Fall Schedule 2010

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Fall Schedule 2010

Post by Shrykespeare »

FRIDAY

Friday's always an interesting night... there are a usually some good shows to be had, despite the fact that Friday is not a ratings bonanza like most other weeknights, for the simple fact that Friday is not a night when people feel like watcing TV. (At least, that's always what I thought.)

At 8:00, NBC starts off the night with my favorite Friday night show, Medium. I've loved this show from Day One, and not just because it takes place in Phoenix! The writing is terrific, and the Patricia Arquette still brings vitality to her role as the "psychic soccer mom". It's been moved one hour earlier now that The Ghost Whisperer is gone (fuckin' finally). Up against it is FOX's Human Target and two reality shows, which made their debuts in the last year.

ABC brings back Secret Millionaire, which, if you don't remember, has pretty much the same premise as Undercover Boss: basically, rich people shed their swanky lifestyle, spending a week in neighborhoods that are either crime-ridden or disaster-plagued, and they search for worthy causes or people to donate their money to. I watched it when it came on before, and (again, much like Undercover Boss) it's nice to see warm and fuzzy TV from time to time.

NBC has two shows slated for this time slot: the first is Who Do You Think You Are?, a fairly interesting show that involves celebrities tracing their genalogies; the other is a show called School Pride, which might as well be called Extreme Makeover: School Edition. Basically, a team of do-gooders travels to the must run-down elementary schools in the nation and rallies their respective communities to help rebuild them. Wow, that's just so much warmth and fuzziness in one hour! (Well, except for Human Target, which I thought was just corny as hell.)

9:00 is really a mixed bag: you've got CSI: NY (CBS) and Dateline NBC (NBC, duh), two fairly well-tenured shows. You also have the CW's Supernatural, which has got a big cult following as well. FOX has The Good Guys, which I'm fairly certain won't last the year.

ABC counters with a new drama called Body of Proof, which stars Desperate Housewives' Dana Delany as Dr. Megan Hunt, a brilliant neurosurgeon whose promising career is cut short by a car accident. Working now as a well-respected medical examiner, she goes to the mat for the victims that end up on her slab, making sure justice is served while trying to rebuild her relationship with her daughter. TV veteran Jeri Ryan co-stars, along with veteran character actor John Carroll Lynch. Honestly, I don't know. It could work, but on first look it seems a lot like Crossing Jordan (which gave NBC seven great seasons), only without the quirkiness and emotional warmth. TV does not need another procedural show, particularly not with Kathy Mayfair at the head.

At 10:00, ABC returns crusty vet 20/20, while NBC and CBS offer up new dramas. L.A. Law alum Jimmy Smits retuns to NBC with Outlaw, in the role of Cyrus Garza, a Supreme Court Justice who shocks the nation by resigning his seat from the biggest bench in the land, in order to become a defense attorney, taking seemingly unwinnable cases. The preview looks pretty good, but can Outlaw succeed when James Woods and Shark could only squeeze out two seasons?

Taking Numb3rs' place on CBS's is a new show called Blue Bloods, which follows, as you can probably surmise, a family of cops. The Reagans are all NYPD, starting with Frank (Tom Selleck), the Chief of Police; his eldest son, Danny (Donnie Wahlberg), who has no problem skirting the lines when it comes to proper procedures, if you get my drift; youngest son Jamie (Will Estes), a rookie fresh from the academy; and daughter Erin (Bridget Moynahan), who is not a cop but an ADA (but not under Jack McCoy, unfortunately...); and family patriarch Henry (Len Cariou), now retired from the force. On paper, it looks great... the locale, the cast, the premise. And I hate to diss Donnie Wahlberg (we were born on the same DAY), but this is his third cop drama in the last decade, and neither of the other two, despite being equally promising (Big Apple and Boomtown), made it past the first season.

But does it matter? Friday at 10:00 never has been, and never will be, a goldmine for television. Anything lucky enough to draw a large crowd on Friday usually gets moved to a better night. I, for one, am just thankful that Medium has been able to survive this long, and one not one but TWO different networks.

Next up: SUNDAY
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

I actually enjoy watching The Good Guys, and I hope it makes it past the first season.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Something bizarre about Outlaw and NBC airing it: the show is produced by none other than Conan O'Brien. Yes, the same Conan O'Brien that was forced out of his Tonight Show position earlier this year. Apparently NBC and Conan's production company had an agreement to develop a show together and Outlaw was the result.

And why is the CW airing Supernatural on Fridays? This is apparently their most popular show and yet they are leaving it out on the curb. Why don't they move something like the moribund One Tree Hill to Fridays? Oh wait, the CW hates shows with genre appeal (who can forget how they delayed the start of Reaper's second season six months and canceled it not long after debuting that long-delayed season).

And here's why Ghost Whisperer lasted so long: people like to ogle Jennifer Love Hewitt. In fact, the show was set to return on ABC but Hewitt didn't want another season so it ended.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SUNDAY

Hmm... not one new show debuting on Sundays. Everything is a returning show!

NBC will trot out Sunday Night Football, which will run from September through December. Ratings on this usually depend on who's playing.

FOX returns its four animated mainstays: The Simpsons, The Cleveland Show, Family Guy and American Dad. Seriously, how much longer can The Simpsons keep going?

CBS will return The Amazing Race and Undercover Boss, and cap the night off with CSI: Miami, which makes the move from Monday nights. I still love Amazing Race... as reality competitions go, it still kicks ass.

(Just a thing about Undercover Boss: it was a big hit early in the year. Everyone knows about it. So how to they propose to get away with it from now on? Don't you think an "entry-level guy" being followed around by a camera crew is a dead giveaway now? I mean, it's one thing for people who work for a company/corporation that employs tens to hundreds of thousands of people not to know what the CEO/owner looks like, but after the hit the show has become, the element of surprise has gone. I'm interested to see if the show's creators can get, well, creative with how they explain away the camera crew.)

Finally, ABC retuns with Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Desperate Housewives and Brothers & Sisters. Wait a sec... wasn't Housewives cancelled? I was sure I heard that it was axed. Oh well, guess not. Still won't watch it.

So that's it, that's what the fall season looks for network TV now. The rest is up to the viewers.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

An even bigger question: how long can American Dad keep going? Does anyone watch that show anymore?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Shrykespeare wrote: I still love Amazing Race... as reality competitions go, it still kicks ass.
I totally agree, head an shoulders above all other reality competition shows. That is probably the one network show I seriously regret not having tv for at times. DAMN YOU CBS for not being on Hulu and having a crappy web player.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

And Love Bites has been canceled before airing any episodes. The Apprentice will be replacing it.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Turns out, Love Bites has not been canceled but has simply been delayed to midseason (due to a change of showrunners along with one actor taking a leave of absence). It wouldn't surprise if it did get canceled.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Backlash that I'm already expecting to happen: Raising Wilde has the English-born Peter Serafinowicz playing a Middle Eastern character. Though Serafinowicz is known to be a great actor with voices and impressions (having voiced Darth Maul in Star Wars Episode I, done ADR work for Pele and set to voice Paul McCartney in the Yellow Submarine remake), I can't see this working.

But then again, it might be just a recurring role in which he only appears in a few episodes.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here is a list of when all the fall shows have their premieres:

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/2 ... 26354.html

In other news, Dancing With the Stars has revealed its lineup for Season 11:

Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino (Jersey Shore)
David Hasselhoff (America's Got Talent, Baywatch
Rick Fox, ex-Los Angeles Laker
Bristol Palin, Sarah's daughter
Kurt Warner, former Arizona Cardinals quarterback
Florence Henderson, The Brady Bunch
Audrina Partridge, The Hills
Michael Bolton, "singer"
Brandy Norwood, actress/recording artist
Margaret Cho, comedienne
Kyle Massey, That's So Raven
Jennifer Grey, Dirty Dancing

Well... no obvious ringers like Evan Lysacek or Nicole Scherzinger this time. If I had to pick the final three right now, I'd probably guess Brandy, Rick and the Hoff. I know nothing about Sorrentino, Massey or Palin, so they're wild cards. I'm pegging Cho to be the first one out.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

First, has Margaret Cho's career really declined that much? Or is she simply preparing something for a forthcoming stand-up concert? (I'm betting on the latter.)

And second, why do we still care about Bristol Palin? Didn't her fifteen minutes run out in 2008? Why can't she disappear like Octomom did?

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Jennifer Grey!? WOAH there is a blast from the past. She should take the whole thing, but who knows.

As far as Margaret Cho, has her career ever really been that successful that you wouldn't see her here? I mean I am even a fan of her standup and I still don't see her as being that popular. Really all she has going for her right now is a supporting role as a secretary on the barely noticed (except by fatties) Drop Dead Diva, I would say that puts her well in the right list level to be on Dancing.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Cho never really had a career to begin with...
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Her stand-up has a cult following and some of her concert films have been successful in the arthouses. She's also big among the LGBT community.

You can be unknown and still have success. Look at Bill Hicks before he died.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Who the hell is Bill Hicks
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife