America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Geezer »

Probably not, but only because the talents of Jackie Evancho and Michael Grimm are way up there.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Many people on American Idol have gone on to great success despite not winning. The success rate for AGT isn't anywhere near that (yet). I know that Bianca Ryan has recorded a few albums, but has only done moderately well. Terry Fator is a HUGE success. Neal E. Boyd and Kevin Skinner haven't realized their full success, as far as I know.

I know that Barbara Padilla, last year's runner-up, is working on her first CD. So are the Texas Tenors. And as we both know, Recycled Percussion were just given their own Vegas show. So win or lose, I feel confident that Fighting Gravity will find some awesome venue to showcase their unique spectacle.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I think the same for both Murry and Michael Grasso. They are TOP NOTCH magicians. As good as anyone working in Vegas, and they don't even have the budget those guys do. I think they have to find work somewhere after this. They are too good at what they do.

Prince Poppycock is going to be successful win or lose. He has the following, the act, the everything worthy of a show in Vegas. He is built for it.

They have said from the beginning that the talent level this year is so much higher than in past seasons, and maybe this is the year that several acts find success.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SEMIFINAL #2

No surprise who got the 11th and 12th spots. They are the obvious favorites to move on from this group.

Alice Tan Ridley - What a great lady. She looked radiant, and she killed that Whitney song. She may be a distant second to Jackie in the solo female category, but I hope that she moves on.

Haspop (X - Piers) - I give the guy props for trying something different i.e. incorporating the film into his routine. But the routine plus his early spot in the show probably spells the end for him. (Interesting: according to Wikipedia, he was in Cirque du Soleil from '05-'09... five years, and he still couldn't find the dough to bring his kids to America? Don't CDS get paid mondo bucks?!)

Maestro Alexander Bui (X - Howie) - The kid's hella talented, but he's got his whole life as a concert pianist ahead of him. His future's made. He doesn't need this show. Howie was right: on a Vegas level, he just doesn't measure up to half the acts in the SF's.

Michael Lipari & Ashleigh Dejon - They went for the heartstrings and away from the wow. The crowd seemed to love it, though. They might fall squarely in the middle again.

Michael Grasso - This guy just rocks my world. You said it, Geez, he is a world-class magician. If he doesn't make the final, I will be supremely disappointed. My only worry is that the competition is so stiff tonight.

Debra Romer - I love this girl, but against the power of Alice and the prodigy of Jackie, I think she'll be on the outside looking in. I take comfort in the fact that she probably won't have to go back to waiting tables.

Studio One Young Beast Society - I fully expected these guys to tank, but they didn't. They brought their A-game, and I think they actually have a shot at moving on tomorrow.

Jeremy VanSchoonhoven - It's so cool that Jeremy and Terry Fator started out in the same place. I don't know if that flub at the beginning will cost him or not, but as much as I love him, I don't think he'll move on.

Nathaniel Kenyon (X - Piers) - He might have stood a chance if he had gone last week and Taylor Mathews had gone this week. But apart from his good looks, there's just not much to recommend him tonight.

Murray - The trick he performed floored me, but... why did he bother bringing two people (and pre-selected people at that) out of the audience to "witness" the trick, and then we never heard from them again? He's a terrific magician, but Michael's a better SHOWMAN.

Jackie Evancho - Fuck me sideways, this child. I am thunderstruck by the voice coming out of her tiny little body. There is no WAY she's not moving on.

Fighting Gravity - Piers said it best: no one could follow Jackie except them. They are a phenomenal act, perfect for Vegas. They are the most original act of the entire show, and I could watch them all day.

So, the good news is, no one stunk up the joint. Only three acts got one X. The bad news is, seven incredibly talented acts will be shown the door tomorrow night.

Definitely In: Jackie Evancho, Fighting Gravity

Has a Very Good Shot: Alice Tan Ridley, Michael Grasso

Maybe, Just Maybe: Michael Lipari & Ashleigh Dejon, Studio One Young Beast Society

Outside Chance: Debra Romer, Jeremy VanSchoonhoven, Murray

Probably Not: Haspop, Maestro Alexander Bui, Nathaniel Kenyon

Hell No: funny enough, no one.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

It is a TWO HORSE RACE after tonight. End of story. And you know who they are.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I presume you mean Jackie and Fighting Gravity. I agree with you. I still hold out hope that Michael Grasso and Michael Grimm can make a great showing.

I want shows for all of them.

I'm not entirely sure that next week is the end of it. The TV described it as "10 acts trying for a spot in the Top 4".

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

So the Top 10 is set.

Fighting Gravity, Jackie E. and Michael Grasso were no surprises. I was shocked as hell that Jeremy actually got through on viewer votes, but pleasantly surprised. In the end, the judges had to pick between SOYBS and Alice Tan Ridley, and they chose Studio One. Again, I'm sorry to see Alice go, but Studio One really put their all into it.

Next Week's Final:

Studio One Young Beast Society
Anna & Patryk
Michael Grasso
Michael Grimm
Taylor Mathews
Prince Poppycock
Jackie Evancho
Christina & Ali
Jeremy VanSchoonhoven
Fighting Gravity

Piers told Jackie that she was TWO songs away from potentially winning, which confirms that next week is not the FINAL final. It looks like they will indeed cut it to four. My money's on Fighting Gravity, Jackie and the two Michael G's.

How about you, Geez?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

For those following this thread BESIDES myself and Geez, here are a look at the two "horses" that are most likely to win:

And my other two picks to make the Final Four:

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I think they should have done a top 5, because i think its going to be REALLY tough for America, and the judges, to decide that 4th spot between Grasso and Poppycock. Its all going to come down to their performance obviously, but I think Grasso has to do something other than the disappearing girl trick. He's done it three times, and I'd just like to see something different to see what else he can do. I think those top 3 are mortal locks to make the finals, and no one else has any real shot of beating Grasso and Poppycock. So while I still think it is a two horse race (Jackie and FG BOTH had their strongest performances this week) their are 5 REALLY strong acts and 5 that are not quite in their league. I am really pulling for FG, simply because they need this, and frankly, Jackie doesn't. This competition was built for acts like this, and they need their own show. I think all of the top 5, and maybe a couple from outside that top 5, will certainly find successful careers out of this.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

If I were a Vegas odds-maker, here's how I would break down the Top 10's chances of winning the show.

Jackie Evancho - Apart from having the kind of voice that comes along once in a generation, she's the perfect little girl: she's mature for her age, she's personable, respectful, and adorable. She doesn't come off the least bit snotty or privileged. And that's a combo package that every parent in America wants to reward. Odds: 3/1

Fighting Gravity - This act is original, cool, and flawlessly executed every time. The possibilities are endless, and the element of darkness gives the assurance that all eyes are on them, all the time. It's the kind of act that Vegas just screams for. Odds: 5/1

Michael Grimm - His voice is reminiscent of Michael Bolton's, and is a perfect fit for the bluesy soul genre that he covets. As Piers said, he knows exactly who he is, which comes across on stage. He's good looking (but not overly so), and he's got a truly endearing sense of humility. He's been in the trenches for years, and he absolutely deserves all the fame he gets. Odds: 8/1

Michael Grasso - Easily the greatest illusionist this show has ever seen. I've watched his three "disappearing girl" acts countless times, and I have NO FREAKIN' CLUE how he does it! He's slick, suave, and mysterious. Plus, he's ruggedly handsome with just a tiny maniacal glint in his eye, and he looks every inch the Vegas showman. He may not win, but I hope he has his name up in lights for years to come. Odds: 10/1

Prince Poppycock - I have to give the AGT voting public a lot of credit; I didn't think PP had a shot. Not because he's not talented, but because I was sure a lot of people would be put off by his foppish (read: "gay") persona. Plus, with Jackie, there are two operatic singers in the Top 10. But his voice is amazing, he's campy, he's funny, and he's a true guilty pleasure. Odds: 15/1

Taylor Mathews - His vocals aren't as strong as the singers listed above, but he's got so much going for him. He plays multiple instruments, has a terrific voice, and has a face that will appeal to legions of young ladies. Plus, his clean-cut image makes him every mother's dream. Odds: 18/1

Jeremy VanSchoonhoven - If you've have told me before the season started that a bicycle-riding daredevil kid would make the Top 10, I'd have said you were crazy. But this kid has sold me on his ability. What he can do on a bike on a relatively small stage is phenomenal. He's battered, bruised, and yet he just keeps on going. I've got truckloads of respect for him. Odds: 25/1

Studio One Young Beast Society - Quite possibly the hardest-working act in the Top 10, because in many ways, their act takes the most work. Group choreography is really tough, and when you add the pressure of live TV... They combine street-dancing and acrobatics really well, and like Sharon said, they're great role models. Having a girl in the group that's Jackie's age makes their target demographic even younger. Odds: 30/1

Anna & Patryk - I really like these kids. Obviously, they have mastered the art of ballroom dancing at the tender age of 12, and they will probably be winning competitions for the next 20 years. My God, how good are they going to be when they're 18?! But it's not a Vegas act. I can't imagine people would pay to watch them dance for an hour, assuming A&P could even find the stamina to do that. Odds: 40/1

Christina & Ali - I have nothing against these two; in fact, I really like them. They lucked out by performing in the weaker of the two semifinals. Antonio Restivo, Alice Tan Ridley and a couple of others have shown more talent. But they're here less for their talent and more for their story: they are sisters, age 13 and 20, who have cystic fibrosis, a condition that will probably prevent them from living much past the age of 40. Which is a terrible thought. The fact that they can come out and sing their hearts out is truly inspirational. But they don't deserve to win. Odds: 50/1

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shryke, just got tickets to go see the America's Got Talent live tour for October 29th at Foxwoods. Its going to be a fun time!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

THE TOP TEN

As expected, they put the five best bets for the Top 4 in the second half.

Studio One Young Beast Society-
Christina & Ali
Jeremy VanSchoonhoven
Taylor Mathews
Anna & Patryk

Fighting Gravity
Michael Grimm
Michael Grasso
Prince Poppycock
Jackie Evancho

You know what? I can't critique them. Every single one of them knocked it out of the park. All of them proved why they deserved to be in the Top 10. Even Anna & Patryk rebounded from Anna taking the tumble down the stairs. I am so impressed with all of them, I can't tell you.

That being said, tomorrow is going to be heartbreaking. I'm with you, Geez, there should be a Top 5. I am reasonably certain that the Top 4 will be comprised of acts from the second half of the show, which means that one of them won't make it. And that SUCKS.

Michael Grasso is a world-class magician. Fighting Gravity is as bona fide a Vegas act as AGT has ever had. Michael Grimm is the complete package. Prince Poppycock is a natural-born entertainer. And Jackie Evancho... well, what can you say? She's breathtaking.

So who will be the odd act out? I have to believe that it will be one of the Michael G.'s. And again, that sucks.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I think it will be Poppycock on the outside. I really didn't love what he did last night, I thought it was his weakest act. It wasn't funny, it didn't showcase his vocals, on a night where EVERYONE else just killed it, I think he had the night's worst performance. For that alone, I think the other 4 will be moving on.

But seriously everyone was awesome. Just a great show. Regardless of what happens in this competition, there will be multiple shows to come from it, and multiple record deals. Taylor Mathews just SCREAMS pop star. Poppycock will get a show even if Sharon has to fund it herself! What a night, can't wait for the results, but I am sticking by the big 4, with FG, Jackie and the two Michael's.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, sad to say, you were wrong, Geez, and it was Michael Grasso on the outside.

Other than that, the Final Four pretty much went as expected, with Jackie, Michael Grimm, Poppycock and Fighting Gravity advancing.

I am going to be keeping an eye out to see what happens to Michael Grasso from here. SOMEONE better freakin' hire the guy.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I agree with that, and I knew it would be one of the two. Just wishful thinking I guess.