America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Geezer »

Well, its official, its just as generic and pointless as every other "talent show".

Good for Landau, he's awesome and he deserves success, but he was NOT the best act this season. America got it wrong, and will always get it wrong when it comes to non-singing acts.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I'm happy for Landau, but I'm amazed that Team iLuminate came in THIRD. Ironically, the same as Fighting Gravity.

In any case, I will be following any future developments that I hear about regarding all four finalists. I hope you'll let me know if you hear anything, and also let me know if you plan on seeing them live.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I am pretty positive they won't be touring this year. Which is a massive disappointment. Springer said they are only playing in Vegas, last year they announced the nationwide tour.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, Geez, we're about ready to start another season. Three questions that are first and foremost in my mind:

1. Will AGT without Piers Morgan be like Idol without Simon?
2. Can Howard Stern cut it as a judge?
3. Will this season's winner be anything OTHER than a male singer in his late 20's-to-late-30's?

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

1. I don't think so. Simon was a much more integral part. Even if it is, it's really all about the talent, as is Idol.

2. I can't WAIT to see Howard as a judge. Super excited and think he'll be fantastic.

3. Nope. Can't see that happening. Unless it's a female singer, maybe.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Yeah, I tend to agree with you on all counts, Geez.

About the only thing that might let some act like Fighting Gravity or Team iLuminate a chance to win is if the judges purposely only let singing acts in that aren't great, much like Amazing Race did a few years ago... on that show, they went like fifteen seasons without having an all-girl team win, so what they did was put incredibly strong female teams against weak coed and all-male teams, and heigh-ho, it happened.

Of course, that might be a little obvious... but I can dream.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Also, I have actually watched Idol this season since I moved in with my gf and she watches it, so that means I watch it. I called the top 5 flat out when it was the top 12. And I'm pissed Skylar got voted out. She was the best.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Just look at the winners of this show (AGT):

Season One - Bianca Ryan, an 11-year-old girl. Granted, the show was a LOT different back then. Regis was the host, the format was completely different, and the show was just stretching its legs. Biance had a great voice for her age, but she would never win now.

Season Two - Terry Fator, 41 (wow, was he really that old? I take back what I said before). Yes, technically, he's a comedian, a ventriloquist, an impressionist AND a singer. Probably the closest thing to a "variety" act that will ever win the show. And I doubt any other winner this show spawns will end up with a better post-AGT career.

Season Three - Neal E. Boyd, 32. Don't think his opera career ever really took off. He's performed for a few presidents, but he's back in his old job (insurance) and is apparently thinking for running for office in Missouri this year.

Season Four - Kevin Skinner, 35. Another "what the hell happened" story. He released one album that didn't even make it on the Billboard Country charts, and has done nothing since then. I was so rooting for Barbara Padilla that year.

Season Five - Michael Grimm, 30. Finally, somebody who actually did something with this career. His debut album actually charted (not high, but still), and he went on tour with Stevie Nicks.

Season Six - Landau Eugene Murphy Jr., 36. His first album also charted, peaking at #34 in its first week on Billboard's Album Chart. We'll see how well he does from here on out.

I've researched what I can and here are some of the (few) success stories from AGT regarding acts that DIDN'T win.

Jackie Evancho - my god, she's HUGE! She's toured the world, released THREE albums, sang at Rockefeller Center, made dozens of appearances on TV, and at the age of 12, is close to having her own empire. Just unbelievable.

Fighting Gravity - still attending VT, currently working on their show which is expected to launch this fall.

Recycled Percussion - they have been booked solidly in Vegas for a while now (wish I could have seen them on my recent trip to LV) and are heavily involved in the community.

Prince Poppycock - has continued to make random appearances. Don't know much beyond that.

Antonio Restivo - the heavy-metal magician has become involved in a show at the Excalibur in Vegas (which I attended), lending his expertise in pyrotechnics to make the show better. He is now a fixture there.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Remember the magician Murray? He has been on Pawn Stars as an expert on magic history. They called him in a couple of times when Houdini artifacts have been brought into the shop.

And it makes sense that Jackie is the most successful. The girl is by far the most talented act the show has ever seen. CRAZY that she was a Youtube act.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, I must say, just like you anticipated, Howard Stern is an awesome judge for this show. He's as tough as Piers without being such a tightass.

What I didn't like about this new format is that a lot of acts were moved through and we didn't even get a graphic on the screen showing their names. Wonder if that means they won't make it past Vegas.

Standouts from Monday:

William Close, 42, musician - I must say, he more than any other act intrigued the hell out of me. Much like The Kinetic King and Recycled Percussion, I don't envy the time it must take to set up and deconstruct the props they need for the act, but using the entire theater as an instrument? That was just amazing. I think, if he can jazz it up, he can make it to Top 20.

Elements Dance Cru, 12-18, clogging crew - I admired their spunk but I hated their outfits. Clogging is tough, and I loved how in synch they were. They could go Top 20 as well.

All Wheels Sports, stunt team - Cheerleading, trick biking AND trampolines together? Well, it's cool once, but twice? I think they'll make it past Vegas but not any further.

Amazing Elizabeth, around 7, aerial gymnast - She's adorable, and there is the danger factor, but there's really nowhere for this act to go.

Chris Levar, rapper - Fine, he can hold a tune. Don't think I like him. You probably love him, Geez, he's this season's Ron B.

Jorge and Alexa Narvaez, 25 and 7, singers - Some acts get by on cuteness alone, and this is one of them. Alexa is way cuter than she is talented, and dad is nothing without her. I doubt they'll make it to Top 20.

Ben Blaque, 33, crossbow - Guy looks like Tom Cruise and is a dead shot. Depending on how good the other danger acts are, he could make Top 20, but only if he can find a way to ramp it up.

Light Wire Theater, 25-43, glow-in-the-dark performers - Admit it... you just weren't as excited about this act, so soon after Team iLuminate, were you? It's basically the same act but with more theater than dancing. They could possibly go Top 10 (but no higher than 3rd, of course). I'm glad Howie mentioned FG and TiL.

Then there was the guy who put a live scorpion in his mouth. Big whoop. This was followed by the "ventriloquist" who put a mechanical prosthetic mouth on his pug. Just awful.

Stick and Move Dance Crew, dancers - I liked these guys. Doubt they'll hold up against larger crews, but good for them.

Loyalty Dance Crew, 14-23, dance crew - It's almost become cliche. Every season, there's one or two dance crews that come from bad neighborhoods, poverty, etc., and rise up to become a familial unit, only to find acceptance on the AGT stage and then they start bawling their eyes out. They were quite good, but I'll have to see more of their competition in order to gauge their chances.

And the pimp spot:

Maurice and Shanice Hayes, 62 and 18, singers - Awesome singing duo. Today really belonged to dads & daughters, didn't it? Maurice has a tremendous voice, and Shanice is totally gorgeous. I can only wonder if, if they progress in the competition, at some point Maurice will stand back and let Shanice take center stage, because I have a feeling that this is more about her than the duo. I could be wrong, though. Definite Top 5 potential.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here's some accompanying video for anyone else reading this thread that may not have watched the show:

William Close

Light Wire Theater

Loyalty Dance Crew

Maurice & Shanice Hayes

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Standouts from Monday:

William Close, 42, musician - This was REALLY cool and I wonder what he comes up with next.

Elements Dance Cru, 12-18, clogging crew - Liked, not loved.

All Wheels Sports, stunt team - didn't get to see enough at this stage.

Amazing Elizabeth, around 7, aerial gymnast - Her parents should be ashamed.

Chris Levar, rapper - Is this the guy who claimed that his rapping was "all freestyle"??? Yeah fucking right it was, you had months to write and memorize that, and it was so boring and all about the judges that none of it seemed improvised. Could have been written and rehearsed at any time.

Jorge and Alexa Narvaez, 25 and 7, singers - She is SO FREAKING ADORABLE. They were my favorite act of the night.

Ben Blaque, 33, crossbow - Agreed on all counts.

Light Wire Theater, 25-43, glow-in-the-dark performers - I'll go a step further... I was downright pissed off. It was SUCH a blatant rip-off of Team iLuminate that they should file a lawsuit. It's the exact same act. They are just trying to catapult off iLuminate's success. If there were no Team iLuminate, these people would not exist, and it infuriates me.

That poor dog. That poor scorpion.

Stick and Move Dance Crew, dancers - I don't remember them just based on name.

Loyalty Dance Crew, 14-23, dance crew - It is TOTALLY cliche at this point.

And the pimp spot:

Maurice and Shanice Hayes, 62 and 18, singers - They were good, I don't know if top 5 good, but we'll see from the rest of the season. We've a long way to go yet.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

And Howard is perfect for the show. And I find myself almost universally agreeing with him on every act.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Forgot to post the highlights from Tuesday (had to guess on the spelling for those whose names weren't shown):

BTW, I like they way they are now showing audience reaction shots more than they used to, but I would like it more if it wasn't the same four audience members every time.

David Garibaldi and his CMYK's, performance artists - I've seen acts that can whip up a work of art in under two minutes, but this was actually very cool. They won't make it past Top 20, but I give them credit for their originality.

Cristin Sandu, 17, balancing act - Kid's got guts. Am interested to see where he can go from there. Howie was right, though, it needs to develop quicker.

Lisa Clark Dancers, 14-18, dance crew - Another group of teens. They weren't bad, but I doubt they'll go far. Still, I don't think I've ever seen a group dance number choreographed to Mozart.

Jarrett & Raja, magician/musician - Intriguing mix of talents. Want to see more of them.

Mika Gregoria, 14, singer - Always one or two mid-teen female singers with powerful voices. She's got great pipes, she's cute, and she could make Top 10 if progresses and doesn't crack.

Mike Price, juggler - Whoopee. Another juggler. Next.

Dave Burleigh, 43, comedian/impressionist - I love this guy. He needs better material, but his Nic Cage and Vince Vaughn were spot on. I could get behind this guy.

Luiz Meneghin, 54, opera singer - Always at least one opera singer, and Luiz is it for this year. And they ALWAYS start with "Nessun Dorma". Paul Potts did it, Neal E. Boyd did it, Luiz did it. He's very good, but he needs more charisma. The deer-in-headlights look in his eyes does not match the emotion in his voice. If he can work on that, and maybe sing in a suit or a tux, he could be a Top 5 act.

Granny G, 80, singer/comedienne - What do you get if you combine Season One's Rappin' Granny with Season Five's Grandma Lee? Why, Granny G, of course. She's a scream. I hope she makes it to Top 20. Gotta love little kids and old people on this show!

Tim Hockenberry, 49, singer - Well, it was only a matter of time before we got a singer that fit the mold of the last three guys to win the show. Tim is a perfect candidate... an everyman, a new dad, a struggling artist, and he has a voice that reminds me of Joe Cocker and Ray Charles. It's early yet, but he could definitely win.

Funk Beyond Control, 12-15, dance crew - ANOTHER teenage dance crew. They're starting to blur together.

The Emily Anne Band, band - I would love to hear more. Emily's voice has a nice quality to it, but I need to see a lot more before I am convinced they can go as far as Poplyfe did.

Kellen Erskine, comedian - Meh. How can I judge a comedian based on one barely amusing joke?

Martial Arts Line Dance Studio, dance team/gymnasts - Would have been more impressed if they hadn't fallen. It could be good if there were more spectacle. Maybe they'll deliver that in Vegas.

And the pimp spot goes to:

Turf, 21, dancer/contortionist - There's usually one solo-street-dancer that gets the most hype, and Turf looks to be this season's Snap Boogie. He's got some great moves, and some bizarre ones too. He could make Top 10 if he can keep his head on straight (literally).

Tim Hockenberry:

Luiz Meneghin:

David Garibaldi and his CMYK's:

Dave Burleigh:

Turf:

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

David Garibaldi and his CMYK's, performance artists - I loved this. They are really good at what they do. If they can step it up, I'd love to root for them going forward.

Cristin Sandu, 17, balancing act - Very, very impressive. Let's see where he takes it.

Lisa Clark Dancers, 14-18, dance crew - They were just like every other dance crew for me, pretty meh.

Jarrett & Raja, magician/musician - ditto.

Mika Gregoria, 14, singer - Not sure if I remember this one.

Mike Price, juggler - I like the jugglers. And his trick was really impressive. I LOVE the bit where Howard and Sharon arguing caused them to miss the trick, Howie made him do it again, and like a champ he just crushes it back to back. Great job by this guy.

Dave Burleigh, 43, comedian/impressionist - His Vince Vaughn was PERFECT. And everything else was great too. Mannerisms are all there, let's see how his material progresses. I think I like him so far better than last year's impressionist.

Luiz Meneghin, 54, opera singer - This act is going FAR. That backstory is too good to ignore. It won Landau the whole damn thing last year, and right now, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it won it for this guy this year. He's in the driver seat as far as I'm concerned.

Granny G, 80, singer/comedienne - She was actually funny.. but this type of act usually wears on me pretty quickly.

Tim Hockenberry, 49, singer - I dunno, man. I wasn't impressed. He's like an extremely poor (we're talking homeless) man's Michael Grimm. Not nearly the singing chops or stage presence. But it's worth seeing if he progresses.

Funk Beyond Control, 12-15, dance crew - they've always blurred together for me.

The Emily Anne Band, band - I hated this. I would have buzzed them, let alone sent them to Vegas.

Kellen Erskine, comedian - I agree.

Martial Arts Line Dance Studio, dance team/gymnasts - I'm filing them firmly in the "Wait and see" category. Potential is there.

And the pimp spot goes to:

Turf, 21, dancer/contortionist - Definitely this season's Haspop/Snap Boogie. Should fare about the same as them.