America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Geezer »

Amazing show. I loved the Voices of Hope pairing, and I really liked the Deadly Games/BJC/CR trio that really worked.

In the end, I could quibble over 4-5, but why bother, because they ultimately got the top 3 EXACTLY right. I would have been totally fine with those three finishing in any order, but they finished how I ranked them going in. The only two AGT winners to get this far were the last two on the stage, and my favorite act in the entire time I've been watching the show wins the Champions. Couldn't be happier than that.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

RESULTS SHOW!!!!!

Terry C's looking SHARP.

Voices of Hope Children's Choir and Tokio Myers - This was a great pairing. How cool to see these adorable kids again.

The Clairvoyants - Great trick. Always happy to see them on this stage.

TOOTHLESS! Damn, I love this dragon, and this entire series. I'm gonna cry when it's over, I just know it.

Jackie Evancho - I could NEVER get tired of listening to her. I hope she keeps singing for the next sixty years.

Cirque du Soleil - What can you say? THIS is why they've been in Vegas for decades.

Brian Justin Crum, Cristina Ramos, and Deadly Games - not a pairing I would have come up with, but they made it work. Great song choice!

Shin Lim and Melissa Funero - HOW? DOES? HE? DO? IT??????

Darci Lynne (with Edna) and Rowlf - Rowlf's voice has gone to shit, but that was cute.

Love the moments when they got to relive their first auditions. Those were priceless.

Top Five announced:

Cristina Ramos
Preacher Lawson
Darci Lynne
Kseniya Simonova
Shin Lim

Wow. No Paul, no Jon, no BJC, No Susan.

Here we go.

Fifth Place - Preacher Lawson

Fourth Place - Cristina Ramos

Third Place - Kseniya Simonova

Oh my. It's down to our two AGT champions. I'm on pins and needles!!

Runner-Up - Darci Lynn

WINNER - SHIN LIM

Wow. I remember two weeks ago I despaired that we wouldn't have a single AGT winner in the Finals. And they finish 1-2, which is how it should be. No offense to our foreign guests, but this was exactly right. So happy for Shin Lim. And Darci.

In the end, this show was about bragging rights. These two proved they're the best two acts of all time. Couldn't be happier.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Have you watched The World's Best? It is very AGT-like. Though its format isn't nearly as fun and the judges kinda suck, there's some real talent here. I bring it up because William close was on it, and I know he was one of your favorites.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I've recorded a few episodes, but I haven't watched them yet. I will eventually. And now that I know William Close is in it, I may make that a priority!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SEASON FOURTEEN!!!!

Quarter Finals (Week 1 of 3)

Top 5 vote getters advance. Next three highest vote getters are subject to Instant Save. One of the remaining two chosen by judges.

Here we go!!

1. GFORCE (preteen vocal group) - Love the energy, and not once trace of nerves. Do you know how hard it is to sing while dancing like that? Don't think we've ever had a group like this on AGT before. Plus, they're just so adorable. I think they'll advance. Girl power! :D (PS, Suck it, Simon.)

2. Greg Morton (comedic impressionist) - Love this guy. I was sure I'd be tired of his shtick by now, but he's just so damn funny. He IS Groot. Totally moving on.

3. Carmen Carter (singer) - She's good, but against the vocal talent stacked up on this show, I hated the arrangement. Surprised the judges loved it.

4. Emerald Belles (dance group) - They really upped their game. Will it be enough? Not sure.

5. Sophie Pecora (teen singer/guitarist, Brad Paisley's GB) - Quirky enough to be memorable. Mainstream enough to be popular? That is the question. I'm rooting for her.

6. Messoudi Brothers (acrobatic trio) - We've had acts like this before. Washboard abs and fire are not enough. I wasn't wowed.

7. Voices of Service (vocal quartet) - They are sentimental favorites, for sure. I think they'll land solidly in the middle. Hope they advance.

8. Ansley Burns (preteen singer) - She's squeaked by before. Can she do it again? I don't believe so. Pace was too fast, and she's not as cute collectively as GFORCE.

9. Alex Dowis (blacklight painter) - Again, we've had acts like this before. It's visually impressive and clever, but the wow factor is very low.

10. Luke Islam (singer, Julianne's GB) - This kid's got a great future ahead of him. In a season of great young male singers, he's up there. He's moving on.

11. Bir Khalsa (danger trio) - Holy FUCK. These guys are insane. And with a roster move! That was bonkers. I loved it. Go Bir Khalsa!

12. Kodi Lee (singer/pianist, Gabrielle's GB) - This kid's gonna win. I said it. Carve it in stone. Holy moly. Wow.

My predictions:

Top 5:
Greg Morton
Sophie Pecora
Luke Islam
Kodi Lee
Voices of Service

Instant Save:
GFORCE

Judges Choice:
Bir Khalsa over Messoudi Brothers

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

1. GFORCE (preteen vocal group) - I actually couldn't agree more with what Simon said. I think they are a few years way from this stage and the song wasn't good.

