Favorite TV Shows: Top 10

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Favorite TV Shows: Top 10

Post by silversurfer19 »

i've never seen an episode of MASH
[Shryke's plans for this evening with UDM]

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Thanks, Surfer, that's exactly right.

Now, UDM, all I need is your home address, and a good place to buy the chloroform...
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

12 H-1054 Budapest, Hungary

and you could try Nocturne Alley

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

It's in California, actually. Maybe Texas. Check them both.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

yea, it should only take about a week or so to check all of california and texas....

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Show #7

undeadmonkey

The Wonder Years (1988-1993, ABC)

Premise: The series depicts the social and family life of a boy in a typical American suburb from 1968 to 1973.

This show was one of my quintessential afterschool shows that i watched. it was so relatable, even though it portrayed a time 20 to 30 years earlier than mine. Who doesn't have an annoying brother or family member, or parents that you don't quite understand, or a friend that's a little strange. I hope this comes out on dvd soon.

numbersix

The Larry Sanders Show (1992-1998, HBO)

While this isn’t a mockmentary, it comes pretty close. And all those episodes of The Office, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Modern Family, etc would probably never exist if it wasn’t for this gem of a show. It’s probably the best example of “awkward” humour too. Larry Sanders is a late-night talk-show host, and the show follows what goes on behind the scenes, as well as adding authenticity by showing chunks of the “fake” show which feels eerily real. Judd Apatow was one of the writers.

It’s an obvious platform for satire, as the cast and crew get to mock and deride the excesses of celebrity. Larry’s narcissism usually tops every celebrity that enters the show, but kudos to the real actors for participating (especially David Duchovny who appeared in a few episodes harbouring what seemed to be a massive crush on Larry). Some of the other characters were brilliantly constructed, such as tough-as-nails Artie (Rip Torn) and the dim but desperate sidekick Hank, as well as baffled P.A.s, cynical writers, and exhausted talent bookers.

The show only recently saw a full DVD release this year, and anyone who likes HBO’s brand of humour should consider checking it out.
Last edited by undeadmonkey on July 28th, 2011, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:South Park: Funny, I felt the ultimatum was more between The Simpsons and Family Guy.
Family Guy was certainly, in the long run, the true "affront" to the Simpsons-traditionalist.

But South Park came before Family Guy. At that point, TV animation that didn't star Bugs Bunny was still pretty slim-pickins. The Critic, Space Ghost: C2C, Dr. Katz, etc. were all brilliant--but they were niche shows designed around a niche audience. South Park came on the scene guns blazin'. The sheer impact it had on society was more than enough reason to (inevitably) compare it to the then-reigning king of animation.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Show #8
NSpan

Curb Your Enthusiasm (2000 - 2011, HBO)

What Seinfeld should have been from the start... or something like that. I don't think Curb necessarily renders Seinfeld completely unnecessary or irrelevant. But Larry David is doing everything he WOULD have done with Seinfeld were he to have sole creative control and wasn't limited by censors.

One major difference, though, is that Seinfeld was an ensemble show. Curb, on the other hand, has ONE protagonist... and that is *stretching* the definition of protagonist. Larry does have his loyal companion Jeff (played by the great Jeff Garlin) who provides Larry a friendly audience for his rants. Keep in mind, though, Jeff gets PAID by Larry for his time. They are supposed to be authentically friends, but I think the business relationship is important to keep in mind when talking about the show.

It really is interesting to see what the creator of Seinfeld does in the post-Seinfeld world of television. And the answer is obvious: he makes a post-Seinfeld Seinfeld. And it works!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Firefly: I was never blown away by it. I've only seen 2 or 3 episodes but the lack of narrative drive was a turn-off for me. Some of the dialogue was good, but never Buffy good.

Skins: Never watched it but I've heard great things about it.

The Wonder Years: A very sweet, coming-of-age series that rang true in many ways.

MASH: If I've seen it, it was one episode and a long time ago.

Curb: Curb ahead of Seinfeld? Controversial...

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

No.8 (for Hayley and I)

The Big-Bang Theory (2007-Present)

An American sitcom focusing on five characters: two roomate geniuses, their neighbour across the hall and two equally geeky co-workers.

Originally watched to bide time one day turned out to be one of my favourite TV shows and also one of the funniest sitcoms i have watched, a brilliant concept and equally intelligent dialogue. Not one character lets the series down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0xgjUhE ... re=related
"Then telephone for an axe"

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

after today, i'm going to take a day or two to do recaps and also let everyone catch up, then we'll do our top 5, which i will post, so if every one could send those to me in a pm, that would be great

Show #6

undeadmonkey

LOST (2004-2010, ABC)

(not my top scenes, but they are pretty awesome moments)

Premise: The survivors of a plane crash are forced to live with each other on a remote island, a dangerous new world that poses unique threats of its own.

