What Shows are you Into?

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: What Shows are you Into?

Post by W »

I saw the V pilot today there's about 100 things wrong with it, but also 100 things that I like about it as well. A bunch of obvious plot holes, but pretty good CGI and a recognizable cast plus the same feeling of hope/blind following vs. uneasiness/conspiracy theory that was in the first one. I wasn't too disappointed, though I'm on the fence with it.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I'm going to catch it online. It was on the same time as the 30 for 30 doc, so I chose that. They have all been really good so far but tonight's "Without Bias" was the best.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I chose V over "Without Bias" because I've been waiting so long for it. :)

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Ah dammit, Without Bias was tonight?!?

I totally forget to set to record it, damn that was really the only 30 For 30 movie I was interested in.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

It's on late night tomorrow and Thursday as well.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

i watched V as well, It wasnt great but i want to see what happens next, so i'll tune in next week again.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

what is this 30 for 30 thing/Without Bias?
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

30 for 30 is a sports documentary series that ESPN is doing where they take 30 stories from ESPN's 30 years and have a director do them. Many of the stories are really insightful from what I've been hearing. I haven't caught one completely yet, but I've seen parts of Peter Berg's where he chronicles Wayne Gretzky's being sold from Edmonton to Los Angeles.

Without Bias tells the story of Len Bias, the Boston Celtics second overall draft choice in 1986 who overdosed on cocaine and died the day after he was drafted and the day that he signed with Reebok.

Others directors that made films for it are:
Barry Levinson
Ice Cube
Barbara Koppel (who I don't know, but won 2 Oscars)
Alex Gibney (Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room)
And others that I haven't heard of, but are documentary filmmakers (some have Oscar wins/noms)

Some other topics being covered:
Jimmy the Greek -- made a racist comment and was thrown off television.
South Africa and the 1995 World Cup -- I believe these were chosen before Invictis was announced.
Steinbrenners
Marion Jones
Steve Bartman

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Caught V this morning, liked it enough to keep watching. Seems like they tried to do too much though. It'll be a nice replacement until Dollhouse comes back.

KeyserSoze
The McMannus Brothers

Post by KeyserSoze »

Guys, I was lucky enough to see Len Bias play in person while I was in college, and I will tell you he was the best college basketball player I ever saw in person, and that includes Jordan, Worthy, Mark Price, Jerome Lane, Ralph Sampson, Pearl Washington, Dwayne Wade, and Bill Walton. I can't tell you how upset I was that he was drafted by the Celtics, a team I hate more than just about any other in professional sports or how even more upset I was when I heard about his death. The world was deprived of someone who would have been one of the most dominant NBA players we had ever seen, and unfortunately, the Celtics probably would have run off numerous more championships with him and Bird together.

If you didn't watch the 30 on 30 when it first aired, I highly recommend you catch a repeat. You will be amazed that you most likely never heard of this guy.
Who'd win in a wrestling match, Lemmy or God? Trick question, dickhead. Lemmy is God - Chazz and Rex, Airheads

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

For anyone else who didn't see it, it's coming on tonight at 10PM EST on ESPNClassic and at 11:30 PM EST on ESPN2.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

eh, cable...
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

KeyserSoze wrote:The world was deprived of someone who would have been one of the most dominant NBA players we had ever seen, and unfortunately, the Celtics probably would have run off numerous more championships with him and Bird together.
Unless of course he failed his drug tests and was kicked off the team... Or let all the signing money go to his head and bought a Scarface sized amount of coke and OD'd. Which sounds like what he actually did.
"I highly suspected I was becoming a legend." Ignatius J. Riley

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me

KeyserSoze
The McMannus Brothers

Post by KeyserSoze »

Donte77 wrote:
Unless of course he failed his drug tests and was kicked off the team... Or let all the signing money go to his head and bought a Scarface sized amount of coke and OD'd. Which sounds like what he actually did.
Nah, they already had Reggie Lewis for that.
Who'd win in a wrestling match, Lemmy or God? Trick question, dickhead. Lemmy is God - Chazz and Rex, Airheads

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Whether you are interested in the topic at all or not, I strongly recommend watching them. I haven't really been interested in the topics either, but that's what I have loved so much about the series. The Bias one was the only topic I had a great interest in, but the others were such a great learning resource and captivating as well. I love that they are covering topics that, for the most part, haven't really been covered before, at least not as in depth as they do in these films.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude