What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to now

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to no

Post by Buscemi »

I did have the HBO free preview this weekend but the show had already started (that or the pilot wasn't named "Pilot"). I ended up DVR'ing Divorce instead (another Sarah Jessica Parker show, this one also featuring Thomas Haden Church).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

saw both episodes of westworld, i think it definitely has potential but if it devolves into everyone turning bad and fulfilling their darkest wishes, it'll get old fast. I understand some doing this, but not everyone has dark wishes to kill someone

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Started another series, the US remake of Who Do You Think You Are? (which is still running on TLC but began on NBC as a Spring replacement). I checked out Season 1 and have watched the first four episodes (the best so far being the Matthew Broderick episode but all of them are fascinating). I don't know if the other seven seasons got home video releases (maybe they're on Amazon).

I also checked out the original Edge of Darkness miniseries from the 80's. I should have seen this by now but never have.

Edit: finished Season One. The last two episodes of the season (focusing on Susan Sarandon and Spike Lee) are among the season's best. I put Season Two (the only other season that got a DVD release) on hold at the library along with the first season of the PBS series Finding Your Roots (which features a similar concept but has two to three guests a show and a theme). If I get to that series' Season Two, it will be interesting if it includes the Ben Affleck episode that nearly got the show canceled.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

ill prob have to check out that original Edge of Darkness myself, what would you give it out of 10 boosh?

Watched episode 5 of westworld last night. Things are falling into place but you still have no idea of what comes next, which makes things so much more intriguing. I also enjoy the actors chewing the scenery, Ed Harris is perfectly cast, James Marsden show's glimpes of actual talent, Evan Rachel Wood is very very good, i would expect her to receive an Emmy for this and Anthony Hopkins plays his usual philosophical faced complex character who runs the show here.
Theres also Clifton Collins Jnr, Jeffrey Wright, Luke Hemsworth (yes the oldest brother), Thandie Newton, Jimmi Simpson and Ben Barnes making the cast very solid. Its difficult to talk about the show without giving too much away so ill just say im enjoying quite a bit
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I've only watched the first episode thus far. It's very character-focused and already I can see why fans of the miniseries hated the remake (which was more action-focused and reversed the nationalities of the two leads). But also, I can see why Hollywood thought to remake it as slow-burning stories aren't for everyone. However, I think that's what made this first episode so engaging. So far, it's more than a revenge story and a political story. It's also about a man in mourning battling his own personal crisis.

It's also somewhat amusing to see Joe Don Baker (who later collaborated with Martin Campbell on a few films) in this, especially if you best associate him with Mitchell or Final Justice (and the merciless riffing of those two on MST3K).

Edit: finished Edge of Darkness. The series definitely gets better as it goes on (though Part 5 is a little slow). Bob Peck (who is probably better remembered for saying "Clever girl" in Jurassic Park) and Joe Don Baker make for a great team (and the scene with Baker's character meeting the head of Fusion in Part 6 might be the best scene in the series) but I actually found Joanne Whalley the standout as Emma. The series manages to elevate to another level when she appears on screen. The series also ends a lot differently than the remake did. While the remake is much more definitive into Craven's fate, the ending is somewhat left to the audience's interpretation.

In the end, the original is a lot better than the remake. I still like the remake but it's best to think of it as an alternative interpretation of the story (the Hollywoodized version).

Meanwhile, I saw a trailer on the DVD for the original State of Play. I wasn't a fan of the 2009 remake but the original looked really good. I'll try to get to that pretty soon (and try not to associate Bill Nighy as Billy Mack every time he's on screen).

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Recent TV watches:

- Who Do You Think You Are? (season 2). Watched the first half of the season and it's still as good as the first. The highlight so far is probably the Tim McGraw episode (in which his family history connects him to George Washington and the ancestors of Elvis Presley).

- Honey West. I read this was a great adventure series that inspired shows like Charlie's Angels but personally, I couldn't get into it. The limitations of a half-hour series are evident and there really wasn't any exposition. Maybe the show just doesn't hold up well compared to other adventures series or Aaron Spelling shows.

- Miami Vice. Only watched the pilot so far but it's one of the best. Though he didn't direct it (he was only executive producer), Michael Mann's creative thumbprint in very much pressed on the double-length episode and the theatrical quality combined with the fast pace and strong performances show why even 32 years later, the first episode still holds up as great television.

Edit: finished Season One. Though there are places when the season drags, there is still plenty to like about the series. The last two episodes are some of the best so far.

- Vice Principals. The only good thing was the Bill Murray cameo. Otherwise, the series feels ridiculously dated and McBride's character is somehow more unlikable than Kenny Powers. Walton Goggins' talents are wasted (he's up there with Debra Winger in The Ranch for the Best Performer on a Bad Show this year).

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

almost finished up season 1 of The Sopranos, not sure why i didnt watch it all those years ago- i literally copied each disk s1-s5, in 2007 or something, then never watched em til now lol.

Pretty good acting from the late Gandofini, likable yet repulsive kinda guy. And i think some of the better TV directors have done some work on this show too, so theres some great individual episodes so far

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I started Season 2 of Miami Vice but the discs (DVD-18's, meaning they are double-sided) I checked out from the library skipped heavily (and the episode I was watching was really good too, with Tubbs returning to New York with Crockett in tow to capture a smuggler and Penn of Penn and Teller was their informant) so I just decided to put the Complete Series Blu-ray set on my Amazon Wish List. I'll pick it up once it drops to $40.

As for TV directors, I've found that there are four directors whose work almost always means quality when they direct an episode: John Dahl, Carl Franklin, Keith Gordon, and Tim Hunter. Strangely, none of them did Sopranos episodes.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

The only tv shows i've seen over the past couple of months has been Westworld. The inside-the-park story lines are slow and plodding, but the outside the park storylines have been fascinating, with Sir Anthony stealing every scene he is in. I just really hope the show doesn't go the way of Lost, of introducing random mysteries and trying to come up with something later to explain those mysteries

Haha, Buscemi, I just recognized your photo. Westworld has been the only new tv show i've been watching. However, we've been re-watching Pushing Daisies over the past month. It is definitely one of my favorites and it's held up really well. Out of all the shows the writers strike killed, this was definitely the best.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

finished westworld- could have been better, but twas certainly entertaining.

ill give season 1- 7.5/10

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

just for comparisons

True Detective Season 1- 9.5/10
Breaking Bad Season 1 - 9/10
Game of thrones season 1 - 9.5/10
not sure which season, but south park has a 10/10 for me (prob somewhere between 6 and 13)
rick & morty season 1 - 9.5/10
freaks and geeks season 1 - 7/10
always sunny season 1 - 6.5/10
The Simpsons - same as south park, has maybe 2 seasons 10/10, not sure which one though
and finally
Mr Robot season 1 - 8/10

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I just finished Season 1 of Rick and Morty and loved it. Originally thought it was going to be cutesy and weird (like Adventure Time), but it actually turned out to be more like Futurama but with better jokes and more bite. Some great parodies too. Looking forward to watching Season 2

Ron, it'll be interesting to see what you make of Mr Robot Season 2. In many ways it's more ridiculous than 1, yet it stops hiding its main point (the twist) and develops that more, so the show becomes more an exercise of style and mood, which to me actually makes it stronger.

Also finished Black Mirror Season 3, which was okay although some of Brooker's writing was weak, with many episodes full of plot holes. The San Junipero episode was the best by far.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

A preview for the new Twin Peaks (no date for the premiere yet).

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Seriously :shock:

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

well, ive been slacking bigtime on Mr Robot s2, only got halfway thru the first episode, no idea why. I think its cuz i have to watch these types tv shows (like House of Cards) completely sober. And also cuz i got into The Sopranos season 1, still 1 or 2 episodes of the season left- my watchlist is a complete mishmash without aim.

BUT- if u liked rick & morty- AND u say Mr Robot S2 is good, i just have to watch it.

forgot to mention how much i liked season 2 of better call saul....prob a 9/10, but not gonna do a list for season 2 tv shows just yet. Mr Robot comes first