"When J.J. Abrams first marooned his plane-crash survivors on a remote island, no one realized the show’s name was a double entendre: It took crowd-sourced blogs to make sense of all the hidden clues, relevant connections, time shifts and intertwined storylines, and each season has given us far more questions than answers. But there’s something refreshing about a network TV show that trusts the mental rigor of its audience instead of dumbing everything down to the lowest common denominator. Sometimes it’s good to be a little lost"
i loved this review that i found while researching Lost, as it explains quite well what i think about it. to add on to that, i just remember watching the pilot back in 2004 and being mesmerized, the plane crash, the smoke monster in the forest, the random panda bear, but then i saw the people, their backstories, what made them who they are today and how they relate with each other in this confusing and terrifying world. When the end title came on, i thought wow here is something i've never seen before and i want to know what happens next and i did so for every episode after.

numbersix

Curb Your Enthusiasm (2000-present, HBO)

Who would have thought that the co-creator of Seinfeld could have topped one of the most successful sitcoms of all time? But while Seinfeld was always somewhat constrained by its format, Larry David found a whole new route in his strange Gonzo-style comedy, in which David plays an exaggerated version of himself.

I remember first seeing Curb and being very uncomfortable. Not with the humour, but with the style, which seemed to be a video format (digibeta, I later discovered) shot on handheld. Like a documentary, but fictional. Fortunately, Larry Sanders had helped to understand this seemingly newish type of comedy, and it wasn’t long before I was hooked by Larry’s misfortunes. Like Seinfeld, the show examines the absurdities in social etiquette but is more extreme in its more realistic depiction.

It’s nearly impossible to have perfect consistency in any show, but Curb has been doing well for over a decade. A slump in Season 6 was compensated by an ironic story arc in Season 7, where Larry is convinced to do a Seinfeld reunion show (which ultimately becomes an attempt by Larry to win back his separated wife). But the script is loose, so loose that Davis doesn’t write dialogue, just scene descriptions and the cast have to ad-lib, which makes for messy dialogue with moments of unexpected brilliance.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Show #7
NSpan

The Kids in the Hall (1988 - 1994, CBC/HBO)

Our generation's Monty Python. Lorne Michaels (the man behind SNL) discovered these guys and gave them the show. Unlike SNL, The Kids in the Hall was much more conceptual. The former is (and was) ultimately a variety show, the latter stuck exclusively to absurdist sketches starring the same five guys. There were never any "special guests," and the lineup never changed. Sketch comedy has seen some stellar acts since the time of Monty Python... the cast of Mr. Show, several lineups of SNL, The State (and its various incarnations), and the various troupes that have found an audience in the internet-age all come to mind... but none have been so consistently funny and innovative as the Kids in the Hall.

I realized that there has already been one musical-number posted from this show during the countdown. So, to be fair, here's one more clip:

Last edited by NSpan on July 28th, 2011, 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

UDM, I swear I'm not trying to drive you crazy by refusing to submit my list to you. But I'm making it up as I go along. Each night, I decide which show from my list goes next--and, lastly, I write my recap.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

UDM, I'll send you my #5 in the next day or so. In the meantime:

SHRYKESPEARE'S #7

House, M.D. (Fox, 2004-present)

I've never really liked doctor shows. I never watched so much as a single episode of ER, Chicago Hope or Grey's Anatomy. Until House came along, I think that the last doctor show I watched regularly was St. Elsewhere, nearly two decades before... and honestly, I didn't "get" half of what was going on on that show, but I loved the theme song, I loved Howie Mandel's character, and it was cool to see Denzel Washington bloom into the terrific actor he could become.

I've been a fan of Hugh Laurie since the Blackadder years, and that's nearly a quarter of a century now. I wasn't sure if American audiences would accept him in a role that wasn't, strictly speaking, comedic. But oh, my God, did this character leave his stamp on TV. Never has there been a doctor that treated his boss, his co-workers, even his patients with such consistent, universal contempt. Yes, on occasion, we see past the smarmy sarcasm and get a glimpse at how broken a human being he truly is, but Hugh Laurie has owned this character from Minute One. I don't know how much more life this show has left, but I have loved just about every minute of it.

Here are some bloopers:

SHRYKESPEARE'S #6

America's Got Talent (NBC, 2006-present)

Well, anyone who's been bored shitless by mine and Geezer's endless banter about this show will not be surprised by this. Never has a talent show had me totally engrossed in my lifetime, ever. What a great concept: all talents, all ages, all sizes, all levels of weirdness, all welcome. What other show even comes close to that? Yes, there is a lot of goofy shit, and very few that actually deserve the ultimate prize ($1M and a Vegas headline show), but over the last five years, this show has produced some AMAZING talent. Though yes, one could argue that it's like Idol in that its usually singers that go the furthest, there's no other show that would pit a 30-year-old blues singer against a 10-year-old opera singer. On Idol you would never see awesome acts like magician Michael Grasso, drum-band Recycled Percussion, a baton-twirling phenom like Jonathan Burkin, or someone like Paul Salos a 75-year-old retired air force captain who does a perfect impersonation of Sinatra. You'd certainly never see this, which, I believe, is my favorite all-time act to appear on the show:

I found out just tonight that they are still working on their act, and will probably be headlining in huge venues before you know it.

In the beginning, it seemed more for fun than it was serious. Regis gave way to Jerry Springer, who was a great host, but lacked the coolness of Nick Cannon, who is the bomb. Piers Morgan is still there as "the mean one", Sharon Osbourne is "the nice one", and Howie Mandel took over for the Hoff as "the creepy one". I wouldn't have it any other way.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIX!!!