America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Geezer »

I honestly think you broke it down exactly right, Shryke. I wouldn't change a single act from each of those categories. You put them exactly where they belong.

I'm surprised PopLyfe had the votes to get in. At the most I thought they would be in the judges vote. I don't dislike them, I just thought they were at a disadvantage.

And I hope the top 5 you have there hold their rightful top 5 status and don't screw it up. I think Steven Retchless becomes the biggest Wild Card of the night, with Daniel gone, the Gay Vote might come in strong to keep their last hope alive. If he pulls off something spectacular, he could definitely get in over Landon, unfortunately.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Tonight's performances:

1. The Kinetic King - I still love this guy, but I hope this is it for him. I'm glad it went off without a hitch, but it was over in only 22 seconds. That's it. There's just no way this is a Vegas show.

2. Fatally Unique - They seem like a good bunch of people, and I'm happy their community has rallied behind them, but this routine reminded me too much of WSDT from last week. They're just not impressive enough, and not as good a fit for Vegas as the Miami All-Stars clearly are.

3. Landon Swank - GodDAMN, I love this kid. That was a gutsy, gutsy trick, and he pulled it off. I especially liked how he covered his bases by having Piers press the fourth button after it was over.

4. Gymkana (X - Piers) - Such a shame. I was just thinking that we had seen the best of them - which was good, but not great - and then they had the wheels come off when one of them crashed into the hoop-of-fire. Thank God the guy turned out okay.

5. Summerwind Skippers (X - Piers) - Last time they were actually great, but this time? Boooooooring. Plus, they had not one but TWO flubs, and even Piers agrees that the love affair is finally over.

6. Snap Boogie - This was good, but not great. I loved how he incorporated the black-clad backup dancers last time much better. That was a show. This? Was further proof that a solo dancer is a tough sell.

7. Anna Graceman - Five years ago, a girl about the same age as Anna, won Season One. She was a little girl with a powerful voice (and who has done quite well, all prior to turning 17), and Anna reminds me a lot of her (except Anna is considerably cuter). I'm quite sure Anna won't win this year, but I'm sure she'll move on, even though this performance felt a bit safe for me.

8. Steven Retchless (X - Piers) - Question: did Piers buzz Steven out of spite or just to prove he's not gay? Whatever the case, I don't think Steven will move on, especially if he's subject to the judges' vote.

9. Smage Bros. Riding Shows - Biggest surprise of the night. I honestly didn't think they had a shot at Top Ten, but they were pretty fantastic tonight. Somewhere Jeremy Vanschoonhoven is smiling.

10. Professor Splash - Great trick, and he did add the fire, but the novelty has worn off.

11. Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. - I don't know what Piers was listening to, but I loved this performance. Landau rocks!

12. Silhouettes - I hate to say it, but this just wasn't as good as the last one. I think they'll still get thorugh easily, but I hope their finals performance is better than this.

Who I HOPE will move on:
Silhouettes
Landau Eugene Murphy Jr.
Anna Graceman
Landon Swank
Snap Boogie

Who I THINK will move on:
Anna Graceman
Landon Swank
Silhouettes
Landau Eugene Murphy Jr.

Judges' choice: toughie. I think the Smages will win against anyone they might come against, whether it be Snap Boogie, Professor Splash or Fatally Unique.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Tonight's performances:

1. The Kinetic King - Agree copletely

2. Fatally Unique - I think they said, "hey, WSDT got in last week, let's take their routine and do the same thing, clearly it worked and we're out of ideas." Needless to say, they can go home now.

3. Landon Swank - Love it his entire repertoire. Love that he brings something new every time. Really, really hope he moves on.

4. Gymkana (X - Piers) - Oh well, it wasn't that great and highly repetitive. Wouldn't have gone on even without the spill.

5. Summerwind Skippers (X - Piers) - I still love watching them do their thing. They impress the hell out of me. But yes, their time has come to an end.

6. Snap Boogie - I love him, liked his performance, hope he moves on, and I like solo dance 84974297429874 times better than group dance.

7. Anna Graceman - I thought the performance was great, and locked her into a spot in the finals. Love it.

8. Steven Retchless (X - Piers) - I think he buzzed him because he's a giant homophobe. Really piers, you had to say "the only men that are supposed to slide down poles are firemen, this is not what men do"? The most anti-gay thing I've ever heard on this show. Still, he wasn't good enough to move on.

9. Smage Bros. Riding Shows - I was bored.

10. Professor Splash - I was actually pretty impressed, but its STILL only a one minute act, which you can't pull off for a Vegas routine.

11. Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. - Me either, I thought it was his best yet! Terrific. If a singer wins, it will be him.

12. Silhouettes - Me too. All the anticipation and this was just LAME. They really didn't do anything. Their awesomeness comes from them turning their bodies into shapes, and this, they used a wheel and some paper to make the earth. Maybe they aren't ready for this kind of stage....

Who I HOPE will move on:
Silhouettes
Landau Eugene Murphy Jr.
Anna Graceman
Landon Swank
Snap Boogie

Who I THINK will move on:
Anna Graceman
Landon Swank
Silhouettes
Landau Eugene Murphy Jr.

Judges' choice: toughie. I think the Smages will win against anyone they might come against, whether it be Snap Boogie, Professor Splash or Fatally Unique.

I'll just leave that up, because I completely agree.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Into the Top Ten!

Viewers Votes:
Landon Swank (yay!)
Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. (yay!)
Anna Graceman (yay!)
Silhouettes (yay?)

Judges' choice:
Smage Brothers prevail over Snap Boogie.

Here are last night's performances.

Anna Graceman:

Silhouettes:

Landon Swank:

Landau Eugene Murphy, Jr.:

Smage Brothers Riding Shows:

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Piers said something tonight about there being a Top Five, so that answers that question. I'm glad they're going with five instead of four, because almost all the acts deserve that extra spot. I wish they'd had a fifth spot last year, because surely Michael Grasso would have gotten it.

Here's how I rank the Top Ten.

1. Team iLuminate
2. Landau Eugene Murphy Jr.
3. Silhouettes
4. Anna Graceman
5. Landon Swank
6. Poplyfe
7. Miami All-Stars
8. Lys Agnes
9. Smage Brothers Riding Shows
10. West Springfield Dance Team

I think the Top 4 will make it if they perform up to expectations. Anyone from #5-#8 could conceivably take that fifth spot. However, now that the Silhouettes have faltered a little bit, I think the distance between Team iLuminate and the rest of the pack is simply too great.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I could have sworn that Nick said there would only be 4 spots in the finale...

Anyway, I think you are pretty damn spot on with your list. I'd probably put Miami All Stars last, but that is just personal preference. And move PopLyfe to 9. Other than that its pretty good, the top 5 I wouldn't change at all.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Top Ten time. The night we've been waiting for.

Tonight's performances:

1. Miami All Stars - I know everyone's glad football is back, but they took the Vegas-y show they had a lock on in their last performance and turned into a halftime show at a Hurricanes game. I'm sure it pained Piers to buzz them, and I'm not sure they deserved THAT, but if this was a gamble, then they lost.

2. Lys Agnes - Obviously, she's a great singer, and doing "Dream On" was a truly gutsy call, and I respect her for that. But I think the streak of opera singers in the Top Two will end at three. Lys's androgynous voice and features will definitely get her work, that's for sure, but she's just not as adorable as Anna or has as much humble charm as Landau... and I doubt that THREE singers will all go through, though that may depend on Poplyfe's performance.

3. Landon Swank - This was a GREAT trick. But it won't be enough. Michael Grasso's final trick was much more showy and Vegasy, and he still didn't make it. Landon's magic is amazing, but in order to be a true performer, he has to ditch this air of nonchalance that he seems to bring to most of his performances.

4. Anna Graceman - Firstly, I'm glad she wore a nice dress and had her hair and face all made up, because it was time for her to do that. I am also glad she ditched the piano, because it was time for her to do that too. "True Colors" isn't a song I would have chosen, and while she did stick in a few glory notes where she could, it really didn't wow me. Depending on what's coming up, and taking her early position in the show into account, I put her chances at Top Four at about 60-40. And if she does make it, I figure she'll be the biggest longshot to actually win.

5. Silhouettes - Wow. Geez, did you know that a lot of the children in this program were brought in because of their struggle with illness? That is just so beautiful and empowering, I can't tell you. It's heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time. And they redeemed themselves from last week. No sheets, no props, just pure storytelling. I was in an empty room, clapping at the TV, it was so brilliant. This act HAS to make the finals. Even if they don't win, they have SO earned it.

