America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Shrykespeare »

So this is it. Finals night.

Prince Poppycock - Well, he was the longest shot going in, and while I don't totally condone Piers' decision to X the guy on FINALS NIGHT, I agree that he was less magical than he was before.

Michael Grimm - Another stunning performance. I guarantee Michael would have easily won any past season. He's got an outside shot here, but even so, I think his future is made.

Jackie Evancho - I KNEW she'd do "Ave Maria". If I remember correctly, Barbara Padilla did that same song in the finals last year... and she came in second. Will it happen again?

Fighting Gravity - It wasn't my favorite performance of theirs, but who cares? These guys deserve a Vegas show. Period, end of story.

I gave all of my votes to Fighting Gravity. I hope they win.... but I seem destined to always root for the runner-up (Cas Haley? Runner-up. Barbara Padilla? Runner-up. I was rooting for Neal E. Boyd, so hopefully this being an odd-numbered season, the luck's with me.)

On a side note, it was cool that they gave a few more minutes of airtime to some of the runners-up. It was cool to see Michael Grasso and Harmonica Pierre again.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Agree with just about everything you said. And who DIDN'T know Ave Maria was going to be her choice. I think Jackie has it in the bag. she just has it all, the talent, the mass appeal, the cuteness, she is just the perfect little kid. She is going to win. Regardless of that, Grimm is getting a record deal (and I think Taylor Mathews will too), and I would be shocked if Poppycock and Fighting Gravity don't end up with their own Vegas shows, along with Michael Grasso.

I'll be sure to let you know how everyone does live when I see them in October.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Well shit color me SHOCKED by that result. Happy, because I think he needed it more than Jackie, sad, because I definitely wanted Fighting Gravity to win, but certainly SHOCKED that Jackie wasn't the winner. Good for him. He is an incredible singer and musician and he killed it every time out. There was no going wrong tonight though. Great season of television!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Agreed. Once Fighting Gravity exited stage right, I was full-on rooting for Michael. I was convinced he wasn't going to win, but was so very pleasantly surprised when he did.

It's funny, really... about the only winner of ATG that I know for sure has hit it big so far is Terry Fator. If Neal E. Boyd and Kevin Skinner have reaped the fruits of their labor, I have yet to hear about it. It sucks that AGT winners get less exposure than American Idol runners-up, and that's gotta change. Michael deserves to be huge.

And like you, I'm going to be paying attention to see if Michael Grasso, Fighting Gravity and a few others get their own shows after all. I'll also be keeping track of how Jackie and Taylor Mathews are doing, not to mention Jeremy and Prince Poppycock. It's been a phenomenal season, I'm sorry to see it end.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Its been great sharing it with you, Shryke. Glad it doesn't have to end for me until after October 29th!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

They're actually coming to Phoenix on Oct. 6, but two tickets would cost $150, and that's a little out of my price range right now. Dammit.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Damn thats nuts. They were only 35 here, well closer to 50 after fees, but still, not that bad.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

So last night was the show and I just have to share how it went.

First, no Jackie Evancho. They sent me an email a couple weeks ago saying she wouldn't be there. I was pissed, but hey, whatcha gonna do? I have tried to look up why this was, but no results. And they didn't say ONE WORD about her, so very fishy. Also, Jeremy Van Schoonhoven could do very little, he just did a few ground tricks jumping over a guy, because he fell on one of the dates and pretty much shattered his hand.

But it was still a fantastic show. Many of the acts seem to have gotten better. Michael Grasso is simply incredible. I have no freaking clue how he does what he does. Its way more impressive live.

The biggest crowd support BY FAR was for Prince Poppycock, and he was fantastic, doing a Barber of Seville set which was just terriffic, following later on doing Bohemian Rhapsody. Based on the crowd reaction, I'm surprised he didn't win. There is NO WAY that he doesn't get his own show following the tour. He's going to be filthy rich.

Christina and Ali have gotten even better as singers and are as adorable as ever.

Taylor Mathews is a pop star. He's the only performer that actually performed an original song, and it was totally something you could hear on the radio. He's going to sell records.

Fighting Gravity is SO COOL live.

The two dance crews, Studio one and Anna and Patryk were as expected, but they still aren't for me. Very talented but not my thing.

And then of course, Michael Grimm. Performed his ass off, still the same humble guy that won America over. Great, great performer.

Overall it was a fun night and I walked out up 25 bucks from blackjack as well. Can't beat that :)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Jackie has recorded a Christmas album. Here is the link for pre-orders.

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Night-CD-DVD ... 759&sr=8-1
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

That's awesome, Geez, I am so jealous. Happy to hear that everyone did well, esp. Michael Grasso. Jackie, I expect, is in school, though you're right, they could have said something about her.

Glad you had a great time! And congrats on the blackjack!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

AMERICA'S GOT TALENT - 2011 SEASON

It's that time again, Geez. The coolest talent show on TV enters its sixth season.

For those of you who are NOT myself or Geezer, if you are interested in any of these acts, simply look on YouTube. AGT auditions always seem to find their way there.

So here, broken down by each audition city, are my predictions for the acts that were shown and who were passed on to the next round in Las Vegas.

LOS ANGELES AUDITIONS

Frank Olivier, 50. Talent: rides a unicycle while juggling flaming batons. I give this guy props because when it came time to actually juggle, he was able to do it without messing up. Everything leading up to that was a hot mess, however. They only showed him because he freaked Howie the fuck out, which delighted Piers no end. Prediction: he'll get cut in Vegas.

Ryan Andreas, 34. Talent: singer/keyboard player. Looks like a Hispanic Chris Daughtry, sounds like Chris Cornell. His voice is very raw, but he's charming, good-looking and talented. Plus, it takes balls for a guy to attempt a Sarah M. song. Prediction: Top 20 easily, possibly Top 10.

Landon Swank, 26. Talent: magician. Well, any magician that comes on this season is bound to be a step down from Michael Grasso, who came a hair's-breadth from the Top 4 last year. This kid is good-looking, and has some definite skill as an illusionist. He needs more flair, however. Prediction: Top 40, possibly Top 20.

The Body Poets, 18-25. Talent: hip-hop crew with a twist. This group wears tight black outfits and shades that cover their heads and faces, and when the lights go out, we discover that they are adorned with tiny blue lights. They also play with stationary lights on stage much like Fighting Gravity did, though not nearly as cool. As dancers, they are very good, and the gimmick may give them an edge over other hip-hop crews. But unless they mix it up, I think it will become one-note. Prediction: Top 40. Top 20 is a stretch.

Brennan Figari, 23. Talent: aerial performer. He twists himself up and around two silken drapes that hang from the ceiling. His acrobatic skill is impressive, but this is not a Vegas act. Besides, I'm virtually certain acts like this have been on the show before. Prediction: possibly Top 40, but definitely no further.

Olivia Bellafontaine, 29. Talent: burlesque dancer. So she gyrates and sheds just enough of her clothing to still be rated PG-13. We only saw her briefly, but I think her sex appeal far outweighs her actual talent, and once the judges realize that, they'll start thinking with the heads they SHOULD be using. Prediction: she'll get cut in Vegas.

Vegas Birds, 51. Talent: trained parrots. Well, we actually only saw one parrot, a parrot that could mimic other animal sounds and answer questions. Very impressive, funny and cute. Thing is, I don't know if any animal act has ever made Top 20, no matter how good they are. The trainer SAYS she has other birds that can "paint" and "read minds", and if that is true, then maybe she and her birds will be the first. However, Howie has reservations, and so do I. Prediction: Top 40, with a question mark.

Frank Miles, 50. Talent: juggler. Wow. This mild-mannered looking guy stood in a container of water while juggling three active 500K-volt police stun guns, all while cracking jokes. Though everyone in the audience was too busy holding their breath to really pay attention to the comedy, I found him hysterical. "It's a scientific fact that if I catch two of these on the wrong end at the same time... that will suck." LMAO!! Reminds me of The Passing Zone from Season One. Prediction: if he can POSSIBLY top this, he should make Top 40. After that, is a big if.

ATLANTA AUDITIONS

Atlanta All Stars, 13-43. Talent: married ballroom-dancing couple and 22 of their students, from Miami. To successfully keep that many dancers in synch while doing complicated choreography is amazing, and they pulled it off. Fast-paced, sexy, and slick. Is this the dance crew that may outlast the others? Don't know, but I think they could go far. I could actually see this in Vegas. Prediction: Top 20.

Scott Alexander, 41. Talent: magician/illusionist. I liked his levitation trick especially when combined with the water jets, but I would need to see more of him before I can form a more concrete opinion. Prediciton: 50/50 shot to avoid getting cut in Vegas.

Preston Weber, 12. Talent: dancer/fire-eater/tiki-twirler. This kid's got a lot of talent, and nerves of steel. I can't help but wonder how much else he can do besides what he did in the audition. Prediction: Top 40, but no further.

Yellow Designs Stunt Team, 25-41. Talent: four guys on bikes doing half-pipe and other bike tricks. Jeremy Vanschoonhoven proved last season that bike stunts can work for an audience. But these guys don't have his charm or his charisma. Plus, one of them fell on his face. If that happens again, I'll have lost interest in them. Prediction: A long shot for Top 40.

SH'Boss Boys, 5-7. Talent: three tiny African-American boys that dance and "wap", like on the "wadio". Every year, there's an act that is just so doggone cute it makes you want to throw up. Last season, it was Future Funk. Can these guys make it further? They seem fearless on stage, and when the lead kid said "Wrong track..." when the wrong music started playing, it was awesome. But kids this young eventually have their lack of experience catch up to them, and the cuteness factor must give way to actual talent. Prediction: Top 40 easily, Top 20 maybe, Top 10 probalby not.

And the "pimp spot" goes to:

Team iLuminate, 25-33. Talent: glow-in-the-dark hip-hop dancers. These guys are like ten times cooler than The Body Poets from earlier. They are a mixture of the Jabbawockeez and Fighting Gravity, using darkness, dancing and strategically placed and timed lighting effects. (Really, it's soooo much cooler to watch than to describe.) FG managed a third place finish. If this group can keep it fresh and cool all the way through, they could go very far. Prediction: Top 10 for sure, Top 5 very possible.

Here is a video of my Top 3 from tonight. Watch them before they get taken down!

No good video yet of Frank Miles. Oh well.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Sorry about the delay, Shryke. Things have been a little crazy here. We kinda got hit by tornadoes yesterday, you may have heard of it. My reaction:

LOS ANGELES AUDITIONS

Frank Olivier, 50. Talent: You didn't think he did all of that on purpose? I really thought that was his act. He was pretty damn funny the way he was torturing Howie, I could have sworn he had that all planned out.

Ryan Andreas, 34. Talent: singer/keyboard player. Fantastic vocalist. He'll be sticking around a long time. Loved him.

Landon Swank, 26. Talent: magician. Need to see him do some more, as is the case with all magicians. They can't fall into the trap of being repetitive.

The Body Poets, 18-25. Talent: hip-hop crew with a twist. I wasn't all that impressed, but we'll see how they do in Vegas.

Brennan Figari, 23. Talent: aerial performer. Yeah there was a couple that did basically the same thing last year. I'm over it.

Olivia Bellafontaine, 29. Talent: burlesque dancer. I'm not complaining ;)

Vegas Birds, 51. Talent: trained parrots. It was SO FREAKING FUNNY the dialogue between Howie and Piers for this one. Howie "We don't hang out! It's not like it would occur to me to say 'I'm going to a bird show, I should call Piers'" Classic. Funniest moment of the night.

Frank Miles, 50. Talent: juggler. I wasn't really impressed, UNTIL he stepped into the water. He literally would have died on national television if he dropped one. Gotta hand it to him.

ATLANTA AUDITIONS

Atlanta All Stars, 13-43. Talent: married ballroom-dancing couple and 22 of their students, from Miami. They were good, I'm just not that into dancers when they don't have flashy lights attached or some other gimmick. More on that later.

Scott Alexander, 41. Talent: magician/illusionist. That trick was phenomenal. I honestly think they blew through his act quickly because they know he is great, will be a factor later on, and didn't want to give too much away in episode one.

Preston Weber, 12. Talent: dancer/fire-eater/tiki-twirler. Agreed with your assessment.

Yellow Designs Stunt Team, 25-41. Talent: four guys on bikes doing half-pipe and other bike tricks. Completely agree about not having the charm of Jeremy Vanschoonhoven. They will need to STEP IT UP to move on.

SH'Boss Boys, 5-7. I LOVED them. Way more than any other kid act I've seen. They are adorable, charismatic, and best of all, highly intelligent! They rap about studying and getting good grades. They were awesome and I will be sad when they get eliminated. They won't win, obviously, but they are awesome kids. Their parents should be extremely proud.

And the "pimp spot" goes to:

Team iLuminate, 25-33. Talent: glow-in-the-dark hip-hop dancers. The only act that is guaranteed a top 10 spot. Brilliant. The woman behind the whole thing is a genius, and they are good enough to get by on just the dancing, the lights make them a shoe-in.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here's a video of Frank Miles' act, which was spaced out over a commercial break. Even a week later, it's still awesome and funny.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SEATTLE AUDITIONS

Melissa Villasenor, 23. Talent: comedienne/impressionist/singer. Takes balls to do this show instead of Last Comic Standing, assuming that show will ever be on again. She was adorable, and she was funny, very funny in fact. But only one comedian has ever gone far on this show (Grandma Lee), and she will have to be brilliant to make it to Top 20. She freakin' NAILED Kathy Griffin. Prediction: They usually take at least one comedian to the Top 40, and since she's the first we've seen, I'll say that's as far as she gets.

Zuma Zuma, 28-42. Talent: acrobats/tumblers from Kenya. There's always someone like this in the competition. I so admire the skill, balance and dedication it takes to do this well. But the thing is, it's not something you can watch over and over again. It's a halftime show, not a Vegas act. Loved the zebra-stripe outfits, though, gave them lots of flair. Prediction: Top 40, but no further.

Poplyfe, 12-16. Talent: ethnically diverse teen band, five boys and one girl. Lead singer's got a great voice, but Piers was spot on: she far outshines the boys around her. I understand the concept of BFFs and all, but I think she would do far better on her own. Prediction: definitely a shot at Top 20, but only the electric set they promised goes over well.

The Daring Jones Duo, 31 and 35. Talent: aerial artists. So they use a trapeze and ropes instead of silk curtains. I need a lot more than the ten seconds they showed us to be impressed. Prediction: 50/50 shot at Top 40.

Sadie, 8. Talent: singer. Gotta have a few terrific kid performers, but this girl is awesome. For an eight-year-old to have the pipes she does - and SCAT like a pro, no less - is amazing. I can't wait to see more of her! Prediction: Top 20, possibly Top 10 if her nerves don't get the better of her.

The Elektrolytes, 20-26. Talent: hip-hop dance crew. They're from Gilbert, AZ, so I'll cut them a break. They have some moves, but for a dance act to make it past Top 40, you need a metric ton more than they showed. Prediction: Top 40 if they're on their game in Vegas, but I won't hold my breath.

Mauricio Herrera, 33. Talent: singer/dancer. Howie, Howie, who are you trying to piss off more, Piers or me? Yeah, I know there's always that so-bad-it's-cool act that always slips through to Vegas, but if this guy makes it to the Top 40, we need to nuke Costa Rica. I mean, seriously? The guy's hair and clothes were like 30 years out of style, and his moves were terrible. Yikes, Howie. Prediction: Sharon will come to her senses in Vegas.

Overall, one of the most disappointing hours of auditions I can remember. Thank God Sharon drew the line at "Paper Horn Man". The "Pants on the Ground" guy was better than him. And I am starting to worry that the show may turn the whole war between Howie and Piers into some big soap opera, which would suck because this show is NOT about them.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Tonight's two audition rounds were miles better than last night's.

HOUSTON AUDITIONS

The Rhinestone Ropers, 28 and 52. Talent: knife throwing and trick shooting. I've never been a fan of Wild West types of entertainment, but these two were awesome. The danger factor was very high, and it was very cool to watch. Can't wait to see what else they can do. Prediction: a definite shot at Top 20.

Mona Lisa, 29. Talent: twin sisters/singers. Didn't hear much of them, but what I heard I liked. Prediction: Top 40.

Charles Peachock, 35. Talent: glow-in-the-dark juggling act. Is EVERYBODY taking a page from Fighting Gravity now? I have to admit, the light effects were very neat. But it's juggling, you know? Prediction: Top 40, but no further.

Purrfect Angelz, 22-36. Talent: Sexy dancers. Now this is what I'm talking about. If it's between these ladies and the burlesque dancer from before, give me the Angelz any time. Rrowr! Talent: Top 40, but after that they'll need to show more dancing ability than just being sexy.

Daniel Joseph Baker, 19. Talent: singer/musician. Granted, this guy is gayer than Gaylord G. Gaylord on the gayest day of the Gay Pride Parade... but he OWNS IT. I totally expected him to suck, but he surprised the shit out of me. Dude can sing! Prediction: Top 40 easily, but we'll see if his OTT gayness turns viewer voters off or not.

Sandou Trio Russian Bar, 25-43. Talent: acrobatic act. If I remember correctly, there was an act exactly like this two seasons ago that actually made the Top 40, but had to be replaced before the voting started because they had to pull out because of an injury. I don't think that this act is the same three people as before, but it is the same TYPE of act. I loved it. Sexy and dangerous. Wonder what else they can do. Prediction: Top 40 for sure, but after that will depend on their ability to up their game.

