like Talking Heads at all. I guess that is what's called being versatile.

silversurfer
Idlewild, “When I Argue I See Shapes”

The song which got me into these Scottish rockers, just a really catchy song which mixes a little Foo Fighters with their native rock roots. Immediate and energetic, they get a lot in under 4 minutes, but every second of it is a pleasure.

transformers
Sublime, “Garden Grove”

Sublime was a great band. Its a damn shame Brad Norwell had to overdose on heroin; these guys' combination of reggae and punk just blended so well.

W
The Doors, “Roadhouse Blues”

Hear the organ? Hear the lead singer? That's the difference between The Doors and the Stones. I heard a horrible rendition of this by a band at a party the other day... I had to walk out.

Banks
Kanye West, “Welcome To Heartbreak”

This song has an official music video, but it’s terrible and pretty much ruins the song. This is the last song from “808’s & Heartbreaks” (promise!) and is easily my favorite, mostly because he’s talking about something other than his ex-fiancé. This touches on how money cannot bring you everything, which is like the opposite message of most rap songs. This feels like his most heartfelt song to me (besides maybe Hey Mama) because I think it’s really a glimpse into his everyday life. I’m not one to feel sorry for a multi-millionaire, but still, I guess I can sympathize. This song is based off a freestyle he did in concert in Japan where he started crying midway through.

Ron Burgundy
Rage Against the Machine, “Testify”

RAtM opened with this song when I saw them live at the Big Day Out a bit over 2 years ago, it was the single greatest live song I had ever seen, at the time, probably in the top 3 bands live I ever saw...wait, not probably...definitely!

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Geezer/becs - Queen, "Bohemian Rhapsody"
Classic song, didn't make my list but thought about it. Good pick.
Shrykespeare - Art of Noise, “Close (to the Edit)”
Couldn't really get into this one, bit out their for me.
NSpan - Cream, "Politician”
Sorry didn't really get on with this song. Some nice guitar work though.
Numbersix - The Fall, "Totally Wired"
OK song, had something about it that kept me interested in the song.
undeadmonkey - Jason Aldean, “Big Green Tractor”
Country music is definatley not me, didn't really like this one.
leestu - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, “The Mercy Seat”
Not really for me this song. Strong lyrics though.
Buscemi - Tom Tom Club, “Genius Of Love”
Couldn't really get into this song as well as i hoped.
silversurfer - Idlewild, “When I Argue I See Shapes”
Quite liked this song, can't really see the resemblence to Foo Fighters but still a good song.
transformers - Sublime, “Garden Grove”
Not really my style of music, couldn't really get into it.
W - The Doors, “Roadhouse Blues”
Not really for me, these guys and Rolling Stones.
Banks - Kanye West, “Welcome To Heartbreak”
Man you really like this guy, not a bad sng though.
Ron Burgundy - Rage Against the Machine, “Testify”
Good song from the legendry band.
"Then telephone for an axe"

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Geezer/becs: Queen, "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Good picks for both of you. A briliantly constructed piece of rock music. It almost feels opratic in places, but that's countered by the beautiful "it doesn't really matter" section.

englishozzy/BarcaRulz: The Raconteurs, “Steady, As She Goes” - It feels refreashing to hear Jack White sing with a bass guitar being played alongside him! The Racounteurs have never really caught my attention, as they came along just as I was getting bored of the Stripes, but this is certainly a strong song.

Shrykespeare: Art of Noise, “Close (to the Edit)” (1984) - Yeah, I remember this as a kid, when it was played on Sunday afternoon music shows. Its video fascinated me in the same way as Road to Nowhere and Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer. I do appreciate the music, in that these guys were trying to rip up conventions and create somethign new, like Herbie Hancock. And the tune is good. But it just feels like it needs the visuals. It goes on for 7 minutes and it doesn't need all that time.

NSpan: Cream, "Politician” (1968) - I think my mother had a best of Clapton/Cream CD around a few years ago, and I listened to it after hearing Sunshine of your Love on Goodfellas. So I only know about 7 or so Cream song, but I liked them all. This is new to me, but I really liked the riff, and the lyrics were quite satirical too. So great pick!

undeadmonkey: Jason Aldean, “Big Green Tractor” - When I saw the title of this track I assumed this was going to be a comedy song. Song with tractor in the title just can't be serious, right? Nope, I was half-wrong. It istrying to be serious, but it comes across as so corny I almost laughed.

leestu: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, “The Mercy Seat” (1988) - One of Nick Cave's best songs. Brilliantly dark music. IS that a looped cello? And the lyrics are some of the best I've ever heard. Not only do they work on paper, but Cave's delivery is spot on.

Buscemi: Tom Tom Club, “Genius Of Love” - This song is okay, but I'd pick almost every Talking heads song over this. And it's funny you think they don't sound like the Heads, I definitely hear the similarities. But yeah, these guys formed the Tom Tom Club because Byrne wouldn't let them write any songs. And I think he was right.

silversurfer: Idlewild, “When I Argue I See Shapes” - I tried to get into Idlewild when they first came out, but they just didn't grab me. I can hear a bit of the Foo Fighters in them, but it's certainly the weaker side of that band.

transformers: Sublime, “Garden Grove” - Not sure what to make of this song. Is it hip-hop? Is it Specials-inspired ska? Odd, but intriguing in some ways.

W: The Doors, “Roadhouse Blues” - Huh, this actually wasn't too bad. I guess its the blues element of the song I dug. I still think it's WAY too long. As for the Stones comparison, I think Jagger kicks Morrisson's ass. And his lyrics were better. Hell, the Stones were better in every which way as far as I'm concerned.

Banks: Kanye West, “Welcome To Heartbreak” - Musically it didn't grab me as much as some other Kanye songs, but I did like the message.

Ron Burgundy: Rage Against the Machine, “Testify” - Not bad, but I prefer a lot of the stuff off their first album way more.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Ozzy/Barca- I just dont like this song, it annoys me

Shryke- that was just awful.

NSpan- I didn't like this Cream offering.

6- I don't really need to say it do I?

UDM- good for you, but doesn't translate for those of us not in your situation I'm afraid.

leestu- nope

boush- stupid 80's song

surfer- Thank you surfer! You broke up the dreck! First good song of the day (well other than becs and mine of course)

Tranny- great pick! Very underrated Sublime track. Love it.

W- great selection, one of the best Doors songs.

Banks- "Kanye West"

Ron- Good song.

Surfer, Tranny, W and of course Becs were great.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

SONG #55

englishozzy/BarcaRulz

I really enjoy this song a lot more than the majority of his work as the white stripes, so good pick.

Shrykespeare
Art of Noise, “Close (to the Edit)”
(1984)

"Where were you when you first heard THIS song? Or saw this video? " um.. sitting right here. I've never seen/heard this before, and I'm not sure I was the worse for it.

NSpan
Cream, "Politician”
(1968)
Another middle of the road pick for me.

Numbersix
The Fall, "Totally Wired"
(1980)
Pretty good, but I don't think I would ever consider it for a top 100.

undeadmonkey
Jason Aldean, “Big Green Tractor”

Reminds me of home as well, unfortunately that is not any good nostalgia, didn't like it was it wasn't anywhere near as bad as some of the other stuff we've heard :)

leestu
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, “The Mercy Seat”
(1988)
Significantly better than the previous songs from these guys, quite liked it.

Buscemi
Tom Tom Club, “Genius Of Love”

Decent pick, not something I would ever seek out though.

silversurfer
Idlewild, “When I Argue I See Shapes”

Very solid selection, I liked it.

transformers
Sublime, “Garden Grove”

HEY! These guys popped up on the radio while I was driving on friday and I thought to myself "I can't believe they haven't shown up on the countdown at all yet." Good pick, I do really enjoy their unique stylings.

W
The Doors, “Roadhouse Blues”

WAY too long. Not a fan, sorry.

Banks
Kanye West, “Welcome To Heartbreak”

A little bland music-wise, but I liked it.

*Ron Burgundy
Rage Against the Machine, “Testify”

Good song, classic rage.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

My thoughts (in order of preference):

Buscemi – Tom Tom Club, “Genius of Love” – This song was cemented on my Top 100 list, but unfortunately, a few songs came to mind after we'd started, and sadly, this one (which would have been in the 80's) got the boot. I was sad to see it go, but I already knew it would appear on your list, so that made me feel a little better. It's such a great, catchy song. And thanks for posting the longer version, I always preferred that over the shorter version one, even though that version had an actual video. (And when I first heard Mariah Carey's bastardized sampling of this song in her #1 hit “Fantasy”, I vowed then and there to never listen to her again.) (10)

Geezer/becs – Queen, “Bohemian Rhapsody” – Sadly, I (along with probably millions of others) will not ever hear this song without flashing back to that scene in Wayne's World... which is not a bad thing, as it made this song a hit all over again. Great choice, you two. “Pardon me... do you have any Grey Poupon?” (9)

silversurfer – Idlewild, “When I Argue I See Shapes” – These guys remind me of a few bands (though I can't think of their names at their moment), but Foo Fighters is not one of them. Liked the song, though. Hmm... between your video and mine, lots of objects are getting destroyed, huh? (7)

W – The Doors, “Roadhouse Blues” – One of the few Doors songs I can listen to from beginning to end without getting bored. Good one. (7)

transformers – Sublime, “Garden Grove” – About freakin' time someone put in a Sublime song. Good on you, son. (I've got one coming up in the next thread, and no, it's not “Prison Sex”.) I like it when they adopt the reggae side of ska rather than the punk side. I still do listen to “Wrong Way” and “Santeria” even today, and they are still just as funny and cool. (6)

englishozzy/BarcaRulz – The Raconteurs, “Steady As She Goes” – I had heard this before, and I was unaware that this was a Jack White group. Now that I know, I still kinda like this song. (6)

Nspan – Cream, “Politician” – Funny you mentioned “Smoke on the Water,” that song came into my head while listening to this. Very good riffs, but, like most 60's stuff, I just don't love it. (6)

Banks – Kanye West, “Welcome to Heartbreak” – Surprisingly, I liked this. The melody was really nice. The lyrics let me down a little, but still, this was much better for me than everything else you've had this thread. (6)

leestu – Nick Cave & Bad Seeds, “The Mercy Seat” – Undeniably an 80's-sounding song, but a bit out there for me. (5)

Ron Burgundy – Rage Against the Machine, “Testify” – I didn't find this as obnoxiously grating as most RatM, but I still didn't like it. (4)

numbersix – The Fall, “Totally Wired” – Sounded to me like what would happen if Devo and the Ramones ever got together, with Joe Strummer's accent thrown in. Just okay, if a little repetitive. (4)

undeadmonkey – Jason Aldean, “Big Green Tractor” – Congrats on your escape, but I can't share your love for this song. (3)

Sneak preview for the rest of this thread... more Queen. And LOTS of Pixies.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Geezer/becs - Queen, "Bohemian Rhapsody"
Obviously a very good pick, though not as good as the countless top 100 singles of all time charts which rank it as either no.1 or no.2 (alternating with Lennon's Imagine). So nice to see you two placed it outside your top 50!

englishozzy/BarcaRulz

Like six I was a little wary of The Raconteurs despite being a fan of White, Brendan Benson and The Greenhornes, as it came at a time when I felt Jack had lost a little of his edge. Nevertheless I heard this song and quickly picked up the record. I now have both of their albums and both of them are very, very good records, so I urge you to pick them up, six.

Like six (again), my first exposure to this was as a staple of children's television, I think it was the intro to some tv show (I forget which). I tried listening to it without the added aid of the video and it just didn't really work I'm afraid. And intriguing listen which I'm sure was totally out there at its time, but now it just doesn't really do anything for me.

NSpan - Cream, "Politician”
I only own Cream's live album at Royal Albert Hall, and I have thought that this song is one of the weaker songs on the record. I'd have gone with Toad, Sunshine Of Your Love or Crossroads ahead of this. Not that it's a bad song, just I think they can do a hell of a lot better.

Numbersix - The Fall, "Totally Wired"
The Fall are a band I have always liked, since John Peel mentioned they were his favourite band of all time, and have loved a lot of their songs. I even saw them at a Primavera festival a few years ago and they were great. But because they have released so many records I've never known where to start with them. Any ideas?

undeadmonkey - Jason Aldean, “Big Green Tractor”
No, just no.

leestu - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, “The Mercy Seat”
My favourite Nick Cave song, a really ominous, haunting sound which complements Cave's voice perfectly. Nice to see it on here.

Buscemi - Tom Tom Club, “Genius Of Love”
Didn't really stand out compared to Talking Heads' work. Lost interest a little over half way through.

transformers - Sublime, “Garden Grove”
Haven't ever really been able to get into these guys I'm afraid, and this didn't go any way to changing that.

W - The Doors, “Roadhouse Blues”
Good pick, one of my favourites of theirs.

Banks - Kanye West, “Welcome To Heartbreak”
Didn't really stand out compared to one or two of the other songs you have posted.

Ron Burgundy - Rage Against the Machine, “Testify”
Not a bad song, but I prefer a lot of their songs over this.

Favourites of the round would be six, Leestu and the aussie duo of englishozzy and Barca.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

silversurfer19 wrote:
Like six (again), my first exposure to this was as a staple of children's television, I think it was the intro to some tv show (I forget which). I tried listening to it without the added aid of the video and it just didn't really work I'm afraid. And intriguing listen which I'm sure was totally out there at its time, but now it just doesn't really do anything for me.
Damn. What is that show. My memory says it was some art and crafts show on BB or ITV, but I could be totally wrong.

[
silversurfer19 wrote: b]Numbersix - The Fall, "Totally Wired"[/b]
The Fall are a band I have always liked, since John Peel mentioned they were his favourite band of all time, and have loved a lot of their songs. I even saw them at a Primavera festival a few years ago and they were great. But because they have released so many records I've never known where to start with them. Any ideas?
None whatsoever. Their back catologue is so dense I dont' know where to begin. Many suggest Hexk Enducation Hour

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Geezer/becs -- Queen, "Bohemian Rhapsody"
I feel like Wayne's World should own the rights to this song, because everytime I hear it, that's all I can think of... not to say that's such a bad thing. I love that movie, and I love the song. It's just SO over-the-top and theatrical that it borders on novelty.

englishozzy/BarcaRulz -- The Raconteurs, “Steady, As She Goes”
Still don't think this is on par with the best of the Greenhornes nor the Stripes. That said, this is a great collaboration and good song.

Shrykespeare -- Art of Noise, “Close (to the Edit)” (1984)
Didn't recognize it, but I kinda liked it--despite how bizarre the whole damn thing is. And I THOUGHT I heard some Yes in there.

NSpan -- Cream, "Politician” (1968)
--Surf--the live version never won me over either. Try to listen to the studio original with those "fresh ears" we've been talking about.

Numbersix -- The Fall, "Totally Wired" (1980)
This didn't really do it for me on first listen--but there's something about it compelling me to return to it later on.

undeadmonkey -- Jason Aldean, “Big Green Tractor”
Pleasant, but not really my thing. Fortunately, I've been a city-boy since I was six.

leestu -- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, “The Mercy Seat” (1988)
Nick Cave is always hit & miss with me. I dug certain aspects of this song, but I dunno if I really enjoyed it overall. It's like there's a better song buried somewhere underneath the chaos.

Buscemi -- Tom Tom Club, “Genius Of Love”
I LOVE this song. It's a shame this side-project never really took off.

silversurfer -- Idlewild, “When I Argue I See Shapes”
Catchy. But it was pretty light-fare. Not sure if it'll stick.

transformers -- Sublime, “Garden Grove”
So many good memories of listening to these guys. Not my favorite song--but a good pick nonetheless.

W -- The Doors, “Roadhouse Blues”
One of my favorite Doors' songs.

Ron Burgundy -- Rage Against the Machine, “Testify”
Great song. Though, again, it's always bothered me how seriously they took themselves. Just play some rock'n'roll dammit.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Some selected responses in the brief time I have:

becs
Simon and Garfunkel, “Hazy Shade of Winter”
Great song by them. Check this out. I think you might like it. A fan favourite at live performances by an Aussie skate-punk band. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmJgUP1COFE

Numbersix
Kate Bush, "Running Up That Hill" (1985)
I love Kate Bush's voice. Absolutely stunning. I am old enough to remember when "Babooshka" came out and even as a young kid it was a stand out song (and video ;) ) "Hounds Of Love" was a fantastic album, with "Cloudbusting" being my personal favourite, especially when combined with the video for it.

Geezer/becs
Queen, "Bohemian Rhapsody"
Great pick guys. Classic song that I never get bored of.

Numbersix
The Fall, "Totally Wired" (1980)
For some more synchronicity check out the T shirt of the TV presenter in the video to my pick that's coming up next. I loved this band for a while and had the good fortune to be able to see them live circa 1990. Unfortunately I don't remember much about it now. Maybe I was totally wired :lol: . Mark E Smith is such a unique weird musician. Great song that I haven't heard for ages.

silversurfer19 wrote:b]Numbersix - The Fall, "Totally Wired"[/b]

None whatsoever. Their back catologue is so dense I dont' know where to begin. Many suggest Hexk Enducation Hour
I'll help. For a great compilation of their early work I suggest "Palace of Swords Reversed"; and "The Frenz Experiment" was the album I listened to the most. It has a great version of "Victoria" by The Kinks as one of the tracks. Much later, after learning to appreciate them, "I am Kurious Oranj" is an interesting listen. It was written as an a soundtrack to a ballet.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#5

Post by Shrykespeare »

SONG #54

Shrykespeare
XTC, “King For A Day”
(1989)

The second of two XTC songs, it is both eerily similar and vastly different from “Generals and Majors” (my #96). Terrific lyrics, terrific instrumentation, this is British alt-pop in its purest form. (Sorry about the technical difficulties in the middle!)

NSpan
The Kinks, "Death Of A Clown”
(1967)

When it came to songwriting, Ray was the genius in the family--but Dave was no slouch either. With this track, he proved that he wasn't just a guitarist with a memorable voice. The song, in fact, was such a success that it nearly launched a preemptive solo career for Dave (thankfully, the Kinks ultimately stayed together). Keep in mind that, if the Beatles never existed (or arrived on the scene a year or two too late), the Kinks would hold their position in rock history. And the world be even crazier than it is now, because the acid-dropping "bigger than Jesus" Beatles were straight-laced schoolboys when compared to the Kinks' depravity.

Numbersix
Interpol, "Hands Away"
(2002)

This song may not be emblematic of Interpol’s typical sound, but it’s deviations like these that made them stand out from all the other post-punk revivalist bands who thought they could get away with nothing but upbeat tempos. This song is simple yet soulful, the lead singer mustering up the best he can with his vocals to cry out against the gentle build-up of the band.

Geezer
Bob Dylan, "The Times They Are A Changin"

Its a shame Ron Burgundy has never heard this song, it is Dylan's masterpiece, despite what "Like a Rolling Stone" supporters might tell you. They are both great, this one's better. And it was used in one of the most awesome film sequences I have ever seen. I've used that as the video here, because I couldn't come up with a better version of the song actually done by Dylan. Its just a ton of shitty people doing covers. It does stretch the song out, and repeats some of the verses, so you can really stop listening to it at 3:13, as that is when the real song ends, but if you want to finish it out, be my guest.

becs
Radiohead, “2+2=5”

Radiohead doing what they do best! A simple quiet melody with a great passion behind it, I absolutely love the spiraling sound of this song and powerful message it conveys.

undeadmonkey
Shakira, “Don't Bother”

Really like this song. Chicks that can play instruments are a real deal maker for me. Shakira can play guitar, piano, harmonica and drums. I can personally attest to the hard work and determination it takes to learn an instrument, so anyone willing to put through that hard work, gets some points from me.

leestu
The Pixies, “Hey”
(1989) (also silversurfer's #84)

I love the way the song starts with Frank yelling out “HEY!’. This is my wife’s ringtone and it does startle people at times. Obviously a fan favourite; this song, and “Monkey Gone To Heaven” had the most and loudest sing along from the crowd. I hope you enjoy this early live studio performance from 1988 before “Doolittle” was released.

Buscemi
Yaz, “Only You”

Yaz, Yazoo, however you say it, there are another fun 1980's group to listen to (despite only doing two albums before breaking up). This song is one of the great 1980's songs about romance (it was written as a breakup song but to me is sounds like a love song). Interestingly enough, this was written as a song for Depeche Mode but they turned it down and Yaz recorded it instead.

silversurfer
Queens Of The Stone Age, “The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret”

My introduction to QOTSA, I remember seeing that their Rated R record had been voted one of the top 5 albums of the year in a UK music magazine and knowing little about them sought out this song. It totally arrested me and I then took my first chance to see them live which was colossal. Sabbath-esque with a little Stooges also, this song is a thumping, exhilarating exercise.

transformers
Rise Against, “Like The Angel”

Rise Against is the best punk band to emerge in a while. If we were doing a Top 200, I'd probably have about 6 or 7 tracks on here, but sadly, they have only have one on this list.

