America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay, it looks like like several acts switched weeks, despite what last week's promo said. Here is who is performing as of this moment.

Semis #1:
1. Darci Lynn Farmer
2. Chase Goehring
3. Johnny Manuel
4. Preacher Lawson
5. DaNell Daymon & Greater Works
6. Evie Clair
7. Mike Yung
8. Sarah and Hero
9. Eric Jones
10. Yoli Mayor
11. WC (TBA)

Semis #2:
1. Kechi Okwuchi
2. Light Balance
3. Mandy Harvey
4. Angelica Hale
5. Diavolo
6. Celine Tam
7. Merrick Hanna
8. Christian Guardino
9. In the Stairwell
10. Colin Cloud

Fucking Wikipedia. For whatever reason, both weeks have a "TBA" listed, and Billy & Emily England have disappeared completely.

Guess we'll see how it shakes out.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

1. Yoli Mayor - She's good, she's fine, but this is as far as she goes. This was better than last week, but I still think she is outclassed by some of the other singers.

2. Eric Jones - HOLY SHIT now THAT was a magic show. If he doesn't get through.... That was one of the most spellbinding, baffling thing I have ever seen. What a talent.

3. DaNell Daymon & Greater Works - I think that song choice is going to be their undoing. I guess I'm in the minority, but that didn't work for me at all. And I LOVE these guys. I don't like that they did a slow love ballad. I want the fun back.

4. Preacher Lawson - He's a great comedian. If I have one criticism, he's a liiiiiitle too much of an Eddie Murphy clone. Lots of similarities in their act. But his jokes are good and he's entertaining as hell. I hope he makes it.

5. Johnny Manuel - Completely disagree with Howie and Mel. I can't believe they didn't respect him for coming out and doing his own song and crushing it. He's one of the best singers in this competition. How they gushed over Yoli and didn't love him is beyond me. I thought he was leaps and bounds above her.

6. Billy and Emily England - They are incredible EVERY time. And they manage to step it up time and time again. I'm not sure if they are enough to have an entire show just by themselves (can they spin for an hour?) I think they would need to be the centerpiece of a bigger ensemble. But at what they are doing, they are absolutely freaking awesome. I love them.

7. Evie Clair - I have been critical of her in the past. She KILLED it tonight. Oh my God, dude. Where has that been for the past couple? That was incredible. Chills on my chills. Evie is back in a huge way. I want to watch that all over again. She proved she belongs.

8. Sarah and Hero - I think you already know what I'm going to say. Meh.

9. Chase Goehring - I've been on this guy from audition number one and he never disappoints. Just super, incredibly talented. He could absolutely win this and even if he doesn't, I think he's a star. Just an unbelievable talent. He could sell out arenas.

10. Darci Lynn Farmer - Yup, she's still the odds on favorite to win this year. So talented, so funny, just a joy to watch. Her personality is awesome. You just eat up everything she's selling. Natural born entertainer. I can't sing her praises enough.

11. Mike Yung - I guess I'm just not his biggest fan. Something about his voice doesn't wow me. I like him as a person, but I don't think he's quite talented enough to make it through this field.

And that's the end!

Alright so of these acts, I think we're looking at Darci Lynn, Chase, Eric Jones, Preacher Lawson and Billy and Emily. Evie could get in too. If it is anyone else, I'd be surprised, though only Sarah and Hero or Yoli would be a complete shock.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Mel B now looks like a friggin' parakeet. Ridiculous. At least Tyra toned down the gaudiness about two bars.

1. Yoli Mayor - This was indeed better than last week, but, yeah, I have to agree with you. Other singers will make the finals ahead of her, and if the Judges' Pick comes down between her and anyone else, she'll probably lose. I really like her, though. With some more years of polish, her voice could rival Adele's.

2. Eric Jones - I'm flabbergasted. Stupefied. This guy is amazing. Yes, it's close up magic, which lacks spectacle, but damn he's good. He won't win, but I hope he get a show SOMEWHERE. He's earned it.

