America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Shrykespeare »

Geez,

Since you are as obsessed with AGT as I am, apparently, let's discuss our favorite summer talent show here instead of clogging up the "What Are You Watching Right Now" thread.

Well, I think I've got a bead on why the math was so funky. Here is apparently how it will work: Four shows of 12 acts apiece, four moving on to the semis. And then there will be a fifth (and possibly a sixth) QF round, consisting of acts who applied on YouTube. This will make the SF round 24-strong.

So here's my take on tonight's acts:

Cheer SF - great for the sidelines, bad for Vegas.

Alice Tan Ridley - classy lady, and with some awesome pipes. No way she's not moving on.

Mona Sampath Dance Co. - I like the vibrant colors and energy of Bollywood dancing, but the judges were split.

Iron Horse - Piers hit the nail on the head... they're nothing more than a really cool bar band.

The Strong Man - Yeah, he's strong, but he has the personality of a substitute teacher.

Ronith - Hated this guy being here from the beginning. Almost makes me miss Boy Shakira and Leonid the Magnificent. Howie, does your buzzer WORK?!

Hannibal Means - He's got a hell of a voice, and is a great showman, but something about him just creeps me out. I look at him and I see one of those villains from the old Batman TV show that didn't quite make the cut. Which means he's perfect for Vegas. :cry: :roll:

Wreckless - Definitely one of my sentimental favorites. Didn't like this performance as much as their audition, but I safely say few acts want it more than they do.

Lil Chris - Bravo to the kid for trying to dance and sing simultaneously for the first time. He did very well, but was a bit raw in spots. He looks like he could be Usher's little brother. I find myself pulling for him. We need a midpoint between the teenage hunkiness of Nate Kenyon and the deluge of cuteness that is Future Funk.

AscenDance - I LOVE this act. I knew they needed a bigger wall and more people to reach the "next level", and they did. Graceful and beautiful. I hope they move on!

Antonio Restivo - Another one of my favorites, and another act that screams Vegas. I mean, a heavy-metal magician... I'd so buy a ticket for that! (I loved Mario and Jenny last year, but they dropped the ball in the SF.)

Michael Grimm - My favorite among the singers this season, and my wife's overall favorite. He could win this thing (he's better than Eli Mattson and Kevin Skinner put together). Personally, I hope the final two are Michael and Fighting Gravity (with FG winning). And he really does look a lot more like a professional singer than he did at the audition.

Well, as usual, they put the ones with the most potential at the end of the show, with the exception of one fan favorite that appeared in the first half. Picking four from this group is quite tough. Obviously Alice and Michael will go in, and Antonio has got the best shot among the non-singers. Which means the fourth will be once of the three dance groups that weren't ambiguously gay cheerleaders. If the judges have to choose between Wreckless and AscenDance... God, that will be tough!

Definitely In: Alice Tan Ridley, Michael Grimm

Has a Good Shot: AscenDance, Antonio Restivo

Maybe, Just Maybe: Wreckless, Mona Sampath Dance Co.

Outside Chance: Hannibal Means, Lil Chris

Probably Not: Iron Horse, The Strong Man

Hell No: Dance SF, Ronith
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Geezer »

Cheer SF - I felt like I was watching Bring it On. Nothing new or special. Why were they put straight through?

Alice Tan Ridley - Great performance. Can't believe she is Precious' mom with that story! Agree, she is going through.

Mona Sampath Dance Co. - Didn't appeal to me even a little bit. Send them home.

Iron Horse - Forgettable

Strong Man - This is where we disagree. Sure he's a bit passive and that could use a little work, but its not that bad, and he has one of the most IMPRESSIVE acts of anyone on the show. This could certainly be a Vegas show! Did you see how many people it took to move the car back??? I have loved this guy from the audition, and hope he goes through.

Ronith - I don't even know what to say about Ronith. Seriously he leaves me speechless. Impossible to describe.

