What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to now

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to no

Post by Buscemi2 »

I didn't realize it until just now but the first trailer for the Jack Ryan series came out.

Not sure what to think about the John Krasinski casting (it's weird seeing him in action roles, though he only did 13 Hours to get A Quiet Place financed) but I like the Wendell Pierce casting. I'm also wondering about the extent of Timothy Hutton's character (he's not shown in the trailer but he's supposed to have a substantial role).
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Looks like I'm going to have to complete the streaming trifecta and get a Hulu subscription. Netflix removed all of the Fox Television library or is about to. And the show I was about to start is a Fox show. :(

Meanwhile, I have a legitimate beef with Netflix and international shows. Why is it that they can't be bothered to negotiate the rights for the complete series? I saw they got Canada's Worst Driver recently but only Seasons 8 & 9. Some people like to start at the beginning, you know.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Binged Mindhunters this weekend. It was a slow burn, but truly fascinating

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I finished season 1 of Mr. Robot this week. All I could think for the first couple episodes was, "Dexter... Dexter... Dexter..." It's like it started out as fan fiction. Like:

(Spoilers for the first ten episodes)
Mentally disturbed (Check)
Loner (Check)
Dark Passenger (Check)
Talks to the audience in a dark monotonous voice (Check)
Rights evils in the world using illegal means (Check)
Keeps evidence of all their crime victims as souvenirs (Check)
Hallucinates father figure (Check)
Finds out they have a sibling around episode eight (Check)
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I never thought of Dexter as a comparison, but it's a good point. Only Mr Robot gets into more surreal territory and Dexter got too samey (I gave up after Season 4)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Netflix turmoil continues. House of Cards is ending next year after the recent allegations against Kevin Spacey. Between this and losing both Disney and Fox Television, they're going to need some wide appealed hits (as in, things that don't just appeal to young men and 80's kids) and content deals to justify their price jumps (their product's been feeling kind of skimpy as of late).

Speaking of Netflix, I watched the first two series of Embarrassing Bodies. This was a cut above most medical documentary shows and I hope Netflix finds a way to get the other six at some point.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Buscemi2 wrote: (their product's been feeling kind of skimpy as of late).
Netflix releases a new season or a new movie almost every Friday - some of them are just very demo-specific.

Speaking of Netflix, Stranger Things 2 is not as good as the first, of course, but still well done. I didn't like Eleven's new powers and definitely not the Chicago detour, but I still sped through it in two days. I'm in for season 3, though I'm hoping they switch it up a bit this time.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I watched the first four episodes (of eight, the season order was shorter this time) of Lady Dynamite: Season 2 just now. Personally, I think it's a step down from the first season. It's still hilarious but the show really loses a step when it enters the Future sequences (the Duluth 1987 sequences, originally planned for Season 1, are brilliant for the fact that Maria plays her 16-year-old self). I think a lot of the problem lays in how hyper-edited (there's like a cut every half-second, it seems like) and out of context (outside of the occasional call back to the previous season) they feel in comparison to the rest of the series. I also think reducing Karen Grisham again to one character (so far) creates a void (I also think spiritual Karen isn't as fun as raunchy Karen).

Maybe the last four episodes pick up and make up for the issues the first four contained.

Edit: watched the last four episodes. It all makes sense (yes, even the incest, cannibalism, and robot rape). I still don't understand why Fred Armisen played a woman in an episode though.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Catching up on this thread:

Im down to the last 3 episodes of Twin Peaks the new season, really liked the tone in the first couple of episodes, but then lost me a little in the middle episodes. I dont like the live music at the end of each episode, almost corny. But on the whole, its very much David Lynch's trademark weird style. Certainly something different compared to pretty much anything else on offer

Will probably give The Mist a shot over the Xmas period.

I did recently binge season 1 and 2 of Stranger Things in my fortnight off back in Perth. I liked it quite bit, one of the easier shows to digest as bingeworthy. Though there were a few minor details that were craazy outlandish, you can roll them over as that takes the enjoyment away. Im a bit picky with L's character, she doesnt make much sense at this point, and we're 2 seasons in. I get the Duffer bros are trying to stretch it out with the side plot, which i wanted to see much more of. Though all up, looking forward to the next season.

I also compared Mr Robot to Dexter with just one detail: the narration. But thats where the similarities end imo. The show is even darker than Dexter which sounds absurd. I also stopped watching Dexter season 4/5, you know when he and his sister had that thing...ugh

Not a fan of Krasinki or Jack Ryan very much, so that looks like a pass, though im sure my father will want to see it.

Halfway through Mindhunters right now, probably will finish that soon. Its indeed slow burn, though im not sold. I compare it to Zodiac where there is alot more tension and the characters are probably crafted better.

Rick & Morty Season 3 is great, its taken over South Park (i still need to catch the latest of that too) as my fav animated show.

Finally, im about 3 episodes in of The Deuce, by David Simon starring James Franco, James Franco and Maggie Gyllenhaal. Its awesome
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I was interested in The Deuce until they cast Franco. He's the acting version of Sturgeon's Law: for one good performance, there seems to be nine really crappy ones.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Buscemi2 wrote:I was interested in The Deuce until they cast Franco. He's the acting version of Sturgeon's Law: for one good performance, there seems to be nine really crappy ones.
He ruined 11/22/63 for me. Though the entire series seemed to lose something in the translation from the book, at least the episodes I sat through.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Finishing watching the most recent Great British Bake-Off to hit Netflix (it looks the new one with Old Gregg will premiere here next year once all of the legal material gets sorted out). This had perhaps the best lineup of the ones that have aired in the States though it was obvious who would win towards the end. Everyone seemed to be close together in terms of ability after the first two or three episodes and it really had that "anyone can get eliminated" vibe much of the time.

Meanwhile, I saw Netflix premiered a show that's apparently a raunchy spinoff (it got a TV-MA, which for a cooking show is unthinkable) of the Australian version of the show. It looked good from the trailer Netflix provided so that may be my next binge.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

So I gave Zumbo's Just Desserts a watch. What a disappointment. I came in expecting some like The Great British Bake-Off but once the facade of colorful visuals is taken off, it felt like a bad American competition show. The pace is flabby, there's too much focus on certain contestants (they have twelve but only four or five get face time, in addition, there's extra attention given to character over skill), and it spends a lot of time avoiding why The Great British Bake-Off worked so well.

Netflix's first foray into reality competitions (though this was a pick-up from the Seven Network) is a miss.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I recently got a subscription to Hulu (30 days free and $5.99/month for a year) and started my first series, Series 1 of The Mighty Boosh. Though full of the surrealism that the show is known for, it's more in line with the radio series (I later found out that six of the episodes were remakes of the radio series) that preceded it in that the series at this point, it uses a traditional plot at the Zooniverse (I'd read the other two series focus less on this). Series 1 is also the longest of the three at eight episodes.

Much like a lot of shows, it starts slow but really hits its stride once it gets weird. But the material with Bob Fossil gets quite hysterical (Grey Leg Face Man!). I should finish with the show by mid-week.

As for Hulu, it has a lot of shows that aren't on Netflix (such as all those Fox shows Netflix lost) and it thankfully doesn't use Flash (I had to cancel a Filmstruck trial as I had to download Flash to play movies and then I couldn't load Reddit afterwards, I'd gladly subscribe if they changed the software). On the other hand, you have to turn off Adblock Plus to watch things and the promotion only covers a subscription with limited ads (commercial free is $6 more). I might do those week-long trials for premium content to watch the new Twin Peaks or something that catches my eye.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

The Mighty Boosh DOES have its weird moments or even 9/10's of episodes but it does get funnier after a while, i dont really like all the extra characters, instead the main 2 (or 4) are all consistent. I wonder what would have happenend if a 4th season came out, prob less quality but 1 strong episode for sure
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale