Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #100-91

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #100-91

Post by Leestu »

Today's songs on a spotify playlist.

https://open.spotify.com/user/purplepas ... gegrosw4eA

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

I haven't had the time to listen to a lot of these - of the ones I've heard, I really like Catch It(Six). Not huge on any of the others, but A Heartbreak (Chien) was okay. Never have been a huge Eminem fan (and he's still around, but definitely not the pop culture phenomenon/controversy magnet I imagine he was when he first came out). Haven't listened to the Star Is Born soundtrack much since seeing it, but remember liking Black Eyes a lot in the theater.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Eminem just released a new album only two weeks ago. It's first single, Darkness, was released at the same time. The second single, Godzilla, dropped on Friday.

How about that.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

howbowdah
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote: Someone tell NSpan it's the songs of the millennium, not the best Anais Mitchell songs of the millennium.
....you're not gonna like my next three picks

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Shrykespeare wrote:Eminem just released a new album only two weeks ago. It's first single, Darkness, was released at the same time. The second single, Godzilla, dropped on Friday.

How about that.
The video for Darkness is quite confrontational and worth checking out...and Godzilla is actually pretty decent.

I'm probably going to listen to most of these as a playlist to and from work so please let me know if a video is a must watch for some reason.

#99 - Some great songs today. I liked most of them.

The Excellent

Eminem, The Real Slim Shady - an Eminem classic.

The Great

The Horrors, I Only Think of You - first listen...I need to listen to more of The Horrors...I haven't heard much but liked what I've heard...love the eerie dissonance at the start and the mood that conjures. Six I'm curious to see what the least popular LCD song is. I look forward to finding out.

The Very Good

Children Collide, Skeleton Dance - from an excellent album, one of my most listened to albums from 2008. I will have a song from it myself later. I love the bass in this song...it's very reminiscent of early The Cure.

The Men, Turn It Around - first listen...that opening riff reminded me so much of Suspect Device by Stiff Little Fingers...I'm usually a sucker for garage indie rock like this...might check out more some time

Streetlight Manifesto, One Foot On The Gas, One Foot In The Grave - first listen...sounds like they would be a lot of fun live...good positive vibe

Tinashe Ft. Devonte Hynes, Bet - first listen...not really a genre I'm into but when the quality shines through that doesn't matter...credit to the production is deserved I think

The Good

Bradley Cooper, Black Eyes - it surprised me how well Bradley Cooper can sing when I first head this...a good rocking song too

Animals as Leaders, Another Year - first listen...a pleasant and intriguing song...not sure I'm sold on it but I do already want to hear it again so I'm gonna give it a repeat listen now

Bettye LaVette, The High Road - first listen...great voice and commitment to the vocals...not keen on the song itself though

The Meh

Anais Mitchell, When the Chips are Down - better as part of a whole maybe?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Chinawoman (Michelle Gurevich), Party Girl (2007)

Many songs in this top, you will see, came to me through cinema. This was the case with this one (and many more to come in my Top), the song appearing in the French film Party Girl. There is something in this voice, and something stabbing in the burning rhythm of the song that grabs me.

JOHNERLE

The Arcade Fire, Rebellion (Lies) (2004)

I think my opinion of Arcade Fire's early stuff has been hampered by my opinion of them now since I couldn't bring myself to rank them any higher than this. I did quite like at the time, so they sneak on to the list.

Honorable Mentions: No Cars Go, Keep The Car Running, most of Funeral or The Suburbs

GEEZER

Blink-182, First Date (2001)

I know there's a lot of Blink haters, but you all know I'm a Blink lover through and through. This song is no exception. Its poppy, its catchy and downright fun. Everything I expect from these icons of pop punk.

LEESTU

Peter Bjorn And John, Young Folks (2006)

That whistling hook is so catchy, the voices go so well together, and it’s a fun song to sing.

