Lost

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Lost

Post by numbersix »

The idea od the plane landing causes all sorts of problems. Firstly, when the 04 Oceanic flight didn't crash, that was because the island was sunk. Is it going to somehow be raised? Sounds unlikely to me, but I've watched enough Lost to stop stating things like facts! Also, if that was indeed a flashback, and they still ended up on the island, then surely they'd have no knowledge of travelling back to the 70's etc, because that timeline would have been erased. That said, this is a timetravel paradox (eg The Terminator) so that may not be a problem for the writers.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Man, this Island can disappear and reappear based on the spinning of a wheel inside of a cave. You think these writers are going to stick with some established real world space time continuum? They can make up whatever they want at any time. They have a time traveling Island with a Smoke Monster that takes human forms on an Island that can not be seen on any map or found by anyone who doesn't already know where it is. If you are looking for things to make logical sense, I think you need a different show haha! They could easily write in a way that the Island gets raised somehow over the next three years. If an Island can time travel, it can be raised from the deep. And about having no knowledge of the trip to the 70s, I can explain that. When they crash on the Island with the next flight, the two time parallels that have happened could have some sort of clash, in which by landing on the island, they no longer recall anything that happened in their lives, and their memories are merely replaced by what happened in the other time parallel, except for Juliet's, because somehow she knew that "it worked".
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Geezer wrote:The producers have actually said that "something" has taken over Sayid's body. It is most likely Jacob, and he could operate differently than the "Man in Black" AKA Smokey.

About the Parallel story lines: I actually think they are going to crash into each other at some point. They aren't exactly parallel, as one takes place in 04 and one in 07. I think, and its just a theory (one in which I can't exactly take credit for) that the 04 timeline where the plane doesn't crash is all a flashback. They are eventually going to all end up on the second plane, the Ajira flight that crashed, and somehow the Island will have been lifted from the sea and they all end up back there with their memories erased, except for Juliet's who somehow knows "It worked" which is why they brought her back again. This is what we are experiencing with the current 07 timeline. She couldn't have come back just to have another sentimental moment. That had to be an important element. Of course, this is just a theory, and I can't wait to see how it plays out. Hell, they may just run the entire season as two parallel universes, but I don't think its that simple.

I really can't wait to find out more about Richard (aka eye liner boy) and exactly what he is and why he doesn't age. If this isn't explained I'm going to be more than a little pissed.

I tend to agree about the parallel landing in LAX being a flashback, because every time the show went back to there, it had the flashback sound. I kept thinking why are they using the flashback sound if it's supposed to be happening now. I also want to know Richard's part in this story. It seems like the fight is between Smokey and Jacob, but Richard's been there the whole time too.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

One of the reasons I'm pretty confident that the series will end up being "sci-fi"-based rather than "religious" is the simple fact that you can bullshit science-fiction, while you actually have to adhere to a whole bevy of theological and cosmological RULES if you want to talk authentic religion.

I don't think the writers of Lost are going to bother shaping their creation around a previously-formed institution as lofty as Manichaeism (or even, for that matter, as broad as Gnosticism). Obviously, they're dabbling in this stuff. But I think the end result will include a mishmash of theologies that only serve as red herrings. I think Jacob and Smokey will turn out to be non-mystical beings. Feuding, yes. Seemingly supernatural, sure. But I think the ultimate explanation will have these two forces grounded in reality (or, at least, the "reality" of the show's established universe). If anything, the writers might have some fun with it and retrofit their story to have Lost's cosmic back-and-forth go so far back that many so-called religions are simply in place just to explain Jacob and Smokey. (That might be where the hieroglyphics come in). In other words, instead of religion explaining the story--the story "explains" religion.

For now, Jacob might be the face of "good" and Smokey the face of "evil"--but it'll most likely be revealed that things like good and evil are simply constructs in place to explain two diametrically-opposed forces--such as black and white (anyone else remember those damn beads?? I hope those get addressed!). Or, more likely, two forces that depend on each other as much as they resist each other--yin and yang.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

what beads span?

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Adam_and_Eve

Stones, rather. Still in Jack's pocket, I guess.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Adam_and_Eve/Theories

(For the record, I hadn't looked at these pages until now. lol. Just googled "Lost black white jack beads")

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Hmm, I took in a ton of episodes at once and I guess I didn't remember that one. Must not have deemed it very important at the time.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I'm still waiting to clear up exactly what those freaking numbers mean and why they were being broadcast and why they are cursed.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

The numbers have already been explained, but not in the show, in the online mystery game thing called The Lost Experience. It was pretty good, and it went from discovering hidden messages on websites to the physical distribution of Dharma chocolate bars to various comic stores around the world, each wrapper containing a code. Once enough codes were entered into a site a hunt commence for video clips that had to be put together to form one of those orientation videos.

Anyway, the numbers are part of an equation created by a mathematician who was funded by Dharma. Basically the equation was to calculation how long it would take for humanity to destroy ourselves. The numbers were the main components of the equation and one of Dharma's functions was to conduct experiments on the island in order to find ways in which to alter these numbers, and thus find a way for humanity to survive. Why they are cursed I've no idea!

Here's the video:

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote: If anything, the writers might have some fun with it and retrofit their story to have Lost's cosmic back-and-forth go so far back that many so-called religions are simply in place just to explain Jacob and Smokey. (That might be where the hieroglyphics come in). In other words, instead of religion explaining the story--the story "explains" religion.
If that is how Lost ends, it will have been worth the last few years of poorly-written seasons. It's a pretty out-there idea but I like it.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Are there other videos 6? Where can I find them. Thank you for sharing :)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I think that's the only important video. There were some other videos as part of the Lost Experience, including a whole webisode thing in which a woman was trying to track down Hanso, but it's not as important. The details of possibly the most immersive TV-tie in web game can be read here: http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Lost_experience

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

The numbers also were revealed more last week, as the numbers were the ones next to each of the candidates from 815.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yeah I noticed that, but I was too busy being baffled by the last 2 episodes. I know Lost is silly, but when nobody notices a giant stone lighthouse on an island because "maybe you weren't looking for it", not to mention that it contains a magic mirror that helps you watch over "candidates", then it kinda goes too far. I started off this series excited about some answers, but we're getting more and more questions from new mysterious happenings (The Japanese guy, the history of Smokey, the list of candidates, etc).

Also, I can't help but wonder if the "alternate" world where the plane doesn't crash is actually the outcome of what's happening on the island at the moment. Somehow they'll go back in time and truly destroy the island and basically the "alternate" reality we're viewing is one long happy ending.