What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to now

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to no

Post by numbersix »

So what did everyone make of Game of Thrones Season 8?

With no spoilers, I'll say I was broadly happy with where it ended up but very much not happy with how it got there.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

NOT a fan. Game of Thrones has always been about the journey, not the destination. As you said, we just hit plot points without justification for them.

Also don't get me started on Bran. 'Mr 'i'm not the lord of winterfell, i'm the three eyed raven' 'oh sure i'll be king' 'for thousands of years' 'muhahahah'

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

In my catching up with Jessica Jones, I tried watching The Defenders. Unfortunately, I hadn't watched the other series and therefore, could hardly make any sense of it.

Also, Iron Fist might be the worst character in the MCU. He's basically what 14 year-olds think they can be.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I finally watched Season 1 of Don't Trust the B---- in Apt. 23 after I had my local library system order a DVD copy for me. Chloe might be the closest depiction of a sociopath I've ever seen in a network sitcom. The character is straight up cruel...and funny. She's like Hannibal Lecter but replace the murder and cannibalism with long cons, prostitution, and a chronic case of alcoholism. And I feel that had Community started a few years later, Dreama Walker would have played Britta.

The show does have some faults (mainly in the early episodes, where you can tell ABC did not give Nanatchka Khan and company much of a budget) but it improves as the show goes on as the edgy humor is embraced rather than avoided (you have to wonder how much more could have been done on cable or streaming and a few more minutes in each episode). There are also times where I wonder how Chloe became the mess that she became. But then again, the weakest Hannibal episodes focused on Lecter's childhood and barely had Will Graham as a focus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Finished the series. The show manages to improve in its second season (too bad only about half the episodes were aired) and even though there was a somewhat conclusive ending, the mystery of Chloe still somewhat remained. Also, I wanted more of Teddy (Chloe's friend from psychopath camp).

However, I'd say I like Fresh Off the Boat more. Khan was able to get more humor out of that show and wasn't limited by the budget issues this show had. Also, the season I've seen of that show didn't have a terrible episode like this one did with the Fox Paris character (they wrote out the crazy neighbor but kept the backstabbing junior analyst?).

Lastly, I found it interesting that the finale basically predicted how Jessica Jones as a TV show would become a reality.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I agree with Six and UDM, not quite satisfied. I have a few friends/family who are (ahem, were) BIG fans of G.O.T, they were complaining ALOT, and now pretend like the show doesn't exist.
Personally, like my father, i was entertained and have minor quibbles about the last season, sure there was some things which could have been better, but overall- its been a pretty good show, probably went from a 9 or 10 /10 to a 8 or 8.5/10.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Is it just me or is there too much TV to watch right now?

Currently I'm watching Barry (good, but getting too silly in Season 2), Chernobyl (fun), Broad City (excellent), and Tim Robinson's I Think You Should Leave (good to Netflix doing something offbeat).

Just finished Kidding (meh), Black Mirror Season 5 (very disappointing), and Succession (not bad),

And have still to watch Season 2 of Dark, the final season of Legion, and god knows what else.

Skipping Season 3 of Stranger Things and The Handmaid's Tale as the second season of each was so poor.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:Is it just me or is there too much TV to watch right now?
Nope, you're not alone. Frankly, I'm kind of astonished how so many people are able to keep up with all these shows. I'm currently watching Legion, Big Little Lies and Euphoria-which is about as much as I can handle at one time. Hell, I still haven't gotten around to Barry, Fosse/Verdon, the latest season of True Detective or any of the 7,000 streaming shows people have reccomended to me over the past few months (I Think You Shoud Leave, which I absolutlely love, is the only Netflix or Amazon show I've seen recently).
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

totally agree. i was so excited for season 2 of Dark and haven't even started it 2 weeks later. Really want to see Chernobyl. Didn't like season 2 of stranger things, but still curious of where 3 will go but haven't had time to start yet either.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Skipping Season 3 of Stranger Things
Dude, you are missing out. I'm about half way through Season 3 and it's fucking awesome. I was also let down by Season 2, but they have redeemed themselves through 6 episodes of Season 3. Can they still fuck it up with the ending? Sure...but the ride so far has been great. I would urge you to give it another shot.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm beginning to believe Stranger Things is the last gasp of 80's nostalgia at this point. The amount of tie-ins they are doing seems to rival the later seasons of Sons of Anarchy (when it became less a show and more a merchandising brand).

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Finished Stranger Things season 3 this past weekend. Fucking awesome. They didn't fuck the ending up like I was afraid they would do and they certainly leave you wanting a season 4 (don't turn off the last episode until you see the mid-credits scene!). I know it's still fresh and may be influencing my mind, but I think season 3 is better than season 1! :shock:

Edit: Also, my wife and I will be getting Scoops A'hoy costumes for Halloween this year :D

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I started Nathan for You on Hulu. Nathan Fielder is an unlikely comedic figure, being a cross between Jay Baruchel and Mister Rogers with a background in economics, serving as a Gordon Ramsay/Mr. Wonderful on Shark Tank-like mentor to struggling businesses using some of the oddest techniques to drum up business. And it's interesting how Fielder creates these ideas and commits to them with pure honesty while also managing to mine humor from the situation. Despite being a Comedy Central series, you could easily see something like this paired with other documentary series that cover similar ground. The show has kind of a shaky start but by Episode 4 (the gas rebate episode), it really has you hooked with the emotion it conveys.

And a question for the Stranger Things fans: why is there so much merchandise based on the Bitchin' episode? I thought the fans hated this episode.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Buscemi2 wrote:I started Nathan for You on Hulu. Nathan Fielder is an unlikely comedic figure, being a cross between Jay Baruchel and Mister Rogers with a background in economics, serving as a Gordon Ramsay/Mr. Wonderful on Shark Tank-like mentor to struggling businesses using some of the oddest techniques to drum up business. And it's interesting how Fielder creates these ideas and commits to them with pure honesty while also managing to mine humor from the situation. Despite being a Comedy Central series, you could easily see something like this paired with other documentary series that cover similar ground. The show has kind of a shaky start but by Episode 4 (the gas rebate episode), it really has you hooked with the emotion it conveys.

And a question for the Stranger Things fans: why is there so much merchandise based on the Bitchin' episode? I thought the fans hated this episode.
The episode wasn't good. It seemed more NBC's Heroes and less Stranger Things. You can have a bad episode/movie with one good line.

Nathan For You was an excellent show. It's crazy how you can take jokes so far that they get picked up on national news. He did that multiple times in the show's short stint. One of the episodes turned into a legitimate Holocaust charity. One they thought was a Banksy art project.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Spent the week watching The Haunting of Hill House, Mike Flanagan's update of the Shirley Jackson novel released last year (I saw that next year, he's adapting Henry James' The Turn of the Screw for Netflix that will serve as Season 2 for this show, giving us competing adaptations between it and DreamWorks' The Turning). It was certainly better than Jan de Bont's adaptation from the 90's (oddly, this one also partially takes place in the 90's). In a way, I found it a cross between Flanagan's Oculus and the real-life events that inspired The Amityville Horror, which in a way makes this the best Amityville movie as well (considering that My Amityville Horror was a documentary and therefore wouldn't count in some eyes). Some episodes (such as Episodes 3 & 6) stand out as among the best while the non-linear structure and different perspectives of each event make it more unique that most horror stories. I also loved that Russ Tamblyn from the 1963 version had a guest appearance in one episode playing a character similar to his Twin Peaks character, Dr. Jacoby.

The finale however I felt could have used some tightening as it was a little long at 70 minutes. However, the payoff worked despite the reveal of the Red Room coming a little sooner than I would have liked. I credit a lot of it to Timothy Hutton's performance as the older Hugh, who plays the role of a grieving widower really well. I must say, Hutton can make any show must see TV. I can't say that about many other actors (that reminds me, the good reviews along with Don Johnson in the cast should get me to watch the Watchmen series).

I think I'm going to catch up on The Great British Bake-Off next.