Hannibal Means - I hated that he got through. I don't want him to go past this stage, but this is definitely the best performance from him. The Lion King certainly suited him better than his past auditions.

Wreckless - Eh, I was kinda freaked out by the costumes and dance doesn't do much for me.

Lil Chris - This kid can really sing. He's certainly talented, but I wouldn't quite put him in the top 4 from this group. Hope he keeps it up, because he could get there.

AscenDance - Ehhhhh I'm on the fence. Its cool, but I don't know how long I can watch this for? Its not THAT captivating. Can I watch this for an hour? Or even a half an hour? I think maybe, but they would need a HUGE wall with about 20 people doing it at once to reach their full potential. I don't think I'd put them through based on what I saw.

Antonio Restivo - Fantastic! So glad he got through and I can't see him not moving on. Loved the act.

Michael Grimm - I love him, but I HATED the change in look. He NEEDS to be rough around the edges, screw that professional looking crap. Be who you are kid! It works with your back story and makes me connect with you more. He bears an almost scary resemblance to Heath Ledger too, especially with the hat on. I love him, great performance, he will go through, I just want him to get his old look back.

My top 4 are Strong Man, Grimm, Restivo and Precious' Mom, with Lil Chris and AscenDance also being good and I wouldn't hate it if they made it.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Damn Shryke, you NAILED it this week.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, not quite. I didn't think AscenDance was going to get more votes than Antonio, but still, I figured either one of them would get the nod over Wreckless. Both of them make a better "show". Still, I'm sorry to see Wreckless go, and I hope someone somewhere gives them a break.

I wonder, now, just how many dance acts still have a shot at the SFs. Easily the most talented crew from the auditions is the Strikers All Stars, and I'm looking forward to their next routine. The Belly Dancing Duo may cause enough erections to get through. And the two ballroom-dancing kids (Anna & Patryk) have a shot if they nail it. Someone has to make it besides Future Funk.

For the others acts we haven't seen yet, I'm also looking forward to Prince Poppycock, Haspop, Polina Volchek and ArcAttack. I'm also mildly curious to see what Doogie Horner, CJ Dippa, Murray Sawchuck, Rudy Maccagi, Debra Romer, Taylor Mathews and Jeremy Vanschoonhoven do. The rest I have little or no reason to care about. My wife adores Luigi Seno (because he's Filipino, of course), but I'm not sold on him yet. (Don't tell her.)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay, Week 3 of the QFs.

South Philly Vikings - Barely remember them from the auditions, and then they got passed straight through. Why, I wonder. Looked like a Comic-Con dancers to me. Didn't care for them. Have you noticed that they always put a large group with little or no hope of moving on first?

CJ Dippa - I'm not a fan of rap, but this kid is terrific at 12. People will vote for him as long as he doesn't get too big for his britches. And we need more youth in the SFs, that much is clear.

Harmonica Pierre - I like the guy, but he's in the same class as Hannibal Means... kudos to the guy for getting this far, but this is as far as he goes. On the bright side: probably the best version of that damn Train song I've heard yet.

Polina Volchek - I was actually looking forward to seeing her again, but I was quite disappointed tonight. She was awesome in her audition, but this was nothing more than a rhythmic gymnastics routine. Nothing spectacular.

The Strange Familiar - I love this group's name, and the lead singer has a spectacular voice. But there's just not much "wow" for me when you cover Cyndi Lauper. They are my sentimental favorite, like AscenDance last week.

Haspop - I love this guy. His moves are SICK. He needs to move on.

Luigi - He's Filipino, so my wife loves him. But the judges we're right, he's just not good enough right now.

Chipps Cooney - And I thought it couldn't get worse than Ronith. Boy was I wrong.

Kaya and Sadie - That was a few too many close-ups for a family show, but damn they're hot. Glad the wife was out of the room for their performance. Don't know if it's a Vegas show in the making, but holy shit.