2. Greg Morton (comedic impressionist) - I loved the first audition, but when he is just spouting off random things without a theme I like it less.

3. Carmen Carter (singer) - Absolutely agree. I hated this song choice and can't see her advancing.

4. Emerald Belles (dance group) - For me, the best so far. I think they have a chance to make it one more round.

5. Sophie Pecora (teen singer/guitarist, Brad Paisley's GB) - I liked this performance best from her. I do agree that she may struggle going to be a mainstream success. Her songs are all VERY similar.

6. Messoudi Brothers (acrobatic trio) - Funny, because this is the first act of the night that DID "wow" me.

7. Voices of Service (vocal quartet) - Completely agree. Not sensational, but safe to move on.

8. Ansley Burns (preteen singer) - I actually think this worked really well for her. I'm rooting for her.

9. Alex Dowis (blacklight painter) - And again, the second act that "Wow'd" me did nothing for you. We seem to be having a lot of disagreements on tonight's show!

10. Luke Islam (singer, Julianne's GB) - First time I got actual chills. I absolutely ADORE this kid. My favorite act of the night, easily.

11. Bir Khalsa (danger trio) - I was on the fence with them before but now I'm completely sold. That was AWESOME.

12. Kodi Lee (singer/pianist, Gabrielle's GB) - He's certainly in the driver's seat, but I try REALLY hard to separate the backstory and the disability from the talent. Is he talented? Without question. His voice is amazing, but it is not the best in this competition. Luke's is better, for example. But it all depends on what America wants to cast their votes based on.

I've got moving on:
Kodi
Luke
Bir Khalsa
Alex
Voices of Service
Sophie
Messoudi brothers

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I missed the results show. Here is what Wikipedia says:

Moving on:

Greg Morton
Messoudi Brothers
Voices of Service
Alex Dowis
Luke Islam
Kodi Lee

So the Dunkin Save came down to Emerald Belles, Sophie Pecora, and Ansley Burns. Ansley got the save.

Wait, what... no Judges' Choice?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Performing next week:

Charlotte Summers (singer, 13)
Chris Klafford (singer, 30) (from Sweden)
Joseph Allen (singer/rapper, 21) (Howie's GB)
Light Balance Kids (light-up dance group, 11-13) (Ellie Kemper's GB)
Marina Mazepa (contortionist, 22)
Ndlovu Youth Choir (choir, 13-27) (from South Africa)
Nick & Lindsay (opera singer/danger act, 38 & 33)
Robert Finley (singer, 65)
Ryan Niemller (comedian, 36) (handicapped)
The Sentimentalists (mentalists) (Wild Card)
Tyler Figueroa (violinist, 11) (Simon's GB)
V Unbeatable (dance drew, 12-27) (from India) (Dwayne Wade's GB)

And in Week 3:

Benecio Bryan (singer, 14) (long-haired kid)
Berywam (beatboxing group, 25-30) (from France)
Detroit Youth Choir (choir, 8-18) (Terry's GB)
Dom Chambers (magician, 26) (from Australia)
Emanne Beasha (opera singer, 10) (Jay Leno's GB)
Eric Chen (magician, 26)
Gonzo (tambourinist, 33) (from Japan)
Jackie Fabulous (comedian, 48)
Lukas & Falco (dog act, 22 & 9)
MacKenzie (singer, 31)
Marcin Patrzalek (guitarist, 18) (from Poland)
(Wild Card not announced yet, assuming there is one)

Picks to move on:

Week 2:

V Unbeatable
Tyler Figueroa
Ryan Niemiller
Ndlovu Youth Choir
Charlotte Summers
Robert Finley
either Joseph Allen or Light Balance Kids

Week 3:

Marcin Patrzalek
Jackie Fabulous
Eric Chen
Detroit Youth Choir
Benicio Bryant
Emanne Beasha
either MacKenzie or Dom Chambers

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Geezer's on vaca right now, so here's my take on Week 2 of the QFs.

1. Charlotte Summers (child singer) - Gutsy of a kid to sing a Bond theme. But her voice is so mature, it worked. I pray she moves on after the pounding she took from the judges.

2. Nick & Lindsay (opera/danger act) - This was terrible. Just terrible. I'd have X'd them off the show.

3. Chris Klafford (singer/guitarist) - I like him. He's genuine, with a very pleasant voice. I'd love to see him advance.

4. Marina Mazepa (contortionist) - Just contortion is not enough. Unless you have something spectacular like Sofie Dossi, this just bores me. She's out.