W
The Doobie Brothers, “Black Water”

Simon and Garfunkel, funky swamp rock, layered a capella, and bluegrass all rolled into one.

Banks
Bone Thugs N Harmony feat The Notorious B.I.G., “Notorious Thugs”

Sorry to have two Biggie songs in the same thread, but I love this song because this is one of the few times Biggie actually rapped fast. Bone Thugs N Harmony’s chorus offsets it perfectly, and that beat is beautiful.

englishozzy
Rammstein, “Feuer Frei”

This is the band that made me choose German as a subject for an entire two years at school just so I could decipher their music as I was listening to it. After all that, I now appreciate this band a lot more and also found it a lot easier when I went to Germany for a holiday.

BarcaRulz
Eskimo Joe, "Black Fingernails, Red Wine"

Another Aussie band, with another Aussie hit. When this first came out it was really hard to turn on a radio station for more than an hour and not hear it play. Surprisingly though it didn't get old for me, and after I watched the video I liked the song even more.

Ron Burgundy
Interpol, “Obstacle 1”

Guitar Hero's World Tours' greatest song, very easy to play and catchy. But damn, after singing the song, I had no idea the lyrics were so dark. I think most people will either love it or hate it.

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

Sorry, missed yesterdays songs. Will catch up later tonight when I do todays picks as well.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Ronnie James Dio died. !!!!!! RIP

If you've never heard the Sabbath albums Heaven & Hell or Mob Rules, check 'em out. His bands Elf and Rainbow were both also worth checkin' out.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#5

Post by Shrykespeare »

Oh man, that SUCKS.

In your honor, R.J., hope you're rockin' in heaven.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Sorry if some of my responses seem more negative or blunt than usual. Perhaps the loss of Dio is hitting me harder than I expected.

Shrykespeare -- XTC, “King For A Day” (1989)
Good choice, man. XTC is under-appreciated nowadays. Way to be fighting the good fight.

Numbersix -- Interpol, "Hands Away" (2002)
Felt a bit half-baked to me... Almost as if it were the intro to a better song.

Geezer -- Bob Dylan, "The Times They Are A Changin"
It IS a great song--and, in terms of rock history, it's monumental. But as Dylan matured, so did his music. This isn't amongst his very best. Haven't you heard Blonde on Blonde?

becs -- Radiohead, “2+2=5”
Love it. Just when I thought Radiohead was totally out of steam, they came out with this and proved me wrong. Have you heard "I Am a Wicked Child"?

undeadmonkey -- Shakira, “Don't Bother”
The song said "Don't Bother"... so I didn't. ;)

leestu -- The Pixies, “Hey” (1989)]
My second-favorite Pixies song. Great stuff. Fun version, too--though I prefer the studio track.

Buscemi -- Yaz, “Only You”
Kate sangalong to this--I didn't recognize it... nor particularly like it. But I always get a kick out of your cinema-niche taste in music.

silversurfer -- Queens Of The Stone Age, “The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret”
Don't particularly love these guys, but this is easily my favorite song of theirs. Though, Surf, I'm not really sure if I hear any direct Sabbath connection.

transformers -- Rise Against, “Like The Angel”
Oh, what passes for "punk" nowadays...

W -- The Doobie Brothers, “Black Water”
Eh. It's good. I've just heard it WAY too many times to fully appreciate it anymore. Nonetheless, I do have fond nostalgia for it.

Banks -- Bone Thugs N Harmony feat The Notorious B.I.G., “Notorious Thugs”
In the time that I was listening/hearing rap on a more regular basis, I REALLY never got why people were into Bone Thugs. I appreciate the fact that they actually bother to incorporate MUSIC into the records, but it always just sounded like bad R&B to me.

englishozzy -- Rammstein, “Feuer Frei”
These guys held a little appeal to me when I was a teenager--but I feel like I simply grew out of that phase. The vocals are grating, and the music isn't particularly engaging either. Sorry, mate.

BarcaRulz -- Eskimo Joe, "Black Fingernails, Red Wine"
That chorus was too perky. Maybe I'm just in a particular mood, but I was hoping for this song to rock a little harder. Kinda disappointed.

Ron Burgundy -- Interpol, “Obstacle 1”
Not really my style, but I kinda dug it... Though I can't put my finger on exactly what I liked about it. Or, more accurately, I couldn't pinpoint anything I particularly disliked about it.