What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to now

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to no

Post by Buscemi2 »

After the new Small Town Murder episode mentioned Nailed It (Jimmie can't watch The Wire because his daughter's watching Netflix), I had to watch the second season. Though it seems that the raunchiness got toned down, the basics are still there and all in all, it seems to be a stronger season as a whole. This season also had perhaps the best guest judge in the episode with the savory recipes. There's even a bonus mini-episode that's a crossover with the Queer Eye reboot (Netflix must have loved the Marvel formula).

I'll be surprised if Season 3 doesn't happen (especially with the bonus episode debuting a new set and everything).
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Anyone in the US seen Killing Eve? Is it worth watching?

Recently finished Season 2 of The Handmaid's Tale. What a terrible season. So slow, so repetitive, lots of flashbacks that tell us nothing new or interesting. Characters behaving in nonsensical ways just to surprise the audience. I won't be tuning into Season 3.

Also watched all two season of Atlanta. Now that's a great show (and I've seen all 4 main cast members in plenty of other shows and movies, proving it's a launchpad for talent), funny, strange, surreal, observant, political but not forceful.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I remember the way Atlanta was promoted and was surprised to find out it was a comedy. It seems like a lot of these critically-acclaimed shows are promoted by people who don't want you to watch them (I remember how HBO marketed Silicon Valley as The Big Bang Theory by Seth Rogen and Insecure was pretty much sold as Girls in Los Angeles).

And I never gave The Handmaid's Tale a chance after I saw they made it look like The Hunger Games. I got chewed out by someone online for liking the film version's color aesthetic (dystopian settings don't have to always look dark and murky). Also, I don't get the praise showered on Elisabeth Moss.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Sharp Objects is pretty good. I've been watching that. It's a Gone Girl-esque serial killer/murder mystery. It's their "we don't have True Detective coming out this year" show. Amy Adams is a reporter that is reluctantly sent back to her hometown to cover the gruesome murder of a second girl. She left home for a lot of very good reasons.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I've also been enjoying Sharp Objects. Acting is quite good, the atmosphere is eerie and the slow burn of the narrative has forced me to consistently ponder who the killer could be. Very intrigued to see how the final 2 episodes play out.

Atlanta is easily my favorite show on TV right now. It effectively tackles serious issues without forgetting to be funny and features one of the strongest ensembles I've ever seen on television. Season 3 can't come soon enough.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I watched the 2017 season of The Great British Bake Off (the current 2018 season is supposed to hit Netflix here next month). I'm not sure why there was so much hate for this season (which has led me to call it the Fire Walk with Me season). Noel and Sandi were decent replacements for Mel and Sue and I might actually like Prue more than Mary (I can understand why fans in the UK hated Mary leaving because they had the show for longer but I don't think we Americans really developed that connection for her as the first three series never came to the States). Also, the competition was once again good and the winner truly deserved it (by the way, I want a Sophie and Steven travelogue series).

Speaking of the "Mary forever" camp, I really don't get their whole obsession with Frances from that one season. She was far from the best competitor and her showing in the finale wasn't even that good. I have a feeling it's only because they hated Ruby so much and started those rumors about her and Paul. Of all of the seasons that I've seen, Frances was the least deserving winner.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Anyone else watch Maniac on Netflix yet? What a weird show. I can't tell if I loved it or I hated it. Maybe both? Just so weird. Hill was strong in it IMO, I think he pulled off his character. I'm not sure I can say the same for Emma Stone. I think she missed the mark. Perplexed by Justin Theroux's character. I think he was good? I guess the best way I can sum it up is I'm confused :D I was hoping for a little better payoff I guess. It did keep my attention and I certainly binge watched it, so I guess that means it was good enough in my book.

Also started watching Mayans, the Sons of Anarchy spinoff. SOA is possibly my favorite show of all time, so this has a lot to live up to. That being said, I am enjoying it. If you were a fan of SOA I would recommend it, but don't get your hopes up for it being the next SOA. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Walking Dead. Jesus H. Christ. WTF happened here? I'm almost bored to the point of not watching. The only thing keeping me going is I want to find out how Rick dies (and Maggie to a lesser extent). I'm calling it now. The death of Rick will be the death of the show. There are a lot of Rick haters out there, but you can't deny his character still carries the show. I think a lot of folks are sticking around to see how he dies, like I am. Then a bunch of people are going to bail. Hell, based on the ratings, half of them already have! This is a sinking ship. But they've done it to themselves for the shitty writing and dragging out the Neegan story line. He's still alivefor fucks sake. Ugh. This show used to be one of my favorites too. Sad to see something you loved go to shit.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Completely agree with walking dead, season 5 was the last season i still enjoyed. I saw most of season 6, but i found the lead up to negan to be very anticlimactic and i have not found him to be this 'villian' that everyone thinks is so awesome. i skimmed season 6-8 on netflix, just to see what happened to the few characters that i still cared about. This was TWD's greatest asset and it's biggest weakness, main characters that you cared about could die, which upped the stakes and tension, but eventually all the characters you care about are dead, so why keep watching.

I've seen the 1st ep of Maniac, didn't love but might finish the rest of the show. guess we'll see how bored i get.

Also recently finished Elite. Was almost kind of a cross between The OC and Veronica Mars. Wouldnt say it's very original or award worthy in any aspect, but i enjoyed it.

Speaking of Netflix originals, i'me really looking forward to the next seasons of Mindhunter and Dark.

Lastly, have to really commend Netflix on their Original shows geared around food. (not all, their food competition shows have been awful) I'm talking their food documentaries, Chef's Table, Ugly Delicious, Salt Fat Acid Heat, have really enjoyed all of them.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

You didn't like Nailed It, Monkey? I can agree with that Australian spinoff of their Bake-Off show being terrible (it's way too much like American competition shows and missed why The Great British Bake-Off was so good) but Nailed It's been mostly enjoyable.

And even though I haven't liked Fincher's newer stuff, I'll have to watch Mindhunter soon since James Pietragallo keeps mentioning the book on Crime in Sports and Small Town Murder (he's also a massive TV junkie and loves the adaptation). Just as long as he doesn't have overly dark scenes (I see Jeff "Can't Light a Set" Cronenweth didn't do the show so maybe a bullet is dodged).

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

The OC
- guilty pleasure of mine *ducks*

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Brockster wrote:
The OC
- guilty pleasure of mine *ducks*

heh, same here. I haven't seen it since it went off the air, but i'm curious to see how it would hold up.

yea no, I really did not enjoy Nailed It, even tried a few episodes.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I watched the newest season of The Great British Bake-Off. It wasn't as good as the previous season (despite Noel getting to be Noel more often) but there were a lot of interesting contestants and the winner is a very likable person. And as with other seasons, there are a few twists and turns.

And the really early seasons are beginning to appear on PBS and Netflix, through the Beginnings umbrella. Series 3 was its first season (I expect the two shorter series to appear later on) and it was somewhat interesting to find parallels between Series 3 and Series 9. Series 3 is considered a minor competition but I feel it's better than a few of the more well-known seasons.

It will be interesting to see what will be in store for Series 10.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

i just want the original hosts back....

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I like Sandi and Noel. Noel is so left-of-field as a presenter that it works, and his one-liners during the baking sessions are superb.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Is anyone else going to sign up for the Criterion Channel service? The benefits for being a Charter Member are too good to pass up.