Favorite TV Shows: Top 10

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Favorite TV Shows: Top 10

Post by undeadmonkey »

Show #10

undeadmonkey

Smallville (2001-2011, UPN, CW)

Premise: A young Clark Kent struggles to find his place in the world as he learns to harness his alien powers for good and deals with the typical troubles of teenage life in Smallville.

when i started this list i picked my top ten and forgot about them. but now that i'm actually here, i kinda wish i had put this lower. Yes, it's the longest i've watched a show, it's first few seasons were amazing and i loved the monster-of-the-week episodes, but the last few seasons i admit that i only watched because i had watched the show so long, the last season itself awful, with filler episode after filler episode to finally get to the end which was pretty mediocre. If you compared the last season to the first, they wouldn't even seem like the same show. Nevertheless, i loved the first five seasons of this show, and it is one of my favorites, so i do think it deserves a spot on my list.

PS, the supporting cast was pretty great as well. Allison mack as chloe was really fun with her wall of weird stuff. John Glover was fantastic as Lionel Luther, and of course Anette Otoole as Martha Kent was just perfect (which was another reason the last few seasons weren't as good, i think she left in season 7).

numbersix

Seinfeld (1989-1998, NBC)

If ever there is proof that the offbeat could become mainstream, this is it. When I first started watching Seinfeld in the late 90’s it came across as a real cult show, the kind of show that would play late at night to a small but dedicated audience. I had no idea how huge it was in its home country. I mean, it was the opposite of worldwide sensation Friends. Larry David and Seinfeld even had a rule of “no hugging, no learning lessons”, and instead worked hard to both satirise the rituals we hold as the norm in society (even though they’re often illogical) but also always be aware that the protagonists represent the selfish part of people (especially New Yorkers) and ensure not so much justice, but that self-absorption only leads to your own downfall.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Favorite TV Shows: Top 10

Post by silversurfer19 »

10. The Muppet Show (1976-1981), ITV

A vaudeville style show with song and dance numbers with the aid of celebrities of the late 70s. That could not be good, could it? Add a little Muppet mayhem in there though and you have the premise of one of the greatest shows ever put on television. Insane, madcap, laugh out loud funny with the whole cast of Henson's creations, there isn't a moment of sag to be found as the show runs a series of sketches in the setting of a variety show with the aid of a celebrity guest each week. Using outrageous slapstick and absurdist comedy and parodies, the show is just non stop entertainment and one which I continue to watch over and over again, it's writing is so sharp and with a very knowing nod to many of its parodies it really is a pleasure just to sit back end enjoy. Heck, I can't emphasise enough how great this show is, just watch the clips!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Smallville: Watched the first season and enjoyed it, though felt it was going nowhere.
The Muppet Show: Loved it as a kid, and unlike many of the other picks so far, I suspect I'd like it even more!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

#10 The IT Crowd (2006-present?, Channel 4, Comedy) - This is one of the two series in my top 10 that I started watching this year (both via Netflix instant streaming). It revolves around an IT team of three including an Irish slacker computer geek named Roy, his best friend a black super nerd named Moss, and their computer illiterate boss Jen. They get no respect from the rest of the company, but their CEOs like them and are often involved in the episodes. It's probably the funniest show I've seen.

Here's one of my favorites:
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SHRYKESPEARE'S #10

The Simpsons (FOX, 1989-2143)

This show was so good, for so long. But that seems like a long time ago. The only reason this show isn't higher is because it fell into a mediocre rut several seasons ago, to the point where I don't even watch new episodes any more. And that's sad. But you guys are right... there was a time when this was the funniest thing on TV. I miss those days. D'oh!

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

No.10

Fringe (2008-Present)

An American science fiction TV series following a division from the Homeland Security called the 'fringe division' who are in charge of investigating supernatural occurences in America.

Original watched as a filler after i finished Lost has turned out to be one of the more thrilling TV series running at the moment and has surpassed Lost itself in my countdown. A modern version of the X-Files and some brilliant charatcter development i wouldnt mind betting that by the time this series runs its course i could find it further up my list.

"Then telephone for an axe"

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Hayley's No.10

Make It or Break It (2009-Present)

An American drama series that follows the lives of the American Girls gymnast squad.

"Then telephone for an axe"

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Adore Fringe, Ozz! Barely missed my list... will probably be on it after this next season, if it delivers. Hopefully it won't be the last season!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

The IT Crowd: I gave up on it after the first few episodes, but that was a mistake. Subsequent seasons were much better. A very good show from one of the best writers around (the great Graham Linehan).

The Simpsons: As far as I'm concerned it ended in 2001

Fringe: Rambling and silly. A bit like the X-Files

Make it or Break it: Er.....

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Show #10
NSpan

Arrested Development (2003-2006, FOX)

Much like with Futurama, I was on-board from Day One. Then FOX's awful programming decisions made it nearly impossible to keep up with the show--and I didn't really catch up until the DVDs were released.

Such a shame this was canceled too early--though I love the fact that they managed to properly "end" the series nonetheless. This show has LAYERS--and it's worth watching and rewatching.

I might revisit this post and add more... but I'm sleepy... and I expect to see this show crop up a couple more times before the countdown is over.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SHRYKESPEARE'S #9

Due South (CBS, 1994-1999)

There are cop shows, there are buddy shows, there are fish-out-of-water shows. But none blended those three concepts as amusingly and as expertly as Paul Haggis's Due South, which featured the unlikely pair of a Chicago detective named Ray Vecchio (David Marciano) and Constable Benton Fraser (Paul Gross) of the RCMP, and an attache of the Canadian consulate. The two, along with Benton's deaf pet wolf, Diefenbaker, would solve crimes in the Windy City.

The show was rife with pitfalls. It was cancelled after one season, but it was so successful in Canada and the UK, CBS eventually renewed it for a second season... and then cancelled it again. Finally, in 1997, CTV revived the show after receiving investment capital from the BBC. The third and fourth season were packaged together as one syndicated run in the US, finally ending in 1999.

Don't ask me how it worked, pairing a hard-bitten street cop with a so-clean-he-squeaks mountie... it just did. The writing was so crisp, so fresh, and the premise was so bonkers, it just worked. The soundtracks of the show (which often included a lot of Canadian musicians, esp. Sarah McLachlan) were great, and the show was able to balance humor and seriousness terrifically.

Here is a video featuring a series of clips from one episode, featuring a pretty cool song called "Ride Forever" (and yes, that IS Leslie Nielsen).

Opening credits:

redraider
Al Czervick

Post by redraider »

Due South - I had forgotten about this show. It was one of my favorites back then.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

No. 9 The Simpsons (1989 - Present), Fox

As everyone has mentioned, for a period of time this was the greatest thing on TV. In fact that was for quite a number of years. I don't watch it anymore, I haven't really watched it since it started going downhill almost 10 years ago, although there are still some decent episodes, but for that period during the early - mid 90s this was awesome. I didn't actually get into it until the mid-90s as it just wasn't shown on terrestrial TV in the UK then. I remember going on holiday to the Isle Of Wight with my school and when down at the pier there was an arcade game for the Simpsons where you had to navigate Bart along on his skateboard. I didn't play it, I had limited money but just to watch the demo I was mesmerised and so hoped I'd eventually be able to see it. Satirical, heartwarming and hilariously funny with a huge cast of characters each with their own individuality which has been so deeply researched, there are so many of them to love and that helped craft so many stories to love too. The writing was so sharp but not just funny, it had an emotional grip on you as well. I don't need to go on with how awesome this show was, everyone knows it.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Show #9 [/b]

undeadmonkey

Chuck (2007-2012, NBC)

Premise: When a twenty-something computer geek inadvertently downloads critical government secrets into his brain, CIA and NSA assign two agents to protect him and exploit such knowledge, turning his life upside down.

I only started watching this show at the end of last year and now next year is going to be it's last season. It's seems too soon for me. This is the funniest show on tv at the moment, funnier than any sitcom. So with 13 episodes left, i hope they go out with a bang.

numbersix

Peep Show (2003-present, Channel 4)

The best British comedy that’s still running today. Peep Show took a simple premise that was almost a gimmick, and turned it into something astounding. As SS already said, the show is entirely told from the POV of its characters. The benefit of this is that we get to hear the thoughts and motivations behind the characters, in all their screwed-up glory. It helps that you’ve got the eternal teenager Jez and uptight BBC Radio 1 fan Mark to explore.

The difference between UK and US sitcom is that the UK goes for quality over quantity. It’s rare for a sitcom season to go beyond 6 episodes, and thus you’re left with a very brief but often flawless season. With Peep Show there was hardly a dud moment within its 7 seasons.

The show has seen some pretty screwed-up moments, like the episode where Mark and Jez end up having to eat a pet dog to maintain a lie. My favourite is the episode of Mark’s wedding day. Mark feels forced to marry his girlfriend Sophie, and needless to say what transpires is a series of brilliantly awkward moments (include Jez pissing himself to spite Mark).

Again, full episodes are available on Youtube but it may only be for those living in the UK

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

#9 How I Met Your Mother (2005-present, CBS, Comedy) - There's been quite a few ensemble comedy set around a group of friends in New York. This one has a few established names in Neil Patrick Harris (who steals most of the shows), Jason Segel (one of my favorite people in movies right now), and Alyson Hannigan. Josh Radnor and Cobie Smulders round out the main cast. The show's title comes from Radnor's character, Ted's (who evidently turns into Bob Saget in the future), search for his wife and each episode is actually a story he's telling his kids in 2030. Ted is an architect and has been best friends with Marshall (Segel), a Minnesotan lawyer, since college. Marshall met his significant other Lily (Hannigan), a kindergarten teacher, there as well. Ted and Robin (Smulders), a Canadian reporter, dated a while and she became part of the group.

Barney (Harris), a horn-dog with a high paying job that no one knows the specifics of, steals the show most times. He's always devising a new way to hit on girls, counting the girls he's had, and has one singular simple rule in life that changes from episode to episode which trumps only the Bro Code. He's also an avid lazer tag enthusiast and never goes anywhere without a suit (even wearing them for pajamas). He also is into magic (which he uses to pick up girls) and has his own catch phrases like "Suit up!", "Legend-(wait for it)-dary!", and various high fives.

Barney's Hot/Crazy Scale:
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.