America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Geezer »

I think tonight we have 4 locks to go home, but that last cut is going to HURT.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Who are the four? I have another hour to wait before it starts.

I'm betting two are FLIP and ThroWings. Perhaps Ryan & Amberlynn? And Stephen Brundage? I'm basing this on what I've seen previously.

And by the way, AGT is obviously taking the next two weeks off for the Olympics. Dammit.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Quarterfinals #2

1. FLIP - They were brought back because there wasn't a traditional "dance crew" in the live shows. Honestly, they were better this time than any other time. But they still won't move on.

2. Moya Angela - Not my favorite of hers. She has a great voice, and I think she'll squeak by this round. Mel B was a little too harsh, imho.

3. Victor Kee - No, he won't win, but I hope someone in Vegas gives him a job. With his talent, there is a spot for him in a show somewhere. Love that he got a standing O even after a minor flub.

4. Kadie Lynn Roberson - I love that she's got such a handle on things at 12, and she's for sure a future star. But compared to Calysta and Laura (and, hopefully, Grace), she's on the outside looking in.

5. Ryan Stock & Amberlynn - Holy fuck. That could have gone so much worse. Hope this is the last time we see them.

6. Calysta Bevier - Wow. Just ... wow. She's amazing. If any girl can break the dry spell for girls on this show, it's her.

7. Sofie Dossi - I am blown away. This girl is going to have a LONG career in show biz.

8. The Clairvoyants - That was bonkers. Insane. They should be finalists.

9. Sal Valentinetti - Never heard One Direction done better!! Seriously, he'll go through. And good for him losing all that weight!

10. ThroWings - It was heart-stopping, but you're right. This in itself is not a Vegas show.

11. Steven Brundage - How great that so many people backed him after he got cut! And what a great trick!!

12. Sos and Victoria - Yeah, I have to agree. This just doesn't impress me anymore.

Plus, you know... looking at the next round of QF's.... honestly, there isn't a single act in the bunch that I would say has ZERO chance of advancing with the possible exception of the mom/son dance duo. Brian, Grace, Malevo and Linkin' Bridge are the obvious favorites. Beyond that, it's anybody's guess.

My choices to move on:

Clairvoyants
Calysta Bevier
Sofie Dossi
Steven Brundage
Kadie Lynn Roberson
Sal Valentinetti
Victor Kee

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I think the bottom 4 you listed are the ones for sure going home, so basically I agree with that part of your order. At least I feel that way before seeing anyone perform, that is.

1. FLIP - Meh. Waste of a wild card. Next!

2. Moya Angela - It wasn't her best performance, but I still think she's great and has a damn powerful voice. That said, she might be a candidate for an exit. Depends how the rest of he acts do.

3. Victor Kee - He's just so great at what he does. He's an artist. I don't think he has a shot at WINNING, but I like him.

4. Kadie Lynn Roberson - I didn't love it, honestly. It was easily her worst performance for me. She seemed really nervous, and I too wish it was a stripped down performance. I still think she's a lock, and she IS only 12, so I can't really fault her that much, but I'm hoping she comes back stronger next time.

5. Ryan Stock & Amberlynn - Well, I think this might have been the first danger act we've seen where something has actually seriously gone wrong. Hopefully he's ok. I actually think that it lends itself to an even greater sense of danger to what they do, and makes it overall more impressive, but based on the fact that they didn't pull off what they were attempting, and the fact that I didn't think they had a huge chance of going through anyway, I think that sealed their fate. Again, hope that he's not seriously injured.

6. Calysta Bevier - She's amazing. My goodness. She's an instant finalist. Probably top 5, could be even better than that. She could win it all.

7. Sofie Dossi - This girl! I have no idea how her body can do any of that, but damn! Business is picking up! She's awesome.

8. The Clairvoyants - I am just completely stumped. This is crazy. How could she know the exact number of beans Mel would pull out. That was jaw-dropping.

9. Sal Valentinetti - He's definitely got the crooner act down, and he can definitely sing. He'll get a ton of votes from 70 year-old women. He'll get through tonight, but I don't think he's a finalist.