Dani Shay, 22. Talent: singer/comedienne. Hmm. A 22-year-old woman who looks just like Justin Bieber? At first I was skeptical, but she was pretty funny. But her song was about how she's NOT Justin Bieber. This was enough to get her through, but now I think she needs to change her wardrobe completely and do some other form of comedic song, because that ain't goint to work twice. Prediction: see comment. If she obeys, Top 40. If not, no.

LD Dance Company, 20-29. Talent: dance troupe. The ladies were sexy with their exotic headdresses and skimpy costumes, but what I saw (and it wasn't much) needs to be better to top the rising number of dance acts getting through. Prediction: Top 40, maybe.

Lil' T, 6. Talent: dancer. Just when you thought no one could out-cute the SH'Boss Boys... Come on, Geez, you melted, admit it. When he told his GF that he loved her, how could you not go "Awwww!" Plus, the kid's got mad skillz as a dancer. And God, I love Nick Cannon. Prediction: Top 20, possibly, but no further.

Pimp spot:

Darren "Professor Splash" Taylor, 50. Talent: high diver. Have you noticed that four of the most dangerous acts so far have all been done by men of or around 50? First the unicycle juggler, then the stun-gun guy, then the knife thrower, now this. Thing is, this is his act. All he can do now to make it more impressive is to dive from incrementally higher distances. And maybe show-biz it up a little more. Is that enough? Prediction: no idea. Either he'll go far, or he'll fail, be hospitalized, and be off the show.

MINNEAPOLIS AUDITIONS

When Piers got stuck in the blizzard, I - like Piers - was afraid that Howie and Sharon would put through every idiotic act that showed up. Thankfully, that only happened a couple of times (that we saw).

Echo of Animal Gardens, 15 and 32. Talent: talking bird act. With only a couple of tweaks, this was exactly the same audition as Vegas Birds last week. Echo was a very impressive bird, I'll give her that, but that lady gave me the creeps. Prediction: As I said, I can't remember any animal act ever making the Top 20. I don't think this will either. I would wager that between this and Vegas Birds, only one will make it on the show.

Mrs. Smith, 56. Talent: rock guitarist. Okay, I'm impressed. A middle-aged lady, dressed like a dowdy librarian, shredding on an electric guitar? Sadly, we only got to hear a few bars, but it was enough. Prediction: once the incongruity wears off, we'll see how good she really is. I'll guess Top 40.

St. Lukes Bottle Band, 32-67. Talent: musicians in old-timey garb playing on empty bottles. Very novel and quaint in a Hee-Haw kind of way. They're not without their charm, but this is not a Vegas act. Prediction: cut in Vegas.

The Halls of Magic, 50 and 56. Talent: magicians. Dude looks like a porn star, but I was impressed with his illusion. He is the third magician to make it to Vegas so far. We'll find out then which one has the chops. Prediction: Top 40, possibly 20.

Lys Agnes, 27. Talent: opera singer. When she came out, I was expecting a soul singer like Butterscotch from Season Two, but minus the beatboxing. And then she sang "Ave Maria". What an amazing, deep voice she has! I am blown away by her. Prediction: Given that an opera singer has either won (Neal E. Boyd) or come in second (Barbara Padilla, Jackie Evancho) in each of the last three seasons, I think it's safe to say Top 10 is a given, Top 4 is a definitely possibility. Wow. Just... wow.

Viva La Muerte, 28. Talent: midget striptease/comedienne. I didn't like how they interspersed her audition with Piers driving in from the airport, but I think it's safe to say he would have hated this. I did, too. Prediction: cut in Vegas.

Those Funny Little People, 23-53. Talent: group of singer/dancer/comedians dressed in giant-head gnome outfits. God help me, I thought this was hilarious. At least their "mouths" moved to what they were saying/singing, which was awesome. Of course Piers hated them, and of course Howie loved them for that same reason. I'm on Howie's side here. Prediction: we'll see what the do the second time around. Assuming they don't bollix it up, I'll predict Top 40.

Silhouettes, 9-18. Talent: huge dance troupe using their movements and bodies to tell a story by using silhouettes behind huge screens. This was unique, fascinating, and wonderful. I absolutely loved it. This could go far. Prediction: Top 20, possibly Top 10.

The Kinetic King, 47. Talent: kinetic effects artist. Tough to describe. This guy is as nerdy as Daniel Baker is gay, but he's very good at what he does. Obviously, his act is something that has to be set up and positioned well in advance of his actually hitting the stage. In order to progress in the competition, he has to do something far, far more spectacular and on a much grander scale. Prediction: I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now, and predict Top 40, possibly Top 20.

Damn, my Top 40 is getting crowded!