What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to now

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Re: What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to no

Post by Brockster »

Do you have Amazon Prime?

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I have whatever I need to watch whatever I want ;)

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Ha! Give Absentia a try. It's a little twisted and dark, but pretty captivating.

I haven't watched the other ones you mentioned, but have heard really good things about Euphoria from some people I work with.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Watchmen is much better than I was expecting, a little slow to start but by the time it hits episode 5 I was hooked. Obviously it's not going to meet Alan Moore's idea, but it ties in the comic while being its own thing.

I liked Absentia too, was a few years ago I watched it, but some of those images really stick with you.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

but some of those images really stick with you.
My wife literally had to get up and leave at a couple of the scenes. I had to let her know when it was over so she could come back and watch, cuz she needed to know what happened :D

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to now

Post by Buscemi2 »

As my local theatres are closing, I've become a Disney+ subscriber via a bundle with Hulu and ESPN+. What should I watch?
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I've been watching a Simpsons episode every day since my self-quarantining began. Tuesday was Homer the Heretic, Wednesday was Cape Feare, yesterday was Homer's Enemy.

I'm thinking about Lisa's First Word this afternoon. That one always gets me in a good mood.

Also, I should add some 30 for 30's to my queue. Amazon's only shipping essentials right now (are batteries or AC adapters essentials?).

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Thats a great idea boosh!

I may just join you, ive always wanted to go through (the entire) The Simpsons catalogue, im just afraid the quality drops off somewhere around season 12...

Been watching a bunch of TV shows though, starting with most recent:

The Handmaids Tale
watched the first 1 1/2 seasons, a lady friend of mine convinced me to trudge through it. Sadly its not really that good. I don't really care for any of the characters, as bad as that sounds. A totalitarion future where hardly any women can bear a child and most women are enslaved is sickening sometimes but overall the characters decision making leaves you to wonder too often.

The Boys
In the same vein as Kickass, and turning the superhero genre upside down (where they are posing as heroes but actually are thee villians). It could have been awesome, but some hammy acting (Karl Urbans accent is horrendous) and crappy script let it down far too often. I think i preferred The Tick.

Altered Carbon
Only season 1, started s2 but didnt feel very good. Anyways its a hi-brow concept about far future humanity being able to live on and on in synthetic bodies, the rich do as they please and this special old dude plays detective. The concept is let down by some poor writing and average acting.

Better Call Saul
This latest season is just a delight to watch, Bob Odenkirk is perfect as Saul Goodman, the now super sneaky 2 bit lawyer with a bag full of tricks. Some old face from Breaking Bad enter the show and its just awesomeness all round.

McMillions
Good little doco about the whole Mcdonalds Monoplay game, or i should say; scam. The people actually involved in the true story make it fascinating to say the least. Unfortunately the 5 part mini series has several points where the story drags, maybe better suited to a 3 or 4 part show.

Sex Education
Went through season 1 & 2 fast, normally a good thing. As common as ever, season 2 is not as good as the 1st. But its still a decent humorous show about youth, sex, family, friendship and confronting your closet fears.

Watchmen
The highs and lows of a new show, high concept that doesnt quite follow through. But it is pretty good when the show peaks, especially the parts with Jeremy Irons.

Rick & Morty
Cannot wait for the 2nd half of the latest season, its by far the funniest show out there right now. Absolutely briliant.

South Park
Gone are the days where this show was reliably good, a couple of half decent episodes in a whole season and even thats a stretch. The end is nigh :cry:

The Mandalorian
First 2 episodes were great, then we get to filler and by the time the show ends somewhat prematurely (Season 1 i mean) you kind of cant forgive them for all the build up and little pay off. A cute mini yoda can only get you so far.

The Witcher
Only saw the first couple episodes and i didnt get hooked in, maybe will give it another chance later

Ballers
Cant remember if i commented on this already. The Rock chews the scenery and fits the cast well along with the other actors. I watched the first 3 or so seasons before i stopped for whatever reason.

Black Monday
Only watched the first few episodes, it didn't live up to the name, (i stupidly compared it to Black Dynamite)

Hello Ladies
First few episodes only, pretty funny cringefest with that tall english guy. I really need to get back into Curb your Enthusiasm, only ever watched the first 3 seasons there...

Fleabag
Brilliant British show about a dysfunctional family and a screwy 'fleabag' main character women who has a dark past but aims to set things right, even if that means dragging her close family along with her. Funny, witty and frankly a breath of fresh air.

Why We Hate
At times magnificent mini series about the human psychology trait - hate. Some very convincing arguments and some fairly horrible comments on imdb for the show that doesnt deserve it.

One Punch Man
Season 2 only, it fails to capture the magic that made season 1 so unbelievably funny and entrancing. Still with the same writers one can only hope that find some of that hidden magic.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I don't think I'll have the will power to sit through every Simpsons episode. I once watched a newer one and wondered when Bart became a sociopath.

Some of the others I've watched.

Saturday: Marge vs. the Monorail
Sunday: 22 Short Films About Springfield (I probably now have all of Skinner and the Superintendent memorized because of all the memes)
Monday: Brush with Greatness

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Anyone check out Quibi yet? Free 90 day trial. I watched just the first episode of Most Dangerous Game with Liam Hemsworth and Christoph Waltz.

The dialogue is badly written and it seems like everyone involved doesn’t give a shit. For instance Christoph Waltz is an Australian who grew up in Detroit, but doesn’t hide his Germanic accent. They could have easily written him as German or he could try a Detroit or Australian accent, but neither. But that’s only after a five minute first episode...

There’s a few shows that look like they actually put money into. I wonder if any of them are decent or if the “quick burst” and/or mobile only will be off putting quickly.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I have a feeling Quibi's going to flop despite all of the talent involved. First of all, who's going to tune into a service you can only watch on your phone (and in some cases, only at certain times)? Also, Meg Whitman calling all journalists rapists basically guaranteed that they won't get any good publicity.

On another topic, who's watched The Tiger King? Right now, this seems to be the big show.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I've only seen the first 2 episodes of Tiger King. So far, I've found it to be equally surreal, fascinating and horrifying.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I cringe-watched season 1 of Star Trek: Picard on the weekend, which is to say I plowed through the whole thing despite risking ocular damage from all the eye-rolling I was doing. I'm generally not a fan of stunt casting or fan service, yet the only parts of this series I enjoyed were when I was being pandered to. When it finally got around to showing Riker and Troi living together with a kid and reminiscing about the past with Picard it worked because of all the history those characters have together and my emotional connection to all three of them, but it only threw into stark contrast how little I cared about ANY of the new characters in this series. And Romulan Legolas is by far the worst major character in the history of Star Trek, not counting Discovery which I still haven't watched and never intend to since I have no faith in anyone working behind the scenes on Star Trek these days.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I bet you're also one of those people who hated Into Darkness just because of that one scene with Alice Eve and not all of the other things.

But seriously, why waste your time on something that you know you'll hate? Pretty soon, you are going to become one of those people who watches every episode of The Walking Dead despite claiming that the previous episode was the worst ever.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

The gratuitous underwear scene with Alice Eve was that film's lone redeeming quality.