America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Geezer »

Ehhhh, I don't see why NBC would give up the ratings...

I think Matt Wilhelm has a really strong chance. I think Zuma Zuma could get in there. And I think, after Grasso's run last year, that Landon could have a shot as well. If I were putting money on it, I'd go with your 4 as well, but the "other" acts have been really strong this year.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

And the ones going through to the semis are:

Viewer Votes:
Landon Swank
West Springfield Dance Team
The Kinetic King

And the judges, once again, sent the Fiddleheads home, in favor of the Summerwind Skippers.

Here are their performances:

Landon Swank:

Summerwind Skippers:

The Kinetic King:

West Springfield Dance Team:

And since you missed it, Geez, here is TFLP:

So now the semis are set. I will list them in the order that I think they are likely to emerge victorious (this is based not only on my own feelings, but audience reactions, judges' comments, etc.)

Team iLuminate, Glow-Light Dance Group
Silhouettes, Silhouette Dancers
Landau Eugene Murphy Jr., Classical Singer
Anna Graceman, Singer/Pianist
Matt Wilhelm, Stunt Bike Rider
Lys Agnes, Opera Singer
Landon Swank, Magician
Snap Boogie, Dancer
Sandou Trio Russian Bar, Russian Bar Act
Poplyfe, Band
Beth Ann Robinson, Dancer
Gymkana, Gymnastic Act
Summerwind Skippers, Jump Rope Acrobats
Professor Splash, High Diver
Zuma Zuma, Tumblers/Acrobats
West Springfield Dance Team, Dance Group
Daniel Joseph Baker, Singer/Pianist
Miami All-Stars, Dance Group
Smage Brothers Riding Shows, Stunt Motorcyclists
Steven Retchless, Pole Dancer
Melissa Villasenor, Comedienne
Fatally Unique, Dance Group
The Kinetic King, Trick Designer
Kevin Colis, Singer/Guitarist
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Ooohhhh fun fun! I'll play!

Team iLuminate, Glow-Light Dance Group
Silhouettes, Silhouette Dancers
Landau Eugene Murphy Jr., Classical Singer
Anna Graceman, Singer/Pianist
Matt Wilhelm, Stunt Bike Rider
Landon Swank, Magician
Zuma Zuma, Tumblers/Acrobats
Snap Boogie, Dancer
Lys Agnes, Opera Singer
Sandou Trio Russian Bar, Russian Bar Act
Smage Brothers Riding Shows, Stunt Motorcyclists
Steven Retchless, Pole Dancer
Beth Ann Robinson, Dancer
Poplyfe, Band
Daniel Joseph Baker, Singer/Pianist
Summerwind Skippers, Jump Rope Acrobats
Gymkana, Gymnastic Act
West Springfield Dance Team, Dance Group
Professor Splash, High Diver
Melissa Villasenor, Comedienne
Miami All-Stars, Dance Group
Fatally Unique, Dance Group
The Kinetic King, Trick Designer
Kevin Colis, Singer/Guitarist

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I think there is a distinct drop off after the top 10, so I hope they actually are the top 10. The only other act I think is on par with the talent of the top 10 is Beth Anne, but she won't get the votes.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Going back to my predictions for Round Two:

Shoo-ins (6/8):
Anna Graceman
Landau Eugene Murphy Jr.
Lys Agnes
Professor Splash
Silhouettes
Team iLuminate

Above-average chance (4/8):
Daniel Joseph Baker
Melissa Villasenor
Poplyfe
Snap Boogie

Decent chance (3/8):
Landon Swank
Miami All Stars
Sandou Russian Bar Trio

Outside chance (3/8):
Fatally Unique
Smage Brothers Riding Shows
Steven Retchless

Slim chance (3/8):
Kinetic King
Summerwind Skippers
Zuma Zuma

No chance (0/8):

Wow. Shows what I know.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Geezer wrote:And just for fun, since I presume these will be broken down into 4 groups of 12, with 4 going on per group, here are my final 16 (of course not taking into account a Wild Card or Youtube show). I guess this is kind of a mixture between personal opinion, and what I think will happen. I expect one from you, Shryke!:

Team iLuminate
Lys Agnes
Professor Splash
The Silhouettes

SH'Boss Boys
Anna Graceman
Landon Swank

Sam B
Attack Dance Crew
Daniel Joseph Baker
Dylan Andre
Taylor Davis
Frank Miles
Snap Boogie
Landau Eugene Murphy Jr.

Dani Shay
And you got 9/16 (though Landon was on the WC show).

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Yeah, shoulda got 10. Sandou Trio Russian Bar was the last group I left off the list. I should have chosen them over Sam B, but, I couldn't. I had to believe!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Don't know how reliable this is (and we'll know for sure in a few hours anyway), but here is how the 24 semifinalists will be broken down by episode.

SF#1:
Beth Ann Robinson
Daniel Joseph Baker
Kevin Colis
Lys Agnes
Matt Wilhelm
Melissa Villasenor
Miami All-Stars
Poplyfe
Sandou Trio Russian Bar
Team iLuminate
West Springfield Dance Team (wow, that's three weeks in a row)
Zuma Zuma

SF#2:
Anna Graceman
Fatally Unique
Gymkana
The Kinetic King
Landau Eugene Murphy Jr.
Landon Swank
Professor Splash
Silhouettes
Snap Boogie
Steven Retchless
Summerwind Skippers

I'm assuming that instead of Top 3 plus JP going through, it'll be Top 4 plus JP, making a Top Ten for the finals. I have bolded the ones I expect to go through to the Top 10, one way or another.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

wow, all I have to say is that Sandou Trio Russian Bar COMPLETELY fucking blew it. Can't wait for you to see this.

And the lists are accurate.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Tonight's performances:

1. Zuma Zuma - Good to see them back at six tonight (they were only five last time). Their strength is incredible, but there weren't as many "wow" moments as their last routine. Howie and Sharon agreed with me, and I think that may cost them a spot in the finals (which wouldn't have been guaranteed even with a perfect performance).

2. Beth Ann Robinson - She was technically brilliant, beautiful without being TOO sexy, and her smile captivated the audience. Was it enough? I don't know. But whether she makes it through or not, she's got a hell of a future as a dancer. (We may even see her on SYTYCD in three years or so.)

3. Sandou Trio (X - Piers) - If they had really truly taken the Russian Bar as far as they could, that's one thing, but to go from death-defying aerialism to THIS?! Wow. I will say this: for a singer, she sure is a great acrobat.

4. Kevin Colis (X - Piers) - Guys with guitars have won the last two seasons, and any chance of that happening again this year died with this blah performance. It just makes me appreciate Michael Grimm that much more. Kevin Skinner didn't have a spectacular voice, but it was perfectly suited for country music, and that plus his redneck charm is why he won two yeas ago. I got nothing against Kevin C., but this is precisely the reason why I ranked him dead last among the 24 semifinalists.

5. Matt Wilhelm - It is FG on a bike, but there is one huge difference (besides the size of the group), and that is, with FG, there are so many different ways they can do their act, so many nuances they can add. With Matt, it pretty much has to involve the bike, and I have to believe that we've seen the best of him at this point. Plus, he fell once, and that may prove devastating... amazed he wasn't buzzed! If he gets through, maybe he'll prove me wrong. Either way, I hope that he gets a show SOMEWHERE.

6. Poplyfe - Loved the setup (looked like one of Recycled Percussion's old sets), and though they did sound like a teen band singing it, I loved their song choice. KehLani has got such charisma, I just adore her (but I hated her outfit). The instrumentation was decent enough, but you're right, Geez... will it be enough?

7. West Springfield Dance Team - Wow, this is three weeks in a row we've seen them. You are right, Geez, they are very memorable. I've never seen any traditional dance crew mix metal music, zombie makeup and dance and night come off looking like a cheap cartoon. They might make the finals, and even though they haven't a prayer of winning, I feel good that this show is making them famous.

8. Melissa Villasenor - I really like Melissa, but you're right, this is as far as she can reasonably go. She nailed the Wanda Sykes bit, and her Shakira was hysterical. I wish her all the best.

9. Team iLuminate - How could you miss it? Again?! Jeez, do I have to do everything myself?

What more is there to say? The dancing is amazing, the effects are phenomenal, this act is GOING TO WIN. That lady who created this is a freaking genius. Wow. Fuckin' wow.

10. Daniel Joseph Baker - Finally, this kid proves to me that he is an ARTIST and not just an act, which in itself was little more than a better-than-average gay stereotype. I am very very impressed with him.

11. Miami All-Stars - This is a Vegas act, and I think that they will get through ahead of WDST. I really enjoy watching them.

12. Lys Agnes - Brave song choice, but there's still something off-putting I find about her. Still, I think she'll move on.

Who I HOPE will move on:
Team iLuminate
Beth Ann Robinson
Poplyfe
Miami All-Stars
Daniel Joseph Baker

Who I THINK will move on:
Team iLuminate
Daniel Joseph Baker
Poplyfe
Miami All-Stars
Lys Agnes

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Tonight's performances:

1. Zuma Zuma - I liked their last performance better, but I still love them. Unfortunately, their early position, and the great talent that followed them, is going to take them out.

2. Beth Ann Robinson - She was flawless. She is a spectacular ballet dancer who will have a career in it. But this will be her last AGT performance.

3. Sandou Trio Russian Bar (X - Piers) - Piers called it the biggest suicide of anyone in the history of the show. I could not agree more. Absolutely fucking horrible.

4. Kevin Colis (X - Piers) - Once again, this guy fucking sucks.

5. Matt Wilhelm - He was more of the same, and I do like that a lot. It's fighting gravity with a bike. But I don't know if it was enough on this night, to be honest.

6. Poplyfe - Again, a very good performance. They are a great little band. But again, with the acts that followed, I think they might get forgotten.

7. West Springfield Dance Team - They are really, really good dancers with really good choreographers. I think they have a real chance to move on, as their momentum seems to be picking up from week to week. One thing is for sure, no one will forget about them.

8. Melissa Villasenor - Possibly her best performance. Pulled out all the stops and did what she does superbly. BUT she has almost no chance to move on. Its just not what AGT is looking for.

9. Team iLuminate - I missed them god damn it. This is two weeks in a row I missed my most anticipated act!! I am positive they were phenomenal and I will catch it tomorrow online. I guarantee they have a spot, without even watching.

10. Daniel Joseph Baker - Subdued, classic, and heartfelt, this was his best performance to date. Kid can really sing.

11. Miami All-Stars - They don't excite me, but they are extremely talented. They could be in a movie with an elaborate dance number. They could be in their own line of television commercials. Could they be a Vegas show? Maybe.

12. Lys Agnes - Her performance was extremely strong, meaning from Matt Wilhelm on the performances ranged from "good" to absolutely outstanding." How crazy is that? Anyway, her take on "Bring Me To Life" was a very nice change of pace for her. Still can't totally blow me away after seeing Jackie Evancho, and I doubt any opera singer ever will after her.

Who I HOPE will move on:
Team iLuminate
Zuma Zuma
Matt Wilhelm
Daniel Joseph Baker

Who I THINK will move on:
Team iLuminate
Lys Agnes
Miami All Stars
Daniel Joseph Baker

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shryke, I miss them because I hate commercials, and love the Red Sox. Switched over to the game, so I got side tracked, and it was over before I remembered to switch back.

So yeah... after watching it.... HOLY SHIT!!! That was the single coolest thing I have ever seen on this show. They are the best, and they will win. They are absolutely fucking amazing. I can't express how much I loved that. They brought Mortal Kombat to life. They will WIN THIS COMPETITION.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

HAHAHAHA I love how we both busted out the All CAPS proclamation of victory. Wrote that before I read it from you. Must be saying something.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Through to the Top 10:

Viewer Votes:
Team iLuminate (thank GOD)
Lys Agnes
Poplyfe (YAY!!!)
Miami All-Stars

Judges's Pick:
West Springfield Dance team was picked over Daniel Joseph Baker.

You were right, Geez, Beth Ann was spectacular but didn't get the votes. Still, you just know she's going to be gigantic in the dance world.

And I'm surprised WDST got the nod ofer DJB because WDST seems to always be on the bubble. I guess the show really is pushing the non-singing acts over the singing acts this year. I mean, three dance groups in one night? That's got to be a first.

Already posted Team iLuminate; here are the other advancing acts' performances.

Lys Agnes:

Miami All-Stars:

Poplyfe:

West Springfield Dance Team:

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

So, Geez, looking ahead to next week...

Should be a lock for Top Ten if they nail their performance:
Silhouettes
Landau Eugene Murphy Jr.
Anna Graceman

Need a great performance to grab the other two spots:
Snap Boogie
Landon Swank

Could sneak in if one of the above has a bad night and they tear the roof off:
Professor Splash (if he really jumps through fire and makes the audience/judges piss themselves as promised)
Steven Retchless

Virtually no shot:
Fatally Unique
The Kinetic King
The Summerwind Skippers
Gymkana