America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Geezer »

Angelica Hale going tonight. That... could definitely change things. Let's Go!

Week 3

DJ Arch Jr - I don't really know how to judge DJ talent, but he's really cute.

Darcy Oake - I'm gonna steal a line from Mel. WHAT JUST HAPPENNNNNED???? Holy fucking shit man, how did he do THAT? He's got a genuine shot at getting the win here tonight.

Angelica Hale - How can anyone not smile watching her perform? She's adorable, insanely talented, charismatic. She should have her own Disney show tomorrow. P.S. Yeah I'd say it changed things, Howie's GOLDEN BUZZER and I'm not remotely surprised.

Tom Cotter - Simon X'ing him totally broke his rhythm and it was totally uncalled for. He was just pissed off about the delicious animals joke. He's one of the funniest comedians this show has every had. This wasn't his best, but man, that buzzer killed his timing and that is so critical for a comedian. It's a shame.

Prince Poppycock - Man, maybe its just me, but the background music totally drowned out his vocals, so it didn't showcase the vocal ability at all, except the last few notes when it dropped out. He still puts on a great show. He's got a huge fanbase. I'm actually genuinely stunned he didn't pursue this. He wasn't as good as he was back then (out of practice and a bit safe, like Simon said), but like I said, he's got FANS. He had the biggest ovation of anyone when I saw that season's finalist live tour.

Ryan Stock & Amberlynn - I couldn't watch most of the act, but good for them for pulling off the trick they messed up. Has to feel good to get that redemption. They really shouldn't have much of a chance though.

Samuel J. Comroe - He was AWESOME tonight. I liked him better tonight than ever before. He's got an incredibly good shot at winning this thing. And it wasn't all about his condition either. Great, great, and good for him with the success he's found.

Paul Potts - He's brilliant, but like so many opera singers on AGT before him, he probably comes up a little short in this competition. I can definitely see why he won Britain's though. Dude has pipes.

Jon Dorenbos - I knew his story before this, but man, watching him tell it, I almost got teary-eyed. Football may be over for him, and even if he never becomes a huge magician (which I think he should!), he has a GREAT career as a motivational speaker ahead of him. He's the magician with the biggest personality of any the show has ever had. I could listen to this man speak for hours. I love him. What a man, what a talent, what a trick. I want to see him so bad.

Billy & Emily England
- A Champions worthy performance for sure. They are incredible. Great that they are working at Caesar's Palace. I don't think they'll get the other spot, but damn they were good.

Top three for me is Darcy, Samuel and Jon. I wonder if the magicians split votes... when there are only 50, a split can be critical. Still think Jon squeaks by and gets it though.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Week 3

DJ Arch Jr - It's unbelievable that a three year old could win in any country. That's a record that'll probably never be broken. Yeah, he's cute, but Angelica's cuter. And more mainstream. Like you, I'm not knowledgeable about DJ'ing, but it looks like it's just pushing buttons...

Darcy Oake - Wow. That was fucking INCREDIBLE. Can this Darcy succeed where the other Darci couldn't? I begin to think he can (depending on what Jon does). I have to wonder if Simon's negative comment will affect the superfans in the audience.

Angelica Hale - So happy for her. So happy. No finishing second to Darci Lynn this time! Good on you, Howie!

Tom Cotter - Welcome back, Cotter. This is champions. There shouldn't even BE X's, you know? What a time for Tom to get his first one ever. You suck, Simon.

Prince Poppycock - Really sad he didn't keep doing this. Maybe this will propel him into a new career. I see your point about the music, but maybe it was a different experience live.

Ryan Stock & Amberlynn - This was tough. But just like Uzeyer, I give them props for redoing the one that got away.

Samuel J. Comroe - Booked out for TWO YEARS?? That's so wonderful. I love AGT success stories. And tonight was spectacular. He has a shot.

Paul Potts - There's no doubting this guy's talent, or his success, which almost rivals Susan Boyle's. I loved this performance. Much better than Christina, that's for damn sure. That last note gave me goosebumps.

Jon Dorenbos - I echo everything you said. This guy's a winner. And that story - fuck me. What a shocker that had to be. But thank god they caught it in time. That's a damn miracle right there. That's awesome he got a ring anyway. I'm not worried about his future.

Billy & Emily England - Another great success story! Caesar's Palace! I may have to check them out! This performance was amazing, but I'm not sure I saw anything new, including the beard swing.

So Paul Potts gets the nod over Jon and the Englands. I could gripe, but he deserved it.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Don't think I'm going to be doing a full write up for tonight's show. Too tired. But I'll give my top acts before they announce who is moving on.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Issy Simpson and The Texas Tenors open the show and both absolutely freaking killed it.

1-2 combination Drew Lynch and Paul Zerdin, both very good, but neither as good as Issy and Texas Tenors. Though I have no freaking clue how Paul did what he did.

