2018 in Music

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Re: 2018 in Music

Post by Screen203 »

The only album I have to contribute is Take Me to the Disco by Meg Myers. This is a vicious album with stellar production and lyrics. The searing Numb and the darkly beautiful Jealous Sea are standouts in a stellar album.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

10. Iceage, “Beyondless”

The first of my top ten records of the year, and I found that whilst over the past few years Iceage have toned down their raucous punk sound a little into something a bit more refined, this has not been to the detriment of their quality. “Plowing Into The Field Of Love” indicated the direction the band were heading, and this record takes that even further as Elias Bender Rønnenfelt leads the band further and further into an anthemic yet macabre sound filled with delicious hooks and atmospheric ambience. Live these songs are just as immediate and exhilarating as ever, and Iceage themselves are still one of the most exciting bands around right now.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Great choice, Surf. Saw them twice this year and they were great both times. Elias is a lovely lad.

Song #9
Dream Wife: Somebody

The band started off as a sort of art experiment on the music industry, rather than a band in themselves. But then they realised they were rather good, and became a real band? Irony, or just embracing something good? Not sure, but this song about sexual abuse and how the victims are blamed is catchy and chilling.

Song #8
Young Fathers: Tremolo

These Scots put out a lovely moody record this year. For me, this is the highlight, brimming with soul.

Album #9
Pill: Soft Hell

A record that fell under the radar for most. But it's a stunning collection of post-punk tracks, often led by some impressive sax. The band are more subdued than in their debut, instead opting for a more sinister indie sound, throwing in a dash of melody to make those tunes stick with you.

Album #8
Mitski: Be the Cowboy

I'm late to the game with Mitski, whose previous album's singer-songwriter vibe didn't quite draw me in. But this is a more ambitious record, full of interesting and different instrumentations giving a broader feel, yet her lyrics beautifully contrast in their intimacy.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I don't have much to contribute again this year, but I'll post what I have before I go on holidays this weekend. And, as always, I'll take a listen to any #1s anyone takes the time to post, and anything else that intrigues me based on the write-up, so choose your superlatives wisely!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

In that case I'm gonna call all my songs and albums Steve-Earle-esque!

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

I'll throw my hat in. Haven't done this is a couple years. Last time I got laughed out the building for all my "dad" music. We'll see how it goes this time :lol:

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

My honorable mention songs of the year, just missed my top 10:

"I'm With You" - Vance Joy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRR9ExA53Tc

"Leaving" - Castlecomer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7w-YBTVlCU

"Bridges Burn" - NEEDTOBREATHE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gZJFBvIrcU

"Fall" - Eminem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfTbHITdhEI

"Let Go" - BANNERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37AoYfmJ8Og

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

9. Adrienne Lenker, “Abysskiss”

Whilst taking a break from Big Thief, singer/ songwriter has crafted a record of absolute beauty. A subtle and sombre record, for the most part relying on her voice and finger picking guitar work, it is a devastating listen, as she details the scale and power of nature and its connection to the human consciousness. What results is a record that will grow and grow upon each listen, each song revealing further layers as their intensity peels away. Lenker truly is an extraordinary songwriter, her ability to capture your soul with such delicately spoken words, and Abysskiss allows her to demonstrate this ability to its full effect.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote:In that case I'm gonna call all my songs and albums Steve-Earle-esque!
To be less obvious, you could try mixing it up occasionally with "reminiscent of early Big Country."

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Brockster wrote:I'll throw my hat in. Haven't done this is a couple years. Last time I got laughed out the building for all my "dad" music. We'll see how it goes this time :lol:
Even Eminem is Dad Rock these days ;)

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Yes he is, lol! But hey, I'm a dad...so who cares right? :)

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

To play catch up, I'll the first picks of my top 10:

Songs:

#10 - "60 & Punk" - Death Cab For Cutie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9nLqUQYoiE

I was a huge fan of Death Cab in college and still think their first two commercial albums are great. They really fell off after that. And even though I don't think their new album is all that good, I like this track a lot.

#9 - "Scared" - Plake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H5Sr5Yi6Tw

Plake has quite a few good singles. I'm hoping they release an album soon.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Albums:

I'm going to cheat for my first one...

#10 - The Beatles (White Album) - Super Deluxe Edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2lLRfE ... Y&index=36

I would highly recommend this album if only for the Esher Demos. All stripped down, these songs sound beautiful. John wasn't on heroin while they were in India and you could tell, not only in his creativity and output for the album, but his voice as well. There have been bootlegs of many of these songs over the years, but never have hey sounded so clear. Really amazing, historical stuff. Doesn't hurt that this is my favorite Beatles album anyway.

#9 - Eminem - Kamikaze

Not going to link any songs. After many total shit albums, he finally released something worth listening to. I find his albums good for a listen or two these days, just to see what clever ways he puts together his rhymes, and for a few good laughs. But after that, they typically go on the shelf. Really he's too old to be rapping anymore. What does he have to say anymore? Nobody wants to hear a rap about your stock portfolio.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Brockster wrote:I'll throw my hat in. Haven't done this is a couple years. Last time I got laughed out the building for all my "dad" music. We'll see how it goes this time :lol:
I see your dad music and raise you some grandpa rock. (See the 2017 thread)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Some interesting stuff in the first couple of rounds. I liked the Goat Girl record, possibly not as much as either you or Leestu, but there is definitely a lot of potential in these girls, with a nice kind of eerie sound to their music. I mentioned earlier that the Mount Eerie record just missed my cut, the sound of him making music following on from "A Crow...". Whilst he is obviously still in grieving, there is definitely life at the end of the tunnel for Elverum, and the songs certainly reflect this optimistic outlook a little. A beautiful record. Could'nt get into the Serpentwithfeet record, there were some interesting ideas technically going on, but his voice didn't appeal at all and the song didn't stay with me.

Dream Wife were a band I initially was wowed by, but slowly found myself being less and less interested by them. Their immediate sound hooked me, but overall the record just didn't have enough variety to hold my interest. "Somebody" is definitely one of the better songs on the album, however, and it has an interesting pace to it with some nice guitar licks. Conversely, Young Fathers however were one of those bands I found myself listening to more and more throughout they year. Their record just sinks under your skin and you find yourself humming along without even intending to do so. Really great stuff.

Not familiar with Pill prior to hearing this, but that sax underpinning this record is fantastic, and the song has a real bite to it that juxtaposes quite nicely with the sax. Will definitely be looking into more from these guys. We seem to be passing trains on Mitski. You may recall Puberty 2 was my top record from a couple of years ago, and I really love "..Makeout Creek" too, so I was highly, highly anticipating "Be The Cowboy". But overall it just didnt click with me no matter how much I tried. I know it seems to be universally loved, but her move further into the pop world just is not interesting me as much as her earlier records. Having said that, "Nobody" is a brilliant slice of pop.

Brockster, I agree, I was a big fan of some of Death Cabs earlier records, particularly "We Have The Facts", but this new record was a dull as dishwater.

I listened to a few of the other songs linked, but nothing really grabbed me, but good to hear some new stuff I was unaware of, nevertheless. Keep them coming.