ReelSociety Forums

Your home for all Reel and Real discussions.

What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to now

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Re: What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to no

Postby Buscemi2 » July 8th, 2018, 7:33 am

After the new Small Town Murder episode mentioned Nailed It (Jimmie can't watch The Wire because his daughter's watching Netflix), I had to watch the second season. Though it seems that the raunchiness got toned down, the basics are still there and all in all, it seems to be a stronger season as a whole. This season also had perhaps the best guest judge in the episode with the savory recipes. There's even a bonus mini-episode that's a crossover with the Queer Eye reboot (Netflix must have loved the Marvel formula).

I'll be surprised if Season 3 doesn't happen (especially with the bonus episode debuting a new set and everything).
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.
Buscemi2
Daniel Plainview

Advertisement

Postby numbersix » August 15th, 2018, 3:09 am

Anyone in the US seen Killing Eve? Is it worth watching?

Recently finished Season 2 of The Handmaid's Tale. What a terrible season. So slow, so repetitive, lots of flashbacks that tell us nothing new or interesting. Characters behaving in nonsensical ways just to surprise the audience. I won't be tuning into Season 3.

Also watched all two season of Atlanta. Now that's a great show (and I've seen all 4 main cast members in plenty of other shows and movies, proving it's a launchpad for talent), funny, strange, surreal, observant, political but not forceful.
numbersix
The Dude

Postby Buscemi2 » August 15th, 2018, 10:55 am

I remember the way Atlanta was promoted and was surprised to find out it was a comedy. It seems like a lot of these critically-acclaimed shows are promoted by people who don't want you to watch them (I remember how HBO marketed Silicon Valley as The Big Bang Theory by Seth Rogen and Insecure was pretty much sold as Girls in Los Angeles).

And I never gave The Handmaid's Tale a chance after I saw they made it look like The Hunger Games. I got chewed out by someone online for liking the film version's color aesthetic (dystopian settings don't have to always look dark and murky). Also, I don't get the praise showered on Elisabeth Moss.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.
Buscemi2
Daniel Plainview

Postby W » August 15th, 2018, 11:21 am

Sharp Objects is pretty good. I've been watching that. It's a Gone Girl-esque serial killer/murder mystery. It's their "we don't have True Detective coming out this year" show. Amy Adams is a reporter that is reluctantly sent back to her hometown to cover the gruesome murder of a second girl. She left home for a lot of very good reasons.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
W
Jack Torrance

Postby transformers2 » August 15th, 2018, 12:10 pm

I've also been enjoying Sharp Objects. Acting is quite good, the atmosphere is eerie and the slow burn of the narrative has forced me to consistently ponder who the killer could be. Very intrigued to see how the final 2 episodes play out.

Atlanta is easily my favorite show on TV right now. It effectively tackles serious issues without forgetting to be funny and features one of the strongest ensembles I've ever seen on television. Season 3 can't come soon enough.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!
transformers2
Maximus Decimus Meridius

Previous

Return to TV Shows