What Shows are you Into?

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Re: What Shows are you Into?

Post by undeadmonkey »

I stopped watching the tudors after the second season, which that season itself was heavily used by the fast forward button. was always planning to watch the third season but so far i haven't gotten around to it, and i doubt i ever will.

yea, i don't think game of thrones was fantastic, or was i expecting anyone to be blown away, but like i said, comparing them to the books it was pretty good. with such a long book and only ten episodes a season, they are going to have to move at a breakneck speed. As for the nudity, it seemed pretty tame compared to the book, as far as i can remember. So you were spared the least amount of unnecessary nudity possible, six ;)

on another topic, has anyone seen Twin Peaks? i've seen the first three episodes and i'm not sure i want to continue, does it get better or more interesting? Maybe my expectations were too high as normally i love this kind of mystery show, xfiles, lost, heck i even enjoyed the awful summer series that came out a few years ago where they were stuck on the island for a wedding with a murderer, sorry don't remember the name. So here i am just bored waiting for stuff to get interesting. Yes a lot of weird stuff has happened and is happening, but i can't seem to get involved, the fbi agent is so annoying, and for some reason he doesn't seem like an fbi agent. Some of the actors overacting is so grating, especially some of the teens, who look almost 30 by the way. Is the overacting lynch's style of directing or is it just the actors? anyone think i should continue watching?

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I watched the first two seasons of Sons of Anarchy an it's easily one of the best shows on TV. I can't believe it's on FX because it feels like an HBO/Showtime show. Ron Perlman is pretty awesome, as is Brit Charlie Hunnam (who you can't tell is one here), Katy Sagal, and the rest of the bikers, gang members, police, and white supremesists like Henry Rollins and Assistant Director Skinner (from the X-Files). All the characters have really good backstories and it's really well written the Motorcycle Club is a character all it's own.

I'm also in the middle of the second season of Dexter. Not as good as The Sons, but still very good. I'm not normally a fan of detective dramas, which this is. But there's obviously another element to it, the vigilante/serial killer one which makes it a whole lot more interesting. I'm just not a huge fan of the two main plots so far for some reason, they're just ok, but everything else is excellent.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

on another topic, has anyone seen Twin Peaks?
You may need to teleport back to 1991 to get your questions answered. While you are there, please tell my 11 year old self that girls dig guys who are jerks to them...thanks.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Season Two of Dexter is not exactly the season to initiate yourself with the show, Shryke. For me it was one of the two weakest series in the run of five so far. Season One, Five and especially Four with John Lithgow are the best. And it's definitely not really a detective drama, the serial killer element and how Dexter deals with the dual lifestyle is definitely more important.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Dexter is odd for me...sometimes I have trouble getting through episodes and other times I'm addicted to it. Also, the girl who plays his sister is one of the worst actresses of all time.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I cannot deny that at all. You cringe whenever she is on. In fact there have been plenty of poor female actors on the show. Dexter's crazy english girlfriend in Season 3 almost turned me off the show, while I reckon I was not the only one overjoyed when Rita was killed by Trinity. But generally, Michael C Hall is enough to keep me interested, he is a fantastic actor, I loved him back when he was on Six Feet Under and I think he's just gotten even better since Dexter. So while some of the episodes do drag a little, which is certainly to be expected over the long durations of a season, Hall always makes it entertaining enough.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Dexter isn't bad, although personally I thought Season 3 stank. I heard that 5 wasn't great so I might just stop watching it once I'm done with Season 4.SS, Season 2 is the one with the crazy English girlfriend (and I have to say I really like that character as well as the storyline with Dex almost being uncovered). Also, it's interesting you don't think the actress playing the sister is good. I think she fits her role perfectly as the sort of tomboyish go-getter (and right now in Season 4 something horrible has happened to her and the performance was very convincing).

Twin Peaks is very, very idiosyncratic. It's one of my favourite series of all time, but if you don't buy into the stylised world Lynch created after 3 episodes (realism is that last thing it's trying to be), it may not be your thing. I will say that the last episode of Twin Peaks is possibly the greatest TV episode of all time (but be warned, there's a few episodes in Season 2 that are a drag to get through, because they focus on the teens who are the weakest element. Lynch himself was unhappy with how Season 2 was turning out which is why he intervened to write the last 2 episodes and finish the show properly).

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

I think you can play a tomboyish go getter w/o saying "fuck" every 2 words...it just seems over done, and when she deviates from the tomboy thing and tries to get emotional it doesn't work...she is just a bad actress, in my humble opinion...I think Michael C Hall and the guy who plans Quinn carry the show...I'm glad Quinn has had more screen time the last couple seasons. Last season took a LONG time to get going, but was pretty good in the end...although I have to say it was a huge cop out tonot have Deb discover Dexter and Julia Styles in the cabin...she just let them go, which was a very disappointing way to end such a cliff-hanging moment.

Edit: I also think the episode where he found Rita dead in the bathtub was probably the biggest holy shit moment I've ever had from a TV show...I couldn't believe...I was pissed, stunned, and enthralled all at the same time...that's what shows and movies are supposed to do, in my humble opinion again, they are supposed to fuck w/ your emotions in good ways and bad ways.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Well saying fuck isn't really a bad performance, that's just the writing. But I do like how characters always mock her for her potty-mouth. And I actually think Quinn is the weakest character. The whole corruption arc in Season 3 was very weak, and so far in Season 4 him dating the reporter only bogs the plot down. He also doesn't do much in terms of emotions, but maybe it gets better in Season 4?

Also, just so you know re: spoilers. You have to change the font colour to black as well as add the spoiler, otherwise it's completely readable. Fortunately I had already heard what happens at the end of Season 4 ;)

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

LOL, you can read it, but only if you look really hard...that's just too damn much work.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Ok, I had to stop reading because you were spoiling a lot of it for me, albeit unintentionally.

In other news, Paul Reiser's new show was cancelled after two episodes. It's timeslot will be taken over by The Office reruns.

And has anyone seen the first two seasons of Sons of Anarchy? What did you think about them?
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

The writing was on the wall for Reiser's show before it even started. NBC intended it to be a fall premiere but it was shelved after Jeff Zucker resigned (instead, two more seasons of The Apprentice aired instead). The show was eventually dusted off and meant to be just six episodes and then pulled.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I've seen a few episodes of Sons of Anarchy and Dexter, but haven't been too interested to watch either.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Looking at TNT's summer product.

Franklin and Bash - wasn't this supposed to premiere last year? Because I seem to remember ads back in December for it (basically the same ones they are airing now). Anyway, I can't see it lasting past one year since Breckin Meyer is always a sign that something will suck.

Memphis Beat - Jason Lee as a detective (I imagine this came about after TBS turned down an offer to film a fifth season of My Name Is Earl which had been passed by NBC due to Leno) in what I'm guessing is New Orleans doubling for Memphis. If it combines comedy with action (maybe even go into parody territory like Adult Swim's Eagleheart does), it could do well. If it is a straight action series, it will flop.

Falling Skies - Steven Spielberg doing a more non-partisan version of the right-wing biased V remake. From seeing the ads, I keep thinking of the other Steven Spielberg alien series Terra Nova and I try to figure out what the hell happened to it (is it still on or did it get canceled in favor of more episodes of The Cleveland Show and Raising Hope?). Anyway, I could see this doing well.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Terra Nova isn't an alien series, it's a time travel series and it's going to premiere in the fall