Moonlight Brothers wouldn't have made the finals of any AGT. Shows how much talent there is in Denmark...

Tape Face was awesome. I love this guy. Howie and Terry both did great with him. No chance he'll win because he's too polarizing, but it was a blast.

Kechi got BETTER, and who even knew that was possible. And I was right, by the way.

Regurgitator did his thing. Love this guy.

The singers are freaking BRINGING IT tonight. Brian Justin Crum was absolutely impeccable.

Kenichi still has it. But I don't think he comes out on top tonight. This was just such a stacked show.

I think BJC probably goes through. Maybe Issy if they remember back to the beginning of the show. Maybe Texas Tenors because everyone with an opera element seems to have a huge pull with the voters.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Week 4!

Issy Simpson - She's TEN, and doing magic like this?? That's astonishing. I love her magic, and her child's imagination. I don't see her going through, but that "first book you ever read, Simon" had me rolling.

The Texas Tenors - Ten years, and they're still just as smooth as ever. They've actually gotten a lot better, I think. Not my cup of joe, but good for them and their success.

Drew Lynch - How can you not love this kid? I mean, how? Rough he got stuck on the same show with Paul, but good for him for coming out swinging. He's hilarious. This is a really stacked show, but stranger things have happened than him going through.

Paul Zerdin - That was incredible. Simultaneous action! Didn't think that was possible!

Moonlight Brothers - Well, some of these foreign winners are basically here to fill space. They're here, basically, to lose. Meh.

Tape Face - I love everything he does, everything he ever will do. This was so funny I damn near soiled myself. I have to see this guy live sometime. Wow.

Kechi Ogwuchi - Maybe the biggest comeback story in AGT history. You know, no female singer over the age of 12 has ever won this show. Can Kechi be the first? Simon sure thinks so. It's evident the finals is going to be top-heavy with singers, but can Kechi go toe to toe with Susan Boyle? Can't wait to find out!

The Professional Regurgitator - No one in the world can do what he does, but following Kechi plus Simon's X all but killed his chances.

Brian Justin Crum - Damn, he had me from that opening note. Interesting adaptation of Elton's classic. He certainly found his lane. Good for him.

Kenichi Ebina - Still easy to see why he's the only dancer who's ever won AGT. But he's at that age when doing what he used to do so well is nearly impossible. I still love him, and I'm glad he got that taste of success her deserves.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

So Keichi and Brian Justin go through.

A three-way tie between Tape Face, Drew, and Paul! With only 50 voters, it had to happen eventually.

Kechi and BJC certainly deserve it, but do you realize that SIX of the eight finalists so far are singers? With Jackie coming next week?

Do you also realize that not ONE single winner of AGT has moved on? Bianca, Paul, Kenichi, Darci Lynn, all gone. That doesn't bode well for Shin Lim, does it?

However, it the pattern holds, Jackie should make it. I hope Terry gives her the Buzzer and not leave it to chance. The only other musical acts are Sal the crooner, Sons of Serendip, and a British winner (pianist drummer remixer). Jackie had better freaking go through, and the door might be wide open for a non-singer to go with her.

I HOPE it's more than just the 50 states voting in the Finals. A show like this deserves more than just a miniscule random sampling of America. It deserves ALL of America.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I hope so too. Shin Lim still should get through, he's just on another level and next week doesn't look as tough. I can't believe that Sal is worth 3 million dollars now and is one of AGT's biggest success stories. How does that make any sense?

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Attraction - WOW. This was obviously very reminiscent of the Silhouettes, but I honestly think they do it BETTER. I lost count of how many times I felt the chills run through my body during that performance. It was BREATHTAKING.

Jackie Evancho - She's obviously spectacular. Her voice is flawless. She deserves every bit of the success she has gotten. That being said, its not as WOW factor as when she was 10. I don't think it's a stretch to say that may hurt her. Love her though. I just think I loved Attraction more, and that's to say nothing about the next 8 acts.

Colin Cloud - This was almost TOO good, like there's no possible explanation beyond it being an elaborate set up. He's brilliant, but Shin Lim is also coming up later... Was it enough? Will others not buy in? We'll see.

Lost Voice Guy - Tremendous story, I just don't really find him very funny. I only chuckled one time.

Sal Valintinetti - He's fun, he can sing, he's entertaining, but nothing about him makes me go WOW. Maybe it's just not my thing.

Tokio Myers - His talent is obviously amazing, but I dunno, I wasn't really blown away by this performance.

Kseniya Simonova - I can not describe to you how much I loved this. Like, dude,I am speechless. My jaw was hanging open the entire time. Its unlike anything we have seen before on AGT. Captivating, moving, I'm so happy Terry agreed. She's so unbelievably incredible. This is one of my favorite acts EVER. I can't get over how fast she works with that level of precision. I'm rambling but I'm just SO impressed.

Cosentino - Who the hell just wakes up one day and says "I want to do THIS with my life?" He's out of his mind, but he's really great at what he does.

Son of Serendip - They are very good, I loved them from the first time I saw them. I've seen them doing things on tv before. they performed at Boston's Christmas Tree lighting last year or the year before. I'm glad they are still doing it. Not enough tonight, but they're great.

Shin Lim - There is no greater card card magician on planet earth than Shin Lim. He's my winner. I can't believe my own two eyes. March 9th can't get here soon enough so I can see him for myself.

I think the final 3 was very well decided, and throw in the buzzer and the two that got through were 100% correct. Think Attraction could have made it through on a weaker night. Them, Shin and Kseniya is the strongest top 3 acts of any of these Champions shows.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Week 5 - Terry Crews gets the GB!

Attraction - The difference between Attraction and the Silhouettes, obviously, is that they have fewer people and they're all adults. That allows them to streamline their act, and it shows. Plus, they tell stories that tug at the heartstrings just as well as Silhouettes. It's beautiful, but going first is tough to overcome.

Jackie Evancho - As Deadpool said, and now for the moment I've all been waiting for. Damn, she's grown into a gorgeous woman, and her voice is as flawless as ever. I maintain that she didn't need to win Season 5 half as much as Michael Grimm did, as her future was made the second she stepped on that stage. I really want her to go to the finals. She's earned it.

Colin Cloud - That was BONKERS. You're right, there's just no way. Brilliant! And also... former AGT judge The Hoff!

Lost Voice Guy - Good for him for overcoming his handicap. And he won in Britain! But, gotta agree with you, it's just not funny to me.

Sal Valintinetti - My favorite Sinatra guy was on Season 3, Paul Salos (who is also my my FB friend!). He's good, but he doesn't have Paul's smoothness. Great underdog story, though.

Tokio Myers - He's very good, no doubt. I love musicians who really feel what they're doing and pay it forward. But I don't see him advancing.

Kseniya Simonova - There was a sand artist on the show years ago (the same year as Michael Close and his earth organ, and Fighting Gravity). But this is next-level. It's gorgeous, and good for Terry for putting something DIFFERENT into the finals. The bad news is that either Shin Lim or Jackie will be eliminated.

Cosentino - There have been some phenomenal escape artists on AGT. This guy is as good as any of them. He's certainly committed (and probably should be, lol). Really enjoyed his act.

Sons of Serendeip - They're class guys, that's for sure. Glad they had a spot on this show, and glad they've done well. They were amazing tonight, but tonight was not the night for musical acts, apparently.

Shin Lim - There are no words. He's the best card magician OF. ALL. TIME. And I still get moved to tears by how cool and gracious Zurcaroh was when they lost. Most other runners-up are devastated. But 'nuff said. He's in. He deserves it. On to the finals.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I have to admit, this is NOT how I saw the Top 10 shaking out. To recap:

Susan Boyle, BGT runner-up
Paul Potts, BGT winner
Kseniya Simonova, UkGT winner
Cristina Ramos, SpGT winner

Shin Lim, AGT winner (the only one who made it!) (born in Canada to Singaporean parents)

Then you have:

Kechi, AGT finalist (from Nigeria)
Deadly Games, AGT finaiist (forget where they're actually from)
Angelica Hale, AGT runner-up (born to Filipino parents)
Brian Justin Crum, AGT finalist (gay)
Preacher Laweson, AGT finalist (African-American)

So looking at this group ... I can't imagine a Top 10 more demographically diverse.

Six singers, one comedian, one magician, one danger act, one visual artist.

Who will win. I have NO FREAKING CLUE. If I were Vegas, I thin the favorite has to be Susan Boyle. Deadly Games are probably the longest shot. Beyond that, anyone could step in and take the title.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

According to Shin Lim on his facebook page, there are two Wild Cards, and they went to Darci Lynne and Jon Dorenbos. Two great choices if you ask me.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Geezer wrote:According to Shin Lim on his facebook page, there are two Wild Cards, and they went to Darci Lynne and Jon Dorenbos. Two great choices if you ask me.
Oh yes? Totally agree.

So all 12 will perform on Monday (hope we finally get a chance to vote) and the results will be the following Monday. So exciting!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

THE FINALS!!!

Cristina Ramos - I'm sure she was in a bit of a quandary; she has an operatic voice, but she can't out-opera Paul Potts. Obviously mixing opera with rock is her thing, and honestly... it just doesn't work as well as it should. I didn't care for the song choice, but I won't dispute that she's very talented.

Preacher Lawson - Not his best set, but I laughed. He's a longshot regardless ... God help all of us if Darci Lynn wins again. Speaking of which...

Darci Lynn - :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o I'm speechless. Wow. Just ... wow. That's how you win champions. She's Top 3 for sure.

