America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here is a list of all the acts that at least got to say their names on air. Those that didn't, I will assume, either won't get through Vegas or we will be introduced to them later. I have categorized all the acts so far as best I can, and would love to hear your take on who your favorite is in each category, as well as who you HOPE will make Final Four, as well as who you THINK will make Final Four based on their auditions.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I will highlight the ones that I think have a shot at Top 20.

Musicians (no vocals)

William Close, 42 - This was the first audition of the season, the guy who tied strings to the balconies and played them. Very unique.
Jason Cordero, 13 - classical pianist
Sven - violinist

Musicians (solo singers)

Andrew DeLeon, 19 - Opera voice with Goth appearance. Could totally take this whole show.
Mary Joyner, 21 - Daughter of FloJo, is easily the best female solo singer this year.
Tim Hockenberry, 49 - The guy with the Jim Cocker-ish voice. Loved him.
Luiz Meneghin, 54 - Brazilian opera singer
Isaac Brown, 6 - Like a baby Michael Jackson, with a personality to match.
Jake Wesley Rogers - good looking young guy with guitar that the girls will love
Nikki Jensen - smoking hot girl, but need to see more
Edon Pinchot, 13 - the kid with the yarmulke
Charlie C, 40ish - bald guy with soulful voice
Mike Gregoria, 14 - cute Asian girl, but probably not memorable enough to make it past the first round
Ulysses, 49 - he could go farther if he sings actual music and not just TV jingles
Chris Levar - the jerk who totally "improvised" his rap about the judges
Burton Crane, 77 - Whatcha gonna do?
Big Barry, 70 - If he makes it past Vegas, I will heave.

Musicians (duets)

Maurice and Shanice Hayes, 62 and 18 - great duet, but probably not good enough to make Top 10.
Eric and Olivia, 20 - Olivia needs to kill it in Vegas (and possibly ditch Eric) to make it on this show.
Jorge and Alexa Nevarez, 25 and 7 - more cute than talented.

Musicians (bands)

Distinguished Men of Brass - Talented, memorable, and different. And a class act.
Wordspit & The Illest - A different enough fusion of genres to stand out.
El Charro de Oro - They won't make Top 10, but the kid-led mariachi band will be a crowd favorite.
Ivy Rose Band - Need to hear more.
Emily Anne Band - Don't even remember them.

Dancers (solo or duet)

Turf, 21 - also a contortionist. It will come down to him and Stepz.
Steps, 22 - can they both make Top 20? It's possible.
Lindsey Norton, 16 - she's sweet enough to make the show, but with so many dance acts...
Lil Starr, 6 - I'll have to see what else she has in her repertoire.
The Scott Brothers - I don't care how good your robot is, it can't be watched for more than a minute.
B-Boy Elusive - forgot him already.

Dancers (dance crews)

The Untouchables - They're a known commodity, and they dance ballroom and not hip-hop.
All That - cloggers from Season One. They are pros at this genre.
787 Crew - Puerto Rican crew. They have more flair than most of the other hip-hop crews.
Boss (shirtless contemporary dancers)
New York Irish Dance Company (mask-wearing jiggers)
Inspire the Fire
Unity in Motion
Funk Beyond Control
Elements Dance Cru
Stick and Move Dance Crew
Loyalty Dance Crew
Lisa Clark Dancers
Clog Academy

Acrobatic Acts

Bandbaz Brothers, 34 and 58 - This year's Rudi Macaggi.
Donovan and Rebecca, 44 and 36 - Acrobalance duo.
Martial Arts Line Dance Studios - mixing dance with martial arts
Amazing Elizabeth, 7 - aerial silks
Summer Lacey - aerial chains
Max - aerialist

Danger Acts

Spencer Horsman, 26 - escape artist with the potential to go far.
All Wheels Sports - cheerleading, stunt biking and trampolining... a lot going on!
American BMX Stunt Team - stunt bikers do well on this show, so will this act.
David "Bullet" Smith - Prof. Splash made top 20, can the human cannonball? Hope not.
Ben Blaque, 33 - crossbow artist. Bit of a wild card.
Horse - the "whacked repeatedly in the nuts" guy (who I just happened to see trying out for American Ninja Warrior)
The Flyte Cru - basketball slam-dunk show

Comedians

Dave Burleigh - Did the impression of Nic Cage, Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson. Loved him.
Tom Cotter - Very funny guy. Did the jokes about the Green Berets/Girl Scouts.
Granny G - Rapping granny/comedienne... is novel enough to make it one round, but not two
Jacob WIlliams - Will see if his youth trips him up.
Kellen Erskine - Told one mildly funny joke, and that's all we saw
John Pizzi - did the shtick where he showed the judges cartoon faces on screen and ventriloquized them.

Magicians

Jonathan Hawley - Great illusionist
Taylor Reed - Made the motorcycle appear
Jarrett & Raja - magic with piano accompaniment

Variety/Artistic Acts

Olate Dogs - Best animal act that will EVER be on this show.
Light Wire Theater - Yeah, they are a total ripoff of Team iLuminate, but the crowd will eat it up.
Aurora Light Painters - Novel and cool... this season's Kinetic King.
Eric Dittelman - mind reader. Another wild card.
Joe Castillo - sand artist
David Garibaldi and his CMYKs - rapid-fire painting with rock-and-roll background music. Will have to see what they do next.
Oleysa Gulevic - hula-hooper. Sexy, but not special.
Ganbataar Contortion Sisters - see above.
Mike Price - juggler. Whatever.
Cut Throat Freak Show and Eric Odditorium - please, dear God, no.

And then, of course, there's the YouTube auditions.

Based on what I've seen, I think the Top Four should be:

Andrew DeLeon
Mary Joyner
Olate Dogs
Tim Hockenberry

Who I think it WILL be? Andrew and Mary for sure. Beyond that...

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I liked the little girl, FloJo's daughter, and the dancers who made it extremely clear that they were from PUERTO RICO!!!!! (Seriously how many times did they say it, 75 in a 5 minute segment?)

I'll make some comments tomorrow on the pre-Vegas acts, but to be honest, it all kinda blends together. I have most likely forgotten most of the acts by now, and would be better at analyzing chances AFTER the Vegas round. I'll comment on the ones that I do remember though.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Musicians (no vocals)

William Close, 42 - This was the first audition of the season, the guy who tied strings to the balconies and played them. Very unique.
Jason Cordero, 13 - classical pianist
Sven - violinist
I think the top two will make it past Vegas, and Will Close won't even have to perform again. He'll be an automatic.

Andrew DeLeon, 19 - Opera voice with Goth appearance. Could totally take this whole show.
Mary Joyner, 21 - Daughter of FloJo, is easily the best female solo singer this year.
Tim Hockenberry, 49 - The guy with the Jim Cocker-ish voice. Loved him.
Luiz Meneghin, 54 - Brazilian opera singer
Isaac Brown, 6 - Like a baby Michael Jackson, with a personality to match.
Jake Wesley Rogers - good looking young guy with guitar that the girls will love
Nikki Jensen - smoking hot girl, but need to see more
Edon Pinchot, 13 - the kid with the yarmulke
Charlie C, 40ish - bald guy with soulful voice
Mike Gregoria, 14 - cute Asian girl, but probably not memorable enough to make it past the first round
Ulysses, 49 - he could go farther if he sings actual music and not just TV jingles
Chris Levar - the jerk who totally "improvised" his rap about the judges
Burton Crane, 77 - Whatcha gonna do?
Big Barry, 70 - If he makes it past Vegas, I will heave.
I agree that the ones you highlighted should go far, with the possible exception of Tim. the others range from "potential but just need to see more" to "novelty act that should be cut in Vegas." I think Andrew is my personal favorite to win.
Maurice and Shanice Hayes, 62 and 18 - great duet, but probably not good enough to make Top 10.
Eric and Olivia, 20 - Olivia needs to kill it in Vegas (and possibly ditch Eric) to make it on this show.
Jorge and Alexa Nevarez, 25 and 7 - more cute than talented.
I liked the last pairing more than you did. I want to see them again. Eric and Olivia may make it, but I could easily see them being cut. The Hayes group are phenomenal and should go far.
Musicians (bands)

Distinguished Men of Brass - Talented, memorable, and different. And a class act.
Wordspit & The Illest - A different enough fusion of genres to stand out.
El Charro de Oro - They won't make Top 10, but the kid-led mariachi band will be a crowd favorite.
Ivy Rose Band - Need to hear more.
Emily Anne Band - Don't even remember them.
Love Wordspit and think they absolutely have the most potential of this grouping. The top 3 here should make it past Vegas, the other two probably not.
Dancers (solo or duet)

Turf, 21 - also a contortionist. It will come down to him and Stepz.
Steps, 22 - can they both make Top 20? It's possible.
Lindsey Norton, 16 - she's sweet enough to make the show, but with so many dance acts...
Lil Starr, 6 - I'll have to see what else she has in her repertoire.
The Scott Brothers - I don't care how good your robot is, it can't be watched for more than a minute.
B-Boy Elusive - forgot him already.
I think both pop-lockers will make the show. They will leave it up to the audience from there. I'd like to see what else the Scott Brothers bring. They will definitely bring the 6 year old along, she's SO DAMN LOVEABLE.

As for the dancers, there are just so many of them that they blend together. Let's see who gets through Vegas and then maybe they'll become more memorable.
Bandbaz Brothers, 34 and 58 - This year's Rudi Macaggi.
Donovan and Rebecca, 44 and 36 - Acrobalance duo.
Martial Arts Line Dance Studios - mixing dance with martial arts
Amazing Elizabeth, 7 - aerial silks
Summer Lacey - aerial chains
Max - aerialist
I remember the top one, the rest, I have already forgotten.
Spencer Horsman, 26 - escape artist with the potential to go far.
All Wheels Sports - cheerleading, stunt biking and trampolining... a lot going on!
American BMX Stunt Team - stunt bikers do well on this show, so will this act.
David "Bullet" Smith - Prof. Splash made top 20, can the human cannonball? Hope not.
Ben Blaque, 33 - crossbow artist. Bit of a wild card.
Horse - the "whacked repeatedly in the nuts" guy (who I just happened to see trying out for American Ninja Warrior)
The Flyte Cru - basketball slam-dunk show
Spencer will definitely get through. So will the canonball. Ben Blaque needs to step it up. Horse won't make the show despite how impressive his act is. I hope the b-ballers get sent packing. Don't remember the others.
Comedians

Dave Burleigh - Did the impression of Nic Cage, Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson. Loved him.
Tom Cotter - Very funny guy. Did the jokes about the Green Berets/Girl Scouts.
Granny G - Rapping granny/comedienne... is novel enough to make it one round, but not two
Jacob WIlliams - Will see if his youth trips him up.
Kellen Erskine - Told one mildly funny joke, and that's all we saw
John Pizzi - did the shtick where he showed the judges cartoon faces on screen and ventriloquized them.
I want Tom Cotter to make the top 10. He's got the best comedic chops of anyone who has ever been on this show. Guy is legit and I'd pay to see him do an hour tomorrow. Please cut Pizzi. I like Jacob Williams, but he was clearly very nervous. If he settles down and realizes he's actually funny, watch out. Granny G will get old very fast. I liked Dave too, but let's see if he takes the advice of Howard or not.

Serious lack of quality magicians this year, and that bums me out. Maybe we'll see something in Vegas we didn't before.
Olate Dogs - Best animal act that will EVER be on this show.
Light Wire Theater - Yeah, they are a total ripoff of Team iLuminate, but the crowd will eat it up.
Aurora Light Painters - Novel and cool... this season's Kinetic King.
Eric Dittelman - mind reader. Another wild card.
Joe Castillo - sand artist
David Garibaldi and his CMYKs - rapid-fire painting with rock-and-roll background music. Will have to see what they do next.
Oleysa Gulevic - hula-hooper. Sexy, but not special.
Ganbataar Contortion Sisters - see above.
Mike Price - juggler. Whatever.
Cut Throat Freak Show and Eric Odditorium - please, dear God, no.
Those dogs were certainly a cut above every other animal act ever. They should take their act on the road if they don't go far here. Light Wire really pisses me off still. I am still freaking confused by the light painters. I loved the mind reader, but can he do anything else? If he can, then I LOVE his chances to go far. Also loved the two artist acts. This is generally my favorite grouping. After these it falls off a cliff, the others have no shot.

My top 4:
Andrew DeLeon
Luiz Meneghin
Tom Cotter
Isaac Brown

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

You missed the female singers... you don't think Mary Joyner has a shot?

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Sure, she's got a shot, but this show seems to really be more tilted towards male singers. She's ok, but I don't think she could have held her own against anyone in the top five of this year's Idol crop, and on this show she has to compete against a lot more acts. I need to wait and see more.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

VEGAS WEEK

Monday

First off, the 100+ acts were divided into three groups by the judges. Group A, the "favorites", would perform first because they felt that they had the strongest shot at going to the live shows.

Group B were the "standbys", who would have to wait their turn and then compete for whatever spots remained after the favorites had gone.

Group C were told they were not performing and would be sent home on the spot. At first I thought that meant that they were automatically cut, but then I thought(after Olate Dogs couldn't find their names) that it meant that they were put through to the live shows without any further ado. Turns out I was right on both counts.

(An asterisk next to their name means we didn't see their auditions.)

Group A included:
787 Crew
All Beef Patty
Andrew DeLeon
Ben Blaque
El Charro de Oro
Isaac Brown

Group B included:
Emily Ann Band
Giani*, magician
Jarrett & Raja
Jonathan Hawley
Serengeti Steve*, reptile handler

Group C included:
Bandbaz Brothers (sent home)
Charlie C (sent home)
Ivy Rose Band (sent home)

David "Bullet" Smith (put through)
Olate Dogs (put through)
William Close (put through)

First up from Group A were the danger acts. (Don't you just love watching the contestants watching their competition? The reaction shots are awesome.)

All Wheels Sports - meh.
American BMX Stunt Team - a much better act than AWS, but that one mishap may cost them.
New Guard America - I admire the military precision that they employ, but it's basically just juggling with crewcuts.
Cristin Sandu - This kid is amazing.
Ben Blaque - Very impressive. That blonde chick's got nerves of steel.

Next up were the female singers.

Mary Joyner - Blew it big time, but she should still make the show.
Roxy Doll* - Wasn't impressed.
Brianna Price* - Ditto.
Cecilia Detwiler* - Not bad, but not great either.
Luna* - Godawful. (Sent home immediately.)
Nikki Jensen - This was the hot girl you didn't remember, Geez. Loved her voice, esp. the Aussie twang. The only one that didn't crack.

After that were the dance acts.

Funk Beyond Control - quite liked the face/body paint and animal prints.
All That - totally in sync. Should make it.
Loyalty Dance Team - not bad, seemed to hit all their marks, but the judges weren't impressed.
787 Crew - had better stuff than LDT, but that one mishap may cost them.

Weird that this was the only four of the plethora of dance acts that passed the auditions. Makes me wonder. A lot.

Then we had the variety/novelty acts.

Horse - It was fun once, but "Ow! My Balls!" is not a Vegas show.
All Beef Patty - I think this should be in the singers category, but whatever he/she's got great pipes.
Joe Castillo - Totally original. Would love to see him make it.
Todd Oliver & Irving - The guy with the pug with the prosthetic mouth. I hate the concept, but I have to admit, he was pretty good.
Light Wire Theater - This looked EXACTLY THE SAME as their audition, with one or two tweaks.
Aurora Light Painters - You may not get them, Geez, but I love them. At least they're original, unlike LWT.

Then there were the classical singers.

