Fall Schedule 2010

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Fall Schedule 2010

Post by Shrykespeare »

http://www.tvguide.com/special/fall-pre ... edule.aspx

Give it a gander. Which of the new shows may have a chance at catching on? Which are doomed? And which of the returning shows are on the "improve or else" watch-list?

Today I will start my day-to-day view on Fall 2010 (and this is based on my limited knowledge of current TV ratings). Your comments are welcome, of course!

MONDAY

Well, Dancing With the Stars, especially after the just-completed monster 10th season, has rejuvenated its audience, so it's almost a shoe-in to win its time slot. House, M.D. is also still a great show, provided the House-Cuddy romance that "began" in the finale last year doesn't prove to be the "jump-the-shark" moment. Chuck is probably going into its final season. I don't watch any of CBS's row of sitcoms, so I don't know which are still popular. They are joined by a new show, Mike & Molly, a sitcom about fat people finding love. It stars some guy that looks like Kevin James (but isn't). It'll be on right after Two and a Half Men, which I have to believe is losing its audience monthy.

Four new hour-long dramas unfold this fall. The most widely-advertised so far is NBC's The Event. I've seen commercials galore for it, and I'm intrigued. We've seen "an assassination plot", a girl's "disappearance", and a "CIA cover-up", none of which are "The Event". So what the hell is? Well, that's the thing. Either this show will catch on big-time (for at least half a season, and then all bets are off), or it'll be just another hype-monster that can't deliver. It's got what looks to be a big budget and a lot of recognizable faces, so I'll definitely be checking this one out.

Going up against The Event is FOX's Lone Star, a prime-time soap from the creators of Party of Five. It centers on Robert (James Wolk) a schemer who leads a double life - he's got two different identities, and juggling two different relationships, in different parts of Texas (hence the title). I don't know... can a show centered on a two-timing liar really fly? Well, the preview I saw included Jon Voight and David Keith, which may or may not help. Personally, with all that's already going on at Monday 9:00, I think it will take a miracle for this show to make it to January.

At 10:00, going up against Castle are two new shows. The first is NBC's Chase, starring Kelli Giddish as Annie Frost, a U.S. Marshall who leads her team on the hunt for dangerous fugitives. The support cast includes a bevy of hunks: Cole Hauser (K-Ville), Jesse Metcalfe (Desperate Housewives), and Amaury Nolasco (Prison Break). It looks entertaining enough (and I must say that Giddish bears a very close resemblance to Fringe's Anna Torv), and I could honestly see it catching on, given its competition. I'm not much into Castle, but we'll see if the bloom can stay on THAT particular rose in its second season.

Also debuting at 10:00 is CBS's Hawaii Five-O... yes, a revamp of the 1970's crime drama starring Jack Lord. Hmmm. Yes, it's got a good locale, and it's got a reasonable cast, including Lost's Daniel Dae Kim (moving one island over) and Scott Caan (as, I presume, "Dan-O"). But stepping into Lord's role of Steve McGarrett is Alex O'Loughlin, who has already proven that he can't carry a show past its first season, not once but TWICE (Moonlight, Three Rivers). And show me one revamped TV show that's really caught on... I predict an early exit.

Later this week: Tuesday.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

becs
Marty McFly

Re: Fall Schedule 2010

Post by becs »

The fact that Dancing With the Stars is still on blows my mind. So You Think You Can Dance is infinitely better, and the fact that people are still blowing away the ratings records watching semi-celebs mediocre and often fumbling attempts to learn to dance, over watching incredibly talented rising stars, just amazes me.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I actually expected Dancing With The Stars to end last season (where they were desperate enough to get Kate Gosselin and a professional dancer beat everyone).

Jon Voight's already failed in television with his stint on 24 so why would another show with him do well. Also, no one likes him anymore.

Chase sounds similar to Karen Sisco, which failed to catch on despite being produced and created by Elmore Leonard.

And Alex O'Loughlin's still getting leads? Though I can cut him slack on Moonlight. That show was never going to catch on (due to being a ripoff of Forever Knight).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

becs wrote:The fact that Dancing With the Stars is still on blows my mind. So You Think You Can Dance is infinitely better, and the fact that people are still blowing away the ratings records watching semi-celebs mediocre and often fumbling attempts to learn to dance, over watching incredibly talented rising stars, just amazes me.
No arguments here, becs. But America is dance-happy, and the format favors famous people over rising stars, unfortunately. I eschewed DWTS for the longest time, but the wife gradually wore me down.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Battlestar Galactica and V are revamped shows and they both did pretty well.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, half-right.... Battlestar Galactica was a TV show, but V wasn't.... it was, in fact, a TV miniseries (actually, TWO miniseries). But your point is taken.... BS seems to be the exception.

So, let me rephrase... has there ever been a revamped TV show on any of the major networks that worked?

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Does Star Trek: The Next Generation count? It could be considered a spinoff, but it came out decades after the original, which was cancelled after the second season. I would think so it'd count...
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

No, it wouldn't. Same title, but different characters and in a different time period. Hawaii Five-O has been updated for the present day, but the characters (right down to their names) are the same. If they were to create a new Star Trek TV show with Kirk, Spock and crew, then it would count.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

You're probably right, I don't see it doing well either, as for any of the monday shows, I watch Chuck, Gossip Girl, and Castle. I tend to check out the pilot of every show, unless i think it just looks awful. But if the pilot doesnt hook me, I usually don't go back to it.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Shrykespeare wrote:No, it wouldn't. Same title, but different characters and in a different time period. Hawaii Five-O has been updated for the present day, but the characters (right down to their names) are the same. If they were to create a new Star Trek TV show with Kirk, Spock and crew, then it would count.
...That would rule out V as "revamped"... Different characters, different time periods...
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Yeah, Hawaii 5-0 won't last 10 episodes. It'll go the way of Knight Rider, Bionic Woman (which actually wasn't bad), Moonlight, etc.

Like UDM, I try to watch most, if not all, the pilots of all the new shows.

Out of the new Monday ones, I'll watch Mike & Molly, The Event, and Chase. Lone Star sounds stupid and I wouldnt touch HAwaii 5-0 with the devil's dick.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Early trade word on Mike and Molly has been very positive. In fact, it was CBS's first pick-up for the fall season.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

TUESDAY

NBC's The Biggest Loser continues, season after season, to perform well in the 8-10pm slot. FOX's Glee has also developed quite a following at 8pm, and though I don't watch NCIS, I know a lot of people who do, and the same goes for the CW's One Tree Hill, though I can't help but wonder how much steam those two series have left in them.

Joining the fray is ABC's No Ordinary Family, a drama starring Michael Chiklis and Kristen Bell who, in an attempt to re-bond as a family, take their kids with them on a trip to Brazil. But their rented plane ends up crashing into a mysterious body of water after they run into a storm, and when the family returns home, they find that they have "special" abilities. On paper, it looks like stripped-down family version of Heroes. I think it can work if it doesn't get too top-heavy or ponderous, and it has two stars that have experience playing superheroes (Chiklis in Fantastic Four, Bell in Heroes). But this is an awful tough time-slot to flourish in. If it doesn't do well, ABC may decide to move it to Friday or something.

9pm may be even tougher. In addition to Loser's second hour and the DWTS results show, you've got NCIS's L.A. spinoff. FOX is attempting to counter all this reality and drama with two new sitcoms, Raising Hope and Running Wilde. Hope stars Lucas Neff as Jimmy, a 23-year-old underachiever who has a one-night-stand with a hot chick (Bijou Phillips) who turns out to be a wanted felon. Imagine his surprise when he visits her in prison and finds out that he now has custodial rights over their daughter. (Garret Dillahunt and Martha Plimpton co-star.) Wilde stars Will Arnett as Steve Wilde, an immature, well-to-do playboy who desperately wants to win over Emmy, his childhood squeeze (Keri Russell) by any means necessary. The show is told through the eyes of Emmy's 12-year-old daughter Puddle, who will apparently narrate the story without actually speaking very much within the context of the show. Honestly, these look like non-starters to me.

At 10pm, going against CBS's The Good Wife (which I'm amazed is still on) and NBC's Parenthood is a brand new gritty cop-drama, ABC's Detroit 1-8-7. It stars Michael Imperioli (whose last cop drama, Life On Mars, was axed way too soon) and Aisha Hinds (Hawthorne), and looking at the preview on ABC.com, it looks like kind of a throwback. And by that I mean, it's going for the gritty street-feel, like previous hits Hill Street Blues and The Streets of San Francisco once did, with a dash of Cops thrown in. On paper, it looks exactly like the kind of series that critics love but it takes a while for viewers to warm up to. And in this day and age, when new shows are given practically no time to build an audience, will Detroit 1-8-7 have that opportunity?

Later this week (or perhaps even tomorrow): Wednesday

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Raising Hope sounds like the first show to be axed in 2010. Having Bijou Phillips around is always a sign that it will suck and no one will watch.

Glee will lose steam in its second season. Always seems to happen to shows that become cultural phenomenons in the first season (see Twin Peaks).

Parenthood will be gone in mid-season. The first season had pretty lackluster ratings and I still think attempting to adapt Parenthood to a series (this is the SECOND time that this has been done, the first version was a sitcom and bombed) was a dumb idea.

And The Good Wife got a second season because the first season performed well. Same with NCIS: Los Angeles.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Yeah, I'm already getting tired of Glee - I still haven't watched the last two episodes of the season on my DVR. But then again I tend to get bored with shows after the first seaon.

Raising Hope and Wilde will probably be gone by the end of the year - when was the last time FOX had a successful sitcom?

The Good Wife is supposed to be really, really good but I've never bothered with it -same with Parenthood.

I'll definitely be watching No Ordinary Family though, it sounds good.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife