Fall Schedule 2011

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Fall Schedule 2011

Post by Shrykespeare »

WEDNESDAY

Wow, Wednesday is the most jam-packed night of the week, and this fall, there will be no fewer than SEVEN new shows debuting on Wednesday night.

Probably the most notable debut is that of Simon Cowell's pride and joy, X-Factor, which will finally cross the pond and make its debut on American soil. (This is the reason he left Idol.) Hosted by former Pussycat Doll Nicole Scherzinger (who is also a judge on NBC's The Sing Off) and Steve Jones, this show seems to be a lot like Idol except that it's not just individual singers but groups and bands that can also apply, and the age limit for auditining is 12 and over, not just 15-29.

The show will run for 90 minutes, from 7:00 to 8:30, and then lead into a new sitcom called I Hate My Teenage Daughter, starring Jamie Pressly (My Name is Earl) and Katie Finneran (Wonderfalls) as Nikki. They both are divorced, and both have teenage daughters (who are also best friends) that they allow to do pretty much whatever they want. Both girls are masters of manipulation, and so it falls to the ladies' exes and family members to help rein in their little spoiled hellions. I love Jamie Pressly, but this just seems wrong for her.

CBS will counter Mr. Cowell with the 22nd season of Survivor, which just keeps on a-ticking. Following that will be Criminal Minds, which is entering its seventh season. Both shows are coming off Top 20 finishes, don't look for CBS to be pulling or moving either of these veterans. Worry instead for their competition.

NBC will lead off its Wednesday evening with two new sitcoms of its own. The first is Up All Night, written by SNL writter Emily Spivey and co-produced by Lorne Michaels himself. It stars Christina Applegate and Will Arnett as Reagan and Chris, a married couple whose lives are turned upside-down by a new baby. She works for a living, so he gets househusband duties. It's not one of those sitcoms with the three walls and the live studio audience, and if this show can take off like Lorne's other show 30 Rock, it could be a hit. Following that is Free Agents, which stars Hank Azaria and Kathryn Hahn (Crossing Jordan) as Alex and Helen, two co-workers who find solace in each other's arms as a means to atone for their miserable lives thus far. Sounds peachy. At 8:00, NBC will send up Kathy Bates and Harry's Law, which enters its second season after being a successful mid-season addition. (At leaste, I hope it was successful... I really enjoy this show.)

ABC sends FOUR sitcoms to open its Wednesday evenings. The first is The Middle, which will enter its third season with a lot of competition. Following that is a new show called Suburgatory, starring Jeremy Sisto (Law & Order) as George, a single dad who up and moves himself and his teenage daughter Tessa (Jane Levy) from the hustle and bustle of NYC to a suburban hell of teeth whitening, boob jobs and big hair. The trailer looks kind of funny, like Malcolm in the Middle-weirdness filtered through the whimsy of Easy A. I might actually give it a look if it survives more than a month. At 8:00 is the third season of the multiple-Emmy-award winning series Modern Family, which will in turn lead into Happy Endings, another mid-season replacement that will be given a full year to stretch its legs.

A lot of quality here. A lot of returning veterans with solid fan bases, and a lot of new shows with terrific pedigrees. It would seem that The X Factor is the wild card... if it takes off like most talent shows seem to, it could be the deciding factor on how well everything else does.

At 9:00, two grizzled veterans will go head-to-head for the first time: NBC's Law & Order: SVU and CBS's CSI. SVU, which for years was on Tuesday night but moved to Wednesday last year, enters its 13th season, and changes may be in the works: rumor has it that Mariska Hargitay's character will get promoted halfway through the season, and a new detective (played by Jennifer Love Hewitt) will be introduced. I've been a fan of this show for years, but I've started to grow tired of the overwrought, hand-wringing drama that seems to permeate every storyline. And I, as a rule, hate Jennifer Love Hewitt, so there we are. Meanwhile, CSI, entering its 12th season, continues to be a Top 20 show, and moving it from Thursday to Wednesday has apparently not hurt it at all. But will moving it from 8:00 to 9:00? Doubtful. Laurence Fishburne has proved a worthy replacement for William Petersen, and the show shows no signs of stopping.

ABC is sending up a rookie to challenge these two former favorites, a new show called Revenge. Aussie director Phillip Noyce (Sliver, Rabbit-Proof Fence, Salt) is behind the camera for this show, which stars Emily Van Camp (Brothers and Sisters) as Emily Thorne, who moves into the wealthy neighborhood known as The Hamptons, and seems to effortlessly blend in with the elite of society that live there. But she has a dirty little secret: she used to live there when she was a kid, and the people she is now associated with are responsible for destroying her family, and Emily is back to exact revenge on all of them. Murder? Humiliation? Who knows what she has in store... Movie veterans Madeleine Stowe and Henry Czerny also co-star.

Since my DVR has the ability to record two shows simultaneously, I'm torn. I am a regular watcher of CSI, but if SVU continues its downward spiral, I may give up on it entirely if Revenge proves to be even remotely interesting. As a fan of some of Noyce's work, I'm intrigued to find out whether he can transition to the small screen.

Up next: Thursday.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

The X-Factor will be a disaster. The show is attempting to destroy American Idol but since it's proven to be strong without Simon and Paula, there is simply no room for another show with the same concept. Also, the show will most likely be seen as a carbon copy of American Idol and some of the judge choices (such as Cheryl Cole, who's completely unknown in the US) won't be as well received or as known as the original judges (Some may say Randy Jackson wasn't very well-known, but he's done enough in music to establish himself. He's also the most successful of Michael's brothers.).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I can't believe CSI is still running. It was my favorite show literally 7-10 years ago, at which point I gave up on it because the concept got extremely tired. No idea how it is still going. Same story with Survivor.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Because CSI still does well in the ratings and Survivor is cheap to produce. The latter is the same reason why Big Brother and The Apprentice keep getting renewed despite awful ratings.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I watched Survivor when it first aired and just a couple seasons ago got back into it. At it's worst, it's just meh. At it's best, it can be a very cerebral chess match with real people as pawns... And it's extremely funny when people throw challenges/lie/etc, then get put out and at the finale trash others for "bad morals." It happens every single year and they can't figure out that it's just a game even 22 seasons in.

I haven't seen anything about the new shows, but from the looks of your synopses, it looks like Revenge is the only one I'll give a try.

All the other returning shows I have zero interest in at this time.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Shrykespeare wrote:Which other cancelled shows are you referring to, UDM? (just curious)

haha, i'm not saying that all of these shows were actually good but i liked them, Wonderfalls, Tru Calling, North Shore, Point Pleasant, Stacked, Kitchen Confidentail (the last two came out a few years later, but i really liked them). and just to put it into perspective, i was 14ish at the time.

Buscemi wrote:(Some may say Randy Jackson wasn't very well-known, but he's done enough in music to establish himself. He's also the most successful of Michael's brothers.).
you aren't talking about Michael jackson, are you? because they aren't brothers

The only show i watch on wednesday was Cougar Town, but that will be back in on tuesdays after dancing with the stars is over. As for the new wednesday shows, I'll check out X Factor, i gave up on american idol a few years ago because of the obvious fangirl power driving the voting of the show, maybe this show will be more fair. I'll check out Up All Night, even though the premise of the show sounds dull, but i like christina applegate, so hopefully it's funny. and i haven't seen any previews, but i might also check out revenge.

To answer your question shryke, Harry's Law hasn't been doing too well, compared to other shows, but compared to shows on nbc, it's doing alright, as it was the only new show nbc didn't cancel.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Then I won't get my hopes up that Harry's Law will make it past this season. If you haven't already, you should check it out. Kathy Bates is terrific, and I love any scene that has Christopher McDonald's character in it. (Think: Shooter McGavin as an attorney, but with an actual vulnerable side that he reveals on infrequent but welcome intervals.)

And UDM, to see a preview of Revenge, here is a link:

http://abc.go.com/shows/revenge

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I thought they were, Monkey. Turns out after you mentioned it that there are two Randy Jacksons, the one on American Idol (who is a music producer) and the other one (Michael's younger brother), who was a member of The Jacksons and co-wrote Can You Feel It with Michael.

For some reason, I never realized it.

And you seriously liked Stacked, Monkey? I always felt that was one of the worst concepts ever for a show (Pamela Anderson in a sitcom where every joke is about her boobs or her blonde hair) and proof that Fox prefers sex over story. The show also ran much longer than it should have.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Like he said, Boosh, he was 14. Boob jokes are probably the most funny when you're 14.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Boob jokes can be funny... See: That 70's Show, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Funny how boob jokes get less cool as you get older, yet actual boobs get more cool as you get older.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Not if they're man-boobs

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

zing! good call, lol

that would be a good category for a Regulars league..."Worst Man Boobs of All Time."

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Funny you should bring that up, Brockster, as just last night I watched Fight Club for the first time, a movie where so much was made of Meat Loaf's "bitch-tits."

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

That's the first time you've seen Fight Club? Wow, that surprises me.

I know, as soon as I typed it I thought, "well everyone would pick Meatloaf if we did that category." Although the Great Hambino from The Sandlot would be a good 2nd choice.