Simply Sergio - I fast-forwarded past this guy's audition, it was so awful, I just assumed he didn't make it. He's got a decent voice, but forgetting the words to your song is no-no. Then he lies about forgetting the lyrics and tries to cover it up by saying he was sick. What a schmo.
Luiz Meneghin - He looked the part singing opera in a tux, but he was definitely off-key in a couple of spots. Think he'll still get through.
Andrew DeLeon - He needed another big moment, but choked. Hopefully the judges will forgive him.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

This is probably my favorite part of the competition. and holy shit what a crazy night,

All Wheels Sports - meh.
American BMX Stunt Team - I'm just over BMX on this show. It's all been done.
New Guard America - what you said.
Cristin Sandu - Wow dude, I don't know what else he can do, but damn that was impressive.
Ben Blaque - meh, I don't think its enough

Next up were the female singers.

Mary Joyner - I don't know if she'll make it. She was terrible and the judges were harsh.
Roxy Doll* - Wasn't impressed.
Brianna Price* - Ditto.
Cecilia Detwiler* - Not bad, but not great either.
Luna* - Godawful. (Sent home immediately.)
Nikki Jensen - I'll remember her now, damn. You were right, she is on fire hot. And she was the only one that didn't suck.

After that were the dance acts.

Funk Beyond Control - I missed this one.
All That - Definitely should move on, impressive.
Loyalty Dance Team - nBorinhg.
787 Crew - I still think they get through.

There have to be more coming in the next couple days. I bet a ton were on standby because its so hard to separate them.

Then we had the variety/novelty acts.

Horse - I liked it more the second time around!!!!!!!! It cracks me up, and I'm not usually a fan of this type of stuff. I think him and his buddies have great chemistry.
All Beef Patty - I agree, but I don't think the judges liked it.
Joe Castillo - Which one was he?
Todd Oliver & Irving - I can't stand him, sorry.
Light Wire Theater - That's what I said! Only it actually looked worse than their audition.
Aurora Light Painters - I think I'm having a "this must be better in person and just doesn't translate well to television" thing going on with them, because I still don't quite get it"

Simply Sergio - See you later. I'm surprised he wasn't sent packing instantly.
Luiz Meneghin -He better still get through. Too much talent and story here not to give him another shot.
Andrew DeLeon - HE STARTED SO GOOD!!! Ugh it just killed me to see him stop. He has more talent than anyone in this competition, just go out there and show it kid!!!!!!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Joe Castillo was the sand artist. He's awesome.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Oh yeah, I just didn't remember the name. I love him.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

First, after I watched Monday's episode again, I found it a bit puzzling that of over 100 acts, they chose to only send three acts home immediately. I mean, I'm sure that the Bandbaz Brothers, Ivy Rose and Charlie C wouldn't have won, but to dismiss only them and keep ridiculous acts like Big Barry, Burton Crane and Chris Levar around? Sheesh. Those three "singers" combined don't have the talent or appeal of any of the acts that were sent home. But I digress.

VEGAS WEEK (TUESDAY)

Up first were the magicians/illusionists/mentalists:

Eric Dittelman - I love this guy. I don't know HOW he does it, but he is SO what this show is about.
Taylor Reed - I think this was the magician I was the most impressed with during the auditions, and I can see why. I mean, making a (mini) helicopter appear from nowhere? That's damned impressive.
Justin Rivera - A good trick, but would have been better if the cracks hadn't shown (Eric saw it!).
Spencer Horsman - When he dropped the lock-pick, I thought it had all gone pear-shaped, but that was obviously part of the suspense. Very well done, kid.

I think all of the above (except Justin) should make the show. Can't really see them putting through any more magic acts from the standbys.

Next up were the vocal duets.

Eric and Olivia - Olivia's got a great voice (and she didn't crack), but I maintain that she doesn't need Eric. I also wish she had chosen a song that hadn't been done a million times on every singing show ever.
Maurice and Shanice Hayes - They were in sync, and I applaud them for doing something more bluesy and up-tempo, but I'm on the fence as to whether they're good enough for the show... yeah, I've come down a little on them. I agree with the judges; just like Olivia, Shanice needs to be a solo act.
Jorge and Alexa Alvarez - Good as a duo, but she was clearly nervous (not one smile during the song). I still think this act has more cuteness than actual talent.

Following this were the comedians. It's nice that they let the standby acts be in the audience so there's someone besides the judges to tell the jokes to!

Jacob Williams - He brought it. His droll delivery perfectly matches his image.
Sammy Obeid* - Liked his one joke; doubt it's enough.
Dave Burleigh - Like him. Does a mean Walken.
Kellen Erskine - We've seen him twice, and gotten two jokes total. Not enough to form an opinion.
Tom Cotter - This guy is HYSTERICAL. Every joke made me laugh out loud. Easily the best comedian of the season. He's a real pro.
Frank Roche (aka Bad Nicholson guy) - Horrible. A complete train wreck. All that was missing was the crickets chirping.

Up next were the child (or child-led) acts. I think it's so cool that Isaac and Sebastian became buds.

Sebastian "El Charro de Oro" - Kid's an AMAZING singer (and he's fearless), but let's face it, it's only cool because he's a kid. If he were a grown-up, we'd look at it the way most gringos look at Mexican music.
Isaac Brown - I didn't like this as much as his audition, but he's cute and he's fierce and there's no way they're not putting him through.
The Untouchables - The clear favorites of all the teen and preteen dance groups.
Amazing Elizabeth - She's the only child "danger" act, and that might be enough. Otherwise, nothing special.
Edon - I guess the yarmulke is staying. Kid's uber-talented, but this is a very crowded category.

Following this were the male (non-classical) singers. This is the category that tends to spawn the winner.

Ulysses - Okay, I appreciate the novelty of a guy who sings classic TV theme songs. Not sure it's a headline act, but definitely good for a lounge somewhere.
Daniel Park* - Wish we'd seen his audition... very good voice.
Jake Wesley Rogers - I like this kid. He looks like the love child of Elvis Costello and Morrissey, but his voice is unique.
Tim Poe - Wow. I never expected to see this guy on TV again. He was great, but who gives a rat's ass. At least they edited out the back-story.
Tim Hockenberry - Great voice, great story, great song choice. I hear Joe Cocker and Ray Charles so clearly in his voice. He's the clear front-runner in this category. Which means he could win the show.

This would appear to have concluded the Judges' Favorites group. I didn't think we were going to get any results today, but there were. Here goes.

In:

Olate Dogs
William Close
David "Bullet" Smith
Tom Cotter
Jacob Williams
Sebastian "El Charro de Oro"
Edon
The Untouchables
Nikki Jensen
787 Crew
All That!
Tim Hockenberry
Jake Wesley Rogers
Ulysses
Maurice & Shanice Hayes
Eric & Olivia
Eric Dittelman
Spencer Horsman
Joe Castillo
Aurora Light Painters
Light Wire Theater
All Beef Patty
All Wheels Sports
American BMX Stunt Team
Ben Blaque
Cristin Sandu
Todd Oliver & Irving
Horse (wow... just... wow)

Out:

Jorge & Alexa Nevarez
Dave Burleigh
Kellen Erskine
Sammy Obeid
Loyalty Dance Team
Amazing Elizabeth
Isaac Brown (wow, this shocks me)
Tim Poe (hmm... if this took place before the lie came out, I am very surprised)
Daniel Park
Roxy Doll
Brianna Price
Cecilia Detwiler
Mary Joyner (damn, she HAD it, but she just blew it)
Funk Beyond Control
Taylor Reed
Justin Rivera
New Guard America
Simply Sergio
Luiz Meneghin
Andrew De Leon (Fuck. Fuck. FUCK!!!)

I am willing to bet money that Andrew will be back on the Wild Card show. I pray that happens. Mary too. I can only hope that in the interim, Andrew doesn't do something drastic like lock himself in his room. If I had to predict, I would guess that Isaac, Dave Burleigh, Taylor Reed and possibly Luiz will be back too.

