What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to now

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to no

Post by W »

“I really liked Hanna. You should consider watching it.”
“Well, I haven’t seen it, but I heard a guy didn’t like it. Why would someone make garbage like that??”

Hilarious.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Yesterday's GoT spoilers (Episode 3) as well as a little Endgame spoilers: The most cringeworthy moment in Endgame was when they got all the women together to fight. Just so forced and so cheesy. By contrast the two best moments in this GoT episode were women fucking up some serious monsters. Lyanna gives her life to kill a giant wight and and Arya kills the Night King and literally saves the world from the zombie apocalypse. Throw in Brienne, the other badass Arya stuff, Sansa showing she's willing to fight, and of course Daeny lighting shit up and that's the way you do things. This episode finally gives everyone what they've been waiting for since the wall came down and the women are at the forefront of it all.

Shit. Hopefully I didn't spoil anyone. I changed the color, but forgot the spoiler tag.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Completely agree, there were several moments that took me out of it in Endgame and this scene in particular felt so forced. Game of thrones on the other had, these moments were fantastic. I even at one point thought to myself, Dany would basically be useless without her dragons, and while she mostly is, with a little help from Ser Jorah, she stood her ground and i applauded her for it. Though that didnt hold a candle to Lyanna Mormont's big moment, Honestly, if she survived, she would have sat on the Iron Throne.

My only major gripe about this episode is that Cersie is going to feel anticlimactic after this. There has got to be some big twist coming up yet, who wants to guess what it is?

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Going by the opening credit sequence, I suspect it is going to involve that big spike again (maybe modified) taking out at least one dragon. Plus, there are like only ten unsullied left alongside all the main characters, so the Golden Company even without their elephants should have a huge numerical advantage.

As for the episode itself, there were moments that were really spectacular (the swords flaming on and then one by one distinguishing into darkness was harrowing, while the dragon fight sequences had moments of real splendour), but the lighting really agitated me throughout. I have a decent TV, but the dark was just way too dark at times to see anything, and while it probably made things a little more frightening at times, I am not sure that was intentional and rather just poor visuals. That and the ridiculously poor war strategy from a group of the finest minds in Westeros (using your cavalry for a head on charge? placing your long range weapons at the front of the battlements? Placing your trenches behind your infantry?) I suppose coming from Jons leadership in The Battle Of The Bastards, we should not expect much, but it was a little silly even if it looked cool.

Anyway, Theon has finally had his arch completed and was absolutely badass (in fact, was cool to finally see just how good an archer the Ironborn were), while Arya had some really cool sequences too, including the big climax (though how she ghosted all the White Walkers in Godswood is still a mystery). Jorah went out fighting like a true knight, Beric too, and was good to see the prophecy wasnt such a cliche with Jon being the one to defeat the NK.

It is true, everything from here will feel like an anticlimax, but hopefully we get some more great dialogue for Tyrion finally, and a decent enough conclusion of what has been a truly special series.
Last edited by silversurfer19 on April 29th, 2019, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

GOT was a disaster.

Watching the episode I was totally glued at first. The disappearing Dothraki sequence was stunning. The way the humans got surrounded was great. But in a show that used to utterly change the state of play by killing off some of its best characters, making it both fucked up and somewhat realistic, this was the most unbelievable. Literally the only survivors are the main cast, with only the dull secondary characters like Ser Friendzoned and Captain Firesword getting axed. It's so contrived in a show whose quality used to be how it did the very opposite. I shouldn't be surprised after last season's Magnificent Seven episode, but I was hoping the last season would pull off some shocks. But we got none. Hence the anti-climax. The battle we've been waiting for for 8 years takes the toll of the sidekicks. Meh

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Well, now that I've calmed myself (still wasn't crazy about last night's EP), here's my alternative plotting of this season

I'd amalagamate EP 1 and 2 into an 80 minute episode. 2 was great, but 1 was a little dull. Maybe have Cersei kill Euron as he's a caricature of a character, and take over his fleet with the aid of the Golden Company

The Battle of Winterfell would be similar. However, the Night King would NOT be defeated. Instead, just as he's reaching for Bran in swoops Danaerys and/or Jon (did both dragons survive?) to rescue him, starting a major retreat. Bran, Jon, Dany make their desperate escape as the white walkers overwhelm the castle. Ayra survives by doing her ninja thing and escaping. Jamie and Brienne die fighting back to back. Sam and Gendry die. Beric, Jorah, and Theon die as is. The Hound manages to escape, fuelled by his desire to rescue Ayra. Maybe with Sansa and Tyrion who find a way out of the crypt.

The strategy changes to the Ironborne. The survivors of the North are pursued by the Night King until they reach the water, and are rescued. The Night King now heads south. Jon and Dany now go to Cersei for help, and bow to her as Queen (knowing that they will betray her eventually). Cersei agrees, but plans to kill them when the Night King is dead.

A huge battle takes place at a snow-bound King's Landing. But the Night King is only used to a single target. When he finds the Ironborne coming at the from behind, he's taken off guard, allowing him to be killed by a determined Jon Snow, who is mortally wounded in the fight, but who comes back to life. But in doing so, like Beric he knows he is not fully human, and not destined to be a King. Dany loses one of her dragons to the Night King, and another to Bronn who uses his old giant scorpio to kill the beast. Dany is captured. A trial by fight is arranged - Cleganebowl! The Hound dies, not before ensuring that The Mountain is killed too. The Hound saves Dany. But Cersie just goes ahead and kills Dany.

As Cersei plans her rule of the seven kingdoms, including killing the remaining Starks and anyone in her way, Ayra comes out of nowhere to assassinate her (and possibly let in by Bronn, who is exhausted by her double crossing). Sansa is crowned the Queen of the Throne, with Ayra (pregnant with Gendry's child) and husband Tyrion at her side.

Here, I'm coming from what's just and surprising - Jon is a warrior, but an undead one. Dany is a leader but was too arrogant. Sansa has grown up so much and is arguably a better leader, both firm and kind. Ayra is a survivor, and Tyrion is a legend.

I'm sure this is full of holes but I had fun doing it!!!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Sam's probably the safest person in Westeros. He's GRR Martin's avatar destined to be head maester and scribe "A Song of Ice and Fire". That kinda makes me think Jon's on the throne. The only way Daeny is crowned is next to Jon.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I loved the episode, yet i'm more confused than i was before.

There's no way Bran was sitting there like a bump on a log, where did he go, what did he do? that was a knowing look between the night king and Bran, or was that just me?

I would have loved to see Jon engulfed in flames at one point and him coming out unburnt with Dany seeing this and it proving who Jon is.

what was the Night King doing with the Crastor babies? Bran was changed when the Night King touched him, did he do anything to Arya? He touched her a long time.

loved Theon's story arc, this is what has been the best of GOT. He was a brat, you hated him, you felt sorry for him and now you rooted for him. Jamie, you hated him and his redemption over the course of the show has been great. Melisandre, you hated her and even with all her stupid mistakes, she was trying to fight for the living. Though i don't think we've seen the last of the Azor Ahai prophecy, though i could be wrong.

I don't think we just have a few more deaths and cersei is defeated and someone gets to sit on the iron throne. That would be boring

Any chance that Qyburn turns Cersie into the new Night Queen?

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

undeadmonkey wrote:]
I don't think we're meant to know what Bran was doing when he warged yet. I doubt he was just keeping track of the Knight King. I'm half convinced they wanted to win the prop bet of what Bran wargs into next. Raven was only +200 though.

I'm pretty sure he was turning the Crastor babies into his lieutenants. He "left his mark" on Bran during a dream. Who knows what that means?

Azor Ahai is Daeny. Lightbringer are the dragons... I think.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Last nights GOT episode left such a bad taste. We really are just trying to wrap up and hit plot points without care of characters motives or history.

Cersie literally had Tyrion in her grasp and she let him go, WHY?, she sent Bron to murder him and now she had her chance and she just decides not to. I don't get it. Unless her and Tyrion had more words off screen last season and its all a huge misdirect like Sansa and Arya last season, but it's so lazy and boring (lets lie to our faithful audience, so that we can shock them with the truth, blech)

Now that they are actually making Dany 'turn bad', i hate it. She has tried to do the all the right things (and Winterfell wouldn't have lasted half an hour, much less '55 minutes' without her armies and dragons) and she has just about lost everything, who wouldnt lose their shit and get revenge

I was (and maybe still am) expecting some explanation for the NK and his motives. It can't just be, he wanted to erase humankind and now he dead. Ask Bran wtf he was doing when he warged and what's going on. At this rate i'm beginning to wish the Night King had won.

Wow, did they ever make Sansa a bitch, 'yes i swear', 'oh hey tyrion'. we were supposed to believe that Sansa is smart now and hates Cersie above all else and now she would give something away that could ruin everything or at least not know what the outcome of sharing that info is, i don't buy it.

Lastly, Arya just killed the NK, no thought or mention of, 'hey, lets use our biggest asset to get rid of Cersie'. She could do it with ease.

but hey at least Jon's speech was nice (and pointless apparently) and the party was funny

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yeah, another poor episode. Maybe the creators are doing it on purpose so that we won't miss it when it's over.

I did like how the show is turning on Dany and revealing her impulses to be dangerous, and now she's very vulnerable with only one dragon, the unsullied, and Tyrion behind her. The scene at the party where everyone is celebrating without her was great.

Euron remains the worst character is the show, and can just turn up anywhere. He's basically the shadow that killed Renly but with less depth.

The whole direction of his ambush on Dany was poor. And yes, Cersei not launching her many arrows during the pow-wow at the end was quite odd.

Sorry, UDM, but the Night King is all over. No more mythology there. Our expectations couldn't be met. Was I right in hearing that the armies in Winterfell lost half their people. Only half? That battle we were all waiting for really wasn't very intense, was it? Bran will probably have very little to do too, since he's all about the past and not the future.

If Ayra kills Cersei then the show will be repeating itself. It seems Jamie will do it, having managed to turn Brienne into a weeping damsel (way too OTT) and then fucked. And Cleganebowl will also happen. Really is getting very predictable, isn't it?

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Six, i agree to some points but not others. On the whole, i have expected ALOT more that what has been shown. Shoulda kept a couple little fingers and narcos alive....
But can discuss character ratings at the end. Im not spoiling anything until its over.

In the meantime, watched a few episodes of The Twilight Zone, a few W recommended. It really was WAAAAYYY ahead of its time, and im confused to as why we didnt see this style of media until the 80s again. Some idea's are so good, i think they must have been "taken" from unknown writers. Still, got about 130 more episodes to see, but so far, so good (and yeah, i started with the well regarded ones so, opinion could go down, but hey, the simpsons was only good for 9ish seasons...)
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Starbucks meme is so stupid. Before I had to have it explained to me, I thought it was another one of those "vocal minority complains about something about Starbucks that only exists in their mind" thing.

There are anachronistic things in movies and TV all the time (for example, Django Unchained has the main character wear sunglasses that didn't exist in that time frame) and you would get told "it's only a movie" if you pointed it out. So what makes this damn cup so special?
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Buscemi2 wrote:The Starbucks meme is so stupid. Before I had to have it explained to me, I thought it was another one of those "vocal minority complains about something about Starbucks that only exists in their mind" thing.

There are anachronistic things in movies and TV all the time (for example, Django Unchained has the main character wear sunglasses that didn't exist in that time frame) and you would get told "it's only a movie" if you pointed it out. So what makes this damn cup so special?
It wasn't an artistic choice or anything, it was something accidentally left in. It's a show that is trying to be so true to the period (though it's literally on another planet) but they accidentally forget to grab their latte which is in the middle of the shot. No one on the set and none of their billion editors caught it. I don't care, but people think it's funny.

On the other hand if Kubrick accidentally left in a "We're Here to Serve You" coffee cup during Napoleon it'd be proof that the Mars Illuminati killed Kennedy.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I finally watched Season 1 of Jessica Jones (in time for the final season on June 14th). How did I wait four years to watch this? It's easily the darkest, most adult, and groundbreaking of the MCU products that I've seen. This also seems to be the antithesis to my problems with the Marvel format. They let the characters breathe and showrunner Melissa Rosenberg and her writing staff don't focus on just action. It has a story and the main characters are developed. Jessica is a lot like a superheroine version of Sarah Connor (some of the deadpan humor Jessica has even feels like lines from Terminator 2) while Kilgrave (aka Kevin Murdercorpse) is like Hannibal Lecter with superpowers.

This is how to do gritty. Don't just focus on being edgy. Give a reason for the edginess.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.