Top 25 Favorite TV Shows

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Re: Top 25 Favorite TV Shows

Post by Leestu »

Show #24

leestu

Cheers (1982-1993)

One of the best American sitcoms ever. It’s a simple idea: the experiences of the staff and patrons of a Boston bar. It featured quality writing, and the actors had great chemistry. Just look at some of the regular cast: Ted Danson, Shelley Long, Woody Harrelson, John Ratzenberger, Kirstie Alley, Kelsey Grammer, George Wendt. When talking about great American sitcoms this should be mentioned over the likes of Seinfeld, and Friends. It had likeable characters who I would happily associate with (unlike Seinfeld where I disliked them all) and did not get boring or stale over 11 seasons (unlike Friends which was instantly dull). Not sure if this is a good thing but it probably inspired me to find my own local for a few years where everybody knew my name.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Man, I used to LOVE Red Dwarf! Great pick, Surfer! Kryten was awesome! "Smeg off!"

Cheers was awesome too, but I loathed Shelley Long's character with a passion. I was so glad to see Kirstie Alley take her place.

SHRYKESPEARE'S #24

The Jeffersons (CBS, 1975-1985)

I'm not big on sitcoms as much now as I was when I was a kid, but in primetime, nobody cracked me up like George Jefferson, played with such aplomb by Sherman Hemsley. The constants sparring with Florence the maid, his thinly-veiled prejudice against the Willises, the interracial couple who lived on their floor, it was all so much fun to watch. There were many terrific characters from the 70's, but George Jefferson remains one of my favorites to this day. (Trivia: Sherman Hemsley looked a lot older than he actually was... he was actually nearly two decades younger than Isabel Sanford, his "wife", and less than ten years older than Damon Evans, who played Lionel, his "son".)

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Let's see, I guess I'll go with Entourage (2004-present, HBO) for my #24.

I just started watching it last year and got caught up for the final season which starts this month. It's loosely based on executive producer Mark Wahlberg's life getting into film and the relationships he had with his friends, family, and coworkers/agents/directors/etc. Basically it's an about-to-be movie star, Vincent Chase; his almost middle aged actor brother, Johnny "Drama" Chase; their slightly goofy obvious New York transplant, Turtle; and friend-turned-manager Eric "E" Murphy. Along with Jeremy Piven's defining role as Ari Gold with some of the best TV quotes not allowed on cable. Really funny stuff.

Matt Damon hits Vince up for charity:

And Bob Saget as a sex freak:
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Degrassi Whatchamacallit: Rings a bell, but never seen it

Pardon the Interruption: Guys with gravelly voices shouting is what I always imagine US sports shows to be like.

The Munsters: The reruns were on when I was a kid, but I don't remember them being funny. Could have been too young. Or too old ;)

Red Dwarf: Completely forgot about this. It was a damn good show,and the Hitchhiker's comparison is a good one. The Lister/Rimmer dynamic was indeed the best element of the show (didn't Rimmer leave towards the end?). And to think Craig Charles is now a regular on soap opera Cornation Street...

Cheers: A Classic, and the barometre of the sitcom. It never felt exceptional, but it was always solid.

The Jeffersons: Never watched it.

Entourage: Just missed my list. Very funny and biting at times. The last two season have been disappointing, though.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Show #24
NSpan

Flight of the Conchords (2007 - 2009, HBO)

I was going to put the Tenacious D show in this slot... but, upon inspection of my DVD case, the "series" only had 3 episodes (or 6 short episodes, if you prefer to be technically correct). I'm avoiding mini-series, limited-runs, and documentaries on this list. While I think Flight of the Conchords is blatantly derivative of Tenacious D, it's still funny as hell. And, despite a familiar premise, there is plenty of creativity to go around. With Rhys Darby, Kristen Schaal, Arj Barker, and Eugene Mirman, the Conchords had one hulluva supporting-cast. The songs are funny--but the episodes don't rely on them. The writing is solid--the musical numbers are just icing. And, as a throwback to a conversation we had years ago on this board, I'd like to point out that (despite major creative involvement from Kiwis, this was an AMERICAN production... Woo, America! Fuck yeah! ... and all that.) :)
Last edited by NSpan on July 6th, 2011, 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I used to watch Red Dwarf and Absolutely Fabulous back-to-back when I was about 10-11.... In hindsight, I think that made me a pretty weird kid. I still think both shows are funny--though I don't really have much interest in actually rewatching them.

Cheers DOES deserve to be a part of any conversation about iconic sitcoms... and I personally loved it. I chose to discuss Seinfeld because of the barriers it tore down during its run. Cheers was the pinnacle of the "old" format; Seinfeld set the precedent for modern sitcoms.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Strange you're not counting mini-series, NSpan, surely that should come under this topic?

Anyway, Flight of the Conchords was pretty funny. Some of the songs were exceptional, and the first season was overall very funny. I think besides the Australian episode (which I think featured the brilliant Two Many Dicks on the Dancefloor), Season 2 was a bit weak.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:Strange you're not counting mini-series, NSpan, surely that should come under this topic?
Nah, I didn't consider mini-series... they just aren't part of the same conversation as "Favorite TV Shows" in my opinion. Mini-series are much closer to the medium of film than TV. In fact, if movie-theater audiences had the patience to watch 6-8 hour movies (even in installments), most great mini-series would be released theatrically.

Otherwise, Band of Brothers would easily be in my Top 25. And FLCL would have been considered. And, if I allowed mini-series documentaries, Planet Earth would've also been in the running.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

But does that make something like Lost a 110-hour movie, then, because it's ultimately a single story arc? Not sure where you would draw the line between the two.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

No. 24

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990-1996)

Premise: The show stars Will Smith as a street smart teenager sent to his Uncle's house in up-market Bel Air, with hilarious clashes in lifestyle often happening.

Will Smith has grown to be my favourite actor today and this is where it all started, it was always the first thing i watched getting home from school, the series drastically dropped in quality after Smith departing after Season 3 but it stays in my Top 25 for nostalgia reasons.

"Then telephone for an axe"

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I can definitely buy the Fresh Prince for nostalgia, that's for sure. It was quite popular over here. Again, not sure if it would stand up today, but I don't want to ruin my childhood by finding out

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Will Smith never left Fresh Prince. He was there until the end (I still remember when the finale first aired and the final shot of him saying goodbye to the house).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

My partner has decided to chip in with her 25 favourite TV Shows so without further ado......

Hayley's No. 25

Grange Hill (1978-2008)

Premise: This show focuses on a group of British high school students as they deal with the dramas of teenage adolescents.

I have watched a lot of favorite TV shows from over the years, and Grange Hill is at number 25 as i was able to relate to the dramas the students went through. Was a good after school show to watch before doing the dreaded homework.

Last edited by englishozzy on July 6th, 2011, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

i was under the impression that he left after Season 3 due to last three seasons never being released over here. I remember watching a couple of episodes from Season 5 without him in it.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ahhh Grange Hill.... can still remember the theme tune. Awful ;)