What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to now

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Re: What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to no

Post by undeadmonkey »

^^ :lol:

MisterInformative
Juno MacGuff

Post by MisterInformative »

Buscemi wrote:Blackface is insulting and should in no way be resurrected.
Kirk Lazarus does not understand your logic.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Everybody's troll-detector has been going off recently. Well, mine finally caught up and hit the red zone right here in this thread.

Faulty wiring, I can only assume.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

How is it trolling if you are stating a fact? A white man in a role of a black man is blackface (Tropic Thunder was making fun of blackface, along with method acting, so that doesn't count). Even Cracked, one of NSpan's favorite websites, called it blackface and couldn't believe that no one was complaining.

A recent biopic was made about Alexandre Dumas (who was part black and had very dark skin) in France. Who played Dumas? The very white Gerard Depardieu. When people found out about this, they freaked. Why aren't we doing the same here?

Also, do you also think it's okay for a white man to play Malcolm X? How about Martin Luther King? How about Scott Joplin or Muhammad Ali or Chuck Berry?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

If a dark-skinned white guy can play Chuck Berry convincingly, go for it. If Denzel Washington could pull of Abraham Lincoln, go for it. I personally don't care morally, unless it's to make fun of a race or it's a case of racism. And in this case, it's not a white guy playing a black guy... not by a long shot.

Fred Armisen is an Asian-Caucasian-Lantin American playing a Caucasian-African American and he does it convincingly and doesn't disparage any race while doing it.

I think YOU are missing the point. The reasoning for not liking this in particular SHOULD BE 1) it's given to a white guy over a guy of that race that could do a much superior job at the same or less cost and 2) they are demeaning a race. This fits neither of those as Fred Armisen does a good job, no one on the SNL roster can do a better job, and it doesn't demean African Americans (or white people for that matter). Why should you care if these things are true?
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

But he's a Caucasian-African American man who identifies as black. If you are casting a character who is known to be a black man, cast a black man. They even auditioned black comedians to play him (along with other black characters) but chose not to cast any of them.

Also, Armisen doesn't even look like the President. Compare Armisen's abomination to a picture of Barack Obama. Armisen looks closer to Bryant Gumbel.

It may not offend most (white) people but blackface is bound to offend. It you just cast a black man in the role, there would be a lot less complaints.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Cate Blanchett played Bob Dylan, they could have cast a guy but they didn't. They cast the best person for the role. Ultimately she was probably the best part of a very flawed movie. Sometimes race or gender don't matter. If he's getting good reviews (which seems to be the case) then why complain.

Indeed do you know ANYONE who is complaining? You are saying it is bound to cause complaints, but if you haven't heard any, surely your just speculating (and blowing things WAY out of proportion) on something which may not even be close to the truth. And surely if anyone on here were to complain, surely it'd be Banks, y''know, an actual black person?

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

You have to remember, guys, Boush actually wants Sandra Bullock burned at the stake for portraying a white woman who helped a black man succeed. Remember, white = the devil, black = all that is holy and sacred and right in the world. So basically, Fred Armisan portraying Barrack Obama is like Satan pissing in the cornflakes of Jesus Christ.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Boush is going to write an autobiography entitled: The Great White Guilt: Confessions of a Tormented Soul
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

yea, Up All Night was boring. laughed once. read it got decent ratings though.

Also checked out the pilot of New Girl. It starts off a little slow, but this show really has potential, it's quirky and full of heart, the actors have chemistry, really hope Fox gives it a chance. I know they usually don't do too well with sitcoms.

MisterInformative
Juno MacGuff

Post by MisterInformative »

Buscemi wrote: A white man in a role of a black man is blackface
So what about in reverse? Like...

or...

And before you say, well, those are comedy instances (or parody, or satire, or whatever)... SNL IS A COMEDY PROGRAM.

On topic, I was highly anticipating the season premiere of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia last night. Unlike many people, I still thought last season was hilarious, but nonetheless, I liked it a lot.

Up All Night didn't look funny to me, just because for some reason I have never found the whole "OMG KIDZZZZ" storyline to be compelling or funny. But I can see why people would like it.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Got the first disc of Sons of Anarchy in the mail today. The ending of the first episode was really good (really badass when Jax broke out of his depression and bashed that guy's head in), the second ep was meh, the third was excellent (especially with the cameo of Stephen King, creepy as usual if you can get anyone can dispose of a body, it should be him... or maybe Harvey Keitel), and the fourth was decent.

Not much of a letdown so far.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

The Simpsons, in german just does not work
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I've actually read the German dub is supposed to be one of the best.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

could be true if u count any dubs to be any good, i think when u have seen a certain character, even grown up with him or her, then when u hear the other dubbed voice, u just dont recoginse it, possibly not even understand what they are saying and therefore, its very shit.

therefore, no dubs for are good

unless maybe, its a dub in the same language and comedy or something
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale