America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Geezer »

Finally a night where everything went according to plan!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Yes indeed!

So 21 acts are left. I suspect there will be one more wild card to even out the two semifinal shows at 11 each.

Here's the order:

Week 1:

Amanda Mena
Duo Transcend
Junior New System
Makayla Phillips
Michael Ketterer
Samuel J. Comroe
Shin Lim
Us the Duo
Voices of Hope
Zurcaroh
(wild card)

I'm rooting for Michael, Shin, Zurcaroh, Voices of Hope, and either Samuel or Duo Transcend.

Week 2:

Aaron Crow
Angel City Chorale
Brian King Joseph
Christina Wells
Courtney Hadwin
Da Republik
Daniel Emmit
Glennis Grace
Noah Guthrie
Vicki Barbolak
We Three

Rooting for Brian, Courtney, Christina and Glennis for sure. After that, Aaron and either Daniel or Vicki.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Amanda Mena - She's just ok. I do think she'd be better in a group.

Junior New System - I like them, they are good, but I still think this is as far as they go.

Us the Duo - They are truly wonderful and always make me smile, but they were way better the last time, so I think this journey ends here.

Voices of Hope - I love them!!! That was absolutely the best performance so far. Love the song choice (I just saw Wicked last year) and they did it so well. They always make me smile. They have my vote. Absolutely my first finalist.

Shin Lim - That was UNBELIEVABLE. This is genuine magic. I'm fucking convinced. He's a wizard. That was impossible. He's the best magician ever. He could have won many seasons of this show. Perhaps not this one, but this man's name should be up in lights.

Makayla Phillips - She is very much like Amanda Mena, good not finals good.

Front Pictures - Its cool, but I don't get the "Wow" factor. I think there were certainly better choices to be made among the wild cards. Shoulda brought back Flau'jae

Duo Transcend - Wow. So they answered the question of "What else ya got?" That's for sure! I was skeptical that this was a finals act. Not anymore.

Samuel J. Comroe - Another very good act, certainly a semi-final worthy act, but I'm not sure that he is quite good to be in the top 5 tonight.

Michael Ketterer - What is left to say about this guy? He's a living Angel with a voice to match.

Zurcaroh - They are the next big thing in dance and acrobatics. They are a multi-million dollar touring act.

My top 5 are pretty clear:

Michael Ketterer
Zucaroh
Shin Lim
Voices of Hope
Duo Transend

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Amanda Mena - She was good. I liked her more this time than in the past. She may sneak in. I do feel for her with the whole bullying thing, so I'm rooting for her.

Junior New System - Two words... dance crew. What was the last time a straight-up dance CREW (and I'm not counting those crews with a gimmick like using lights (UDI dance, iLuminate), acrobatics (Silhouettes) or huge props (Diavolo). I looked it up... it was the Miami All Stars and the West Springfield Dance Team in 2011. It's so tough for a dance crew to be THAT impressive without a gimmick. Go Philippines, but yeah, I think this is the end for them.

Us the Duo - They're cute, they're sweet, but... Howie pegged it two rounds ago. They're coffeehouse singers. Just no wow factor for me. I'm glad they finally did something up-tempo, though.

Voices of Hope - How cool is that this season has had TWO great choirs? Well, I've never seen Wicked, but I'll tell you, those four girls leading the vocals are powerhouses. This is a great act. Vegas-worthy? Don't know. But they are definitely finals-worthy.

Shin Lim - :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Nuff said. OMG this guy. You're right, he's a freaking wizard. Wow.

Makayla Phillips - A teenage girl has never won the show (Grace and Darcy were preteens), and one won't this year. Amanda and Makayla are both very good, but of the two, Amanda is better. Better story, better voice. Kudos to her for making it this far, though.

Front Pictures - I don't disagree Flau'jae was more deserving, but they're top heavy with musical acts. I would have brought back UDI Dance over these guys. I like what they represent, but this is one of those acts that doesn't look as good on TV as it does live.

Duo Transcend - Wow. Just ... fucking ... wow. I have to agree with you. They brought it. They're the only straight-up danger act left, so I will now give them the nod over the singers. (I love this song - it's the same one that Sofie Dossi used in her finale performance two years ago.)

Samuel J. Comroe - It's so weird to have a comedian following up what DT just did. I'm a little disappointed that he went back to the Tourettes, but whatever. I hope he gets his own show somewhere.

Michael Ketterer - Definitely one of the best male vocalists the show's ever had. He's up there with Michael Grimm ... who won. Hmmm...

Zurcaroh - Michael deserves to win a record deal. Zurcaroh deserves to win THIS SHOW. They are a Vegas act. Michael doesn't need a Vegas stage. These guys do. Here's my winner.

So... five going through. Is it the Top 3 plus the two saves? Oh well, I'm hoping for...

(subject to change)

1. Michael Ketterer
2. Zurcaroh
3. Shin Lim
4. Voices of Hope
5. Duo Transcend

If it's NOT this five, then I hope it's Samuel or maybe Amanda. But I hope it's this five.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Top 6 were as expected. Personally disappointed in the Dunkin Save, but hey, whatcha gonna do? The top 3 were clearly the top 3.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Christina Wells - It was a little pitchy, but when she's right on, she can stand with anyone in this competition.

Da Republik - Meeehhhhh this is the semis come on

Noah Guthrie - Wasn't particularly impressed with him tonight either. I didn't love the song choice.

Daniel Emmit - Not blown away by him tonight either, and I'm usually such a big fan of his. Still love him, but I didn't love this song choice. He picked it up by the end though.

Angel City Chorale - It must have sounded better there. I really couldn't understand what they were singing for like the first 45 seconds of the performance. I like them, but the sound was drowned out here, to my ears anyway. I like the lights and everything, and they will probably go through on a weak night as this is shaping up to be. I have to say I like Voices of Hope better and they went home :(

Aaron Crow - I think he's great. Sometimes he's better than others, but that is fine. He's one of the few acts that is tailor made for Vegas and could put together a full live show based on all of his combined auditions and performances. I would like to see him one more time, even if I don't think he has a shot at actually winning the whole thing.

Vicki Barbolak - I think this was her weakest set tonight, but I still laughed at times. She's great and I think she should be in the finals.

We Three - I wasn't crazy about this song either, and you know I'm not a fan of this group being here. I loved their first two songs, but I think that's kind of all they had.

Glennis Grace - Ok now THAT is what we have been waiting for. Jesus man, her voice doesn't have a single flaw, not a single wobble. With every other singer struggling, it made her perfection stand out even more. This is a winning quality performance. First of the night that even comes close to that. She's in contention with Michael Ketterer, Zucaroh and Shin Lim as possible AGT winners.

Brian King Joseph - Now we're COOKING!!! I'd pay to see this guy in a heartbeat. Such an incredible performance, all the way around, and his personality shines through every single time. He's also in the conversation.

Courtney Hadwin - For sure, she's also in the conversation, but I didn't like her as much as Glennis and Brian, an I think it was her least great performance of the three we've seen her. I do think her style may be polarizing enough to keep her from winning. She's in the top 6 of everyone that can win.

I think the last three are in for sure, plus Aaron Crow and Vicki Barbolak.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Semifinal #2!

Christina Wells - I love that her journey has been such a tremendous validation for her. Based on pure talent, I would put her into the finals in a heartbeat (though, yes, there were one or two bum notes). My only worry is that her early placement might put her in the danger zone, and the judges might send her home in favor of a non-singer.

Da Republik - I'll say it again... DANCE CREW. They could have the best dance moves in the world, but if that's honestly all they bring, then it's just not enough to make the finals. Simon agrees with me. I will say this, though... the pre-package was fricking badass. If this were Vegas, they'd be the biggest longshots.

Noah Guthrie - Whitney? REALLY? No. This really didn't work for me.

Daniel Emmit - I love this guy. It wasn't his best, but it was still great. I'm not sure he'll move on, but America saved him once... maybe they'll do it again.

Angel City Chorale - Gotta agree. Wasn't feeling it tonight. That said, who knows. This night is so wide open anything could happen.

Aaron Crow - Oh I like this guy. He's got the showmanship, and the charisma that Riana didn't. I want him in the finals. Having him, Duo Transcend and Shin Lim on the same program would feel like a total victory this season.

Vicki Barbolak - I'm over the Trailer Nasty. Sorry, didn't find her at all funny tonight. Samuel made it; that's enough for me.

We Three - I put them in the same category as Us the Duo... good for small crowds, not big arenas.

Glennis Grace - Letter perfect. Not a single note out of place. She's a finalist for sure. Could she be the first ADULT female singer to win this show?

Brian King Joseph - Who needs words when you can do that?? (Aside: I saw "King" flashing backwards on the screen, just like I saw "Da Republik" shown backwards earlier. Am I getting the picture in reverse?) Anyway, he's earned a spot in the finals. Without a doubt.

Courtney Hadwin - Very well said, Geez. Yeah, she's great, and I'm sure she'll move on. But you're right, she's like two different people, and that's a tiny bit off-putting. The thing about Grace Vanderwaal and Darci Lynn is that they had great personalities to go along with their enormous talent, and that's why they won. Courtney is a fierce singer, and she could have a huge career, but she's a shrinking violet when there isn't a mike in her hand. There won't be a little-girl three-peat this year. (P.S. Best pre-package EVER.)

So, yeah. Glennis, Brian and Courtney are locks. Or should be. I'll root for Christina just because, and Aaron for the variety.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

My wife is actually convinced that Courtney's shyness is a full blown act, because of all her stage experience, which is easily found out with a bit of googling. She's also been really one-note. I'd like to see a bit of a different style of performance (and really I'd like to see her do an original, because if she's going to make it, she can't just do classic rock covers.)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Doing original songs are risky. Some acts can get away with it, but more often than not, the judges ding them for it (Us the Duo being the most recent). Courtney could get away with it, but I'd settle for having her sing something in a different genre or maybe even a rock ballad, something that doesn't features screaming guitars.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

So no Aaron Crow, though I can't say I'm that surprised. His lack of personality did him in I think (even though that's his bit). Biggest surprise was Vicki getting more votes than Glennis. That's crazy. I'm happy for Daniel. His journey from Simon's challenge in his audition to Wild Card, to multiple Dunkin Saves, has been such a roller coaster. I'm ecstatic he made it through to the end.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Last show of the year, can't hold anything back!

Brian King Joseph - Couldn't have opened the show any better. I could totally see him opening his own stage show the exact same way each night and just slaying crowds for years. And I'd love to be among them.

Daniel Emmet - I so love this guy and love that he made the finals. That was his best performance to date by far. Perfect indeed.

Vicki Barbolak - This was way better than her last performance, and I'm glad she stepped it back up in the finals. She'll be a very successful comedian for a long time. Definitely agree with Simon, a show based on her pre-package would sell.

Glennis Grace - She is THE MOST TALENTED female singer this show has ever produced. And she might not make the top 5. Think about how crazy deep this year's field is!

Zurcaroh - They are going to be a SENSATION. That's all there is to it. People will talk about them the way they talk about Cirque du Soleil. Millions and millions of dollars are coming their way.

Samuel J. Comroe - Very good performance. Absolutely belongs on this stage. I don't think he's got a shot at top 5, but he'll never need a day job.

Courtney Hadwin - I think she's great, America thinks she's great, I think she's going to sell a lot of tickets.

Shin Lim - I'm absolutely spellbound, as I am every time this man takes the stage. Is he better than Matt Franco? I think he might be. Absolutely flabbergastingly incredible. This is why we keep coming back to this show every year. Put his name in lights already!

Duo Transcend - They are perfection at what they do. And they are probably going to finish tenth. Just shows the depth of talent on the stage tonight. And we know who is coming up next...

Michael Ketterer - If you could keep it together during that pre-package, you're stronger than I am. I have no idea what the judges were watching. I don't think it was nerves, I think that's just his vocal style. He sounded just like he did every other time, and it was brilliant. He's not quite as talented a singer as Glennis or Courtney, but he's got the best story, and I still think he's the favorite to win. What a night.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here we go!

Brian King Joseph - My god. That was phenomenal. PHENOMENAL. I think he's a longshot to crack the Top 3, but I think he's a lock for Top 5.

Daniel Emmit - I really need to follow up on how former contestants' careers are going post-show. I would love for this guy to make gold records. He's maybe the biggest underdog this show has ever seen - sent home once, saved TWICE, and in the finals. Simon said it perfectly - no matter what happens, he can walk away with his head held high.

Vicki Barbolak - That was funny, probably her best set since her audition. Good for her. And also... FAMILY SHOW!! :shock:

Glennis Grace - I might argue that Jackie Evancho is the most talented female singer in this history of this show, but Glennis would be right up there. And I fucking LOVE this song (originally done by Leona Lewis on British X-Factor ... in front of Simon Cowell). This song gave me chills. She won't win, but ... DAMN, that was awesome. She hasn't had one bum note this entire competition.

Zurcaroh - Give them a show, Vegas. Whether they win or not, give ... them ... a show. The wife and I will be there.

Samuel J. Comroe - It's great to have two comics in the Top Ten. This made me laugh from beginning to end. I hope he gets a Comedy Central special.

Courtney Hadwin - I would've bet money she would have done a Joplin song. Oh well, Tina works too. She's unique, that's for sure. I wish her well.

Shin Lim - I have to agree. Shin is the best magician in the history of this show. Mesmerizing. Captivating. All season I've been waiting for him to go BIG, and he did. Next time I go to Vegas, I want to see him AND Zurcaroh. Just brilliant.

Duo Transcend - Wonderful. Spectacular. The lights, the steam, the drums... it's the complete package. They won't win, but total respect.

Michael Ketterer - I think he'll win. Honestly. There's always a chance America may not vote for a singer. Or, he could split the votes with Courtney and allow someone else to slip through. I can't wait for tomorrow.

My predictions for Top 5 (they don't announce 6th - 10th place):

5. Brian King Joseph
4. Courtney Hadwin
3. Shin Lim
2. Zurcaroh
1. Michael Ketterer

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Wow. So Michael finishes FIFTH and Courtney doesn't even crack the Top 5. Did not see that coming.

Great for Samuel and Brian for finishing 4th and 3rd, higher than I thought they would.

And great for America that they took the two acts most worthy of a Vegas show and made them the Top 2.

Most of all, great for Shin Lim. The dude will now get what he's earned. Hopefully Zurcaroh will too.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Awesome for Shin Lim. He's going to do big things in Vegas. Best magician this show has ever seen, and a well deserved win! Zurcaroh is either going to get their own show or take the show on the road and become a massive success. I bet Brian becomes a major touring act. Maybe he'll team up with Lindsey Stirling. I was stunned Samuel Comroe made the top 5, means his voters made a huge increase from the last round to this one, while Courtney's didn't show up. Guess I was right that she'd always be a little too polarizing to win. Can't believe Michael was 5th, but it is nice that Simon basically said he's going to give him a deal anyway. I wish he had the Garth Brooks song for his actual finals performance, because he slayed that song. Another fantastic season,maybe the best yet!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

With America's Got Talent: The Champions starting on Monday, bringing together 50 great acts from "Got Talent" shows all over the globe, I thought I'd put together my list of the Top Auditions in AGT history. Some of these acts went on to win, others couldn't follow up their audition with a better performance.

Geezer, I'd love to hear your opinion of these.

Season 2: Terry Fator - To think this guy was unknown before this audition, and now he's making NINE FIGURES a year in Vegas. He's no joke, and easily AGT's biggest success story.

Season 2: Cas Haley - This guy had me at go. He has a great reggae voice, and though he didn't stand a chance against Terry, he came in a very respectable second place.

Season 3: Paul Salos - the only AGT contestant who is one of my Facebook Friends. (NOT kidding.) This guy, an ex-Air Force pilot, is class personified. He didn't win, but he's still doing hundreds of shows a year performing Sinatra. For the record, a way better Sinatra singer than the guy who won two seasons later.

Season 4: Barbara Padilla - she should have won, but settled for runner-up to a former chicken farmer who sang passable C&W.As a fellow cancer survivor, I was behind this lady from the start. WIthout a doubt the best female opera singer (I don't consider Jackie Evancho "opera") ever to be on this show.

Season 4: Grandma Lee - there have been some GREAT stand-up comedians in this show's history, but none have burned themselves into my memory like this septuagenarian.

Season 5: Michael Grimm - I knew the second after I heard this performance that Michael was going to win. Then I heard Jackie Evancho. But truth be told, Jackie didn't need to win, Michael did. And this is still one of the most powerful vocal auditions I've heard in AGT's long history.

Season 5: Fighting Gravity - There have been a lot of technological "in the dark" acts on this show, but FG was the first. And, for my money, still the best.

Season 6: The Silhouettes - I love acts that are comprised of kids whose #1 talent isn't that they're cute. This is one of the best.

Season 7: Andrew DeLeon - Never in this show's history have I expected one thing from an act and gotten something completely different. My eyes nearly bugged from my head when he started to sing. I LOVE moments like that.

Season 7 - Olate Dogs - The best animal act ever to appear on the show. I love watching Sharon O lose her damn mind.

Season 8 - Forte - Yeah, okay, there are a lot of opera singers on this list. And I'm not even that big a fan. But... wow.

Season 8 - Kenichi Ebina - Easily the most jaw-dropping dance movies of all time. Which is why he won.

Season 9 - Mat Franco - I love close-up magic. Mat is the king.

Season 10 - Paul Zerdin - It took eight years for another great ventriloquist to grace AGT's stage. And he won.

Season 11 - Grace VanderWaal - What can you say about this girl? She sang ONLY original songs. She broke the ten-year drought of a female winning the show. And she's freaking amazing.

Season 11 - Sofie Dossi - What this girl does with her body is mind-blowing. I love everything about this act.

Season 11 - Tape Face - Never in this show's history has there been a comedic act like Tape Face. Love him or hate him, you'll never forget him.

Season 11 - Daniel Ferguson - This act crashed and burned after one act, but DAMN if this didn't have me rolling on the floor. That Simon impression was perfect.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_syU2a7R7Xg&t=145s[/youtube]

Season 12 - Darci Lynn - This girl is a superstar. She's already on her way to becoming world-famous.

Season 12 - Light Balance - The latest in a line of great "in the dark" groups. Sad they didn't win.

Season 13 - Angel City Chorale - I LOVE "Africa", and have for 30 years. To hear it performed in this way, by over 150 people, blew my mind. Simply fantastic.

Season 13 - Zurcaroh - I defy ANYONE to tell me this isn't an act worthy of Vegas. Simply wonderful.

Season 13 - Shin Lim - The one act that deserved to win over Zurcaroh. Mind-boggling.