What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to now

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to no

Post by Buscemi »

We finally get a date for the new Twin Peaks season: May 21st. I hope Showtime does a free preview for the season premiere (I might have to get Hulu or hope Amazon Prime or Netflix gets the rest of the season).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Finished Mr Robot S2
Was very intriguing and also quite strange in some episodes. Nothing unexpected for fans of the show. Built up quite a bit of momentum in the last few episodes to unleash a bit of a cliffhanger ready for season 3. Unlike Season 1 which gives you some closure on the events of what happens, season 2 is slower and more deliberate pace for you to engross yourself with some of the characters or next plot twist which you think you might see coming- but never really do. So in saying all that, it was pretty good, not quite as good as the first season, but up there. Looking forward to seeing S3.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Watched my first item on Amazon Prime: the pilot to Jean-Claude Van Johnson (the rest of the series will arrive later this year), an action comedy series starring Jean-Claude Van Damme, created by the co-writer of The Expendables and Godzilla and directed by the guy behind Keanu (and Ridley Scott produced). And it's actually pretty funny. The humor is very tongue-in-cheek and self-aware and the pilot sets up a series that looks to be a lot like the short-lived Bullet in the Face without the dystopia themes (the pilot also felt a lot like the Leverage episode where the team stole a movie set). Perhaps the best joke (outside of the the comparisons between Timecop and Looper) is the reveal that talent agencies are a front for contract killing agencies.

I'm going to try to get to some more shows soon (the pilots to The Tick and the Kevin Bacon-starrer I Love Dick, the recently canceled Good Girls Revolt, Sneaky Pete with Giovanni Ribisi and Bryan Cranston, and of course, the big ones such as Transparent and The Man in the High Castle).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

been very disappointed in series 4 of Sherlock. So anticlimactic

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

It was really poor. The worst of the four. Not sure if there'll be more but I'm no longer interested.

However, I'm half way through The Young Pope which I'm really enjoying.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

And my other most anticipated revival of the year gets a date: April 14th (though the first episode has already been screened to Kickstarter backers to glowing praise). It shall be a Patrick Swayze Good Friday.

Now will someone make the Leverage spinoff happen? Or more episodes of Infomercials?

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I don't know why I didn't find this until just now: a new Twin Peaks trailer with both the last shot of the original series and the first footage of the new season.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I think that footage of Cooper has been shown before. It certainly seems familiar.

Man I cannot wait until this show comes back. And I'll be in France the day of broadcast.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I don't think it's the footage of old Cooper from Season 1. Make-up was different.

Really hoping for a Showtime free preview the weekend of the premiere. Otherwise, I might have to get Hulu or something to watch the series.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I found out that the creators of Homestar Runner did a show for Disney and every episode is on YouTube. So far, I've watched the first season of Two More Eggs (I really don't get the name) and it's kind of a mixed bag with hilarious episodes and some episodes that aren't so great (the weak ones mainly being in the Trauncles series, which gets way too cruel at times). However, it's amazing that something so off-the-wall and bizarre ended up on Disney XD as it feels more like an Adult Swim series (though more kid-friendly).

The highlight is mainly recognizing the Homestar Runner voices (all the same guy) in each episode. For example, Dooble is obviously Homsar, Joshow is Coach Z, Hector is Homestar Runner, and the voices from the Cheat Commandoes segments appear a lot.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Finally getting back in the hang of Netflix things (in time for the new season of Mystery Science Theater 3000) and watched an episode of The Great British Baking Show (NSpan's old friend Kate's favorite show). Now this is how to do reality television/competitions. The show avoids flashy editing, overdramatic music, focusing on certain contestants to create villains, and fake-seeming editing. We get equal focus on the contestants, likeable hosts, the "confession cam" segments are naturalistic and don't feel added in post, and it doesn't insult the viewer.

However, I felt the teenage girl was robbed in the episode. She had it won.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

You mean the Great British Bake-Off?

That show is insanely popular over here. It's a water-cooler show, where everyone debates the decisions make for the entire afternoon. Interestingly, the BBC lost the rights to the show because they wouldn't pay more for it, so Channel 4 have nabbed it, with different presenters and judges.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

That sounds like fun, it's on netflix?

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Hah. In the US it is called "The Great British Baking Show~" because "Bake-Off" is a registered trademark of Pillsbury, according to Wikipedia. PBS broadcast it in the US, not sure if it's on Netflix.

It's a fun show, but boy does it give you cravings.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

apparently it's only on US netflix