What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to now

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Re: What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to no

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Just saw the first episode of The Leftovers, has anyone else seen the show?

Also saw s1 of Taboo. While the atmosphere and design is great for early 19th century, the story loses traction after a few episodes and injects more and more filler.
Tom Hardy plays his role well enough as the man who holds the deeds for a important trading route while employing taboo 'magic' and Jonathan Pryce is great as a potty mouth businessman.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

The Leftovers is one of the best shows to come out the last five years. It gets much better after the first few episodes (though I think even the beginning is really good). There are only three seasons, so like 30-ish one hour episodes. It evolves into something almost completely unexplainable without context in the last season. For a show about "Let(ting) the mystery be" it wraps up pretty nicely but don't expect every single thing to be explained as Lindelof said when the show started airing. Very few things are appointment TV for me anymore but this was.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I saw the first season, but got lost in the second, don't know if i'll go back and finish

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

well, i just finished the 2nd season of The Leftovers, been binge-ing pretty hard. Its very good. Not as good as The Wire or Game of Thrones, but still very good.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

gettin into the 2nd season of Twin Peaks. 1st season was very solid. Such good characters.

And im almost shocked no-one has spoken of Game of Thrones. First 2 eps were decent, im a big enough of a fan to like most things GOT. Though the setting up of things just makes you think the next episode will be even bigger or better. Is anyone watching this?

And finished S3 of The Leftovers, easily the least fav for me. Turned the series into too much romance, rather than the cool Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Mystery stuff

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Of course i'm watching but both episodes have been mostly set up. i've never been more disgusted by soup though. :lol:

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Haha, that was some fine cutting ;)

I've liked the pace - feels like they're rushing forth which is better than the last 2 seasons which were too slow besides a few key episodes. Still not happy about The Hound's storyline, and some of the scenes and dialogue around Arya are awful (especially the Ed Sheeran scene, and not just because of him). Last week's episode had a nice surprise in the last few minutes. You know the show still works when your heart sinks.

I still suspect this season will be about the war for the throne, with John and Danaerys coming out on top, and it will end with the white walkers breaking down the wall.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Episode 3 i already seen thrice. Yeah, show is good, GOT that is.

And polished off watching Twin Peaks season 1 and 2 (ill give it a double thumbs up) and now into season 3.

Obviously there is a 25 year gap between seasons, which makes it pretty interesting. But theres some of that little town magic missing in the newer episodes. Then again, it makes up for that with some more dazzling bizarre storylines

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

A lot of people were disappointed that the new series didn't keep the same tone. But better to forge something new rather than recreate the past. The new series is stranger, darker, more sprawling, and more ambitious. Episodes 8-11 are some of the best TV I've ever seen.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

This past episode on GOT was great. There's a reason Olenna Tyrell is called the Queen of Thorns. I wonder if her character is one of the 4 spin off prequels being worked on. I'd watch that, as long as Diana Rigg plays her younger self.

My only complaint, not even complaint really, just nitpick. I'm feeling a bit of whiplash, there was so much fluff in seasons 3 and 4 and even some in the past few seasons, that now the end is nigh it's moving at breakneck speed. But i guess that's how a strategic game like chess get's played, in the beginning there's many ways this can go, but by the end you see which moves are left to make and you can see them coming. I'll be sad when it's over.

Looks like i need to watch Twin Peaks, do you need to see the old series to make sense of the new?

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yes, pretty much. Twin Peaks 2017 is a continuation of the story, exploring what happened to the main characters 25 years later.

As for GOt, I agree UDM. This last episode was good but it flew past some pretty big beats when it came to battles. That's 3 major battles fought so far this season, and they probably amounted to about 10 mins of screentime. That's pretty fast. I kinda wish they mashed season 6 into season 5 and allowed more time for where we are now, but ultimately I'd rather it's fast than how slow it got the last two years.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

It's like HBO didn't know the story was nearing the end until the last episode of last season.

Season 4 and 5 were slogs, but now? Showing Casterly Rock for the first time and also it falling from Lannister control? 5 minutes. Takeover of Highgarden? Off-screen. Euron's seige of Dany's ships got more screentime than both of those combined, and they squeezed that into the last 10 minutes of an episode.

I'd rather fast than slow, but it's still a huge break in pacing than what we're used to...
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

HBO's going to be so screwed when Game of Thrones ends. With all of the devotion they put into it (and Girls) while ignoring other shows and letting Netflix and Amazon surpass them (hell, even Starz and Showtime seem to be doing better lately with the genre offerings they've put out), they are going to have a difficult time finding a replacement. Sure, there's Westworld but how long will that hold momentum? I bet they're going to be pushing that that Lena Dunham follow-up that no one will watch as the future in a couple of years.

And does anyone else find it odd that when everyone is getting into scripted television, MTV has killed all its scripted shows and decided to return to reality and unscripted shows? They've revived Teen Mom (for no reason, are they trying to start a 2000's retro movement or something?), air Jersey Shore and Ridiculousness reruns constantly, and are bringing back TRL in a lazy attempt to appeal to the "it's not about music anymore" crowd. Does this make any sense? Also, I thought some of those shows (like Teen Wolf) were doing well for them.

I really need to catch up on TV. Is it true that Amazon got the digital rights for the new Twin Peaks? Still annoyed that the TV and digital rights for the first two seasons and the current season are all separate.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

HBO will find something. They always do. Netflix does more, but HBO does bigger. If someone said a series of super nerdy books about dragons were going to be the biggest show on TV I wouldn't have believed it. Benioff and Weiss are already developing another big budget show for them. McKay/Ferrell are doing something Newsroom-ish. Something with Amy Adams from the woman that wrote Gone Girl. They've always got the possibility of GoT spinoffs... And like you mentioned, Westworld plus Silicon Valley and True Detective #3 with Mahershala Ali.

Anyone watch Ozark on Netflix? It's a pretty good series with Jason Bateman as the lead as a money launderer for a Mexican Cartel. People say it's the new Breaking Bad, but it really doesn't have that feel to me.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Is anyone really going to give the new True Detective a chance after how Season 2 went? And the fact that David Milch had to be brought in to rescue it suggests that HBO is desperate for this to be good.

And The Newsroom wasn't the hit people like to think it was (does anyone remember any of the episodes outside of the pilot?) so do we really need it redone by Adam "I Want Another Oscar When I Should Be Making Comedies Again" McKay?

HBO has been in trouble for a while and AT&T giving away the product for free for a while showed this. They need to study Netflix and Amazon instead of redoing past shows and thinking the world wants something only a few super-rich people want.

And I thought Ozark was supposed to be a sitcom.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.