5. Robert Finley (singer) - NOW we're talking! That's how you command a stage. I'm a huge fan of this guy. I hope America is too.

6. The Sentimentalists (mentalists) - It's good, but wayyyy too slow to develop. They need a better presentation.

Been quite disappointing so far. I hope the second half is better.

7. Ryan Niemiller (comedian) - Not his funniest set, but he's easily the funniest comic of the season. I think he'll move on.

8. V Unbeatable (dance crew, D. Wade's GB) - Best dance crew in AGT history. I think they have a shot at winning this thing. They are spectacular.

9. Joseph Allen (singer/rapper, Howie's GB) - I can see this guy having wide appeal. It's a weak field, so I think he'll make it.

10. Light Balance Kids (light-up dance crew, Ellie Kemper's GB) - Loved the light show, dancing was good. They are better than their parents! Bite me, Simon.

11. Tyler Butler-Figueroa (violinist, Simon's GB) - Not sure I could watch this kid for an hour, but DAMN, you gotta admire him. He's in for sure.

12. Ndlovu Youth Choir (choir) - LOVED the pre-package. These kids are brilliant. Great way to close the show.

So... seven go through. Nick & Lindsay, Marina, and The Sentimentalists have zero chance. With so many singers, I have to believe that the other two who won't make it will be singers. Charlotte and Chris may get the short end of the stick because of their early position and bad critiques.

The seven going through... I will pick Robert and the final six acts.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Geez is on vaca so I'm not sure if he's seen the show yet. Therefore, I will put the results in spoiler mode.

The Top 5:

Tyler Butler Figueroa
Ryan Niemiller
Robert Finley
V Unbeatable
Light Balance Kids

The middle 3:
Chris Klafford
Nglovu Youth Choir
Charlotte Summers

That's right, Howie's Golden Buzzer didn't even make the Top 8.

So Chris got the Instant Save, and Nglovu got the deciding vote over Charlotte.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Geez, where are ya?

Quarterfinal #3

1. Detroit Youth Choir (choir, Terry's GB) - Hard not to get behind them. Not sure whether I like them more or less than Nglovu, but I think they're good enough to deserve a spot in the semis.

2. Lukas & Falco (dog act) - The problem with dog acts is that, no matter how good or how cute they are and how you dress it up, by the third time you've seen them, you've seen pretty much every trick they have in their repertoire. One guy with one dog is not enough. (At least they're better than Sara & Hero.)

3. Dom Chambers (magician) - YES YES YES!!! LOVED the trick. Loved the comedy. And... Fucking TAPE FACE!! This guy HAS to go through!

4. Benicio Bryant (child singer) - I really like this kid. Wasn't wild about his song choice, but kudos for doing an original. I think his voice is better than most of the other male singers on the show (Kodi, Luke). I think he'll fall into the middle and move on.

5. Gonzo (dancer/tambourinist) - I was tired of this guy before his original audition ended. Never thought I'd miss Yumbo Dump. Thanks, Simon for Xing him for me. No way this moves on.

6. Marcin Patrzalek (guitarist) - This kid is a freakin' guitar PRODIGY. That being said, this performance didn't blow me away as much as before. I think I need more than just him. Huh.

7. Eric Chien (magician) - Un-fucking-believable. I think he's in the same class as Shin Lim. He's a wizard! He'd BETTER go through.

8. Berywam (beatboxing group) - Never been a fan of beatboxing. They are good, yes, but this left me really cold and un-wowed.

9. Matthew Richardson (aerialist) - He's good, no doubt. But he needs to be part of a larger act. I couldn't watch this for an hour. I can't see him advancing.

10. MacKenzie (singer) - I like him, but this sounded totally off-key from the outset. Maybe I'm wrong. Wasn't blown away.

11. Jackie Fabulous (comedian) - This lady is hysterical. This set had me rolling. Her best yet. Totally rooting for her.

12. Emanne Beasha (child opera singer, Jay Leno's GB) - Charlotte Church. Jackie Evancho. Emanne is the next in line. Simply staggering. No way in hell she doesn't move on.

My Top 5:
Emanne Beasha
Dom Chambers
Eric Chien
Jackie Fabulous
Detroit Youth Choir

Instant Save:
Marcin Petrzalek

Judge's Choice:
Benicio Bryant

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

So here's how it went:

Top 5:
Detroit Youth Choir
Dom Chambers
Benecio Bryant
Eric Chien
Emanne Beasha

Dunkin' Save:
Jackie Fabulous

And the Judges Choice saw Marcin Petrzalek advancing over Lukas & Falco.

So, yay. The right seven move on.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here's the lineup for next week. I put them in order from what I think is most likely to advance to least likely.

Terry said there were eleven acts, but he also said there would be a judges wild card. I presume that wild card will be inserted into the second semifinal show to keep the numbers even.