Deadly Games - Amidst all the singers, it's great that an act like this made it through. They won't win, but good for them. Now if I could get my heart to slow down...

Kechi - More than half the field are singers, but how interesting that no two are really alike (I suppose the two closest together would be Kechi and Angelica, but that's a stretch). She's awesome and a true champion.

Brian Justin Crum - What more is there to say about this guy's voice? Any show on Broadway would be lucky to have him. He's for sure in the running.

Jon Dorenbos - His pic is next to the word "survivor" in the dictionary. He's going to be a success at whatever he does. This trick was amazing. Love him.

Angelica Hale - I am not worried about this girl's future. She's going to go on to great things, regardless of how this show ends. I don't see her winning, but I love that she made it this far. Go Filipina girl! (Have you noticed that they've skipped over Heidi during almost all the comments? What gives?)

Kseniya Simonova - Can something like this, which is so markedly different from everything that's ever been on this show, actually win?? That would be something, wouldn't it? Girl deserves it if she does.

Paul Potts - Nessun Dorma. The go-to aria for so many opera singers on so many GT shows. Short, powerful, shows off the range. That being said, it wasn't my favorite performance of his. Still, glad to see his genre represented so well. And the shout out to Season 3 winner Neal E. Boyd was really classy (he won with Nessun Dorma too.)

Shin Lim - How many different ways can he do card tricks and be so freakin' impossibly amazing every single time?? It's beyond physics, logic, reason, sanity. He's the best there is.

Susan Boyle - Her own name is a big one to live up to, for sure. She may be the sentimental favorite simply because she's SO successful despite not winning. I honestly still thing it's hers to lose.

Not even going to handicap it. So many acts COULD win.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Cristina Ramos - I just really don't love her. At least they fixed the fact that the "superfans" chose her over Darci by giving her a wild card.

Preacher Lawson - I like him, but I didn't think this was his best set. I don't think he's got much of a shot to win it all.

Darci Lynn - DID THAT JUST HAPPEN??? She can win this whole thing as a WC, and she never should have needed to be a WC in the first place. I am so blown away. she sang Opera as well as Jackie Evancho, WITH HER MOUTH CLOSED. Best ever for sure.

Deadly Games - Started shaky but finished strong! I don't think this type of act ever had a chance in hell of winning the competition, but it entertained me.

Kechi - I thought she was better last time, but she's still absolutely got a shot here tonight. I don't put her in the same category as Darci though, everyone is going to be judged against her tonight, until someone does better.

Brian Justin Crum - BJC came to play tonight! What a performance. Damn, I could see him on a Broadway stage in his future, he's got that level of pipes if he chose to go that route. That was such a powerhouse chills-inducing performance. He's in a clear second place for me right now.

Jon Dorenbos - He's so so so incredible. He can win. I love that he's so different from Shin Lim, they are both incredible in their own perfect way. I love this guy, I'd watch him talk about anything and everything and be riveted, let alone do incredible magic. Phenomenal.

Angelica Hale - I love her, but this is another one of those times I have to compare to what came before her, and she was no Darci, BJC or Dorenbos tonight. Not her best performance, I disagree with Mel B, but I hope she becomes a superstar.

Kseniya Simonova - Terry said it best. I've never been moved in such a way by anyone more than her on this show. I really almost started crying. She tells a story in such a way, so incredibly quickly, with such detail. I could watch her work for hours and never ever get sick of it. I'm just blown away. If she won, I'd be so happy, even if in this field I still think its a long shot.

Paul Potts - He's got to be one of the best opera singers in the world, but can he do it WITH HIS MOUTH CLOSED? I THINK NOT! Ok I'm done, that was phenomenal, but I can't put him ahead of Darci or Jon or Kseniya.

Shin Lim - The man is a freaking WIZARD!!! Like I said, he's so different from Jon, who always uses his personality to tell a story and does a big incredible trick. With Shin he hits you hard and fast again and again and again with one jaw dropping trick after another and you just find yourself mesmerized without him saying hardly a word, it is all his magic. And I love the contrast. They are two of my favorites to ever step on the stage, but I think Shin Lim might BE my absolute favorite of all time. I don't really need to see what Susan does, he'd still get my vote.

Susan Boyle - She is great, but I think she's getting by on her name now, as far as this competition goes. I don't want to criticize too much, because she belongs on this stage, but I wouldn't put her in the top 5.

Here's how I'd rank them, from 1-12, knowing that some of these the margin is razor thin:

1. Shin Lim
2. Darci Lynne
3. Kseniya Simonova
4. Jon Dorenbos
5. Brian Justin Crum
6. Paul Potts
7. Kechi
8. Susan Boyle
9. Deadly Games
10. Preacher Lawson
11. Angelica Hale
12. Christina Ramos

I'd be very happy with any of the top 4 winning.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Bumped to the next page.