What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to now

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to no

Post by Buscemi »

Tonight's the Brockmire season finale (if you haven't seen it, you should). At least Season Two's coming next year.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

First trailer for Star Trek: Discovery. I sure hope it's better than American Gods (though Fuller's involvement's rather limited).

And I think a lot of (but I'm sure some have constructive criticism that doesn't amount to nitpicks and alt-right crap) the people hating on the trailer are just idiots. They think it's got to be about them all the time.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Watched the Brockmire season finale and it's going to be interesting to see what Season 2 will be like (especially if Amanda Peet's character becomes a recurring role similar to Katie Finneran's character). I'm hoping that it doesn't push the reset button like a lot of other sitcoms do or become bizarre like Eastbound and Down did. I love the idea of Jim and Charles on the road and in New Orleans together and I hope we get to see that happen for Season 2 instead of a time jump for budget reasons (though filming in New Orleans shouldn't be any more expensive than filming in Macon, Georgia like Season 1 was).

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

After not getting around to it for five years, I finally watched the last season of Beavis and Butt-head over a couple of days. Though there is still enough humor to go around, it's definitely the weakest of the show's run mainly because of the decision to transport the characters into modern times instead of either keeping them in the 90's or aging them to be in their thirties. As a result, it leads to the season dating itself more than previous seasons. It also doesn't help that in the early part of the season, Beavis and Butt-head get away with some of their actions when you want them to get their just desserts (luckily, the later half gives us a lot of Beavis and Butt-head paying dearly). Also, the lack of Daria was felt considerably. I imagine that either Daria was too well-known or Mike Judge had sold off the rights to the character (outside of creating her, Judge had no involvement with her series) but not having her around as a voice of reason leads the season to have a more sinister tone as Beavis and Butt-head can get away with so much.

In the end, I'm not surprised MTV went against plans for a sixth season and canceled the series with its ending being no where as satisfying as Beavis and Butt-head Are Dead (the first time the series ended I recall was Judge's decision as he was doing King of the Hill as well). Though a sixth season could have also fixed a lot of this season's problems (such as the overemphasis of Jersey Shore footage and not having Daria).

One last complaint: I was not a fan of how Paramount did the scene selection on the DVD set I checked out from the library. Being more familiar with the show through its previous presentations on The Mike Judge Collection, I was hoping for the sequencing to just have the shorts with the option to skip the commentary bits (they have their moments but they are inessential in watching the series). But no, they did the scene selection by how the show aired, meaning you have to fast forward if you want to get to the next scene of the segment. Sure, this is typical of most shows but Paramount should have realized that not everyone wants to watch the same Teen Mom (though the guys probably had a field day with that bit involving Farrah Abraham and the frozen peas) or 16 and Pregnant bit every time.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

So who has been watching Twin Peaks?

Oh my, it's pretty intense. Rather than recreate the tone of the original, Lynch has taken all the tools he developed in Lost Highway, Mulholland Dr, and INLAND EMPIRE and crafted an incredibly dark and disturbing story about the world Cooper and his perverse doppelganger reside in. There are moments of pure horror amongst the sickly unease of every moment. It is some of the most engaging and unnerving television I have ever seen.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Showtime didn't do a free preview for the premiere (I guess they got uneasy after they did with Penny Dreadful's premiere a few years back and numbers weren't strong). I guess I'll have to wait for the 18 hours to finish airing and do a binge.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

So it looks like the Tales from the Crypt revival's dead. I'm not surprised, as Shyamalan's busy with other projects and there had been no movement with it. Also, it probably would have been a watered-down disaster with TNT airing it rather than HBO.

Maybe HBO will consider reviving the series with their new regime and the fact that they finally realized that shows like Girls (this decade's Arli$$) weren't bringing in viewers. But I'd prefer they did the show like Season 7, produced it in the UK, and possibly get Charlie Brooker to be showrunner (though having two units would likely be needed to get to 12 or so episodes, Brooker's all about those short runs).

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Being familiar with the 1997 film version and much of Jay Ward's work but having never seen the original series, I recently watched all of George of the Jungle. There were only 17 episodes (due to budget issues) and it's really three shows in one but George of the Jungle has a lot of the charm and gags that you come to expect with Ward's work. I'm kind of surprised DreamWorks hasn't considered a new adaptation.

The sister series aren't so good. Tom Slick feels like a knock-off of Wacky Races (though this came first) while Super Chicken is nothing more than a television version of the Chickenman radio series with little of the appeal.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Just finished the final season (unless Netflix finds a way to commission a fourth season) of American Crime. This might be the best media, scripted or unscripted, this year. And yet ABC buried it on Sunday nights and then canceled it simply because the viewership numbers weren't up to what they liked. This season's eight episodes were among the series' best and there is so much truth to it that it should be a must-watch for anyone who watches television.

But I guess it was simply too good and too realistic for a conglomerate to keep going in favor of another year of The Middle or whatever 80's nostalgia show they love right now.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Since getting Netflix earlier this year, I've really enjoyed some of the Marvel shows. Daredevil is good, Luke Cage is also good, Iron Fist was so-so. I'm trying to get the rest of Daredevil (I'm on Season 2) as well as Jessica Jones in before The Defenders debuts in August.

Anyone else watch these shows?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I haven't got around to it yet. Netflix Originals tend to be hit-or-miss, IMO (I view a lot of them as being nothing more than network shows where they say fuck a lot). Though I have considered blind buying the UK Blu-ray of Jessica Jones.

And the general opinion seems to be that Iron Fist isn't very good.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Yeah. Daredevil and especially Luke Cage had that gritty, urban feel, which is what you want for the setting of Hell's Kitchen. Iron Fist delves more heavily into Asian mysticism, with most of the NYC scenes taking place in cushy offices or penthouse apartments.

I like that Rosario Dawson is in every series. It really gives the collection an anchor.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I've seen the first 3 or 4 episodes of Iron Fist. The cast just has no chemistry with each other and the 'villains' are so boring. The other shows just haven't interested me at all.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Gave the new adaptation of The Mist a watch and I just have to wonder why anyone at Spike TV or The Weinstein Company thought this was a good idea. Frank Darabont's film is a near-perfect adaptation and all this seems to do is to remake it as a clone of The Walking Dead. It's packed to the brim with cliches and has none of the intensity that the film had. Rebecca Hall's husband makes for a bland lead and no one else is very interesting either.

If Spike thought they would take some of the audience that makes AMC and its family of networks a big chain with this, they failed. I'll be surprised if Season 2 happens.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

In between watching episodes of Killer Kids (the first season's on Netflix but the other three seasons went to Lifetime so you have to DVR them in the morning), I watched every episode of one of the first online series to really get mainstream attention, The Hire. Though these are basically 10 minute ads for BMW, they actually feel more like their own little movies. Clive Owen's character also feels like a prototype for Frank Martin from the Transporter series (though I think The Transporter was already well into development when the series began*). The first season (produced by an uncredited David Fincher) is easily the best season as they really pushed past selling cars and telling stories (though the Guy Ritchie episode is the weakest of the series). The second season (produced by Ridley and Tony Scott through their advertising company at the time) goes more for action and isn't as good but Tony's episode is quite a ride. The series was recently revived with Neill Blomkamp directing an episode but I'm not sure if this one was hinting more episodes or simply served as a teaser for Blomkamp's OATS Studios line of shorts (this one has a lot of sci-fi elements).

The nine episodes run a little under 90 minutes together so you binge them without dropping everything.

* - Edit: turns out Luc Besson was influenced by The Hire. Maybe Owen and Statham could play chase in a movie sometime.