Kodi Lee
Tyler Butler-Figueroa
Eric Chien
Light Balance Kids
Greg Morton
Robert Finley
Benecio Bryant
Messoudi Brothers
Jackie Fabulous
Ndlovu Youth Choir
Ansley Burns

That leaves the following for week 2:

Emanne Beasha
V Unbeatable
Detroit Youth Choir
Luke Islam
Dom Chambers
Ryan Niemiller
Voices of Service
Alex Dowis
Marcin Petrzalek
Chris Klafford

If I had to pick the Wild Card, I hope it's Charlotte Summers, though throwing her into the same show with Emanne would probably not work well. Plus, half the field are already singers or musicians. They could bring back Joseph, Howie's GB, or perhaps G Force.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

1. Charlotte Summers (child singer) - I dunno, I didn't really like it. I was bored.

2. Nick & Lindsay (opera/danger act) - Completely agree. They should have gotten four X's

3. Chris Klafford (singer/guitarist) - Fat Thor was good,but I wasn't quite as impressed as I have been in his past performances.

4. Marina Mazepa (contortionist) - Completely agree, she's no Sophie.

5. Robert Finley (singer) - I LOVE this guy. I've loved every performance he's given. I'd pay to see him.

6. The Sentimentalists (mentalists) - It is just so similar to the clairvoyants, right down to her voice and tone. I'm really critical of copycats, especially when they're not as good.

7. Ryan Niemiller (comedian) - Yeah it is a weak season for comedy, but he did a good job. Probably moves on on a weak night, which so far this has been.

8. V Unbeatable (dance crew, D. Wade's GB) - Absolutely the best dance crew we've seen on this show. Can they win? I dunno, but they've got a shot and will certainly move on.

9. Joseph Allen (singer/rapper, Howie's GB) - He's really ridiculously talented. Such a good song writer. I could see him becoming a pretty successful artist, win or lose.

10. Light Balance Kids (light-up dance crew, Ellie Kemper's GB) - Amazing as always. Ultimately I think they come up short in the finals, but they are going through here. Simon is so wrong here.

11. Tyler Butler-Figueroa (violinist, Simon's GB) - What an inspiration. I hope he brings joy to the hearts of any and all the kids in similar situations that see him play. He's amazing.

12. Ndlovu Youth Choir (choir) - Very good. If this doesn't work out for them, they should call Disney. I could see them putting on a show times a day in the Animal Kingdom. They'd pack the house.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Semi Final #1

Top five acts go through.

1. Ndlovu Youth Choir (choir) - Wow. The prepackage was amazing. That this group has been asked to perform all over the world ALREADY is so phenomenal. Richly deserved. They will be great ambassadors. That being said, are they good enough to make the finals? Can they go head to head with Detroit Youth Choir? Based on this performance, YES!!!! Loved the song choice, loved the dancing. So upbeat and fun! Well, If they don't make it, at least I can be happy that their future is MADE.

2. Ansley Burns (child singer) - This girl has had quite a ride. She's cute, precocious, adorable, but would I put her in the class of someone like Emanne? No. Charlotte was better, and she got cut (unless she's the wild card). This was Ansley's best song by a mile, but it's just not enough for me. I hope she keeps at it, but I don't see her in the finals.

3. Messoudi Brothers (acrobatic trio) - I needed a wow moment. I finally got it. That last trick was awesome. Has a balancing act ever made the finals??

4. Tyler Butler-Figueroa (child violinist) - I'm on the fence on this kid. I love him and all he stands for, but his backstory outshines his music. Feel free to disagree.

5. Greg Morton (comic impressionist) - I love this guy. This take on classic cartoons made me smile. However, I think this is as far as he goes.

6. Kodi Lee (singer/pianist) - Maybe Kodi isn't the best singer ever, but I stand by my prediction that he will win. (Which means he'll come in 3rd.)

7. Jackie Fabulous (comedienne) - Hated the prepackage. And her set was not my favorite. She barely squeaked by before. She won't do it again.

8. Robert Finley (singer) - Loved the story about his guitar. Robert is as authentic as it comes. I really want him in the finals!

9. Eric Chien (magician) - Hmm. I thought he was going to go big... But he didn't. I'm suddenly very worried for him.

10. Light Balance Kids (light-up dance group) - Avengers assemble! I have to admit, these kids totally stepped it up. They get my vote.

11. Benicio Bryant (child singer) - GUTSY time to do an original. He'll be helped by getting the final spot. I think he's in.

My Top 5:
Ndlovu Youth Choir
Kodi Lee
Robert Finley
Light Balance Kids
Benicio Bryant

Honestly, though, Tyler could get in, so could Eric and Messoudi Brothers.