10. ThroWings - I think what they do is AWESOME. It's awesome for exactly as long as we see it here on AGT. It would get old after a few more minutes. It would be a great piece of a bigger act.

11. Steven Brundage - Shoutout to Saratoga Springs, New York (where I just got back from, was at the track this weekend!). Now that that is out of the way. HOLY SHIT!!!!!! How did he do that? How did those cubes come out exactly the same? He is right up there with any magician on this show and I am so glad they brought him back, he definitely deserved it. Original, amazing, and impossible. He belongs in the finals.

12. Sos and Victoria - At this point, for me, it has gotten old. I would send them home, for sure.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

My votes go to Calysta, Sofie, The Clairvoyants and Steven. I also think Kadie Lynn, Sal and Victor will advance. Moya might get in over Victor.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay, I gotta take off, but according to Wiki, halfway through the results show:

Viktor Kee - in
Steven Brundage - in
The Clairvoyants - in

Sos and Victoria - out

On the bubble:
Kadie Lynn Roberson
Sal Valentinelli
ThroWings

I have to imagine Kadie Lynn or Sal will get the Insta-Save, and whichever doesn't will get the Judge's Save.

And I HAVE to believe Calysta and Sofie will be the other two automatically moving on. Sorry, Moya.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Yeah, that's exactly how it is going to play out. Victor getting more votes than Sal and Kadie Lynn surprised me, but the 7 who are moving on are the 7 who deserve it. No way Throw Wings gets by against Kadie or Sal on judges votes.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Glad I was right.

Oh... and how awesome was it to see Team iLuminate again???

So here is a sneak preview of the next show (in three weeks):

Favorites:
Brian Justin Crum
Grace Vanderwaal
Linkin' Bridge
Malevo

Could get by with a superior performance:
Edgar
The Passing Zone
Ronee Martin
Kadan Bart Rockett
Julie Scott

Odds are against it:
Vello Vaher
Blake Vogt
Alla & Daniel Novikov

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I'm not so sure why you aren't very high on Blake Vogt. Just too many magicians? He was AWESOME in the judges cuts.

I think we're pretty much in the same spot as last week. I've got 4 I really think should go home with Vello, Alla & Daniel, Kadan and though I like them, I don't think Edgar has the pure talent among this crop of musicians. So once again, its that last elimination that is going to sting for me, and I think it will come down to The Passing Zone or Ronnee Martin, depending on how the night goes.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Quarterfinals #3

1. Vello Vaher - The set was great, but there's just no way to make the tummy ripple exciting anymore.

2. Ronee Martin - Loved her. She was miles better than Moya. I really, really hope she goes through. She's earned it.

3. Kadan Bart Rockett - It was a great trick, but the set up was a little too cutesy-poo. And also... why do the people setting up the trick have to be kids too? Not sure it will be enough.

4. Linkin Bridge - Not my favorite song of theirs, and I think Simon was a tad harsh, but I hope they go through.

5. Alla and Daniel Novikov - Meh.

6. Blake Vogt - Mind. Blown. I regret ever getting down on this guy. This is shaping up to be an incredible show.

7. Edgar - Okay, I like them. I just don't love them. Can't put my finger on why. They just don't blow me away.

8. Julia Scotti - Ya know who should spoon? SPOONS!! Loved her. Hope she goes through.

9. Brian Justin Crum - He's definitely got Adam Lambert range. Will he win? I'm not sure. His career is made, though.

10. Malevo - Maybe it was a tad overproduced, but they should definitely move on.

11. The Passing Zone - I love these guys. I could watch them torture Howie for hours. I am on their side, for sure.

12. Grace Vanderwaal - You want Brian to win, Geez? I want this girl to duke it out with Calysta for the win. She's phenomenal. I want to adopt her. Wow.

Who I hope goes through:

All of them! (except Alla & Daniel, Vello, Edgar, Kadan, and one other that's gonna suck to cut)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

1. Vello Vaher - They wasted a lot of money building that set for a sure-fire cut. He just does not belong with some of the other talent.

2. Ronee Martin - Her stage presence is just ok, but her voice is FLAWLESS.

3. Kadan Bart Rockett - That was actually really good, and cute and funny. I really liked it, a lot more than I expected to. They are contenders for sure.

4. Linkin Bridge - Wow, I really hope these guys are successful and make oodles of money. They SO deserve it. So damn good.

5. Alla and Daniel Novikov - Cute, but it has never been a Vegas show or an act worth a million dollars. And they weren't even good tonight. Didn't deserve to be here.

6. Blake Vogt - He's an incredible magician, and I have NO idea how he did that. Tough to follow Kadan and that adorable stage presense, but hopefully two magicians can move on tonight.

7. Edgar - I like them a lot, but I was pretty bored tonight. I don't know if they have the strength to go through tonight, though the judges LOVED it.

8. Julia Scotti - She's an AMAZING comedian. She's going to have a legitimate career after this show, win or lose. I'd love to see her in a context outside of AGT where she can just let go without censoring herself at all.

9. Brian Justin Crum - Ok, I'm officially willing to go there. THE BEST SINGER THIS SHOW HAS EVER PRODUCED. He's going to win.

10. Malevo - Ok so here's my problem: The background music COMPLETELY drowned out the drumming, the tapping, all of it. It was easily my least favorite of theirs. But it is definitely a Vegas show. I just wish the music wasn't overpowering them. The rest was on point.

11. The Passing Zone - I think this one was a mis-step. That was funny and all, but it just didn't seem that difficult to pull off, and juggling is all about difficulty. I think they go home on this loaded night.

12. Grace Vanderwaal - I love everything about Grace Vanderwaal. I can't wait til she is taking over the radio airwaves. With her own songs, to boot. She's a superstar. I loved what Simon said.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

There's no getting around it, we're going to lose a couple really talented acts tonight. Vello and the Novikov's are gone for sure. I'd personally cut the Passing Zone and Edgar. The last spot probably goes to one of the magicians (who split that vote) or Ronnie (who may suffer from a bad position in the show considering the singers who followed.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Grace could DEFINITELY win, but I'm feeling that her rawness and the fact that male singers have always faired better on AGT will leave her in second place (and its not as if Brian isn't deserving, he's an incredibly strong performer). She's going to be the biggest STAR this show produces though, possibly ever. Her songs are going to be inescapable radio hits.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Geezer wrote:Grace could DEFINITELY win, but I'm feeling that her rawness and the fact that male singers have always faired better on AGT will leave her in second place (and its not as if Brian isn't deserving, he's an incredibly strong performer). She's going to be the biggest STAR this show produces though, possibly ever. Her songs are going to be inescapable radio hits.
I would agree. I'm sure many of the singing acts that do well on AGT go on to bigger and better things, but I know of no one who has really achieve superstar status from the singing genre with the exception of Jackie Evancho. Not Michael Grimm, not Emily West, not Landau Murphy, not Poplyfe. None of them. The problem is, a Vegas show is NOT a recording deal. Success has many layers, but this, sadly, is why AGT is a better show for non-singers than it ever will be for singers.

Actually, come to think of it, how many Voice contestants have achieved the superstardom of, say Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood? None, that I can think of. Again, I've done zero research and I am as out of touch with current music as my dead grandmother, but I really wonder just how many careers are significantly helped by doing well on The Voice or AGT beyond the obligatory 15 minutes of fame.

I am so happy to hear Terry Fator and Recycled Percussion and Team iLuminate are doing well. I hope Fighting Gravity is also.

All that being said, I hope singers like Grace, Laura, Calysta, Kadie Lynn, and even Jayna go on to bigger and better things. The fact that they are 12-16 in age makes their potential unlimited.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

And the fact that Grace is already writing her own music, not just covering pop songs, makes a HUGE difference, in my opinion. She's not just a singer. And her folky type style is actually pretty big right now. That is why I think she'll be doing better than most of those on the Voice and others from AGT's past. Because you are completely right, the large majority of those who get their fame from reality tv shows are lucky to even be one-hit wonders.

I've never watched the Voice, and I couldn't name one person who has won it. That proves your point.