America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Shrykespeare »

Agreed. I think the show should change the format such that the best YouTube acts are invited to VEGAS, not the live shows. At this point in the competition, acts have gone home that were better than 3/4 of what we saw tonight. Besides, it would help those few that are worthy overcome the extreme handicap of America never having seen them before they are susceptible to viewer votes.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Completely agree. Makes a lot more sense to me.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Further brainstorming.... if they do away with the YouTube show, they could adjust the format even further. For the first four QF shows, they could take the top 5 of 12, and then the top 4 from the Wild Card show. That way they could keep the semis at 24 acts.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

That was my first thought. Then my second thought was, there is no way in hell they would shorten the season and lose a week of ad revenue.

Also, did you hear that sharon is leaving after the season?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I did hear that. Which sucks, but hey, she's been doing it for six seasons, that's long enough to merit the option to move on.

And damn, are we good? We pegged the Top 3/Top 5 precisely. Academy of Villains, Bria Kelly and The Magic of Puck got the viewer votes, and the judges were left to decide between Drew Irwin and Clint Carvalho, with the nod going to Clint.

Also, it was announced who the 12 Wild Card acts were. The * denotes that they were cut in Vegas.

Howard's Picks:
Ben Blaque
Horse
Spencer Horsman
Todd Oliver & Irving

Sharon's Picks:
All That!
Lindsey Norton
The Bandbaz Brothers*
Jake Wesley Rogers

Howie's Picks:
Jarrett and Raja
Sebastian "El Charro de Oro"
Cristin Sandu
Andrew De Leon*

First reaction: it's awesome that they brought the Bandbaz Brothers back, they were one of the acts that got cut as soon as they arrived in Vegas. They and Andrew were the only ones cut in Vegas to be brought back. I'm a little surprised that neither Mary Joyner nor Danielle Stallings made it through in favor of Jake Wesley. I am extremely surprised that Jarrett and Raja were brought back in favor of Hawley Magic, but thank God he didn't bring Big Barry back. And I really didn't want Horse back.

Who I think will move on from this show, assuming they don't choke badly:
Spencer Horsman
Sebastian "El Charro De Oro"
Andrew De Leon
either All That! or Lindsay Norton

Who I hope will move on:
Andrew De Leon
Sebastian "El Charro De Oro"
Spencer Horsman
either All That! or Cristin Sandu

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I'm actually quite shocked at the picks. They added 7 of the acts I would have brought back, plus the Bandaz brothers who I'm happy about. But Horse shouldn't be back. Neither should Ben Blaque, Tod and Irving, or Jarett and Raja. It's as if they didn't want to make it too hard on America. there were some seriously more deserving acts. I'm absolutely pissed that Howard chose to bring back 3 out of his 4 choices over someone like Wordspit.

These are copied from the last page, the 12 I had chosen before.

All That! (already a guarantee)
Andrew De Leon
Lindsey Norton
Wordspit and the Illest
Cristin Sandu
Spencer Horseman
Danielle Stallings
Jake Wesley Rogers
Stepz
Hawley Magic
Sebastian
Mary Joyner

As for who I think:

Spencer Horseman, All That!, Sebastian and Andrew De Leon. The Bandaz Bros and Cristin Sandu are wild cards, because they can be really good if they don't screw up.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Wild Card Show

Spencer Horsman (HS) - Great trick, so much better than his last one. I think he's got a great shot, but going first may end up coming back to bite him. Still, if he ends up facing the judges' decision, he could easily move on, especially given that the only "danger" acts to get through so far have been All Wheel Sports and Donovan & Rebecca.

All That! (SO) - I don't know, this just wasn't as good as previous performances. The silhouettes in the back were more of a distraction than a help, and the fact that they promised more sexiness and only made one guy shirtless. It was good, but it wasn't enough.

Jarrett & Raja (HM) - Wow, this was SOOOOO much better than their lame last trick. Fantastic illusion. Not unlike a few tricks I've seen on this show in seasons past, but a truly worthy illusion. Enough to contend? Maybe...

Jake Wesley Rogers (SO) - Well, he's a good looking kid, and he's got a future, but between him and Andrew, who was America more likely to vote for anyway?

Cristin Sandu (HM) - Great act, and it sucks that he fell so close to the end. You could just see his frustration. Glad he got his second chance.

Todd Oliver (HS) - To his credit, it was funnier than his previous shtick. I actually laughed a few times, which is more than I ever did before.

The Bandbaz Brothers (SO) - HOW were these guys dismissed from Vegas without even a second performance? I mean, how? What an amazing feat of strength. LOVED them.

Sebastien "El Charro de Oro" (HM) - Very smart move, singing a classic song Mariachi style. Viewers will love his voice, especially now that they can understand the lyrics.

Horse (HS) - Fast-forwarded through it. I just can't take any more of this clown.

Lindsey Norton (SO) - I love her, and there is no denying she'll have an amazing career in dance, but there was no "wow" moment for me this time like there was last time.

Andrew De Leon (HM) - I honestly didn't hear any shriekiness, and belive me, I was listening. I am so happy for him. There was no sign of nerves, no missed notes, no reason to believe he won't be moving on.

Ben Blaque (HS) - A great trick. Yes, there was only one, but that complex a trick commands a full 90 seconds. I loved it.

So tough to pick. I believe that Andrew and Sebastien are locks. Beyond that, anything could happen. I'd love to see the Bandbaz Brothers and Spencer Horsman move on, not to mention Jarrett & Raja, but I can't totally count out Lindsey or Todd.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Spencer Horsman (HS) - Completely agree with your analysis.

All That! (SO) - Not enough. Tonight was a TOUGH night. They don't have a shot.

Jarrett & Raja (HM) - Very very good. Loved the trick and performed flawlessly.

Jake Wesley Rogers (SO) - Nope, still didn't do it for me. Such a shame because he's got talent.

Cristin Sandu (HM) - I don't care that he didn't finish it, that was amazing. I love the guy, but he needs to be a small piece of a bigger act, not the whole show.

Todd Oliver (HS) - I fast-forwarded through his act. Nothing he could have said could have changed my mind.

The Bandbaz Brothers (SO) - SO FREAKING AWESOME. I don't know how that was even possible. Really hope they move on.

Sebastien "El Charro de Oro" (HM) - Easily my favorite performance from him. Loved it.

Horse (HS) - Much better than his last performance. Not great compared to the other acts, but some really decent stunts and I laughed.

Lindsey Norton (SO) - She's adorable and talented, but just not going to cut it tonight.

Andrew De Leon (HM) - They loved him, the audience loved him, and I wanted to love him. But his voice sounded very shreeky. I did not think the song choice was great and I wasn't all that impressed this time around. Must have been better live.

Ben Blaque (HS) - I'm not impressed. All he did was set up a rig and hit one target.

So after watching, I can't call it. The acts that I think have a good shot are:

Spencer Horseman
Jarrett and Raja
The Bandaz Brothers
Sebastian
Andrew De Leon

But I have no idea which one is going home out of the 5. Plus The judges actually loved Todd, which pisses me off, because he might steal a spot from someone deserving.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

The Bandbaz Brothers (SO) - HOW were these guys dismissed from Vegas without even a second performance? I mean, how? What an amazing feat of strength. LOVED them.
I have to imagine they knew they were using them in the wild card show right from the get-go. That is the only explanation.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Just to put something on record to see how good I am, I am going to say The Bandaz Brothers get the short end of the stick, and the other 4 I mentioned above move on.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, Geez, you were WAY off. Spencer, the Bandbaz Brothers, Ben Blaque AND Jarrett & Raja were snubbed.

The top three ended up being Andrew, Sebastien and Todd Oliver. The judges had to choose, ironically, between two of Sharon's picks, Lindsey and All That! It tore Sharon up to do it, but she broke the tie by choosing All That.

You know, in a way, it makes sense. Spencer, Cristin, Ben, Jarrett & Raja and the Bandbazes all performed dangerous stunts, and all but Cristin totally pulled if off. So instead of deciding which trick was the best, the voters just skipped all of them. Thus, the top five vote-getters were two singing acts, two dancing acts and a comedian.

They've already announced the lineups for the two semifinals. Remember, the top FIVE acts go through (four on votes, one on judges' decision) this time.

Week 1:
Academy of Villains
Andrew de Leon
Bria Kelly
Donovan & Rebecca
Edon
Eric Dittelman
Joe Castillo
The Scott Brothers
Todd Oliver
Tom Cotter
Turf
William Close

From this group, I am absolutely rotting for Joe, William, Tom, and of course Dittelman. For the fifth choice, it could be anyone... maybe Donovan & Rebecca, maybe Turf, maybe Edon, maybe even the Scotts or AoV.

Week 2:
All That!
All Wheel Sports
Clint Carvahlo
David Garibaldi and his CMYK's
Jacob Williams
Lightwire Theater
The Magic of Puck
Olate Dogs
Sebastien "El Charro de Oro"
Shanice and Maurice Hayes
Tim Hockenberry
The Untouchables

Tough one. Definitely Andrew, David G and the Olate Dogs. Beyond that, it will have to be who impresses me the most, probably between Lightwire Theater, Tim Hockenberry, Jacob Williams and The Untouchables. I don't think the rest have a shot.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

They screwed up tonight. Todd Oliver had no business beating Spencer Horseman. I'm cool with All That even though they have no shot.

Week 1 is so stacked compared to week 2. There are like 10 acts I could see getting through to about 6 in week 2. Really unfair. Some great people are going to get cut because they got placed in the wrong show. Really poor job AGT.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Todd Oliver? The guy with the bulldog puppet?

I never saw what the old people who visit Branson saw in him. His one joke (the talking bulldog puppet) isn't at all convincing and he makes other mediocre acts in Branson seem decent.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Actually, I just watched the results show again, and something Nick said doesn't jive with what's on the Wikipedia page. Nick said that Andrew, not Sebastien, will be performing in Week 1. So that means the first SF is even MORE stacked.

Shit.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

God damn it. They might as well not even do the second show. I don't see any scenario where the top 5 are not David G, Lightwire Theater, Olate Dogs, Tim Hockenberry and The Untouchables. Whereas with show 1, Everyone but Bria Kelly, Todd Oliver and The Scott Brothers (I like them, but not on a show this stacked) have a very good shot to move forward. Put a lot of those acts on day two and they could bump one of those top 5 out.

ANd yes, Boosh, the same Todd Oliver. He sucks.