ETA: If the video won't play where you are, try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIRE6iw-ws4

NSPAN

Anais Mitchell, Way Down Hadestown (From the original concept-album HADESTOWN)

(Refer to the comments for #100)

RON B

MGMT, Time to Pretend (2008)

When I first moved up to the big smoke from a smallish country town this was the first band I heard which I actually thought, who is this? Is this what they listen to in the city? Of course it was just timing, as I was still listening to the same resources of music. I could have included Electric Feel or Kids in this place as these 3 songs are all pretty bloody good. Why? Its poppy, catchy, electronic but it still has the shine of 2 decades ago. Apparently the band made the entire album as a bit of a joke – which just makes them even more exciting – almost a dozen years on.

SCREEN203

Garbage, Empty (2016)

Shirley Manson seemingly hasn't aged in 20 years, and neither has Garbage's music, if this song shows anything. The angsty lyrics about obsession and washed-out guitar sound straight out of the mid 90s. Not that any of this is bad though. In fact, I would call the throwback a modern classic.

SHRYKE

Better Than Ezra, Grateful (2018)

I saw BTE a couple of times in the 90s, and I absolutely love them. Their alternative vibe and New Orleans rhythms blend so well with Kevin Griffin’s voice that I became a fan for life. This song, released as a one-off single in 2018, is the first of two songs on my list. If you like them, I recommend checking out their albums Closer, Friction Baby, and How Does Your Garden Grow?.

SIX

PJ Harvey, White Chalk (2007)

I limited myself to 2 songs per artist, otherwise I’d need about 10 songs from PJ Harvey, probably my favourite solo artists of all time, to demonstrate the range of genres and styles she’s traversed in these last 2 decades, from glossy rock star to snarling introvert, to socially-conscious folk and blues. “White Chalk” is the title track of her 2007 album, and is PJ at her most mysterious and stark, sounding like a lost spirit floating through the countryside.

SURFER

My Morning Jacket, Gideon (2005)

There is a real sense of the epic on this record. The album it belongs to, Z, was an absolute favourite of mine during the mid-2000s, taking the intimacy of their earlier records and expanding upon them into an album that felt epic, with melodies and choruses that had a playfulness to them, harking back to Mercury Rev, The Flaming Lips and The Who even. "Gideon" is a fantastic example of the grandiosity that the band had embraced on the record, with crashing cymbals and a building sense of wonder over the course of just over 3 minutes.

TRANSFORMERS

Lorde, Buzzcut Season (2013)

When I was 15, I was making prank phone calls and drawing dicks on the margins of my history notes. When Lorde was 15, she was making haunting pop songs that showed a maturity well beyond her years. Talent is a gift folks.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Had a quick listen.

Pretty much any song from Funeral is a classic by now, and Rebellion is one of my favourites.
MGMT and Peter Bjorn and John were pretty mcuh on every ad and indie radio show. Both fun but I never have to hear them again.
I feel like I'm becoming an expert on Anais Mitchell
Garbage lived beyond the 90s????
Others were all nice but didn't set me on fire. In the good way. Not in the Vietnames protest way.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Haha, NSPAN, see six comments.

Geez geezer, I don't know what more insulting, giving a 1/10 or not listening to 90% of a song.

Chien - Bradley Cooper - Black Eyes
I didn't like this movie, so before I listened, I thought I would hate it. But I forgot, that the first 20 mins of the film is actually decent (mostly thanks to Sam Elliot). And you heard it in dolby digital and not on some laptop.
5/10

jErle - Bettye LaVette - The High Road
A touch too slow, not really my cup of tea. But if in the right mood, I can dig it. First listen
5/10

Geezer, Streetlight Manifesto - One Foot on the Gas, One Foot in the Grave
Ehhhhh. I listened to the whole thing. Its got one foot stuck on the gas, one foot stuck in reverse. I didn't like it. First Listen
2/10

Leestu - LCD soundsystem - Dance Yourself Clean
I heard this once or twice, Ill always regret NOT seeing this guy (instead I went and watched Tool, at Big Day Out). Its got that trademark LCD minimalist sound at first and then it hits the groove, which I liked quite a bit. The length plus the start earns demerits.
6/10