3. DaNell Daymon & Greater Works - I get what you're saying, but I didn't dislike this song choice as much as you. That being said, I think the early placement in the show will kill whatever chance they might have had. Then again, that was one hell of an ovation they got! Represent!

4. Preacher Lawson - It would suck not to have a comedian in the finals, but I'm not sure this routine will get him there. Loved the Tyra joke.

5. Johnny Manuel - He's amazing, and I give him total props for his song choice. They praise Chase for doing his own songs, but not Johnny? Boo hiss.

6. Billy & Emily England - Who'd've thought they could do SO MANY tricks on a five-foot circle? It's unbelievable. Simply amazing. And loved the GoT background! They'd better move on! How they hell can they top THIS?!

7. Evie Clair - The nine-year-olds (and Darci) may get the hype, but wow, this girl is talented. I absolutely adore her. She brought her A-game tonight. The nerves that crippled her before were gone. Loved the set, loved the song choice. Will she get rewarded with a trip to the Finals? I hope so. (I want to hear her do a duet with Mandy. My brain might just melt.)

8. Sara & Hero - I'm not going to dump on her. It's because of other people that she's made it this far. She's a great lady, and her dogs are talented, but her run has to end now. (Screw Dogs Playing Poker! Now it's Dogs Playing Volleyball!)

9. Chase Goehring - This guy needs a record deal, NOW. (Maybe DJ Khaled!) He could totally be the next Ed Sheeran. He's awesome. No way he doesn't go on.

10. Darci Lynn Farmer - My God, this girl. I wouldn't have thought so young a girl could be so multi-dimensional. And funny! Her comic timing is impeccable, and that may just win her this show. Terry Fator, watch out!

11. Mike Yung - I wouldn't put him in the Finals, but I'm happy he made it this far. Going dead last definitely gives him a shot.

Five will go through. Not sure if the Dunkin' Save will still be involved, but I'm betting the Judges' Pick still will.

I'm flipping between this and the Dbacks-Dodgers game. Hoping Greinke wil get us our twelfth win in a row.

I'm still hoping Angelina Green will be back next week. She's the only Golden Buzzer eliminated so far.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Next week is going to be TOUGH. I am not sure anyone is an automatic lock.

One would think Light Balance, Kechi, and Mandy have the best shot. Diavolo should also make it through for the variety.

I have to figure the fifth spot will go to one of the two nine-year-olds. How ironic would it be if the Judges Pick ended up being the two of them?

I love Christian and Colin, but I think they have too big a mountain to climb.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

What the Fuck is wrong with America? I mean, I seem to be asking myself that every time we get to vote on things these days, but COME ON! Sarah and her fucking dogs moves on over Billy and Emily and one out of Evie, Eric and Chase?) Fuck off, America. Fuck right the hell off.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I'm scratching my head. But then, American doesn't always make the right choices. Just look who's in the White House.

I console myself by the fact that Darci will win. I honestly can't see that NOT happening.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

OMG. Bad news x 2. The Wild card act returning for next week's show is the Pompeyo Family. More dogs.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Of all the damn acts to bring back... It is like these judges want to kill me

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Semi number 2!

Celine Tam - She's such a joy to watch. Her personality is just so so wonderful. Her voice may not be the absolute strongest in this competition, but she's only 9! She's a budding star. How can you not love her?

Colin Cloud - That was the most unbelievable trick that we have ever seen on this show. I just can't even begin to give an answer for this. My mind is completely boggled. He could not have stepped it up any better than this. He NEEDS his own show, NOW.

Christian Guardino - I think this was sadly a step down. Not a great song choice. Good, not great, and at this stage, you need to be great. Maybe it sounded better there.

In The Stairwell - I think they are really good at what they do. Really good. But it is not a million dollar Vegas show. I don't think the judges remember that not everyone gets to the finals. According to them, each of the first four acts are going through to the end.