So, if I got everyone, that means 28 of 48 spots are filled. Tomorrow the Standbys will perform for those last spots.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I'm amazed that neither Turf nor Stepz were in the Judges' Favorites. I fully expect one or both to move on tomorrow, along with:

Wordspit & The Illest
Distinguished Men of Brass
Jason Cordero
David Garibaldi & his CMYK's
Jonathan Hawley
Lil Starr (though if Isaac didn't make it...)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Eric Dittelman - LOVED IT. He could win.
Taylor Reed - I think these tricks are just, I don't know, kinda boring. Not enough suspense or build up, and once you've seen one giant thing appear out of nowhere, you've seen EVERY giant thing appear out of nowhere.
Justin Rivera - He sucked.
Spencer Horsman - I can never tell if he is milking the clock for suspense, or really just cutting it that close. I have to assume the former, and if that is the case, damn this kid is good.

Eric and Olivia - I liked the audition better, this just wasn't that great.
Maurice and Shanice Hayes - Felt the same about them as I did about Eric and Olivia.
Jorge and Alexa Alvarez - Agreed, she was way too nervous and the act relies too much on cuteness.

Jacob Williams - I like him a lot.
Sammy Obeid* - Meh, I don't think there's much to like, personally.
Dave Burleigh - I liked him too, he is a very good impressionist.
Kellen Erskine - Can't say I was a fan.
Tom Cotter - I hope he wins, or at least makes the final four. The BEST Comedian this show has ever seen.
Frank Roche (aka Bad Nicholson guy) - Bad first joke and then just stopped... wow, has he ever done comedy before?

Sebastian "El Charro de Oro" - Agree. He is great, but America won't vote for this.
Isaac Brown - Well, you were wrong.... And I'm not happy about it.
The Untouchables - Ditto.
Amazing Elizabeth - Yeah, I'm not particularly sold either.
Edon - I like him a lot. I think if he brings it in the live shows, he can go far.

Ulysses - I like him, he's got a niche and it works.
Daniel Park* - I don't remember which one he was.
Jake Wesley Rogers -I like him, but don't know if he can go far.
Tim Poe - Yeah I was surprised he was back too, and I almost didn't recognize him without the backstory. They obviously sent him home because of the controversy.
Tim Hockenberry - Yeah, he could definitely win the show.

On to the important part: The results!

I'm pissed off that they booted out Isaac, Andrew and Luiz for some tired ass BMX shows and a mechanically mouthed dog. Otherwise I'm not too upset with who got sent home and who moved on. I actually completely forgot about the Wild Card Show, which gives me more hope, because Andrew needs to be back on this show and you know they will bring him back for that.

They made some pretty harsh cuts, but that opens up more spots for acts tomorrow. I wonder if they are going to regret that....

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

So..... Big Barry got through and the likes of Andrew, Luiz and Stepz don't. I don't want to live on this planet anymore. He was CRINGE-WORTHY.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

VEGAS WEEK (Wednesday)

They said that 150+ acts made it to Vegas. 28 were put through, 23 were sent home. That left roughly 100 acts fighting for 20 spots. I only had names for just over 1/3 of them, so I anticipate we'll be seeing a lot of these acts for the first (and likely last) time.

Up first were the magicians.

(Jonathan) Hawley Magic - Loved the levitating trick, especially when he levitated himself as well as his assistant. Given that the only acts in this category that made it through yesterday were a mind-reader and an escapist, I would love to see at least one illusionist make it through.
Giani - The spelling error notwithstanding, an interesting trick. Eric D. did it with more flair, though.
Jarrett & Raja - Wow. They totally blue their audition trick out of the water. Great illusion. I loved it.

Up next were the bands. I figured at least two would make it, given that the mariachi band was the only one to make it through yesterday.

The All Ways - I liked them, but I can't see mainstream America backing them.
Wordspit, The Illest! - It's such an interesting mix of styles, but that's a double-edged sword, as they walk a razor's edge between fusion and discordance. I was worried, but I think they pulled it off.
The HillBenders* - Didn't see them before, didn't care for them, won't miss them when they're gone.
Dillon Havins and Friends* - A rock band of grown-ups with a kid lead singer is different. Dillon's got gumption, but I think his voice needs more seasoning.
The Emily Anne Band - I like the lead singer's voice (I know you don't), but the music doesn't blow my skirt up.
Distinguished Men of Brass - I LOVED this. They got style, rhythm, funk, and chutzpah. Totally made for this show.

