America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Shrykespeare »

Because we enjoy it. And it's cheaper than talking about it on the phone.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

But how is it any different than the other talent competitions on television?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Apart from the variety: None, I guess. But it's the variety that makes it awesome. (Well, that and Nick Cannon.) You get all ages, all talents, from every corner of America (or even the world). It doesn't pigeonhole talented people into one category.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I'm not saying you're wrong, but if his stutter is true and not a lie, then he didn't need that whole war veteran thing. Overcoming a disability is enough to garner sympathy without throwing in a phony war wound.
Totally. As well as looking like a 12 year old boy who the mother's loved, Gates and the show made a great effort to utilise his speech impediment to win over the audiences, and it really worked. I'm kind of surprised this guy didn't use his stupidity as a ploy to win audiences over though, as surely he knew if he had a rat's chance of getting beyond that round the fake war story thing would come out? With how the likes of E! go into great detail (the good and the bad) of contestants on these shows, you'd think he'd have thought it through a little....

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

MONDAY

Sebastian de la Cruz and "El Charro de Oro", mariachi band, 10-30 - He was great, but I doubt it can be a Vegas act.

Bandbaz Brothers, 34-58, acrobats - I loved it too, holy shit the strength these guys have.

Tim Poe, 35, country singer - Holy shit dude. This is the first I heard about this. WHAT AN IDIOT. This guy is seriously fucked in the head. He had the talent to go possibly top 10, and the story made him a shoe-in to win. But now? He ruined it, completely. Any chance he had is gone. What a moron. But I'm actually happy, because now the competition isn't over before it started.

Ganbataar Contortion Sisters - Agreed. What can contortionists do other than contort?

Edon Pinchot, about 13, singer - I want to hear more, I loved him.

Joe Castillo, sand artist - Very Silhouettes, but also very very cool. I loved it.

David Smith, human cannonball - 100% agree with you about this being Professor Splash 2.0. But I don't necessarily believe it can get much better. I also don't know if it is a talent.... I feel like I could get shot out of a cannon and land in a net. It is more ballsy than it is talented.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

TUESDAY

Aurora Light Painters, 38-46, performance artists - I honestly didn't get it. I had no freaking idea what was going on. It was like they made a giant magna doodle, which also had the ability to take instant flash photographs. It just wasn't that cool to me. Maybe next time, but I didn't get what made this so great.

Eric and Olivia, 20, guitarist and singer - I know Piers would have said that, 100%. She sounded a lot like Colbie Caillat, and she made an awful song tolerable.

Eric Dittelman, mind reader - This is exactly part of what Chris Angel does, and his tickets go for over 200 bucks a pop. It can absolutely be a Vegas act. I have no idea how he does it. I usually assume everyone involved is in on the show, but the judges wouldn't do that. If he was a fraud they'd have exposed him. It's awesome to see something like this in this setting. He was fantastic.

Summer Lacey, aerial dancer - Yup, this act is getting old fast.

Nikki Jensen, singer/guitarist -

Josh "B-Boy Elusive" Vineyeard, dancer - I don't remember either of these two acts.

And the pimp spot goes to:

Andrew De Leon, 19, singer - This year's Prince Poppycock for certain. He doesn't have the costumes or the flamboyance, but he has every bit the pipes. He could win the whole damn thing. What an amazing moment.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Buscemi wrote:I've never commented on this thread but I don't understand why you two obsess over something that's basically American Idol but with more variety.
Well I don't get why you constantly obsess over things like "The Hunger Games is a Twilight rip-off and Prometheus will bomb." Shryke and I make two posts a week on this thread, you make dozens complaining about things you don't even like. I think you are the one who has an obsession. We just like a tv show.

And though Idol is ok, this show is 10 times better. Most of that comes from the variety. Singing gets really old, really fast. But it is also the judges and the host. Nick Cannon is 1000 times the host Ryan Seacrest is. He actually brings something to the table. And the judges aren't a group of vanilla, i'm just here for the paycheck, ex musicians. They have personalities of their own. It's a fun show, and there is something new and cool in just about every episode.

This week was especially good. A ton of great acts

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well said, Geez. On American Idol you get the occasional seasoned musician that's been struggling to find an audience, but for every one of those you get dozens of privileged, voice-coached Glee kids who are looking for their first big break.

You will never, EVER see on American Idol something like we saw this week in Andrew De Leon, a outcast kid dressed like Marilyn Manson (including the vampire eyes) who spent his whole life holed up in his room, only to come out into the sunlight to amaze us with his gift. Only on this show.

And about the only host I would put on the same level of Nick Cannon is So You Think You Can Dance's Cat Deeley. She's exactly the right amount of goofy and perky, she's taller than most of the contestants, and she's got the cutest British accent ever.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I thought Nick Cannon was near death since he's been having health issues (he's been taking steroids to get in shape and his body hasn't reacted well to them).

As for having hosts, why have them? Isn't that what the celebrity judges are for?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Nick's health scare was a few months ago. He's on a new diet and is apparently on the mend.

And as for having a host, I think it's valuable to have someone on the stage rather than behind a table facing it.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

News regarding Tim Poe:

From what I've read, the six audition rounds took place between February and April of this year. I am not certain exactly when they had Vegas Week (of even if they've had it yet), but it seems clear that we've seen the last of Tim Poe.

If they had Vegas Week before the news about Tim Poe cam to light, odds are they would put him through. If that happened, it's likely that the producers would DQ him and replace him with someone else that they originally sent home.

If the news came out prior to Vegas Week, it's likely that Poe wouldn't be allowed to show up. And if he did, it's unlikely the judges would put him through (Howard called the incident "wrong on so many levels"). In either case, I hope that Vegas Week is edited such that any appearance Poe may have made isn't even shown.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I don't know if it was different where you are, Geez, but for me, the auditions that were supposed to air on Monday (along with American Ninja Warrior) were pre-empted by the final game in the Stanley Cup. I had hoped that they would join the show "in progress" once the game ended (and it ended at 8:05pm), but no, they just showed two hours of local programming instead.

So on Tuesday, instead of doing two hours of new auditions, they aired ANW and then one hour of AGT. So if there were auditions on your TV that you saw and I didn't, so be it.

The Untouchables, 8-13, ballroom dancers - I'm sure you remember the Miami All-Stars from last year, and this seems to be the junior version of that (with the same teachers). Between the costumes, the skill and the familiarity, I will probably remember this dance act more than most of the others.

The Scott Brothers, dancers - They were quite good, but the novelty will wear off fairly quickly. Love a good robot though.

Charlie C, 40ish, singer - A decent voice from what little I heard of him. Will reserve judgement till I hear him again.

Taylor Reed, magician - I liked the trick, but it seems like every magician this season has only gotten the 30-second spot. No way to really gauge talent that way.

I can't believe they gave the water-skiing squirrel a full 10 minutes. This is something that should be on Stupid Pet Tricks, not AGT.

American BMX Stunt Team, stunt bikers - See what Jeremy Vanschoonhoven and Smage Bros. started? I really admire what they were able to do with so many bikers in so small a space, but this is nothing we haven't seen before.

Then we had "yeses" given to the Ozzy/Sharon lookalikes, another hip-hop dance crew and a military rifle-twirling act. No, no, and maybe.

Lindsey Norton, 16, dancer - She's cute, she's adorable, and in two years, she could have tried out for SYTYCD. I love her to death, and I hope that she gets a career in dance, but her by herself is not a Vegas act.

Big Barry, 70, "singer" - I wish this wasn't an AGT tradition, but there's always one act that's so laughably awful that the judges send it through to Vegas out of sheer bemusement or pity. So let the old munschkin go to Vegas, that's sweet. He'd better not get past that round, is all I'm saying.

On the whole, a very disappointing night. Not one single act that I think has a shot at winning.

The Untouchables:

American BMX Stunt Team:

Lindsey Norton:

Charlie C:

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

The Untouchables, 8-13, ballroom dancers - Yup, I remember them. These teachers are phenomenal. I think this year's version might be better than last year.

The Scott Brothers, dancers - Sure is a lot of pop-locking going on this year.

Charlie C, 40ish, singer - I don't remember this person already.

Taylor Reed, magician -Exactly what you said.

I can't believe they gave the water-skiing squirrel a full 10 minutes. This is something that should be on Stupid Pet Tricks, not AGT. - No kidding. This has been a joke on Sportscenter since Sportscenter was invented. It's not talent, it's not new, and it just showed how much they were grasping at straws in this episode.

American BMX Stunt Team, stunt bikers - Not new anymore, not cool, I'm sure there are hundreds of groups out there exactly like this.

Then we had "yeses" given to the Ozzy/Sharon lookalikes, another hip-hop dance crew and a military rifle-twirling act. No, no, and maybe. - I think I missed this entire segment just by looking down at the computer for 30 seconds.

Lindsey Norton, 16, dancer - I agree

Big Barry, 70, "singer" - Yeah he won't get through Vegas, but I thought it was charming. I like the guy but he can't sing a lick.

This was the only episode I got too, shryke. As by the time the hockey game got out here, it would have been much later. And this was the worst episode of the season.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay, last round of auditions.

First, the ones that got the "blink and you missed them" treatment:

The Midnight Circus, acrobatic dance group - Not bad, but need to see more.

The Always, band - Again, need to hear more. Why have all the bands and magicians gotten short shrift in auditions?

Then we got two poppers much like last week's poppers, dressed like the Hamburglar. This was followed by Ruben Studdard's cousin, an impressionist whose Nicholson sucks, and the two 85-year old tap-dancing sisters. Maybe, maybe, fuck no, fuck no.

Then the ones that got the right amount of air time:

Lil Starr, 6, tap dancer - Howard's right, it's not a Vegas act, but she's so frickin' cute I don't care. For a second-grader, she is one FIERCE dancer!

Jacob Williams, 23, comedian - He is a bit of a square, but his jokes were pretty funny. This is shaping up to be a decent season for comedians.

787 Crew, 18-30, dance crew - Of all the dance crews this season, these guys actually stand out. The moves were pretty good, but add that to the costumes with the mohawks and fauxhawks, and they could go Top 10 if they bring it. Vive la Puerto Rico! (They were also on America's Best Dance Crew last year... guess that didn't work out.)

And the pimp spot goes to:

Mary Joyner, 21, singer - FINALLY. It's been a pretty weak field of female singers, but I'm glad there is at least one girl with a shot at winning. It's awesome that she is the daughter of FloJo (whom I admired greatly), and she's got a tremendous voice. I think she could make the Top 4 easily.

Lil Starr:

Jacob Williams:

787 Crew:

Mary Joyner:

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

start discussion on next page.