Fall Schedule 2010

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: Fall Schedule 2010

Post by W »

Just saw an article (advertisement?) for a new show on AMC which fittingly starts this Sunday. It is called "The Walking Dead" and is about a guy that wakes up from a coma to find a world of zombies (that sounds familiar... hmm...). I guess it is based on a comic book series of the same name and the listed "creator" Frank Darabont (though he didn't make the comic, so how could he have created it?). There's a trailer on IMDb, but it's very late, so I'll watch it tomorrow.

It's from the channel that brought us Breaking bad, has a 28 Days Later vibe (or complete ripoff... we'll see), and produced (made?) by the director of Shawshank so I've got to give it a chance...

This is what IMDb says about why it looks like it really ripped off 28 Days Later, but didn't actually (not that I completely buy it): It was claimed by Robert Kirkman in the letters portion of the comic book that he had the idea of a character waking up from a coma and finding the world overrun by zombies back in late 90's and early 2000. 28 Days Later debuted in cinemas in 2002 (UK) and in June 2003 (US), while The Walking Dead issue #1 was released in Oct 2003. Kirkman knew the comparisons would be made, but decided to keep his opening because in the long run, it was only one scene.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Just watched the trailer for it after having heard about this earlier on today, and while it certainly maintains the opening narrative of 28 Days Later, the atmosphere is very different. It had that Breaking Bad feel to it (especially the opening) as well as some comedic moments (I loved the Walker Brothers soundtrack to the trailer) akin to Dawn Of The Dead as well as some I Am Legend visuals. I've heard a bit about the comics and they are pretty out there so be interesting to see if that is kept in the series. Overall though looks pretty decent and good to see Andrew Lincoln working again after Teachers. Always liked him as an actor, just has a likeable personality. Hopefully we get it over here.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I have already watched EP 1. It's very much an old-school zombie show, like the original Dawn of the Dead. So far it seems good. Not sure how it will last as a full season but I'll be watching it all.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

We've been getting a nice influx of horror shows lately in the US. IFC has started Dead Set (a series that makes fun of Big Brother and adds zombies to the mix) and a Kids in the Hall revival with Death (I believe played by Mark). Haven't gotten around to them yet but both sound promising.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

If it's the UK mini-series Dead Set then definitely check it out. It was broadcast here about 2 years ago and it was great. Although you guys over there won't get the brilliance of seeing Davina McColl as a zombie!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Yes, it's that Dead Set. I imagine IFC will re-run it over the next few months so I'll DVR it.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Yeah, I can't wait for The Walking Dead. The first episode is online, I think if you know where to look.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Undercovers has been canceled. I'm part surprised (I thought Chase would be canceled before Undercovers) but mostly I'm not (the ads and early word killed its changes).

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Burn Notice and Pysch return next week. I'm so stoked!
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Saw an ad for a new show on TBS called Glory Daze. Basically, it looks like a ripoff of Animal House but with Notre Dame being the setting. I give it one season before it's gone (seeing that the critically-panned Blue Mountain State has the crappy college-set show quota met already).

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I've been reading rumors that Spartacus: Blood and Sand might be canceled after one season (not counting the prequel that's being planned) as Starz can't seem to find a worthy replacement for Andy Whitfield (who left the show after being diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma).

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I'm convinced that if Bristol "15 Minutes of Fame Somehow Lasting Two Years and At Least 24 Months Past Freshness Date" Palin wins Dancing With The Stars, then ABC will cancel the show or move it to ABC Family. Too many people being considered for the show will turn it down in protest since they are actually encouraging her to continue being a fame whore. But then again, people who like her are pretty much the only people who watch Dancing With The Stars (this would also explain why V got a Season 2 despite very average ratings and probably why The Middle is doing so well).

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I'm in agreement with you, Boosh. She's been dead last or next-to-dead-last four straight weeks, and yet here she remains. I was convinced a month ago that the Top 3 would be Jennifer, Audrina and Brandy. Two weeks ago, I was convinced it would be Jennifer, Brandy and Kyle.

Good for Bristol and her legion of fans, but she does not deserve to win. Jennifer does. And even if she doesn't and Kyle wins, I can live with that, he's a cool, funny, charming kid. But if Bristol wins... well, you already said it. I find myself hoping that even if she does get the votes to win, the producers will fudge the numbers so she won't. It must be obvious to everyone in creation that she's so inferior to the others. I don't even think she's gotten a 10 on any dance she's done.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

In other news, I've read that Patricia Arquette has stated that Medium will be cancelled after seven seasons. This makes me sad, because I've loved this show from day one. But I have to say, seven years and one change of networks is a very impressive run.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

There is no way in hell the show gets cancelled or moved to ABC Family. It is the highest rated show on tv (outside of the NFL, of course). Why the HELL would NBC want to lose its most successful show? I have no idea why people watch this garbage, but people love it. It makes sense that anyone that would watch this would vote for Bristol.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude