America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Shrykespeare »

Yeah, you did. I'm not disappointed at all by the results. Though five of the seven who made it through are singing acts, I might have replaced In the Stairwell with Bello or one of the dance acts just to mix things up. But, it's about talent, and the most talented and deserving got through.

Here are the acts performing next week.

LOCKS (unless they really screw up):
Celine Tam
Johnny Manuel
Light Balance
Mandy Harvey

HAVE A DECENT CHANCE WITH A KILLER PERFORMANCE
Demian Aditya
The Masqueraders
Eric Jones
Evie Clair

LONGSHOTS
Brobots & Mandroidz
Merrick Hanna
Mirror Image
Pompeyo Family Dogs

And now that THAT's settled, here are my picks for Quarterfinal #3:

LOCKS (unless they really screw up):
Chase Goehring
Diavolo
Angelina Green
Kechi Okwuchi

HAVE A DECENT CHANCE WITH A KILLER PERFORMANCE
DaNell Daymon & Greater Works
Oscar Hernandez
Colin Cloud
Mike Yung

LONGSHOTS
Junior and Emily
Sara and Hero
TBA (WC)
TBA (WC)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

AGT Live shows, volume two:

Brobots and Mandroidz - This does NOTHING for me. Yawn.

Celine Tam - She started slow, and I think Mel was right, the song may be too big for her. Second half was better, but I wasn't wowed. She's adorable, and very good, but I was a bit let down. If we're comparing, and this is a competition, Angelica has the stronger voice.

Mirror Image - Holy shit them singing Queen was CRINGE-INDUCING. And the rest was like, what are they doing? I still think they would make GREAT TV hosts. Great personalities, quick witted, know what to say, natural entertainers. But singing and dancing is NOT their thing, and that's what they brought to the table. And it wasn't good, at all.

Johnny Manuel - Holy cow now THAT was a performance. This guy can SING. Pipes for days. He's a lock. God. Damn.

Merrick Hannah - I think he's brilliant at what he does, but I don't think what he does is ultimately worth a million bucks.

Eric Jones - How on earth did he do THAT? I love this guy. LOVE him. LOCK

The Masqueraders - I like these guys. And America might too. They weren't the best, but I think they have a shot.

Light Balance - This is my favorite act in the competition. My jaw was on the floor the entire performance. Technical difficulties be damned, what we saw was UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE.

Evie Clair - I don't love her voice, and couldn't understand what she was saying half the time. Her story is tragic, but if I'm just basing on performance, she doesn't have my vote.

Demian Adita - Such a shame. Obviously, I imagine the box was supposed to come crashing down and he was supposed to come out with the extinguisher and put out the box. I love the guy, and we have seen him be flawless for two performances, and on a weak night, I honestly hope he does get through based on that, because I love what he does.

Olate Dogs Part 2 - A top notch Olate Dogs impersonation, this time with props!

Mandy Harvey - She has such a pretty voice. Sounds a lot like Jewel. The fact that she can't hear herself, it is unreal. What a story, what a vocalist. Probably my favorite vocal performance of the night.

Locks to go through:
Johnny Manuel
Eric Jones
Light Balance
Pompeo Dogs
Mandy Harvey

After that, I think the Masqueraders have a shot. I think Evie Clair has a really great chance on story alone and maybe people like her better than me. Celine has a chance because she's cute and has been strong in the past, but that's a bad show spot. I hope Demian gets another chance, but he probably won't.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

OMFFFFFFFFG. AGT has been preempted in my area because President Fucking Trump is visiting Arizona and we just have to have live coverage.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

That's awful!!!!! I hope you still get to see the whole show

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, one of three things will happen:

1. The show will run in its entirety after coverage ends.

2. The show will resume halfway through and I'll have to wait for the replay (Saturday?) to see the whole thing

3. I'll just go on fucking YouTube and watch them. It usually only takes an hour to go from live TV to YT.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Live Shows #2

Fine. YouTube it is. At least I get to miss Tyra (and most of the judges' comments).

1. Brobots & Mandroidz - The set was cool, and it was better than I remember them being. That being said, Just Jerk was five times better and they didn't make it through, so B&M doesn't deserve to go through either, because dance crew.

2. Celine Tam - Wow. Did NOT expect to see her this early. Yeah, Angelina is a better all-around talent than Celine. I have to figure that the plethora of young girl singers prompted this early spot. She was good, and I would probably put her through based on what lies ahead. (But we'll see.)

3. Mirror Image - You know who they remind me of? This truly awful singer named Keith who appeared on like Season 2 of American Idol singing "Like a Virgin". He was as bad as William Hung with none of the likeability. No. Just no. Thank you for restoring some sense to this show, Simon. What a clusterfuck.

4. Johnny Manuel - This guy's range is in-freaking-SANE. No way he doesn't go through.

5. Merrick Hanna - I like the kid, I really do, and he's hella talented, and I' hope he makes a career out of this. With the background, it looked really cool. But it's the same routine all over again. It's just not enough.

6. Eric Jones - That was incredible. He really upped his game. I am really rooting for him.

7. The Masqueraders - What a moment for them. I really like them. I am rooting for them too.

8. Light Balance - Wow. Holy fucking wow. Between them and Darci, I don't know who to root for to win. I hope it's one of them!!

9. Evie Clair - I want to represent Arizona, and I like her, but she just doesn't stack up against the rest, not even Celine. I think she'll end up on the bubble, and lose any Judges Vote that might come up.

10. Demian Aditya - The luxury singers have is that they can be just a little off and still do well. If a comedian isn't funny, or a juggler drops something, or ... this happens, it's the kiss of death. I love what he does, and it sucks that it all went so wrong.

11. Pompeyo Family Dogs - It was cute, but I wouldn't advance them. With this placement, however, I think they'll probably go through.

12. Mandy Harvey - She has that Sarah McLachlan list, which I just adore. I can't believe she's actually deaf. Can a girl with a uke win two years in a row?

LOCKS:
Light Balance
Johnny Manuel
Mandy Harvey

Well, that's it, I guess. I would hope that Eric Jones and The Masqueraders go through. After that, I'm guessing it'll be Celine and Pompeyo.

Okay, I'm done. And Trump ... is ... still ... talking.

I will probably watch Friday's replay just so I can get the judges' comments.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Wow I was way off. The Dogs are gone. Eric, Masqueraders and Evie all in the Dunkin Save. Going to be wrong on at least one. At least Light Balance made it. That's as far as I got so far!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Celine and Merrick join Mandy and Light Balance. We definitely underestimated Merrick's chances! Good for him. And good for Celine. Hoping that the judges pick Eric Jones because its looking like Evie is getting saved.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Evie saved, judges split the vote again, and Eric Jones was put through by the votes! Would have liked to see the Masqueraders get in somehow over one of the few acts that did, but can't have it all.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I'm happy for Evie and Merrick. I probably would have put the Masqueraders through over either of them, but them's the breaks.

Next week's WC cards are announced - singing quartet Final Draft and videomapping duo Oskar and Gaspar. (Don't remember O&G at all.)

I stick by my predictions from last week:

Chase Goehring, Kechi Okwuchi and Diavolo should be locks.

Angelina Green, Colin Cloud, and DaNell Daymon & Greater Works should also move on with good performances.

After that, I would say it's a tossup between Oscar Hernandez and Mike Yung. I suppose one of the WC acts could pop up and surprise, but I doubt it.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

HERE WE GO!!!

DaNell Daymon & Greater Works - I absolutely love these guys and gals!!! It is more than just the fact that they can really sing and harmonize so incredibly well. It is the entire show. The dancing, the hand motions, the synchronicity, the pure and utter joy they bring. I have never thought a choir could make the finals of this show, but they are just above and beyond anything that has come before them. I LOVED this!

Junior and Emily Alabi - Better than last time, but I still got bored about halfway through.

Final Draft - This too was better than their last time, but I still don't think it was anything all that special. I don't think they've got much of a shot.

Oscar Hernandez - Damn I love this guy! I don't think he's a Vegas show, obviously, I don't think the act holds up to an hour, but he's very fun to watch. He won't go through (or will he?) but I loved watching him at least one more time. He entertains me.

Angelina Green - Damn this girl can sing. When she went big, wow, chills. She's gotta be a lock to move on.

Mike Yung - He is good and I liked this, but I didn't get wowed at any point. I think he could move on, but I'm not totally sold on the idea.

Colin Cloud - Wow. What a show this guy puts on. I think he can absolutely have his own show in Vegas. He is tailor made for that. It was long, which isn't great for AGT, but is exactly what he needs to be if he wins. I think the judges did him a disservice in their comments regarding that. His showmanship doesn't need work, I think it was excellent. Unless the girls were plants, I have no clue how he does what he does, but I'd pay to watch him do it.

Oskar and Gaspar - I really liked this a whole lot. Way better than the first time around. The artwork was beautiful, the movement effects, especially at the end, had me floored. Very impressive. I'd love to see what they do next if they move on.

Sarah and Hero - If the Pompeo Dogs didn't go on, not sure what kind of a chance they have. It is a wonderful story, but not a wonderful act to me. I did however like the jump rope part, THAT was original and cool.

Chase Goehring - I can't express how much I love this kid. He's a brilliant song writer. Couldn't you hear that song on the radio tomorrow? He is a superstar. It is a really strong season for singers, but I truly think he's the most talented. Brilliant. I think he is top 5.

Diavolo - Incredible. Another show I'd absolutely pay money to see. So creative. They bring it very time. As a whole package, there might not be a better act.

Kechi Okwuchi - I think that was her best performance, and that's saying a lot. If she doesn't move on, they might as well cancel the show.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Frankly, I'm getting sick of this contest between Mel B and Tyra to see who can dress more gaudily.

1. DaNell Daymon & Greater Works - Not my favorite song choice of theirs, but there's no denying they own the stage. I think they have a great shot at moving on.

2. Junior and Emily Alabi - Meh.

3. Final Draft - They're good, but there are already enough singers in the semis.

4. Oscar Hernandez - He's good, but I can't see him moving on.

5. Angelina Green - I like her. Better voice, better stage presence than Evie. I think she'll go through. The only thing that might hurt her is her placement.

6. Colin Cloud - It did take a long time to pull off, but I'm not sure how he could speed it up without losing something. I loved him.

7. Mike Yung - He has a shot, but I think he'll go the same way The Masqueraders did.

8. Oskar and Gaspar - I like it. It's weird. I'm just not sure it's enough. I hope it is. It's truly original and I have no idea how they do it.

9. Sara and Hero (and Loki) - I hope she finally finds a place to live. But I would be amazed if she got anywhere near the Top 8.

10. Chase Goehring - I didn't like this one as much as his past songs, but you have to love his originality. And for once ... NOT OVERPRODUCED. I think he's in.

11. Diavolo - That French dude is KWAZY!! But then, genius often is. After Light Balance, this is this most "Vegas-y" act left in the show. They should totally move on. So very, very impressive.

12. Kechi Okwuchi - She's from HOUSTON? Oh, dear. I hope she doesn't have to go through tragedy AGAIN. Because this was PHENOMENAL. She's a finalist for sure. Can she win? Hmmm...

I will totally agree with your predictions, Geez. We'll see if we're right.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Here's how I see it:

Locks:
Chase Goehring
Diavolo
Kechi Okwuchi
Angelina Green

Absolutely should move on:
DaNell Daymon & Greater Works

Final 3 for the Dunkin Save:
Colin Cloud
Oskar and Gaspar
Mike Yung

Slim to no chance:
Oscar Hernandez
Sarah and Hero
Junior and Emily Alabi
Final Draft

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

PRetty awful result tonight. Angelina left out because people liked Sara and her effing dogs.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Wow. That's disappointing. Granted, Angelina probably wouldn't have had a chance to win when stacked up against Darcy, Celine, and Angelica, but still... this is a miscarriage of justice.

So that's 21 acts made it through. Just to make things equal, the judges will once again bring back one eliminated act as a wild card. I am going to hope that it's Angelina or the Masqueraders, but given the prevalence of singers already in the SF's, they could very well bring back Just Jerk.

I'm going to assume that the finals will feature 12 acts, which means six per show will move on - four votes, one instant save, one judges' choice.

I am going to rank each act as to their chances of making the final, IMHO.

Semis #1:
1. Darci Lynn Farmer
2. Mandy Harvey
3. Billy & Emily England
4. Johnny Manuel
5. Preacher Lawson
6. Merrick Hanna
7. Evie Clair
8. Sarah and Hero
9. Eric Jones
10. Yoli Mayor
11. WC (TBA)

Semis #2:
1. Kechi Okwuchi
2. Light Balance
3. Chase Goehring
4. Angelica Hale
5. Diavolo
6. Celine Tam
7. In the Stairwell
8. Christian Guardino
9. Mike Yung
10. DaNell Daymon & Greater Works
11. Colin Cloud

Looking at these lineups... Semis #2 is STACKED, far more than Semis #1 is. Wow.