Merrick Hannah - I never would have imagined a little boy doing the robot could get this far, but here he is. He's really talented and really likeable, and unique, and he was better than ever tonight. But again, there's only 5 spots, and I don't think what he does is enough to get him there. I wish him the best though, he seems like a really great, wonderful kid.

Mandy Harvey - How can she be this great when she can't hear herself to make sure her pitch is perfect? Which it always, always is. She is just absolutely freaking phenomenal. If anyone is pushing Darcy for the crown, it's Mandy.

Pompeo Dogs - The set was nice, the costumes were cute, but this was actually a step back, performance-wise. Maybe, perhaps, America was right to send them packing last time. Enough with the dogs already!

Diavolo - I don't think we've ever had so many tailor made Vegas shows in a single season. This was INCREDIBLE. I can't believe how great they are and the fit for this show is perfect. I think they could win. And we haven't even seen Light Balance yet. I think a lot of dreams are coming true this year, win or lose.

Kechi - She was great. Better last week, but great. It's a fantastic night and America has its work cut out for it choosing.

Light Balance - My jaw was on the floor for that entire performance. This feels like a finals. They are so unbelievably amazing. Howie said they are an amazing, headline, million dollar act. He's so right.

Angelica Hale - Wow. She is unbelievable. How can she go so big from such a tiny package? We have to compare them and I think she's better than Celine, vocally. Celine has the better stage presence and personality. Angelica is the better singer. Wow. How do we chose?

All I can say is that Christian, In The Stairwell, Merrick Hannah and Pompeo Dogs, SHOULD be in trouble. After that, two deserving acts will go home. I think Light Balance, Diavolo, Colin Cloud should all move on out of the non-singers. And if you have to pick between the singers, Jesus, how do you? Mandy for sure. Kechi and the two young girls, I mean, come on! Maybe Celine and ANgelica cancel each other out? But the voting structure is such that you can vote for everyone... Who the hell knows? This could have been a final, they were all that good.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I missed it last night because I went to watch the Dbacks lose in person. I am also going somewhere tonight. Here's hoping the dog act doesn't make it through this time.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Semi finals #2

Celine Tam - Loved the pre-performance package. So freakin' adorbs. I'm glad she finally sang something current (last year!, as opposed something pre-this millennium. I love her, yes, but I still like Angelica more. Given what else is on this show, I can't see them both moving on. God help the judges if the Judges' pick ends up being those two.

Colin Cloud - I would love to see him get his own show. I worry that his early placement and his having to be saved before will make it difficult for him to advance. But ... holy fucking wow. That was his best trick so far, by a mile.

Christian Guardino - Like you, I wasn't as blown as away as in the past. He's great and has a great story, but he's not as good as Kechi or Mandy and not as cute as Celine and Angelica. Among so many singers, I think he joins Yoli and Johnny on the bus home.

In the Stairwell - I didn't like them at first, but they grew on me. But, same as Christian, they're just not as good as the other singers. Still, if dogs can sway American voters, so can servicemen.

Merrick Hanna - I identify with him, a lot. I was not so different as a kid. Granted, I couldn't dance to save to save my life, but you're right. He's got a bright future ahead of him, but I can't see him moving on.

Mandy Harvey - The first act this night I've truly, truly loved. Like Simon said last time, she is going to make a difference. If no one signs her, you can bet Simon will do it himself. She deserves every measure of success she will get. But pushing Darci for the crown? Talent-wise, I agree, but a female singer over the age of 12 has never won this show. I see Finals for her for sure, Top 5 possibly, but not the win.

Pompeo Dogs - Yeah, whatev. America sent them home before, and I'm betting they'll do it again. Honestly, this act has so much more appeal than Sara & Hero; there's more dogs, the little girl is so adorable ... I'm still trying to figure out how last week even happened.

Diavolo - They definitely have more spectacle than any other act this year, even Light Balance. Don't know if it happened to you, but the Dogs somehow got spliced into this performance, really distracting. Hope that doesn't cost them votes, because they SO DESERVE them. Their props are just incredible.

Kechi Okwuchi - Kechi and Mandy, two great survival stories who have the talent to back it up. Whether Kechi wins or not, she's inspired so many people that it almost doesn't matter. This lady ain't fading into the sunset any time soon.

Light Balance - I have this to say. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Nuff said. If it's not Darci, I want them to win.

Angelica Hale - Totally agree. Celina is the better performer, Angelica is the better singer.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

We've never had a combination of talent/story in a female singer either, that's why I think she's got a real shot. She can't hear the words coming out of her mouth, yet she's pitch perfect every time. That is INCREDIBLE

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

No real surprises, thankfully. Mandy, Light Balance and Angelica were the top 3, Kechi got the Save, Diavolo got the judges. I'm ok with this. Colin should get a show somewhere anyway.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Yes. America got it absolutely right this time.

My "Las Vegas" odds to win it all next week:

Darci Lynn Farmer, 3-1
Light Balance, 4-1
Mandy Harvey, 6-1
Angelica Hale, 8-1
Preacher Lawson, 10-1

These are the only five acts who never needed "saving", either by the Dunkin Save or the Judges' vote.

Kechi, 12-1
Chase Goehring, 12-1
Diavolo, 15-1
Evie Clair, 20-1
Sara and Hero, 25-1 (okay, technically they never needed "saving" either, but Simon basically saved them during the auditions by convincing Mel B to change her vote)

What do you think?

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

One more show to decide it all. Bittersweet, really.

Angelica Hale - I don't think she will win, but damn if she didn't give it her best shot. She's an incredible singer, not just for a 10 year old, for anyone. I hope she gets a career out of this.

Chase Goehring - I have been his biggest fan from day one and nothing he's done has changed that. He looked nervous tonight, but he was still great. I absolutely think he's got a future. Great singer, great rapper, great song-writer. I think he's a big long-shot to win, but he's one that I'll cast votes for.

Sarah and Hero - They should have left her at the auditions and maybe she wouldn't be taking someone's spot tonight who actually deserves it.

Diavolo - They are amazing. One of the coolest acts we've ever seen. I think they have an uphill battle to win, based on last week's votes, but damn are they impressive. I'd be STUNNED if they didn't get a Vegas show or national tour from this, no matter what happens.

Evie Claire - It's sort of impossible to judge her tonight. It is remarkable that she even got up on that stage and sang. It was a beautiful performance, and I'm sure there weren't many dry eyes in the house. It's a good move putting Preacher up next.

Preacher Lawson - He has his act DOWN. Which is essential for a stand-up. He certainly has an audience and he's very good. I don't know if I'd pay to see his show, but I know many will. He'll be successful after this, for sure.

Kechi - Another great story, great performer, and great performance. I think she's behind Mandy, Chase and Angelica from a pure singer perspective, but she definitely belongs on that stage, she's not just a story.

Darci Lynne - There is no way she isn't winning this competition. That's really all there is to say. She can't lose.

Mandy Harvey - I love what Simon said. Put her story to the side, she is probably my favorite pure singer that I have EVER seen on this show, in all these years of watching. Not trying to be hyperbolic, I love her that much. Her voice is FLAWLESS. It's a crime she can't hear her own voice. Mel B's hair dye is seeping into her brain.

Light Balance - Every time I see these guys my jaw just literally drops. And again tonight, it hit the floor. I'd pay to see these guys in a second. Wow. There really are three acts who stand as a cut above the rest. Any one of them could have won, if they weren't competing against each other. My money is still on Darci Lynne though.

Ranked:

Darci Lynne
Light Balance
Mandy Harvey

Chase Goehring
Diavolo
Angelica Hale
Preacher Lawson

Kechi
Evie Claire

Sarah and Hero