America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Geezer »

I woud take Kadie Lynn out of the have a shot crew, and put Steven Brundage into that crew. Otherwise, pretty spot on. I think the 5 spot goes to either Steven or Linkin Bridge
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SEMIFINAL #2

1. Jayna Brown - Wow. I had her as the third-biggest longshot of this field, but this might actually give her an outside chance. Going in the first half of the show often hurts, I've found, unless you go FIRST. You can tell by the order of the lineup who the producers want to move on.

2. Kadan Bart Rockett - It was cute, and kind of a hot mess, but that's part of their charm. But this is not a Vegas act. It's a county fair act. A really good one. I think this is it for them.

3. Kadie Lynn Roberson - I really like her. You're right, Jayna was stronger. But there are a lot of country fans out there. I can't wait to see where she is in five years.

Hmm. Three kids right off the bat.

4. Viktor Kee - There's no doubt he's a showman. He's graceful and has a great look. Howie's right: he's the Baryshnikov of jugglers. Some big act should hire him, pronto.

5. Linkin Bridge - I just love the dichotomy. These a big, tough-looking guys who would intimidate the shit out of me, and I loved how the package showed their sensitive sides. And HOLY SHIT, they were good. Wow. Everyone's bringing their A game!

6. The Passing Zone - I could watch these guys torture Simon all day. ALL DAY. They won't move on, but who cares? I love them.

7. Calysta Bevier - I was not blown away. There wasn't that "wow" moment. Will that cost her a spot? It might.

8. Steven Brundage - Was that Brad Pitt? I honestly couldn't tell. Even so, it's a great act.

9. Sofie Dossi - I LOVE HER!!! That was one of the most amazing acts I've seen on this show. She'd BETTER make the finals.

10. The Clairvoyants - I've given up trying to figure out how these magic acts do it. They are fantastic. What a show.

11. Brian Justin Crum - Jeez, this guy. I can't pay him enough compliments. He's phenomenal.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

1. Jayna Brown - This was her best performance. I think she's already matured a lot from when we first saw her. Good way to start off the show. I didn't think she had a shot, now I do.

2. Kadan Bart Rockett - They are cute and I think they have a pretty bright future if they want to keep this up, but they aren't close to Steven or Jon as far as magicians are concerned.

3. Kadie Lynn Roberson - She was good tonight. I'm happy for her. Much improved. But I do think Jayna was better tonight.

4. Viktor Kee - He's an artist, and a really good one, but his act is a small part of a bigger show, in my opinion. I couldn't watch this for an hour. It works great in small stints, but I can see myself getting bored eventually.

5. Linkin Bridge - WOW. Now THAT was a finals worthy performance. Best of the night so far, and the best from them yet. Love these guys.

6. The Passing Zone - Tremendous. Hilarious. Simon's face was priceless. Maybe they do have a shot, but it is a tough field coming up.

7. Calysta Bevier - I think this was her weakest performance of the season. That said, she's been so strong, its hard to live up to what she's done before. I'm just afraid on a night this deep, it may cost her the finals.

8. Steven Brundage - Holy cow. How on earth does this guy do it? I have no idea. I love him. I love his nerd-magic. It totally works for me. I'd love to see this guy perform.

9. Sofie Dossi - Tonight feels like a final. Everyone has been so good. I have no idea how they choose between these acts. She's amazing.

10. The Clairvoyants - Alright, either the judges are in on it, or they are actually fucking psychics. WOW.

11. Brian Justin Crum - Can't really say it better than Mel did. He was the best of the best on a brilliant, finals-esque night. There are like 8 or 9 acts that truly should be finalists, and we only get to take 5. It is insane.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I can't even call it, Geez. I can't. Everyone was fantastic. This may have been the best 2-hour show in the show's history.

Brian, for sure. Sofie, definitely. After that... I don't know. Anyone could make it. But I'm going to ROOT for Linkin Bridge, Calysta, and either Steven or the Clairvoyants.

However, I have to say this - voters tend to be very consistent. Many of these acts have found themselves in the middle of the pack, and have had to be "saved" in one way or the other. To my knowledge, the acts from this show who have never had to be saved are:

Brian Justin Crum
Calysta Bevier
Sofie Dossi
Viktor Kee
The Clairvoyants

So I have to figure these are the favorites. We'll see, won't we?

If Brian and Calysta get through on votes, that will make five singers in the Top 10, and that pretty much kills any chance of the judges passing through another one, including Linkin Bridge. I have to believe Sofie would win any JV over any other act except maybe the Clairvoyants.

God, what a night. I LOVE THIS SHOW!!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Brian, Clairvoyants and Linkin Bridge were the top 3. Sofie won the Dunkin Save. Judges pick was split. America chose Viktor Kee over Steven Brundage.

I personally would have absolutely chosen the top 4 that went through, but I would have gone Steven over Viktor. That said, I can't really hate the resultm they were both very good. I just like Steven more.

Very happy for Linkin Bridge. I was rooting so hard for them.

Calysta's sub-par night really hurt her on a night where so many gave their best performances.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

How about that. You called it. Too bad for Calysta, but yeah, on a night like that...

So psyched for Linkin Bridge. And though I like Steven, I'm glad Viktor got through.

So in the Finals, we have five singers, two "magic" acts, one comedian, and two "circus" acts.

Here are my picks to win from most likely to least likely:

1. Brian Justin Crum
2. Grace VanderWaal
3. Jon Dorenbos
4. The Clairvoyants
5. Tape Face
6. Laura Bretan
7. Sofie Dossi
8. Linkin Bridge
9. Viktor Kee
10. Sal Valentinetti

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I'd move Laura down the list, I'd move Linkin Bridge up, but really, I'd be willing to bet absolutely anything that one of the top 4 you listed wins this thing, and I REALLY think it's going to be either Brian or Grace.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Sal Valentinetti - He won't win, but this was EASILY his best performance. Absolutely brilliant. Fantastic way to kick off the show.

Sofi Dossi - Hands down the BEST contortionist/hand balancer this show has ever seen. She was freaking INCREDIBLE! Mesmerizing. You can't take your eyes off of her. Just absolutely perfect. Another act, another best performance yet by the contestant. If this trend continues, we're in for a really astonishing final. She's too good for words.

Linkin Bridge - I did like them better last time, but they were still amazing. I love them. I don't think they'll win, but I hope they are selling out stadiums sooner rather than later. I hope they truly find that level of stardom, they deserve it.

Laura Bretan - She's got a voice that is a true gift that might be unparalleled in this competition. She's going to be a star among Opera fans. But she'll never be a true favorite of mine, because I like the other singers better, just because I don't really listen to opera. She's great though. This is probably the most talented final ever.

The Clairvoyants - They're aliens or something. This is a Vegas show right now. They are great showmen, they wow us every time, and they deserve a ton of success in the magic community. This was their best yet. Wow, what a finals.

Brian Justin Crum - Wow, that package was just so incredibly moving. And then to come out and completely reinvent the Man in the Mirror like that and just kill it with every note, holy shit dude. What more can you say about this guy. I said it long ago, and I'm going to say it again tonight, he has the best voice this show has ever produced. He's a superstar, and the only thing that can keep him from winning is a bad spot in the middle of the show, and a little girl named Grace.

Tape Face - Ya know, at first, I was like where the hell is he going with this. I thought it was going to be the first Tape Face performance I didn't like. Then he brought Mel on stage and it was hysterical from there. He is completely RIDICULOUS. And I wouldn't have it any other way. He's just absolutely stupid and I love the stupidity of it all. He can't win, because I don't think what he does has a broad enough reach to take him beyond the top 10. But man, he was always a long shot to get here, and I'm so glad that he did.

Viktor Kee - Probably his best show yet. He is incredible at what he does. It's a brilliant show. I still think it has a short shelf life, I wouldn't watch it for an hour, I think ten minutes would be enough, but that's why he won't win. However, he NEEDS to get into some type of circus show that lets him take the stage and just shine for those ten minutes. He's a breathtaking artist and he deserves success from that.

Jon Dorenbos - He has followed the Matt Franco playbook brilliantly throughout this whole competition. He's an absolutely incredible magician with a great story and great showmanship. He can ABSOLUTELY win this thing. He's just perfect at what he does. He's gotten better every time. That part where he shuffled the cards both up and down, then they were all the same way, so subtle, but equally mind blowing. This is exactly how Matt Franco won, though the competition, especially the singers are stronger this season. But he can totally win it all.

Grace Vanderwaal - Forget everything I just said all night. She just shut the door. GAME OVER. She is going to win, she's going to sell millions of records, she's going to sell out stadiums, she's going to be the single biggest star to come from any American reality television show. That was a freaking MOMENT man.

Best final ever. SO many deserve to win, they all deserve success in their respective genres. But I think Grace takes the cake.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

FINALS!

Sal Valentinetti - He's a cool guy, and I hope he gets gigs. He was built for Vegas. He won't win, but that's not always the point of entering. He OWNED it tonight.

Sofie Dossi - Wow. Just wow. I could watch this girl for hours. It's captivating. Simple, elegant. She's a superstar, and I hope she does this for the next two decades.

Linkin Bridge - They looked great. They lost the harmony for a few seconds at the end, but I'm so proud of them.

Laura Bretan - Beautiful dress, beautiful song, beautiful girl. Just like Sophie, I hope she gets to do this for the rest of her life.

The Clairvoyants - Mind... blown. Again. Holy crap. Yeah, you are right. This IS a Vegas show. Someone had better hire them immediately.

Brian Justin Crum - That package had me bawling. No fooling. Hit me right in the feels. I personally don't like this song, but I love his version. He's going to go far, win or no.

Tape Face - There have been some great stand-up comics on this show, but WOW. There has never been anyone like Tape Face. I love him. LOVE him. Now THAT is toilet humor!

Viktor Kee - My least favorite act of the night. Yeah, he's great, but like you said, I couldn't watch this indefinitely. He'd be great as a cast member.

Jon Dorenbos - I think I like his last trick better. But he's a great guy, and he's definitely got a career after football.

Grace VanderWaal - Wow. I'm beyond speechless. She's the winner. Period.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

How about THAT, Geez!

Grace is the winner!!

I thought it would come down between her and either Brian Justin or Jon, but they took 4th and 3rd, respectively. Runner-up went to The Clairvoyants, who I think will end up staying in Vegas long after Grace's show has run it's course. Fifth place went to Sal, believe it or not.

Will people go see a Vegas show featuring a 12-year-old ukelelist? Maybe. Glad she got the prize, because it ends the drought of 1) singers winning (4 seasons), 2) girls winning (10 seasons), and 3) a youngster winning (also 10 seasons). Plus, she's still in middle school - how does one fit a Vegas show around that? I hope her parents aren't already counting the money she's going to make, is all I'm saying.

What a great year. The best year yet. I'm going to hope that Clairvoyants, Sofie and Viktor find their way to a Vegas stage, and so will Jon after he retires from the NFL. I hope Laura, BJC, Linkin Bridge and (sigh) even Sal get either a record deal or a stage to perform on. And Tape Face? Well... someone somewhere's gotta book him.

I've said this before on talent show winners, but this time I mean it. I am buying Grace's first CD on opening day. And then a CD player to play it.

Congrats, Grace Vanderwaal. You are America's sweetheart. NEVER EVER forget what it feels like to be a 12-year-old girl.

Final note: Why was Nick wearing a TURBAN?

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I was asking that same turban question all night! It was a really fantastic show. I loved the Linkin Bridge bit with The Silhouettes. I loved Tape Face's part. Laura with that trio and Sofie and Viktor, that could be a show by itself! It was a truly great final show of the best season yet.

On the results, I'm not surprised at all. She's a superstar in making. The top 4 were very obvious to me (and Sal shouldn't be too much of a surprise, if you look at the top 3's from the Semi's, he was in it for his show. Obviously the guy has a following). I'm a little surprised that the Clairvoyants were second, I'd have had them 4th. But it was Grace's year. I don't think she's built for Vegas at all, so I actually kinda wish Jon or Clairvoyants had won, so she could just record and tour, and they could have the Vegas show. But its a small concern, I'm sure it will work itself out.

My favorite thing about Grace, and about what it shows from this season, is she NEVER sang a cover. She performed 4 times and sang a different original song every time, and it won her the crown. Every other singer only sand covers. It requires so much more talent, and is so much riskier to come out with your own stuff and sing it. It is why I think she's going to be a bigger star than is typical from a reality show. She's got so much talent at age 12, and she's only going to get better. I can't wait to see where her career takes her. Same goes for so many of tonight's acts. Give BJC a good backing band and he's going to be a phenomenal rock front man. I hope all the best for Linkin Bridge. I guarantee someone in Vegas gives the Clairvoyants their own show, and Jon absolutely has a place when he decides to hang up the cleats.

What a great year.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

What a great start to the Judges' Cuts!!

My opinions of the acts moving on:

Sara and Hero - I really liked this act, but I wouldn't have put them through given the level of talent on this show.

The Masqueraders - Love, love, LOVE these guys. Totally agree.

Eric Jones - I'm on the fence about him. It was a great trick, but I think I liked the English cell-phone trick guy better.

Angelica Hale (Golden Buzzer) - totally agree. She is FANTASTIC and only NINE YEARS OLD!!

Just Jerk - I'm not impressed by 99% of the dance crews on this show, but this impressed the hell out of me. Totally agree.

The Singing Trump - This guy has grown on me. I loved this act and I can't wait to see what he does next.

Demian Aditya - Holy farking shit. That trick BLEW MY MIND. Yeah, there was no way he wasn't going through.

Instead of Sara and Hero, I probably would have put through Darcy Callus (the guy who sang Queen). I also loved the Iranian hand-balancer and the opera singer, and am sad to see them go.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I think every year, this stage pisses me off the most, and this was no exception. I just finished and hopefully this rant is cathartic.

My opinions of the acts moving on:

Sara and Hero - Fuck this act and their pity party, I have a dog and its just so loveable bullshit. This was one of the worst acts of the night and they went through instead of some other, much more deserving acts/

The Masqueraders - They were the best act of the night... when they went on. Then act after act surpassed them as the night progressed. I'm not terribly mad, but they won't go past their Live round, and I think they took a spot from someone better.

Eric Jones - I disagree. I like him better than the English cell-phone guy. He's a better presenter, and I felt like the Cell-phone trick wasn't set up well and left me just feeling like it was more of a technology trick than something magical, whereas with Eric's, I thought WHAT HOW THE HELL WAS THE CARD IN THE BUZZER???. That being said, there would have been room for BOTH of them, if they didn't take some crap acts.

Angelica Hale (Golden Buzzer) - Now this they got right. Her voice is FLAWLESS and it is insane that she's nine and already that good. She KILLED that song, and that song is impossible. Best of the night

Just Jerk - I agree with this one as well, and you summed it up well. I don't care for many dance groups, but they are just so precise and technically flawless that they had to go through.

The Singing Trump - I hated him the first time, but whatever, its a gimmick act. I absolutely thought he did it better this time. I laughed out loud several times. But it is still a gimmick act and DOES NOT BELONG going forward over some of the really, really great acts.

Demian Aditya - One of the single most incredible things I have seen on this show. Jaw-dropping, incredible stuff. This guy is ready for the big time NOW. His poor wife, assuming she's not just a really convincing actress.

"Instead of Sara and Hero, I probably would have put through Darcy Callus (the guy who sang Queen). I also loved the Iranian hand-balancer and the opera singer, and am sad to see them go."

All three of them should have gone in over Sara and Hero. The Opera singer ABSOLUTELY should be moving on. That is insane. He was one of the best of the night. The comedian who did the bit about lightning might be the best comedian we had this season. There is no WAY he shouldn't be moving on to the next round. The hand balancer was SO good. When he kicked the blocks out my freaking heart stopped. Yet he goes home and the gimmicky Trump singer moves on? Ridiculous. I'd absolutely put the opera singer, hand balancer, and comedian over Sara and Hero, Trump, and the Masqueraders. And I didn't even mention the second magician, who I liked but like I said, thought his presentation was off, or Darcy who I liked too. I hope the rest of the judges cuts don't piss me off so much or I might have an aneurysm

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Acts moving on (Week 2)

Chase Goehring (DJ Khaled's GB) - Wow. Just wow. He's a great songwriter, his nerves are rock-solid, and he's a true original. Nice to see a male singer with a shot at the win. It's tough to compete with all the preteen girls!

Junior and Emily Alabi - Since they showed these two immediately after two other dance acts, I can only surmise we're not seeing the acts in the same order the audience did. Honestly, they're great dancers, but it's not a Vegas act. They're not going to win. Talent-wise, they measure up, but I'd be surprised if they make it past the next round unless they REALLY step up their showmanship.

Mirror Image - Wow, they got an X and STILL moved on? That's got to be a first. I'm baffled they made it through. They are SO ANNOYING. They sound like they're on helium. And the dancing.... (facepalm). No. Just no.

Evie Clair - Arizona girl! Shout-out! God, her dad's story is heartbreaking. I hope he survives long enough to see his little girl shine. My one hope was that she would shed her nerves. She didn't. She needs to master them, or the other little-girl singers will leave her behind. I LOVE her voice, but I worry for her. OPEN YOUR EYES, EVIE!

Colin Cloud - The Sherlock Holmes guy. Unlike the other two magicians, this guy has showmanship. Love his magic, love his stage presence, but I HATE his hair.

Puddles Pity Party - What's the difference between him and last week's opera guy? Is his makeup and silence just a shtick? Honestly, something about him just rubs me the wrong way. I want to like him because I like him, not because I'm forced to feel sorry for him. It's just weird to hear him sing and not talk any other time.

Yoli Mayor - Apart from Chase, the best performance of the night. I love her story (natch), and know how hard it is to overcome bullying and stereotypes. I'm so glad the producers put her last, a dead giveaway that they want her to succeed. Simon's advice to her in her audition was spot-on, and she ran with it.

The ones who didn't make it:

Sammulous - I liked him, but with six spots (excluding the GB) and three already going to singers, he was the odd man out. If he'd gone with something less Vegas lounge-y, he might have had a shot.

Steven Scott - This is just not the year for stand-up. Too bad, I laughed out loud several times. The fast-forward was brilliant.

The Quiddlers - This was mildly funny once. ONCE.

Str8jacket Dance Company - By the time the show was over, I'd already forgotten them. Guess the judges did too.

Solto and Tdot - Good, but not good enough.

Jogku and Archin - CHICKENS!!

Dakota Striplin - Don't remember his audition (not his fault, he probably got the thirty-second treatment). He's good, but not really special. I don't like it when singers perform the whole song with their eyes closed.

Azeri Brothers - Sorry. Just can't get behind acts like this. I know there's a fan base for this, but I'm not in it.

The Godfathers - Apart from their attire, nothing I haven't seen before.

Tulga - This was IMPRESSIVE, I have to say. It it were me, I would have put him ahead of Mirror Image in a hot second.

Kyle Eschen - With three magicians performing, you had to know only one would make it. I love close-up magic, and I loved this trick, but I want some spectacle.

Xavier Mortimer - This was cool. I am disappointed I only got the briefest glimpse of it.

Pelican 212 - Another act I wish I'd seen more of. I might not have put them through, but I hate that some acts get short shrift.

So final thoughts: I would have put through Tulga and Steven Scott over Mirror Image and Puddles (or Junior and Emily).

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Acts moving on (Week 2)

Chase Goehring (DJ Khaled's GB) -He was one of my favorite auditions, and he absolutely killed yet again. Love that he got the Golden Buzzer. He is so damn talented. He could definitely win, and I'll be rooting for him.

Junior and Emily Alabi - I was very surprised when they got put through after all the (justified) criticism they took. It was impressive, but far too brief. They need to do a lot more to have any prayer of advancing any further.

Mirror Image - I actually liked their first audition. I think they are pretty good entertainers, just not while singing or dancing. I think they'd make wonderful hosts for a show like AGT. But they didn't deserve to move on based on this audition. They shouldn't take themselves as seriously as they did this time around. I never in a million years thought they would move on after being X'd.

Evie Clair - I pretty much agree with your take. This wasn't a great performance, but her audition was. I'm glad they gave her another chance.

Colin Cloud - He was fantastic. Absolutely brilliant. I like the hair!

Puddles Pity Party - I actually like the whole package of Puddles. It's memorable. He's like Tape Face and Prince Poppycock had a baby. And his voice is absolutely stunning. It sounds even better because his lack of speaking and the clown make-up just make it so surprising to hear the voice come out of him. I'm a fan.

Yoli Mayor - Yup, Simon was right, and damn did she deliver in this one. Lots of singing competition, but she'll be in the mix. I'm glad she stopped trying so hard to be Adele.

The ones who didn't make it:

Sammulous - He missed his calling by about 40 years.

Steven Scott - He was funny! I think he probably deserved to go through over Mirror Image or Junior and Emily.

The Quiddlers - DISAGREE. I liked it better this time! I absolutely thought they were moving on when I saw who they were stacked up against... I was shocked to be wrong. Though I'm not sure I would have fought to put them through, just thought they were better than Mirror Image.

Str8jacket Dance Company - I have no idea who this was.

Solto and Tdot - Same.

Jogku and Archin - Thank God the chickens sucked. This was never a Vegas act.

Dakota Striplin - Just ok. Blown out of the water by Chase.

Azeri Brothers - Yeah I didn't really watch.

The Godfathers - Yeah we've seen better acts that do this type of thing.

Tulga - Yup, me too. There's no way if I were picking a top 7, this guy doesn't make it in. How Mirror Image and Junior and Emily both made it over hi is beyond me.

Kyle Eschen - I LOVED this guy. I think it kinda sucks that they kinda feel like they can't take too many magicians. He may not have been quite as impressive as Colin, he was still one of the best 7 acts of this night, and he should have gone through.

Xavier Mortimer - This on the other hand, I didn't get it.

Pelican 212 - Meh.

So final thoughts: I would have put through Tulga and Kyle Eschen over Mirror Image and Junior and Emily, but I'm not quite as pissed as last week.