What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to now

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to no

Post by W »

Buscemi2 wrote:And I thought Ozark was supposed to be a sitcom.
I actually watched it. It's as much a sitcom as Breaking Bad, Justified, and The Sopranos. It's pretty good.

You'll hate it. ;)
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

When it was initially announced, it was suggested that it would be a comedy (the whole premise plus Bateman suggests wacky comedy). But I also remember that Better Call Saul was supposed to the exact opposite of Breaking Bad before AMC decided to make it a serious show.

Speaking of Netflix, does anyone get the idea that a channel drift is beginning to happen? Between the recent cancellations of shows after a single season (I remember they had high hopes for Girlboss but killed it almost immediately), giving Bill Burr's awful show a third season, the site being quiet about a twelfth season of Mystery Science Theater 3000 (word from Joel Hodgson suggests it's close to happening after the tour but everyone's been quiet), no word on the second seasons of Jessica Jones (though The Defenders kind of delayed this one) and Lady Dynamite, and the announcement of a Mark Millar-headed series, it seems as if Netflix is going more for young males and MRA types than the varied types that are helping the channel (the immediate renewal of Castlevania is another suggestion this is the case). Do we really need for Netflix to be like the rest of the Internet?

I have to wonder if Reed Hastings took the backlash of Dear White People (which ironically was renewed but who knows when the second season will arrive) to heart and decided to cater to those people with fragile egos like everyone else with money or power does.

Edit: another sign that something's going on at Netflix: Disney is pulling all its movies in 2019 to start their own rival. It will be interesting to see how Netlix will counter.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I watched the pilot of Black Mirror and I must ask: does the show get any better? I feel nauseated after watching it and must wonder why Charlie Brooker thought it was a good idea to have the Prime Minister fucking a pig and follow it up with an ridiculous end credits sequence that makes little sense. In addition, the episode could have stood to be edited down.

At least they didn't play it for laughs like BoJack Horseman would have.

Edit: fuck it, I took it off my list.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Bring on The Defenders! Can't wait!!
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Black Mirror is great. Definitely worth watching. Some episodes are great, some not. The longer onces usually aare weaker as Brooker is used to short-form storytelling. But there are some that are amazing.

As for the pig think, you do realise that 2 years ago the real prime minister was in a scandal because apparently in university he had to put his penis into the mouth of a dead pig. So he literally was a pig fucker. Art became reality.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I never knew that (of course, world news is non-existent in the US). But there are times when television goes too far and it did there.

Creative freedom is great and all but sometimes, you need to think "is this really a good idea?". Also, the kidnapper was a far more interesting character but he had almost no screen time and the reveal was yet another cop-out.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Still don't get all the hate for HBO, they have only made some of the best TV of all time...
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Ron Burgundy wrote:Still don't get all the hate for HBO, they have only made some of the best TV of all time...
It's the simple case of "what have you done for me lately". Back in the 90's and 2000's, HBO was the king. But with everyone in pay cable/streaming/basic cable catching up or even surpassing them, HBO's place in the food chain has much declined and they really haven't been trying too hard to get that spot back. If HBO wants to beat Netflix at their game, they need a new game plan. And more than just Games of Thrones and Songs of Ice and Fire.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Buscemi2 wrote:
Ron Burgundy wrote:Still don't get all the hate for HBO, they have only made some of the best TV of all time...
It's the simple case of "what have you done for me lately".
Biggest show on TV, Westworld, Silicon Valley, The Jinx, The Leftovers... I watch both, but putting those up against Netflix's biggest (OITNB, House of Cards, Kimmy Schmidt, Making a Murderer), I definitely choose HBO. Netflix is bigger, but more spread out and they've came out and said their Adam Sandler deal was the best content they've generated. HBO focuses more. Both seem more laissez faire which is a good thing in my opinion.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think The Walking Dead would have a lot to say about Game of Thrones having the "biggest show on TV" title. I don't see Game of Thrones being considered TV that people drop everything to watch when it comes on (even if they hate it, which a lot of Walking Dead fans do).

The Jinx was big for a while but it didn't get the attention Making a Murderer did.

And is Silicon Valley really that big? Sure, it's got Mike Judge involved but there are similar shows on every other channel and HBO seemed to be scared that it wouldn't find an audience and initially sold as a completely different show.
Last edited by Buscemi2 on September 25th, 2017, 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I guess GOT is bigger on a worldwide basis, while The Walking Dead, well I haven't see it, nuff said

I'm watching O.J:Made in America for the 2nd time, I really found part 1 some of the best doco I've ever seen.

What is your take on the 5 part series: Anyone from merica
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Still recovering from Twin Peaks.

Anyone else make it through the new season?

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm going to have to do the free Showtime trial on Amazon Prime to watch it. Showtime didn't really do anything to get non-subscribers to tune in (they had to the perfect time to do a free preview weekend in May but didn't, but what do you expect from the people that kept Weeds and House of Lies running for so long?).
Last edited by Buscemi2 on September 25th, 2017, 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Not yet, i'm still working on the original series.

binged The Mist on Netflix though, even though i wasnt a huge fan of the movie it was still better than this show.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Missed the first Discovery episode (I guess I'll wait for Netflix to get the reruns or the Blu-ray release) and as expected, it seems to be dividing critics and audiences. Critics, for the most part, are liking it (Metacritic's a 76 with no negative reviews) but the hardcore fans are simply finding ways to nitpick it much like they did the last three movies.

I just wish someone would be like Shatner in that brilliant SNL sketch and tell them to get a life. The original had its problems too.