Next, the danger acts.

LionDanceMe - Basically the same as their audition, but without the stumble. The judges loved it, and I wish I'd seen more of it.
Cliff's Demo Team* - A bunch of little kids beating up on their instructor? Pass.
Kota Sports - Same as Team BMX, but with scooters. I think I like this better, because the size of the bikes means they require less room. Plus, they made no mistakes.
Serengeti Steve - This was the guy who put the scorpion in his mouth. Guy's got balls, but I couldn't watch this for more than two minutes.

After that were the child acts.

Lil Babywockee - A mini-popper? I wonder if her audition was in the hour that never got aired because of the NHL finals. She's very good, but her by herself is not enough. Now, if she could get a half dozen other girls her age to do it with her? THAT would be an act.
Lil Starr - You just know it would come down to one "Lil" or the other. I favor her, because she's got more range, more diversity, and more showmanship.
Danielle Stallings* - Holy shit. AMAZING. This girl brought it in exactly the same way Mary Joyner didn't. Bravo!
The Cos Fam* - Not bad, but not good enough.
Tevin McGuire* - Another great singer in the kid category. Yikes, this is a tough category!
Unity in Motion - I might have said yes, but they made one or two slip-ups, and that's enough to put them out.
The Williams Bruthuz - This was the duo that dressed like the Hamburglar. Could this be a Vegas show? I don't know, but I was quite entertained by them. I wouldn't have known they messed up if they hadn't said anything.

After that was the acrobatic acts.

Summer Lacy - It's just so hard for one lone performance artist to impress me. This didn't. There's just no spectacle.
Ben Mendoza Circus - I actually liked this, but it's tough to determine just how coherent is was when we only got a small portion of it. As it was, it looked a little disjointed.
Donovan and Rebecca - Graceful, elegant, strong as hell. Loved it.

Then there were the "rappers".

Rob Hayes* - seems to be the only legit rapper in the bunch.
Chris Levar aka "The Rhymatist" - Hated his "improvised" audition, hated this even more.
Svet - Rap and violin? I'm intrigued. Guy's got skillz.
Granny G - Ahhh! My eyes!!
Burton Crane - He had his moment in his audition. Moment's over.

Then came the plethora of dance crews. They're so hard to distinguish from each other.

Battle Born* - no.
Old Shoes, New Shoes* - no.
Lisa Clark Dancers - maybe.
The Scott Brothers - loved the Beethoven outfits, but no.
Inspire the Fire - Considering three of them were sick or injured, they were very showy. Yes.

There were a lot more dance acts than this, but since they weren't shown, I guess they didn't make it.

Following this were the novelty/variety/artistic acts.

David Garibaldi and his CMYKs - Rock and roll extreme painting. It's SO this show.
John Pizzi - Not the least bit funny. And such an ass-kisser.
Michael Nejad - Lady Gaga on the autoharp? I actually liked it.
Rock Star Juggler Mike Price - It was fantastic. But it's juggling.
The Two Bits - The very old tap dancers... no thanks.
Big Barry - Fuck no times infinity.

And then came the highly anticipated showdown between Turf and Stepz. How ironic that they know each other already.

Lindsey Norton - She's amazing, but this isn't the show for her. She should have waited a year and tried out for SYTYCD.
John "B-Boy Elusive" Vineyard - Very good, but I've seen better.
Stepz - I liked his audition better, but I love his attitude.
Turf - Man, his contortions are CRAZY. He may not win, but I think he deserves a shot. He's SO intense.

Now, given what I saw - and I am typing this BEFORE I found out who made it through - here are the 20 acts I would have put through.

Jarrett & Raja
Hawley Magic
Wordspit, The Illest!
Distinguished Men of Brass
LionDanceMe
Kota Sports
Lil Starr
Danielle Stallings
Tevin McGuire
Donovan and Rebecca
Rob Hayes
Svet