6. Smage Brothers Riding Shows - Last week's was cooler. This was okay, but I think we've finally topped out with this act.

7. Poplyfe - This act has grown by leaps and bounds since their original audition. They are brilliant showmen, and deserve a spot in the Final.

8. West Springfield Dance Team - Same old, same old. But it's okay, because they never had a shot anyway.

9. Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. - This was a sneak preview of Landau's Vegas show. It had everything... coolness, suaveness, confidence, natty threads, a backup orchestra, and a lotta swagger. Love Landau.

10. Team iLuminate - Just when you think they can't go anywhere but down, they blow your socks off again. As brilliant as the Silhouettes are, I just can't say that they deserve to win more than this group. What they have done is elevate the talent bar so high that it may be years before we see the like again on this show. It's just THAT good.

Who I hope will move on and who I think will move on are the same: Silhouettes, Team iLuminate, Landau and Poplyfe. Anna performed great all year, but she's only about 90% there toward being a complete artist. Now that she's well-known, she should finish school, move to L.A. and work on the other 10%. She doesn't need a Vegas show any more than Jackie did. Poplyfe don't need a Vegas show either, but a spot in the Finals will give that extra boost to their career.

I maintain that Team iLuminate should and will win. But the Silhouettes, a bunch of dying kids and their teacher uplifting America with their beautifully told stories... well, they might just sneak in and win next week if they can do what they did today.

What a great show.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here are what I believe were the Final Four-clinching performances.

Team iLuminate:

Landau Eugene Murphy Jr.:

Poplyfe:

Silhouettes:

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Tonight's performances:

1. Miami All Stars - I never liked them, but compared to this pile of crap, last time was a masterpiece.

2. Lys Agnes - I applaud her for making the choices she does, but it didn't quite work, on a night filled with no less than 6 acts completely deserving of making the final 4.

3. Landon Swank - I disagree about the nonchalance. I think it totally works in his favor. This was another fantastic trick. What I love so much about Landon, and I've said it before, is his variety. He's such a master magician that you can never predict what he will do next. He's practically already given us enough material, through all of his auditions, that we know he can fill a Vegas show. I hope, more than anyone else, that he makes it through, but his early, and the fact that there are only 4 spots are going to hurt him. Its unfortunate, but I really hope someone gives him a job. He is one of the best I've ever seen.

4. Anna Graceman - On any other night, this would certainly have been good enough to get through. But this was the top 10, and this fell just slightly flat enough that she probably will be one of the first few out of the top 4, possibly even finishing 5th in the votes. I'm a huge fan, and with some seasoning to her performing, she could be a star, she's just not quite there yet. Been a great ride though! And how weird is it that we have 2 acts from Alaska to make the top 10?

5. Silhouettes - I love how they new they were good enough to make it this far on talent, then at the first sign of struggle, they pull the "oh yeah, a bunch of these kids have debilitating diseases" card. Great strategy. That said, they absolutely nailed it. THIS is what made them my favorite act coming out of the auditions. They completely locked it down. This is why they should have their own show, and why I would pay to see it. I think they are a sure-fire lock.

6. Smage Brothers Riding Shows - I never loved it. Anyone who has ever watched the X Games just knows this isn't that cool.

7. Poplyfe - They have had the best ride of anyone in this competition. They went from the band Piers wouldn't have even let get to Vegas, simply because he only liked the singer, to being a damn near lock to make the final 4. What a journey, and they deserve it. She might be the best singer in this competition, and certainly the one with the most star potential. And they KNOW how to perform, which is rare considering their age. I think they are in, and will probably be the act that keeps Landon Swank out.

8. West Springfield Dance Team - Yeah, they were probably 10th out of 10 as far as odds to make the final, but I'm glad they had their moments of glory and were able to bring something different to dance.

9. Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. - If ANYONE can knock off Team iLuminate to win this, its Landau. Last year, Jackie Evancho was the heavy favorite, and Michael Grimm pulled off the upset. I think a similar thing could happen here. He has it all, the mass appeal, the great story of coming from a car wash to the finals, he has had "WOW" moments every step of the way (including his audition when NOBODY thought he would be good, and then THAT came out of him). He should easily make the finals, and if he wins I wouldn't be stunned.

10. Team iLuminate - I thought the same as you. Its no longer a matter of who is the best act for this season. They are it. Its a no-doubter. The question becomes "how can anyone top this next year?" Its going to be damn near impossible. They were phenomenal again, have the complete package, and will be a Vegas show, win or lose. But I expect them to win.

So yeah, Landau, iLuminate and the Silhouettes have a spot locked, I think. Then I think PopLyfe is the leader in the clubhouse for the 4th spot, with Landon and Anna having an outside chance. Six acts worthy, only 4 spots. Its supposed to get hard at this point, but it still kinda sucks to see them go home.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Some other fleeting thoughts rolling around my head.

Not only do Team iLuminate deserve to win, they NEED to win. Here's why:

1. Landau deserves a Vegas show, and God willing, he'll get one whether he wins or not. But if he does win, I'll be ecstatic for him, but it may have a detrimental affect on the show. So far, it's been a singer that's won EVERY YEAR. If, in this season, where they have pushed the non-vocal acts to almost ramming speed, if a vocal act still manages to win, I dread to think what the fallout might be. The judges may be encouraged to push even harder next year, and have the deck rather obviously stacked against the singers. It was the same way on The Amazing Race, where it took them nine years to crown an all-girl team champion (and lo, they've now done it twice in a row).

Bottom line: if non-vocal acts like the Silhouettes and Team iLuminate, who have clearly dominated this year, perform to the level they have and STILL not win, it might reduce the image of AGT to the level of "American Idol for all ages with a few other variety stuff thrown in for good measure even though they can't win." I don't want that, you don't want that, and the show probably doesn't want that either.

2. If the Silhouettes win, it could be a logistical nightmare if they were to get a Vegas show. Granted, I don't know any of those kids or their families, and I'm sure they have treatment centers in Vegas just like in Denver, but some of those are SMALL CHILDREN. I know they've bonded with their teachers and each other, but if they do get their Vegas show, one of two things must happen for each member: 1) The team member and their immediate family must move to Vegas for the duration of the show, or 2) the team member's parents must let them go to Vegas without them for the duration of the show.

Like I said, I don't know them or their families, and I'm sure they've taken to account exactly what the consequences of them winning will be if they DO win. A Vegas show would probably go a long way to helping the kids' families pay for what a sure to be a lifetime's worth of monstrous medical bills. Maybe I'm worrying for no reason, but that's just me.

I personally think that the best result for them would be not a Vegas show, but to be booked at patriotic and humanitarian events all over the country/world. White House functions, holiday celebrations, Olympic opening/closing ceremonies (they would be SO PERFECT for that!), the possibilities are endless. Presumably anyone who could book them at that level would pay for their travel expenses, for them and their families.

3. Poplyfe doesn't seem to have much in the way of family ties (they seem to be a foster family), so my guess is they'll eventually make the move from Oakland to L.A. to work on their first album (someone WILL sign them, they'd be idiots not to). I doubt I'll see any of it, but I hope they get a P/R blitz that covers all the teen magazines, as well as the Disney Channel and Nickelodeon. They're only going to be teenagers for a few short years, so they've got to milk that particular cow while they can. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if Keh'Lani took up acting a la Miley Cyrus if she thought it would help the band. She has just the kind of vivacious personality that would be perfect in her own Disney Channel kidcom. What do you think?

4. Last year, Michael Grimm definitely deserved to win. He NEEDED to win. I have my doubts that a 2nd or 3rd-place finish would have gotten him a fat album deal and a tour with Stevie Nicks. Jackie Evancho, on the other hand, should not have won. Not because she didn't deserve to win, but because she doesn't need Vegas. She needs anything BUT Vegas. She should be playing Rockefeller Center and the Met. She should be performing for presidents, kings, popes and foreign potentates (and I'm betting she's on her way to doing that, if she hasn't already). My only worry now is, now that Team iLuminate has become such a hot property, whether there is room for both them and Fighting Gravity in Vegas, given how similar they are. I'm rather disappointed that, a year later, FG is still a "work in progress", but hopefully that will change soon (presumably they're still all finishing college).

But Team iLuminate NEEDS to win. Sharon said it best when she wondered why they weren't world-famous already. They need to be in Vegas, NOW. They are all adults, seaoned dancers, utterly professional at what they do. They don't need any more time to improve. They need to win. They'd better win.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I agree with everything you said. I too have thought to myself about the logistical nightmare of taking the enormous act of the Silhouettes to Vegas, let alone splitting the million dollar prize among that many people kinda defeats the purpose of winning. You are definitely right about how they should be used.

I am not sure, however, that Landau will get his own show if he doesn't win. I totally agree that a non-singer has to win to avoid the show getting to the point where "only singers will ever win," but I think he's a lot like Michael Grimm in that if he doesn't win, I don't know how far he goes. Whereas with Jackie, I know that Team iLuminate will be a monster success, win or lose.

I would be surprised if the Disney Channel doesn't contact PopLyfe the second all of their contractual obligations to AGT are up.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

And The Top Four are...

Team iLuminate
POPLYFE
Silhouettes
Landau Eugene Murphy Jr.

America got it right. Don't you just love when that happens?

This is shaping up to be the best final show yet. I thought it would be tough to top last year's Top 4, but it's happened.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

When Nick said the vote between PopLyfe and Landon Swank was a 1% difference, damn it I thought maybe he had a chance. Almost makes me wish I voted, almost! I really wanted to see a magician join the final 4, especially since PopLyfe has no shot at winning and will come in 4th guaranteed, BUT there was no getting this one wrong. Everyone that had a chance was truly a great act.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Final Four:

Landau Eugene Murphy Jr.

A great guy, a great personality, and a truly great singer. Landau has brought his "A" game every week, and this performance - when it would have been SO easy to be cheesy and OTT - was probaby his best yet. I'm so proud of him.

Team iLuminate

As much as I love Landau, however, I firmly believe that no act in the show's history has deserved to win more than this one, and not just because I want the string of victories by solo singers (and solo MALE singers too) to end. Never has there been a more perfect match for Vegas than this act. They went all-out in this performance, and it was perfect. They have nothing left to prove to me. They are the best act this show has ever seen. Blue Man Group doesn't even hold a candle to this.

Poplyfe

They took on the Beatles and the Jackson Five and nailed it, but taking on Queen proved to be their downfall. Not that they had a shot at winning anyway, but Keh'Lani's nerves were apparent, and... the judges never said anything, but the boys, while great musicians, are terrible back-up singers. Still, I'm so amazed by their progress, and I hope that they become mega-famous (on a Miley level) some day. They've really won me over.

Silhouettes

Technical problems? On the final performance of the FINAL final performance show? Ye gods, what a bad break. First off, I didn't watch this as it was on TV, and the fact that the show decided to fill the gap with ridiculous clips from the audition rounds just baffles me, because it broke the serious mood and spirit of the Finals. Then, Silhouettes were rushed out on stage with five minutes to go before the hour ended, and we didn't even get to see their pre-performance package. WTF?! Why didn't they just show that instead of the montage-o-suck? And then, my DVR cuts off halfway through the judges hasty comments, and I didn't even get the show recap or the phone numbers? Could this have an effect on the voting? I have to believe it will. As to the performance itself, it wasn't my favorite, but it was still very good. I maintain that this group would be better off doing inspirational performances at functions across the country than in Vegas.

So, as of this moment, I have to figure it's between Team iLuminate and Landau. We'll find out tonight who it is.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I agree with your assessment. Landau absolutely killed it with his best performance to date. Love him and if he wins, I can't say I'd really be all that upset about it. However, like you said, iLuminate just blows everyone else out of the water. It is absolutely the best act ever. They deserve to win, they need to win and they SHOULD win. They are perfect. Last night may have been their best yet, and it really just goes to show you that with this technology, the possibilities are endless.

PopLyfe SUCKED. There's no other way around it. She knew it, the judges knew it, and America knew it. They were just amateurish compared to the other three acts last night. Really makes me wish 1% more people had voted for Landon Swank, because there's no way he would have blown it that bad. Really makes you remember that these are still children.

And the Silhouettes did what the Silhouettes do. They gave a moving, breathtaking performance. I'd probably rank it third amongst their performances so far, and they are a clear third place in the running, but I think in any other year, they would have had a real shot at winning it all. The top 3 this year are just phenomenal acts and I'm hoping they do a tour once again so I can see them all perform.