America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Geezer »

didn't get to watch either of the past two nights. Apparently I didn't miss TOO much. I was stuck at work unfortunately. Hope I get to catch up tonight if they are online.

Going to Saratoga for the weekend, Can't wait!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Alright, getting caught up Shrykey:

PLUtonic - Honestly after watching the rest of the acts, they were one of the best. Quite funny I thought. But they didn't stand a chance.

Dylan Plummer - "It's a kid jumping rope. No matter how good he is at it, I can't ditch the "so what" factor." Exactly what I thought.

Pup - I really don't think this would have been good even if it didn't fail miserably.

Cam Hodges - I hate his "type" of voice. Not good at all.

Ryan Rodriguez - Agree with you and Sharon and the rest of the judges. Not great.

Austin Anderson - His material SUCKED. If you only have 90 seconds, you have to bring your best material, the stuff that just KILLS audiences. And if this is his best, he is not very good at all.

Booker Forte - He's a poor man's Haspop. It's all been done before.

Pizza Patt - Well I work for them now, and I thought it was pretty damn cool, but they have their own contests for this, not something you would go see in Vegas.

Kristina Young - Eh, I thought she kinda sucked. Not impressed by the voice at all and she's not that pretty.

Maestro Alexander Bui - He's really good, but I don't see him going far. Its not a great act for Vegas. Got tons of talent, but its not exciting. Likeable kid at least.

Dan Sperry - Loved it. So cool. Can't wait to see where this guy takes his act next. Loved the music with the act. Loved it all.

Jackie Evancho - HOW DOES SHE DO THAT???? It sounds like the sound is being pumped it. It is absolutely astonishing that that stuff came out of this girl. Like.... how does she do it???? She's either going to go VERY far in this competition, or we are going to have quite the lip syncing controversy. She could star in any opera anywhere in the world, RIGHT NOW. Some people are just born to be stars. This girl is one of them. I think Prince Poppycock just shit his pants.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Geezer wrote: Jackie Evancho - HOW DOES SHE DO THAT???? It sounds like the sound is being pumped it. It is absolutely astonishing that that stuff came out of this girl. Like.... how does she do it???? She's either going to go VERY far in this competition, or we are going to have quite the lip syncing controversy. She could star in any opera anywhere in the world, RIGHT NOW. Some people are just born to be stars. This girl is one of them. I think Prince Poppycock just shit his pants.
Not just Prince Poppycock. I think everyone in the SFs just realized that they are now chasing Jackie. Before Tuesday night, I would have pegged the final two to be Fighting Gravity and Michael Grimm. Now, I think it's going to be FG and Jackie. I really, REALLY hope that FG prevails and gets a Vegas show, and Jackie gets a big fat record deal. Everybody wins.

And as for the lip-synching controversy, Howie said flat-out that lip-synching is not permitted on the show, and even asked Jackie to sing a few notes on the fly, which she did. Which was a great thing to do, so hopefully we can nip any controversy in the bud.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Wild-Card Show.

I'll just say that I had a real problem with Piers' vendetta in the first half of the show by relentlessly buzzing every act that wasn't his. I thought it was pretty funny when Howie buzzed Harmonica Pierre before he even started just to even the score. Piers can justify his opinion all he wants, but he really can be a prick some times.

Kruti Dance Academy - Being a fan of SYTYCD, I've grown to like Bollywood dancing. And some of those girls were very pretty. I just don't think it's the right fit for this show.

Rudi Macaggi - I, too, was quite disappointed. His stunt was impressive, but I've seen it before, and it's a lot less exciting than his last stunt. Too bad.

CJ Dippa - This kid has probably got a great future in the biz, but he needs a lot of polish.

RNG - Loved the attitude, much improved from last time. Don't think it will be enough.

Harmonica Pierre - You can't not like the guy, but I think he'll be the bridesmaid once again.

Michael Grasso - This guy ROCKED it! Going into Vegas week, Michael was easily my favorite magician, but he underwhelmed in Vegas and got cut. He came back with a vengeance tonight. Good for him.

Hot Shot Tap Dancers - Just don't like tap. Don't even know why Howie brought them back.

Doogie Horner - I am so pulling for this guy. His joke about the angels and the harps had me rolling on the floor laughing.

Connor Doran - He's a good kid, and there is something entrancing about what he does. Plus, he's got the sympathy vote for his condition...

Anna & Patryk - Still on the fence with these two. They are hella talented, and no doubt they'll be world-class dancers by the time they're 18, but I still maintain this is the wrong show for them.

Michael Lipari & Ashleigh Dejon - Wouldn't have thought these guys had a chance, but that little OMG moment in the middle was an excellent touch. Shocked everyone present, including yours truly and my wife.

SwingShift Side Show - I appreciate the novelty of carnival freak-show acts, but they ALREADY live in Vegas! Why do they need to be here?

Definitely In: Michael Grasso

Has a Good Shot: Anna & Patryk, Michael Lipari & Ashleigh Dejon

Maybe, Just Maybe: Harmonica Pierre, Doogie Horner, Connor Doran

Outside Chance: CJ Dippa, RNG

Probably Not: Kruti Dance Academy, Rudi Macaggi

Hell No: Hot Shot Tap Dancers, SwingShift Side Show

Geez, I hope you appreciate what a turnaround this season has been. There are singers, of course, but consider that in the last three seasons combined, only a couple of magicians made it past the QFs. This season, we have Murray, Antonio Restivo, Dan Sperry and (presumably) Michael Grasso. Plus, this season has seen a dramatic downturn in dancers and dance crews getting through. Last year, you had the Fab Five, Paradizo Dance, Arcadian Broad, Erik and Rickie, Hairo Torres and FootworKINGz in the SFs. This season, only Studio One Young Beast Society, Haspop and Future Funk have made it through (unless Anna & Patryk do too). Of those, I think only Haspop has a shot at the Top 10.

Last year, six of the top 10 were singers. I don't think that number will be as high this year. The ones with the best chance are Alice Tan Ridley, Michael Grimm and Jackie Evancho, though Debra Romer, Nate Kenyon and Taylor Mathews have a chance too.

This has been the year for non-singers and non-traditional-dance groups: you have the aforementioned magicians/illusionists, but you've also had Fighting Gravity, ArcAttack, Jeremy Vanschoonhoven and AscenDance (definitely NOT traditional). It's been an entertaining season, to be sure. The variety has been awesome.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Kruti Dance Academy - Doesn't appeal to me at all.

Rudi Macaggi - He wasn't as good, but I still gave him my ten votes. I like him so much and he is a GREAT showman. The anticipation he creates is great. The stunt wasn't as good as last time, but I already know he is capable of so much more that I didn't care.

CJ Dippa - I still can't stand him. Probably my least favorite contestant of the whole show.

RNG - Also don't think it was enough. The dance crews haven't been too popular and what made them special? Nothing that I could see.

Harmonica Pierre - Love the character, love the personality, wasn't a huge fan of the performance. His last one was better.

Michael Grasso - How the fuck does he do that?????? They did a full panoramic shot! Ugh I wish I could figure out magic sometimes, but then it wouldn't be so impressive. He has a spot. As a side thought though, I don't know how these magicians will fair when stacked up against each other, or the singers for that matter. So far they have done a good job of separating them, but when they put them all together in the same night, its going to be very hard to choose when they are doing very similar things. Gotta SERIOUSLY step up their game.

Hot Shot Tap Dancers - Completely boring.

Doogie Horner - He's funny, but... I dunno. I laughed, he was good, but 90 seconds just isn't enough to get a flow going. It isn't the right competition. He should be on Last Comic Standing.

Connor Doran - I'm pulling for him. My gf has epilepsy so I kinda feel a personal connection with him, and what he does is completely mesmerizing. I don't think he gets through, but I'd like to see it. Either way, he is certainly having the experience of a lifetime. Its not about the money for him, its about his craft, he is already a winner.

Anna & Patryk - They are extremely talented, but something about them just bugs me. They aren't fun like future funk, they just seem like little overachievers.

Michael Lipari & Ashleigh Dejon - They killed it. I can't see them not getting a spot.

SwingShift Side Show - Just too creepy for me. And I don't think they are all that talented, its all been done before.

I don't know where America will lean with this one. I think Grasso and The Swingers are shoe-ins, but beyond that it is completely open. Other than a couple that I think have no shot, there are probably 6-7 acts for those two spots. Might come down to personality over talent, in which case I think Rudi and Connor have a good shot. I just hope America hates CJ Dippa as much as I do. RNG might have a good shot simply because they almost got through the last time. Same with Anna and Patryk. Will be very interesting, I think its easily the toughest call.

If the change you described hadn't happened Shryke, I'd probably have abandoned the show by now. I'm glad it has gone this direction.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

So the Semifinal field is complete.

Michael Grasso, Connor Doran and Anna & Patryk get through on votes, and the judges (Howie & Sharon) choose Michael & Ashleigh over Harmonica Pierre (Piers). I feel sorry for Rudi and Doogie, but I'm satisfied with the result.

BTW, Geez, did you know that last night's show was the first time in five seasons that there was NOT ONE singer in the field?

So, the SFs break down as follows:

Male Singers: Michael Grimm, Nathaniel Kenyon, Taylor Matthews, Prince Poppycock
Female Singers: Alice Tan Ridley, Debra Romer, Kristina Young, Jackie Evancho, Christina & Ali
Musicians: Maestro Alexander Bui
Dancers (traditional): Future Funk, Haspop, Studio One Young Beast Society, Anna & Patryk
Dancers (non-traditional): AscenDance, Michael Lipari & Ashleigh Dejon
Magicians: Antonio Restivo, Dan Sperry, Murray Sawchuck, Michael Grasso
Performance Artists: Fighting Gravity, ArcAttack, Connor Doran
Danger Acts: Jeremy Vanschoonhoven

What a great field. Just terrific.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here is how the SFs will be broken down. I'm pretty sure they said the finals would be a Top 10, not a Top 12, unless they do what they did last year when the judges couldn't decide between Voices of Glory and the Fab Five, so they just sent them both through. It could be that the top five vote-getters get through, or the top four with the judges picking between #5 and #6.

Next week:

Michael Grimm
Taylor Matthews
Prince Poppycock
Kristina Young
Christina & Ali
Future Funk
Anna & Patryk
AscenDance
Antonio Restivo
Dan Sperry
ArcAttack
Connor Doran

My hopes: Michael Grimm, Antonio Restivo, AscenDance, Prince Poppycock, and either ArcAttack or Connor Doran

The following week:

Nathaniel Kenyon
Alice Tan Ridley
Debra Romer
Jackie Evancho
Maestro Alexander Bui
Haspop
Studio One Young Beast Society
Michael Lipari & Ashleigh Dejon
Murray Sawchuck
Michael Grasso
Fighting Gravity
Jeremy Vanschoonhoven

My hopes: Fighting Gravity, Jackie Evancho, Michael Grasso, Alice Tan Ridley, and either Haspop, Murray Sawchuck or Jeremy S.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Next week:

Michael Grimm
Taylor Matthews
Prince Poppycock
Kristina Young
Christina & Ali
Future Funk
Anna & Patryk
AscenDance
Antonio Restivo
Dan Sperry
ArcAttack
Connor Doran

My hopes: Its easier to list who I wouldn't like to see go on, and that is Kristina Young, Anna & Patryk, Future Funk and Ascendance. I'd be perfectly happy with any of the other 8, but my prediction goes to Grimm, Matthews, Antonio Restivo, Dan Sperry and ArcAttack.

The following week:

Nathaniel Kenyon
Alice Tan Ridley
Debra Romer
Jackie Evancho
Maestro Alexander Bui
Haspop
Studio One Young Beast Society
Michael Lipari & Ashleigh Dejon
Murray Sawchuck
Michael Grasso
Fighting Gravity
Jeremy Vanschoonhoven

Who I don't want: Alice Tan Ridley, Maestro Alexander, Studio One, Michael Lipari & Ashleigh Dejon. the other 7 would all be fine with me, but here are my predictions: Kenyon, Jackie, Murray, Grasso and Fighting Gravity.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SEMIFINAL #1

Anna & Patryk - Same as before: I'm very impressed by their ability, but is it enough? They've skirted by before, and who knows, they may do it again.

Christina & Ali - They're a great story and inspirational and all that, and I have nothing against them, but I think I liked their previous performances better than I liked this one. Good, but not outstanding.

Antonio Restivo - I really like this guy. He's not as good a magician as Michael Grasso, but he more than makes up for that with stage presence and sheer balls-out pyromania. He belongs in Vegas.

Future Funk (X - Piers) - Piers X'ed the epitome of cuteness? Sacrilege! Seriously, though, I think the "awww" factor has passed. They're fabulous for their age, but they're not ready for their own show.

Taylor Mathews - He's quite good, and he's got a nice clean-cut image that is very appealing. I think it'll be tough for him to advance, though, based on this performance.

Connor Doran (X - Piers) - America can feel good that he's gotten this far; he's a good kid. But kite-flying isn't an act that he can add a lot of bells and whistles to. It's awesome that he made it to the SFs, but he's made his statement, and now it's time for him to go home.

Dan Sperry (X - Piers) - His trick was cool if unconvincing, but he's not on the level of Michael, Antonio or Murray.

Kristina Young (X - all three) - Well, she was the biggest longshot of the 24 to advance beyond the SFs. But to reinvent "Poker Face"? Seriously?! Three X's later (harsh!), back to South Dakota. Sorry, girl. At least Daddy was there to see her flop.

ArcAttack - What these guys have used pure science to create is remarkable. I wasn't convinced that there was a marketable act here on the level of, say, Fighting Gravity, but now I'm convinced. If they can find a way to get some variation in their act, they could actually contend.

Michael Grimm - Major props. Coming through strep throat, possibly food poisoning, to give a performance like that! Easily the best singer of the night. And to do the Tom Jones song from The Full Monty, a song I love, was a terrific choice.

AscenDance (X - Piers) - The judges keep asking for bigger and better, but really, on the budget that these guys have, how much bigger can they get in two weeks? The stage is only so big! If they had their own show, they could afford a huger wall and more dancers, but for this show, I think they've reached the end of their rope. Too bad, they're one of my sentimental favorites.

Prince Poppycock - Wow. Was not expecting the opera guy to break into "Bohemian Rhapsody". The sheery lunacy of it all! You can't help but smile. The judges loved him, the crowd gave him a standing O. Plus he went last. There's no way he's not getting through.

Definitely In: Michael Grimm, Prince Poppycock

Has a Very Good Shot: Antonio Restivo, ArcAttack

Maybe, Just Maybe: Anna & Patryk, Taylor Mathews, Christina & Ali

Outside Chance: Future Funk, AscenDance

Probably Not: Connor Doran, Dan Sperry

Hell No: Kristina Young

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

The Tom Jones song from The Full Monty was originally the Joe Cocker song from 9 1/2 Weeks.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Anna & Patryk - Actually thought this was there best performance. They are starting to grow on me. I could see them advancing.

Christina & Ali - I don't care what anyone says, they could be my favorites in this whole contest. I love these girls. Cute, talented, and have a great story. I want to see more. They just make me smile.

Antonio Restivo - I thought his trick wasn't up to par. With the level of magical talent in this competition with Murray and Grasso, it needs to be spot on. He could have easily slipped out a back door, it didn't leave me saying "How the FUCK did he do that???" like the aforementioned magicians' tricks have done.

Future Funk (X - Piers) - Yeah seriously Piers you can't X Future Funk! But I also agree, cute can't win the competition. They totally should stick together, keep at it, and get their own sitcom

Taylor Mathews - I love him, he has all the talent to be a pop star, and he should definitely go on.

Connor Doran (X - Piers) - Agreed, love that he got this far, but he can't do anything else with this act.

Dan Sperry (X - Piers) - Uggh this was THE most frustrating act of the entire show. His first trick was AWESOME! and this was quite possibly the worst magic trick I have ever seen and wasn't even worthy of making it past the auditions, let alone the semi finals. I love his act and personality, but seriously??? You're trick is writing on Nick Cannon's arm while your "assistant" stands in the way? So stupid. He sucked, so frustrating.

Kristina Young (X - all three) - She sucked again. worst act to make it this far.

ArcAttack - Meh, it was better, but was it great? No. I bet everything the judges, well Howie, said is true about it being great live and not great on tv, because I still sense no danger and it still feels like a musical exhibit at the museum of Science.

Michael Grimm - Best singer of the night, maybe the competition, always awesome, loved that he went back to his look. He is fantastic.

AscenDance (X - Piers) - I'm officially out. They needed to be jumping over each other, doing 360 aerial tricks and grabbing on with one hand if they wanted to pull off an up-tempo style, they just didn't do it for me from the beginning and now, its even worse now. Just boring.

Prince Poppycock - I LOVED it!!!!!! I am so glad he pulled himself into a more mainstream act. The costume was fantastic. He needed this after Jackie Evancho's voice blew us all away. This guy can actually win this thing. He is BUILT for Vegas. He goes on.

Definitely In: Michael Grimm, Prince Poppycock

Has a Very Good Shot: Taylor Matthews

Maybe, Just Maybe: Antonio Restivo, Anna & Patryk, Christina & Ali, ArcAttack

Outside Chance: Future Funk

Probably Not: Connor Doran, Dan Sperry, AscenDance

Hell No: Kristina Young

I think those top 3 are in, and then its a wide open battle between the maybes for 2 spots. Could go to any two of them.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I'm very happy with the results! Pretty much exactly what I thought would happen, but very surprised it wasn't antonio and the girls at the end. Happpy with this though, very happy.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I don't know what was more disappointing: last night's show or the results.

One of the reasons that I love this show is the variety. It has been my staunch hope that this would be the year that someone who WASN'T a singer would actually have a chance to win. And lo, four of the five acts that make it into the Finals? Singers.

I'm actually very happy for Michael and Prince Poppycock. But Taylor and Christina & Ali were not at their pinnacle. The fact that neither ArcAttack NOR AscenDance NOR Antonio Restivo made it into the top HALF of votes just seems to prove that people love singers more than anything else.

Looking forward to next week: Jackie would have to screw up ROYALLY to not make it. If another singer makes it, I think Alice Tan Ridley has more chops than either Debra Romer or Nate Kenyon, although Nate could get the same voting block that Taylor did.

I am especially rooting for Fighting Gravity and Michael Grasso, as well as, to a lesser extent, Murray and Jeremy. I'd even take Haspop in the Top 10 if it added to the variety.

On another note, it was great to see Recycled Percussion, and knowing that they have their own show at the MGM Grand is awesome. They so deserve it.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Yeah but Shryke, you have to admit that the non-singing acts from last night didn't really stand up to the singing acts. I think it will be different in the next group. the two best magicians are in this group, as well as Fighting Gravity. I still think Jackie and Nate Kenyon also get in, but that is 3 out of 5 non-singers. As much as you like ArcAttack, I can't help but feel the rest of America just never saw what you saw there. Its an extravagant science experiment, not a show. Ascendance gets boring after seeing it for 90 seconds and Antono wasn't up to par with Murray and Grasso, and he really never was. People do love singers, but all of the singers that made it are very talented. You say Taylor wasn't up to snuff, but every time he sings I say that this kid is going to get his own record deal, because his voice fits the exact mold of every popular male pop singer out right now, which is why America loves him, on top of his personality. And the simple fact that Christina and Ali melt your heart every time they are on stage is a lot more of a draw to America than Antonio Restivo's fire blaring. The fact that they got through should show you that its not exactly about the singing. They would have gotten tons of votes no matter what their talent is, which is why any type of act can still win, this week was just loaded with singers, and good ones, vs the worst of the novelty acts.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I take your point. At this point I just wonder if Fighting Gravity or Michael Grasso even have a realistic shot at winning.