Lost

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

frendo
Marty McFly

Re: Lost

Post by frendo »

Not to sound pessimistic, but that shit better not end happy. I think the lighthouse is something that only Jacob and dark side dude can get to, unless they allow others to.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

So I've finally caught up on this season of lost and if it doesn't turn out to be some commentary on religion I'll be surprised. There have been some pretty major/obvious digs at religion, Christianity specifically, I mean just in the last episode Richard's blowup of "i've been following him all my life, obeying without question because I trusted he had a greater plan for my life" etc.. there was something else in the 3rd or 4th episode that really stood out too but I don't remember what it was specifically but it was equally blatantly obvious.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

You're probably right. People mentioning being "touched" (by the hand of god?), a leader figure watching over a chosen few (like the book of life), tests on what makes a person good or evil, there's all sorts of religious references. Let's hope they come together to form some sort of smei-coherent idea though!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

NSpan wrote:Image
bam!
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

haha, last nights episode was crazy!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I didn't like the last episode at all. It seemed like a cop out. I mean, how do you kill an unkillable being? Just shoot it in the back. Jack sacrifices himself for the good of the many... No one saw that coming. How about when Jack says, "It looks like that disloged rock is your problem," like some Alabama mechanic? Or my favorite... when LaPedius asked the guy from the 1500's if he knew anything about electronics? Plus nothing was flushed out at all.

And the whole point of the last flashbacks? Eh.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Oh, there's also three alternate endings on Jimmy Kimmel tonight.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I loved it. Yes, the island had crazy shit happening on it, but what really brought me back to the show every week were the amazing characters and the journey that they were going through. If your like me, i'm sure you'll like the ending as well. But if you only watched because you wanted to know where the panda bear came from and what the numbers meant or where's walt-o? hah, then yes i can see you not enjoying the last episode.

as for killing Man in Black, after Desmond removed the rock, and Jack hit MiB, and he was bleeding, showing that now he could be killed. so later when Kate shot him he died.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I'm not some idiot, I just thought the ending was a cop out. Oh, the alternate reality is purgatory/heaven/afterlife and somehow everyone gets there at the exact same time... Except Michael and Walt. And by the way, everyone is happy that they're dead. And killing this BAMF monster guy by shooting him in the back, that's bad planning as well. You can't think of a better way to kill a monster than shooting him in the back?

The ending I was thinking would be great would have been if they sent Desmond down there and he became a white smoke monster and battled the black one while the island was falling apart. That was just what was in my head when they sent him down there.

I mean, I understand everything, it just wasn't any good...

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Ah, well, i thoroughly enjoyed it, and it had everything i was hoping for.

PS to be honest though, there was one thing i wish would of been different, if Mr Ecko would of been the one doing the explaining in the end, instead of who it was. that would of just been icing on the cake.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Eko just dissapeared after his death and he was one of the best characters on the show.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

yea, it's because he didnt want to be on the show.

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

Actually, I have it on pretty good sources that Ecko didn't come back, and was at-least party written off, because the rest of the cast couldn't stand him.

As for the finale, I'm with W. What the fuck was the point of the alternate universe, if they're going to end it with a twist tantamount to "it's all a dream"? Why even have that shit in there at all? And having the ending twist be something that was just started this season is weak too.

People keep bringing up the "it's all about the characters" thing, and I agree. Except what people aren't seeing is what the writers said on the special features way back in season 1. They said, to paraphrase, "we knew the show would only work if the island was a character in itself". So, yes, I want characters to be understood, especially the fucking island character the show revolved around.
When I saw the church and Jack said, "I'm dead too" (which I thought of, but hoped wouldn't be the end) I literally groaned.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Is your source the shows producer, Carlton Cuse, because he has been very open that Ecko really just didn't like shooting the show, especially being on location in Hawaii.

I'm conflicted, as most people are. I too wish that more about the Island's mysteries were explained, but I like how they handled the characters in the finale. They left it open to personal interpretation and discussion, and its something that will be talked about amongst the shows fans for a long time. Did you really expect anything else from "Lost?" because if you did, I don't think you have been paying attention. They wrapped up the most important thing, and that was what will happen to the characters, they just did it in a very Lost-like way: philosophically. It is my understanding that they created the alternate timeline, and it exists, as a way for all of these characters, who learned from each other, grew with each other, and ultimately were the most important thing to ever happen to each other, could be together again, in a sort of "heaven." The way they handled that was far from a cop out. They very easily could have shown the typical view of heaven, but they made you question your own view of what a heaven might be. In this version of it, it didn't matter when a person died or who was still alive at the time. They all got to be with each other, because that was their happy place. They merely centered this around Jack because he was the show's main focus. It was "the Jack Show." And for this finale, they had to end it with his character being the main focus, because it was the best way for them to wrap it up in the limited time they gave themselves.

Was it perfect? Absolutely not. Was it what everyone should have expected? Absolutely.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

That wasn't my source. The one I know is close to many of the cast and crew.

And making a new storyline the last season, in order to make a twist THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OVERALL PLOT AND/OR CONCEPT OF THE SHOW, is the definition of cop-out ending. Especially given that this "alternate reality" started after Juliet set off the bomb the end of last season.