Jeremy Vanschoonhoven - I wouldn't have thought this kid had a chance at advancing past the QFs, but now I'm not so sure. Damn, he's got guts! I am really pulling for him.

Debra Romer - Easily the best singer of the night. She didn't make the mistake that Strange Familiar did, which is song choice. Plus going 11th will help her get votes. I personally love her voice.

Studio One Young Beast Society - Well, they got the pimp spot, that that's usually a sure bet that they're moving on. Plus, they got praise from the judges and the audience. I'd say they're shoe-ins.

So I'm torn. I think the ones getting in on votes will be Haspop, SOYBS and Debra Romer. Which means 4th and 5th will be either CJ Dippa, Kaya and Sadie and Jeremy Vanschoonhoven. I hope they put Jeremy through if it comes to that. He deserves it.

Definitely In: Haspop, Studio One Young Beast Society

Has a Good Shot: CJ Dippa, Kaya and Sadie, Debra Romer

Maybe, Just Maybe: Jeremy Vanschoonhoven

Outside Chance: Harmonica Pierre, The Strange Familiar

Probably Not: Polina Volchek, Luigi

Hell No: South Philly Vikings, Chipps Cooney

So, one more week of QFs to go. Which means that, of all the acts we haven't seen yet, the favorites to move on next week are probably ArcAttack, Taylor Mathews and Strikers All Stars. Wild cards are Anna & Patryk (kid ballroom dancers), Rudy Macaggi (acrobat) and Murray Sawchuk (magician). Mary Ellen and Doogie Horner will probably bomb.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

So, one of the bands I saw (who were unknown to me and most other folks) apparently has their backup dancers competing on AGT this week, but by the names and descriptions you guys are giving I can't figure out who the heck they would be...
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

South Philly Vikings - Agreed, kinda cool novelty, but no shot because not very memorable

CJ Dippa - Can't stand this kid. Hate with a passion. He is just rehashing everything he's heard other rappers say, and he's 12, so it means even less than when people who may have had actual life experiences say it. Please kick him off America. His mother should whoop his ass.

Harmonica Pierre - I loved his performance, which was surprising because I didn't think he belonged in the top 48. No chance to get through.

Polina Volchek - I loved it, was very hot, but the judges doomed her.

The Strange Familiar - They should get the least amount of votes. Nothing special at all. Wrong competition.

Haspop - Was up in the air before, but last night, he convinced me! Great story, great act, I think he goes through.

Luigi - Just didn't bring it. Was better before. He's long gone from the competition.

Chipps Cooney - I actually LOVED IT. I was cracking up. He has no chance, but damn, I thought it was hilarious.

Kaya and Sadie - They are NOT HOT. Especially one of them. She looks like she has a plastic face. The other is ok. Their bodies aren't even good. If you belly dance for a living, you shouldn't have a stomach. Kick em.

Jeremy Vanschoonhoven - BEST OF THE NIGHT. the only automatic for me. I just wonder where he goes next.

Debra Romer - I loved her before, but her performance was confusing to me. The judges loved her, but my GF and I thought she sounded completely out of tune. Maybe it was the tv. I liked her more vulnarable side better than the confident one. I'm with Piers. However, I think she moves on.

Studio One Young Beast Society - I think they become one of, if not the only, dance crew in the semis. That roll over the whole crew was AWESOME.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

So Debra, Haspop and SOYBS move through on votes, and the judges unanimously put Jeremy through over the belly dancers. Good for them. This almost redeems them for sending home Jonathan Burkin, the 19-year-old baton-twirling phenom, in favor of a barely-adequate Elvis impersonator two years ago.

And I think there will be one more dance crew in the Semis. The Strikers All Stars will probably get the pimp spot next week just to make sure.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay, tonight it is the fourth (but possibly not the last... I think the YouTube audition winners perform next week) week of QFs.

If we've learned anything, it's that any act going in the first half has their work cut out for them, while any act going in the last three has the best overall chance. But honestly, the judges were right... this was by far the best overall show by a mile.

Da Maniacs - And for the fourth straight week, they start off with a large group with no real shot at the next round. I wish the judges would explain why they let some of these acts bypass Vegas and go straight to Hollywood, only so Piers can just buzz them relentlessly. I got nothing against them, they can actually dance pretty well for a bunch of old fat guys, but again, why did they get a free pass?

Nu Covenant - Wasn't that wild about these guys before. Now I'm sure.

Anna & Patryk - They are terrific dancers and great kids, but their early position and lack of a feasible transition to a Vegas show may spell the end for them.

Lindsey Stirling - I'd probably like her more if she's gotten more than thirty total seconds of airtime in the auditions/Vegas week. Another moderately talented musician who just isn't good enough for the SFs.

Doogie Horner - I've seen this guy on YouTube, and he definitely has his moments. It went a lot better for him tonight, but I don't think it will be enough. He just doesn't have the charm (or the high level of humor) as Grandma Lee.

Rudi Macaggi - This guy seriously impresses me. He's a showman, he's a truly gifted acrobat, and there's always that element of danger with him. I would hate for him not to make it to the next round.

Taylor Matthews - He's a good kid with a great voice, but Nate Kenyon's already through to the SFs. Honestly, I find him a little bland compared to most of the other male singers. He's got undeniable appeal, though.

Mary Ellen - Yeah, she sucks. But at least she's not as soul-cringingly horrible as Ronith or Chipps Cooney.

ArcAttack - As far as spectacle goes, no one else even comes close, not even Fighting Gravity. FG's just slightly more entertaining, though. No way they're not moving on.

Prince Poppycock - My wife and I both love this guy's voice. And I want him to move on, but I can't help but think that his effeminate nature might put some people off (not to mention the fact that a lot of people don't like clowns either).

Murray (Sawchuck) - Antonio Restivo already went through, so is there room for two illusionists? I would say yes. He pulled off his trick PERFECTLY. That plus going eleventh should be enough.

Strikers All Stars - They weren't as good as in the audition, but I think they'll make it through regardless. No one's gone twelfth and not made it through. Besides, you have to figure that there will be more than one dance crew in the SFs.

Definitely In: ArcAttack

Has a Good Shot: Taylor Matthews, Murray, Strikers All Stars

Maybe, Just Maybe: Rudi Macaggi, Prince Poppycock

Outside Chance: Anna & Patryk, Doogie Horner

Probably Not: Da Maniacs, Lindsey Stirling

Hell No: Nu Covenant, Mary Ellen

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Absolutely the best week so far. There are probably 6 acts that could get through and I wouldn't be disappointed in the results, just disappointed that not all of them can go through.

Da Maniacs - They had no chance from the moment they took the stage. Fun, but not a Vegas Show.

Nu Covenant - Just not one of the better singing acts of the competition. Did nothing to stand out.

Anna & Patryk - They are nothing but a REALLY good dance recital. Despite what Piers and Sharron said, that is not a headlining show. Very talented, not good enough for this show.

Lindsey Stirling - Completely original, no doubt about it, and damn cute too, but not all that entertaining for me.

Doogie Horner - I really like this guy, but like Howie said repeatedly, 90 seconds is just not enough for a comedian. You need to be able to do like a 5-10 minute set to really kill, and thats unfortunate, because this guy WAS funny.

Rudi Macaggi - I almost jumped out of my freaking chair and had a heart attack! That was so damn impressive. I want to see more more more! A must for me!

Taylor Matthews - Like with the girl last week, I totally disagreed with the judges regarding this performance. I thought that he OWNED IT last night. I thought it was the best musical performance we have seen thus far, and I really like the kid, but the stupid judges may have doomed him in a group like this.

Mary Ellen - Gonna have to disagree with you on this. She was the worst contestant in this show, and should have been X'd 15 seconds into her audition and never seen again.

ArcAttack - Eh, I dunno. I don't think it translates to tv as well as you do. Its cool, but it gets old fast. I think they go through, but I don't get that sense of danger I do with Rudi Macagi or the bike guy. So its really just playing classic rock songs around a Tesla Coil. Its cool for a song or two, but unless they start doing more, they aren't going to win. I don't even know If I'd put them in my personal top 4 this week.

Prince Poppycock - Terrific voice and excellent showmanship! I don't know if middle America will vote him through though. Unfortunate because he screams of a Vegas act. Also unfortunate he was put in such a tough group.

Murray (Sawchuck) - What a fantastic magic trick. This guy has as much skill as any magician I have ever seen. I don't know how they do it, but he does it really well. I think he has to go on.

Strikers All Stars - Again I am disagreeing, with you and the judges. I think this was THE BEST DANCE CREW PERFORMANCE I HAVE SEEN SO FAR. BY FAR. I was wowed several times during their show (as opposed to once during Studio One). Loved it, and I don't tend to even like dance crews one bit. Judges may have doomed them as well in this group.

Definitely In: Nobody, it is wide open.

Has a Good Shot: ArcAttack, Murray, Rudi Macaggi, Strikers All Stars, Taylor Matthews

Maybe, Just Maybe: Prince Poppycock

Outside Chance: Anna & Patryk

Probably Not: Doogie Horner

Hell No: Da Maniacs, Lindsey Stirling, Nu Covenant, Mary Ellen

Personally, my top four of the night were Rudi Macaggi, Taylor Matthews, Murray and Strikers All Stars, but I also think ArcAttack and Prince Poppycock are great, which is why this was the best week.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I'm about to be really disappointed.... Rudi is going home, I can feel it.

Edit: That sucked. At least ArcAttack beat out the kids. Still wish Rudi went on.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I am actually astounded that ArcAttack was beaten in viewer votes by both Taylor Matthews and Prince Poppycock. Still, I too am glad that they were put through over Anna & Patryk. I am really sad to see Rudi go, and I can't help but wonder how the judges would have voted if it had been ArcAttack vs. Rudi.

I am so happy for Murray Sawchuck. The guy brought it big time last night.

And Strikers All Stars becomes the first act to get the pimp spot and not move on. How about that.

So next week are the YouTube acts, which should be interesting, because I have no freakin' clue who any of them are. I've been following everyone on the show for the last two months, and these acts are going to have to be spectacular to have a shot in the SFs.

One question remains... after the Top Four YouTube acts are revealed, that will officially make 20 acts in the SFs. Will they leave it at that number, or will they give four acts another shot to make it an even 24?

Hypothetically, Geez, if you could pick four eliminated acts to get one final crack at the Finals, who would you choose?

For me, it would be:

Rudi Macaggi
Doogie Horner
Harmonica Pierre
One of the following eliminated dance crews: RNG, Wreckless or Strikers All Stars

How about you?

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Definitely Rudi Macaggi, Strong Man, and Strikers All Stars. After that its a toss up between Polina Volchick and Doogie Horner.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Not sure what I was expecting on YouTube night.

It's a novel idea, to be sure, but I figured any act lucky enough to make it to the big stage had a major obstacle to overcome. Namely, the sixteen acts that have already made it through have pretty much endeared themselves to a large portion of the viewing audience. I'm not sure how many watchers of AGT actually took part in the voting process on the Internet, but I knew absolutely nothing about any of them going in.

My biggest question was, "Yeah, four of them will make it to the semi-finals. But do any of them, ANY of them, have a very real shot at the finals?" Well, I think that, in one case, the answer to that question is a big YES.

PLUtonic - Nothing against them, they were mildly entertaining. Don't know if I could listen to them for more than a few minutes, though.

Dylan Plummer - It's a kid jumping rope. No matter how good he is at it, I can't ditch the "so what" factor.

Pup - Hey look! It's a dog NOT playing the accordion! Seriously, though, I felt sorry for that dog. It must have been terrified.

Cam Hodges - On any other night, he would have been in the middle of the pack. Tonight, though, he's got a good chance at moving on. I don't give him much hope when stacked against Michael Grimm, Nate Kenyon or Taylor Matthews, though.

Ryan Rodriguez - Didn't get this guy at ALL. Sharon was right, he needs to join a crew or something.

Austin Anderson - Not funny in the least. Next!

Booker Forte - If you're going to dance by yourself, you'd better be awesome. This was was just okay.

Pizza Patt - I worked for Domino's for years, so I won't bag on this guy too much. He made it as exciting as he possibly could, but it's nothing more than a novelty. How would you even market this guy?

Kristina Young - She's pretty, and I liked her look and outfit, but she needs to work on her stage presence.

Maestro Alexander Bui - Kid's got hella talent, but classical piano just doesn't scream "Vegas" to me.

Dan Sperry - Loved this guy. He's got that Marilyn Manson meets Criss Angel vibe. The way Howie freaked out was awesome, but not nearly as much as Sharon getting an uncontrollable giggle fit.

Jackie Evancho - Holy SHIT. I could not believe that voice was coming out of this tiny little girl. I can see why she got the most votes. She's a shoe-in for the finals, and she could sneak up and win this whole thing.

Definitely In: Jackie Evancho

Has a Good Shot: Cam Hodges, Dan Sperry

Maybe, Just Maybe: PLUtonic, Maestro Alexander Bui, Kristina Young

Outside Chance: Dylan Plummer

Probably Not: Ryan Rodriguez, Booker Forte, Pizza Patt

Hell No: Pup, Austin Anderson

So what will they do next week? My guess is, they'll have a "Wild Card" show like they did last season. They'll bring back twelve acts that probably got cut in Vegas, like Drew Stevyns and The Beale Street Flippers last year. And if that's the case, I am hoping they'll give New Directions Choir and Carlos Aponte another chance.

Then again, maybe they'll just go with 20 semifinalists. We'll see tomorrow.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

So Jackie Evancho, Maestro Alexander Bui, Dan Sperry and Kristina Young move on.

And, as anticipated, next week the 24 SFs will be rounded out by a wild card show.

Bad news first: Strikers All Stars, Wreckless, Strong Man and Polina Volchek will not be performing. Neither will New Directions Choir or Carlos Aponte.

Good news: Rudy Macaggi, Doggie Horner, Harmonica Pierre and RNG will be.

Here is the complete list:

Michael Grasso - So glad they brought him back! He was my favorite among the Audition magicians.
Connor Doran - The epileptic kite-flying teen. I love what he does, but it's not a Vegas show.
Swing Shift Side Show - Freakishly disturbing. Maybe too much so.
Kruti Dance Academy - Indian dance groups are 0-2. Don't see that changing.
Michael Lepari & Ashleigh Dejon - The acrobatic couple that messed up in Vegas swinging on the silk drape-things. They'll need to do better.
The Hot Shot Tap Dancers - I give this group virtually no chance to move on.
RNG - I'm happy they're back, but can they really up their game past "school recital" level?
CJ Dippa - Not surprised he's back.
Harmonica Pierre - I'm actually quite pleased they're giving this guy a second crack. He's very likable.
Anna and Patryk - Not surprised about this either, but it's not a Vegas show.
Doogie Horner - He's grown on me.
Rudy Macaggi - I think we can both agree that this guy deserves another shot.

Who I hope moves on: Michael Grasso, Doogie Horner, and Rudy Macaggi. There are only three under-18 acts in right now (Jackie, Future Funk, Alexander Bui), so I hope that the fourth entrant is a kid act. I'm rooting for RNG, if for no other reasons than there should be more than one dance crew in the SFs.