NSPAN - Anais - When the Chips are down

Meh. First Listen
3/10

Screen - Tinashe - Bet
I kinda liked it. A little derivative of others sounds but it works. First listen
5.5/10

Shryke - Eminem - The Real Slim Shady
This is a surprise indeed. Noice
9/10

Six - The Horrors - I Only think of You
Yep, it does sound like the Velvet Underground. I ended up listening to it all though, not bad. First listen.
5/10

Surfer - The Men - Turn it Around
Not horrible, just didn't hit me.
4/10

Tranny - Animals as Leaders - Another Year
What shryke said, this was pretty nice
6/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Think the colon is missing from my link for this round.

I will get around to listening to all of these, lots of good stuff though so far. No crossovers as of yet though. A few new songs too which is nice.

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Alright, let's be too late too soon.

The only song I knew (and like) is Shryke's choice of The Real Slim Shady.

I really liked the LCD Sound System Song chosen by Leestu, I love how it grows.
The Horrors song by Six is also the kind of song I could really listen to again, I like that kind of voice and strange rhythm.
Betty LaVette chosen by John was quite nice. Streetlight Manifesto chosen by Geezer was a bit of fun.

Not fan of the rest.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Well, contrary to the first two rounds, I knew almost every performer chosen this time.

The only one I really didn't know was Peter Bjorn and John chosen by Leestu, a good song, Better than Ezra chosen by Shryke, not a fan but easy to listen to, and My Morning Jacket chosen by Surfer, which I liked quite a lot.

Otherwise, fantastic choice from John with Rebellion from Arcade Fire, a band that will appear in my list too.
MGMT, Ron, I almost included their song Kids in my list, but in the end didn't, but very good choice.
PJ Harvey, Six, I mut confess I'm not overly familiar with her music, only know a song here and there, which I like actually. This one isn't the best I've heard of her, but it's alright.
And the Lorde song Tranny is pretty enjoyable.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chien - Party Girl - There's something to like about the stripped-down, bare-bones aspect of this song. Her voice doesn't do anything for me, but good choice. 6/10

JohnErle - Rebellion (Lies) - I quite like this. I'm pretty sure I've heard it before, but this was the first time I ever really listened closely to it. Cool video, too. 7.5/10

Geezer - First Date - I'm not a Blink hater. I like them more now then when they first came on the scene, in fact. I love that they've never taken themselves seriously, and this is one of their funnier videos. Song's good, too. 7/10

Leestu - Young Folks - Oh, I know I've heard this one before (and that video is unmistakable). Catchy is about the only word to describe it. Victoria's voice, honestly, sounds like every indie female singer out today - but given that this song was 14 years ago, I guess that means they're all just copying her. :) 6.5/10

NSpan - Way Down Hadestown - Just okay for me. 4.5/10

Ron B - MGMT - Well, at least I know ONE of my songs appears on someone else's lists! I absolutely fucking adore this song, which will appear on my own list... but not for several months. 10/10

Screen203 - Empty - I love Garbage, and echo your opinion on Shirley's voice. This is a good song. It's not up there with, say, Stupid Girl, but I'll never get tired of those washed-out guitars. 7/10

Six - White Chalk - Can't believe it's been almost three decades since Sheela-Na-Gig! Honestly don't think I've listened to a PJ song since A Perfect Day Elise. This was good, but didn't rock my world. 5.5/10

Surfer - Gideon - Outstanding song. Right in my wheelhouse. Excellent choice! 8/10

Transformers - Buzzcut Season - What a great batch of songs this has been! I've heart this before, but thanks, tranny, for allowing me to deep-dive into it. Worth it. 8/10

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I know I'm digging myself a hole by not listening to every song, every day--but I just want to say: i PLAN to! I'll hear every posted track at least once, and I'll comment whenever I can. I've just been very busy with some (both) work and family stuff. I'll do a big catchup post in the next day or two

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »