What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to now

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Re: What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to no

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

From last night, I've watched Whitney (not very good, but I'll give it a chance because I like Whitney Cummings), Community (good as usual, there is not a weak link among this cast), The Office (I liked this episode a lot, even though apparently a lot of people didn't. Andy is a good choice for manager, but he won't be there for too long I think), and It's Always Sunny (a meh episode, nowhere as good as the excellent season premiere).

Still have Parks & Rec and Big Bang Theory on the ol' DVR.

Did anyone watch Persons of Interest?
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:
Buscemi wrote:This is Fox we're talking about. They'll cancel anything, no matter how good the ratings are.
FOX won't cancel Glee for at least another 3-4 years. It's crossover success is far too great on iTunes to stop, no matter how many people are watching the show. Plus the cast is not leaving the show, they're graduating but it'll follow whoever leaves along with whoever stays.

Glee is the only thing Fox has right now, depending on how well Terra Nova does. They'll ring it dry, until Lea Michele is 40 and has her daughter going through that high school.
Yeah, Glee is still pumping out those soundtrack CDs--and the kids are still gobbling them up. It's a sensation that won't last forever, but I'm sure they'll milk it longer than just one more season. Losing cast members will be a tremendous hurdle... but that doesn't mean they won't go for it anyway. Take Degrassi, Saved by the Bell, Boy Meets World, 90210, whatever other long-running garbage you can think of. Those shows survived all the changes that Glee is facing--but without the benefit of being a multi-media sensation.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Beverly Hills 90210 was a big deal when it was on. And Degrassi will always be Canada's teen show, no matter how many changes Nickelodeon makes to the show.

Which leaves Saved By The Bell and Boy Meets World. They were cheap and aired in slots where they were basically unopposed (Saturday mornings and Friday nights). So of course they were going to stick around.

The one show to compare Glee to is Twin Peaks. Both were phenomenons in their first seasons but largely declined in terms of story and viewership during Season 2. Both had movies that flopped. ABC eventually cut their losses and ended Twin Peaks after two seasons. I see Fox doing the same with Glee after this season ends.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

But Fire Walk with Me was made and released after the series was cancelled, so the conparison in that sense doesn't really fit.

And as NSpan said, the ridiculolus amount of money the show is making in ancillary benefits (the live tour, the albums) is enough to keep the show rolling for another year or two.

Which makes the world a tad more depressing.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I still say one more season after this along with an attempted spinoff, kinda like what 90210 did. what was the show called? the red haired desperate housewife was on it....

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Buscemi wrote:The one show to compare Glee to is Twin Peaks.
I stopped reading here.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Banks, could not disagree more on this week's Always Sunny. I thought it was a pantheon episode. One of the greatest ever.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

undeadmonkey wrote:I still say one more season after this along with an attempted spinoff, kinda like what 90210 did. what was the show called? the red haired desperate housewife was on it....
Melrose Place.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I caught up on all the shows in the last few days. Community, Parks & Rec, The Office, Always Sunny (both episodes) were all a bit dull.

The best thing about Community so far has been the fact that it doesn't take itself seriously... but the season premiere was all drama and relationships. Parks & Rec and The Office also had too much drama... though that's somewhat more par-for-the-course. Always Sunny had its moments. I loved the montage of the beach at night. Still not up to snuff, though.

Watched a few minutes of Up All Night and Whitney. Turned them both off. I think I'm simply not the target audience for the first one. And the second show just confused me. Is the wooden acting and laugh-track some kind of meta-parody? Or is it just a terrible show?

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

It looks like generic sitcom to me. What was bold and daring in 1977 is bland and passe in 2011.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Geezer wrote:Banks, could not disagree more on this week's Always Sunny. I thought it was a pantheon episode. One of the greatest ever.
It was very good(the sequences end with Dennis and Dee and the strangers had me in tears), but I thought last week's was better.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Finally saw Person of Interest. The pilot felt rushed and slightly contrived, but I thought it was fun and entertaining enough to overlook the shortcomings. Also they definitely have a good premise to grow on. To sum it up, i would say it's a cross between Batman and Minority Report. It's awesome to see Michael Emerson back on tv. Jim Cavaziel was a little off, he felt wooden, but i think it might just be the way he was directed to be cold and calculating. I guess we'll find out in future episodes as this is one show i'll definitely add to the dvr. Also loved seeing Taraji P Henson, she is a very underrated actress in my opinion. i thought maybe she would get more and better roles after Benjamin Button, but we have seen very little of her.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

watched Terra Nova, I won't say it's problem free, but it was a lot of fun. also, definitely unlike anything on tv, which gives it extra weight in my opinion. A family drama set in the time of dinosaurs, what's not to like.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I watched it too, and I think it has some potential if it gets away from being sooooooooo cliche. The whole episode was completely predictable, but it was a Pilot so I can forgive them, they just wanted to get picked up. If it starts to go off the beaten path, and proves that these characters can be interesting, I think it can be very good.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Yeah, I half-watched it and it felt like one of those shows that are trying to copy Lost's drama/mystery mixed with Heroes slower pace, but do it in a way that seems ingenuine and stale, like The Event, the newer V, or that show where everyone blacked out a couple years ago... What was that?
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.