America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Geezer »

I'll do a full recap after you, probably tomorrow, but Brian Justin Crum is WINNING this competition. Holy shit, dude.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

1. Jose and Carrie, dancing dog - Yeah, not enough, not by a lot.

2. Daniel Joyner, singer - He's good, not great. I'm not all upset he got through, but would have preferred Madison over him.

3. Ilan & Josh, beatboxers - They probably shouldn't have made it this far.

4. The Finest Family, dance group - I just think its a weak year for dance, honestly. And that doesn't bother me, as it's a really strong magic/comedy/singing year.

5. Blake Vogt, magician - This may have been my favorite close-up trick ever performed on the show. Holy crap how did he do THAT! I have no recollection of his audition, or a lot of the auditions for the performers on tonight's show, by the way.

6. Alta & Daniel Novikov, dancing mother and son - Another one where I would have preferred Madison make it instead. They are cute, but would anyone pay to watch them? I doubt it.

7. Charles & Rose, dancing couple - Its so bad that it is funny, I was definitely laughing, but this was always as far as they could get, even on a fairly weak night.

8. Mason Bumba, martial arts - Martial arts is not a Vegas act, nor a million dollar act, hell its barely even an act, no matter how good you are.

9. Tape Face, silent comedian - YESSSS!!! He killed again. I love this guy. Just everything about his act works.

10. Good Girl, singing group - They killed themselves by picking a song that didn't showcase their talents.

11. Dominique Dy, singer - Meh.

12. Madison Watkins, singer - As I mentioned above, I would have put her through over a couple of the acts that made it. The biggest snub of the night. I have to imagine the judges looked at the bigger picture, and asked "where does she stand among female singers in this competition?" bfore ultimately deciding she wouldn't have enough to compete with some of the others.

13. Charlie Placas, aerial artist - Doubt very much this act was for us, Patrick.

14. Malevo, Argentinian dance group (Golden Buzzer) - They are SO MUCH FUN to watch. I could see this being a huge Vegas show. People would pay good money to go see them. Loved this even more than the first and loved them then too. Worthy buzzer.

15. Ian Stewart, danger act - "World's most dangerous accountant" was a very accurate statement. No showmanship whatsoever.

16. Ryan Stock & Amberlynn, danger act - There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with this guy! But he's exceptionally great at what he does. Deserved to go through.

17. Al Ducharme, comedian - NEXT

18. Ryan Beard, comedic singer - His song didn't live up to his first, which is sad, because I really liked his first audition.

19. Sam Morril, comedian - This guy is a really good comedian with great material, and I would have put him through over the Novikovs, but I'm not heartbroken that he didn't make it. He's going to have a career regardless. Already getting opening gigs from Amy Schumer is huge. He's going to go places.

20. Brian Justin Crum, singer - Like I said above, I think this guy has to be the favorite to win the whole damn thing. He might be the best singer they've ever had. He was perfect his first time, and he was perfect while showing a completely different side this time. One can not nail their first two auditions any better than this guy did.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Coming tomorrow (among others):

The old guy who sang/screamed "Bodies"
The six-year old comedian
The alien-looking juggler
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

My broadcast was delayed 18 minutes by the convention, so I hope they are able to squeeze it all in.

You know, I can't help but think that the order the acts appear to us on TV are NOT the order in which they probably appeared live. There are just too many coincidences that they have all the singers bunched together, the danger acts together, and the incredibly sucky acts together. Plus, four the fourth straight show, the Golden Buzzer occurs in the middle and the best act of the night is the last one they show. I call shenanigans!

1. ThroWings, extreme acrobats - I like this act. I do. The thing is, there's only two of them, and really, what more can they do short of setting the girl on fire? The blindfold was a nice touch. The act is thrilling and they are pros at it, but I can't see this moving past the next round. DESERVE IT? Yes.

2. Campbell Walker Fields, singer/pianist - I do not remember his audition at all. He does NOT look 14. Plus: black boy raised by two gay white dads? Gotta respect that. I honestly like his voice, but it's not polished enough. I might have considered putting him through anyway, because we have all of TWO solo male singers in the next round (both of whom were on yesterday).

3. FLIP, dance crew - Mel B complained that they didn't have a dance crew in the next round. What do you call Malevo? Anyway, they were okay. It's hard at this point to get excited about any act like this.

4. Shane and Shannon Jesssen, dance duo - This is something I'd spent more minutes watching than the kid/mom dance duo, but how many times can I say it? Two people dancing is not a Vegas act, no matter how many lifts they do.

5. Outlawz, dance crew - Shout-out, Arizona! Honestly, I was bored to tears until they did the thing with the spotlights. That made it cool. And then the dub step. DESERVE IT? I'm gonna say no. I wonder if they made it just so the judges could say they put in one dance "crew". Good for you, Outlawz, you're the token dance crew.

6. Ary Hill, singer - Don't remember her audition. And I won't remember her an hour from now. In fact, by the time you read this, Geez, I'll have already forgotten her.

7. Avonlea Martin, singer - Don't remember her audition either. I think she's really pretty, but she just doesn't stack up against the other teen singers. Madison and Brennley were far better, and they went home.

8. Jayna Brown, singer (Golden Buzzer) - Given how nervous she clearly was, she nailed it. But consider - in the next round, she'll have to content with Laura, Grace, Calysta and Kadie Lynn in the girl singer category, not to mention Ronee and Moya. DESERVE IT: To go through, yes. The Golden Buzzer? No.

9. John Hellinger, rock singer - First off... cool move, putting the octagenarian and the first grader back to back. I admire the novelty of John, but he's in the William Hung category. Funny once for its shock value, but after that, meh.

10. Nathan Bockstahler, comedian - I love this kid. It's unbelievable the stage presence he has at this age. Not quite on the level of Lori, but were it not for the fact that we have plenty of comedians already, AND plenty of kid acts, I would have fought to put him through. This kid has a future in show buz. Disney Channel should snap him up in a heartbeat.

11. Viktor Kee, juggler - It's tough to get jazzed about juggling, especially if you're not hysterical like the Passing Zone. I love his look, but I think he would work better as the center of a larger act. DESERVE IT? For the theatricality aspect, I'll say yes.

12. Sos and Victora, quick change artists - There was an act EXACTLY like this on Season One (Americans). I have no idea how that act did it, and I have no idea how these two do it. But I have to say.... how many times can they do this before it gets boring? I give them props for adding the box and the fireworks. DESERVE IT? I guess.

13. Jon Bernhardt, novelty musician - Jeez, this was horrible.

14. Jonathan Nosan, contortionist - I didn't get this at all. At all. The first time, he walked out on stage dressed like Jason Statham. This time? Bleh.

15. The Amazing Armando, magician - Worst. Magic act. Ever.

16. Musicality, a capella group - OKay, it's nice. That's about all I can say. Linkin' Bridge still kicks their ass. DESERVE IT? Sure, why not.

17. Oksana Grishina, contemporary dancer - Nothing I could watch for an hour.

18. The Baron of the Universe, strong man - We've had our one "sick" act go through. We didn't need a second one.

19. D.J. Demers, comedian - I remember this guy. Sad they only gave him the 30-second treatment. I liked him, but we knew it wasn't going to be enough.

20. The Clairvoyants, mentalists - Fucking incredible. Just amazing. What a great magic crop we ahve this year. DESERVE IT? Best of the night.

Well, this was by far the weakest field of the four shows. Victor Kee and The Clairvoyants were the only acts to blow me away. I'm not sure either of them has a chance to win. I'd probably have put Campbell and Nathan ahead of Outlawz and Musicality.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Oh yeah, it is DEFINITELY edited for dramatic effect.

1. ThroWings, extreme acrobats - I like them too, but they won't make it past the next round. The blindfold did nothing for me. All she does is squeeze when she feels him grab her. Now if HE was blindfolded, that would be something.

2. Campbell Walker Fields, singer/pianist - I agree, I liked him and thought he had a good shot in this field, alas it wasn't meant to be.

3. FLIP, dance crew - I didn't love them. Very meh. And I guess its because Malevo is way more than just a dance group.

4. Shane and Shannon Jesssen, dance duo - Exactly, two people dancing will never be a winner of this show.

5. Outlawz, dance crew - I tend to agree, but the spotlight thing was SO cool, that on that alone I think they deserved it in a weak field.

6. Ary Hill, singer - Who was she again?

7. Avonlea Martin, singer - Who was she again?

8. Jayna Brown, singer (Golden Buzzer) - I absolutely agree with everything you said. She was really good tonight. But next time around, she will have better singers to contend with. Its ironic that she got the Golden Buzzer after singing the Golden Buzzer song.

9. John Hellinger, rock singer - You said it. One time was enough.

10. Nathan Bockstahler, comedian - Yeah, I don't think this is the right stage, but he should DEFINITELY be hitting up every audition for tv and movies that he can get his adorable little butt to.

11. Viktor Kee, juggler - He's way more than just a juggler. He is an artist. If he were just juggling, he'd be gone, but the level of his performance art is incredible, and that's why he deserved a spot.

12. Sos and Victora, quick change artists - I was very surprised to see them move on. Like you said, and its exactly what I said when they were done, this is REALLY COOL, but its only cool for about 5 minutes. They NEED to do something else, and I'm really disappointed the judges told them not to, to stick with the quick change thing. If that is all they do, they aren't a Vegas show.

13. Jon Bernhardt, novelty musician - Yeah he probably shouldn't have gotten this far, even though it is cool to see someone actually playing a theremin.

14. Jonathan Nosan, contortionist - Yeah, talk about blowing it big time.

15. The Amazing Armando, magician - Yeah, WTF was this guy doing? So many great magicians, at least he makes us appreciate their talent even more.

16. Musicality, a capella group - I have to disagree on this one. I love these guys. I got so many chills watching them. I just think the story is fantastic and they really have an amazing chemistry and they are one of my absolute favorite acts this year. I will be rooting, and voting for them.

17. Oksana Grishina, contemporary dancer - Not even five minutes for me.

18. The Baron of the Universe, strong man - I consider this sicker than the other one. This I had to watch through my fingers. I'm so glad I don't have to sit through it again, the man needs help.

19. D.J. Demers, comedian - Based on his first audition and his story, I expected him to be a force in this competition. He must have really suffered from using his best stuff in the first audition, or they would have given him more time. This was pretty shocking to me.

20. The Clairvoyants, mentalists - They are truly amazing. No idea how they do it, unless the judges are in on it. Or she is in fact a witch, like Simon likes to say. They should make the finals.

I think they probably got it right, save one or two acts that would have been eliminated immediately in the next round anyway. Shallow field tonight, so no major complaints to be had.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

So... assuming each judge gets to bring back one act to fill out the field of 36 (3 shows of 12 contestants, where the Top 3 voted acts go through and the 4th and 5th are decided by judges), which four do you think will be brought back?

The judges expressed their disappointment at having to let both Brennley and Madison go home, but... the field is already flush with female singers, so will they get the nod despite being the best acts to NOT make the cut?

Where is the field weak?

Let's break it down:

Singers (female)
Laura Bretan
Grace Vanderwaal
Calysta Bevier
Ronee Martin
Kadie Lynn Roberson
Moya Angela
Jayna Brown

Singers (male)
Sal Valentinetti
Daniel Joyner
Brian Justin Crum

Singers (group)
Edgar
Linkin' Bridge
Musicality

Comedy:
Lori Mae Hernandez
Julia Scotti
Tape Face

Magic/Illusion:
Hara
Jon Dorenbos
Blake Vogt
Kadan Bart Rockett
The Clairvoyants
Sos and Victoria

Danger/Sideshow:
Deadly Games
Vello Vaher
Ryan Stock & Amberlynn
ThroWings
Passing Zone
Sofie Dossi

Dance:
Alla & Daniel Novokov
Outlawz
Malevo (I'll put them in this group for convenience' sake)
Victor Kee (ditto)

So, yeah, there really isn't room for Brennley or Madison.

I would bring back:

Duo Guerrero (tightrope)
Sam Morril (comedian)
Steven Brundage (Rubik's cube magician)
Nathan Bockstahler (kid comedian)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I can't argue against those 4, though I also wouldn't be surprised if we saw another singer come back, say Madison or Campbell

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay, slight change.

The are 33 acts currently on the live shows, not 32. Apparently the producers decided to honor Nick's Golden Buzzer pick, Dorothy Williams, the 91-year-old stripper. To which I say ... good for her. She'll never make it past the next round anyway. There WILL be three wild card picks by the judges, to make the field 36. So tomorrow will be the first of three quarterfinals. I'm not sure how many will make the cut from each show, but I'm sure we'll find out on Wednesday, the results show.

Read a little more, and here are the three acts that will be the judges' wild card picks.

1. Steven Brundage (YES!!!!)

2. FLIP (um.... okay. I am guess they figured there just weren't enough dance crews in the QFs, and these were the best of the also-rans. Whatev.)

3. Sila Sveta (This surprises me. This act passed their initial auditions and was given 4 yeses, but we didn't see them in the Judges' Cuts round. I would imagine there were quite a few acts who passed their auditions but were told they were cut afterwards. I wonder why this act was cut, only to be brought back again? Weird. I'm glad they're back, though, I quite like them.)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Maybe Sila Sveta couldn't make the judges cut round, for whatever reason. I'm sure it will be explained. They were definitely good. And I'm obviously very pleased Steven is in, he was the most deserving of anyone who got cut.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I'm admittedly going out of my way to be critical tonight, as these acts this year are SO good, that if I'm not totally blown away, they aren't going to get my vote.

Jayna Brown - She can definitely sing, but I didn't love the performance, or the song choice. I actually think the background music was too loud, at least on the tv broadcast, and washed out her vocals a bit. The judges went gaga over it though, so maybe it sounded better there.

Hara - It was good, but it was a little too similar to his first act. I'm afraid he might get a little boring after a while. Still, it is very cool. And if Kenichi can win, he might just go through.

The Outlaws - Let's be honest, they were never going to get past this stage. But they didn't deserve to get BUZZED. I actually liked the performance, for what it was.

Musicality - Much like Jayna, I thought the background music on them washed them out a bit and didn't allow them to shine and I didn't love the song choice. It wasn't as good as their past performances. The coherence wasn't quite there. I have no idea what the judges were hearing. But all that being said, I love these kids, I love their story, and I want them to succeed.

Lori Mae Hernandez - My favorite act so far. I mean, wow, she is hilarious, topical, confident and she just commands the stage. I would pay to watch her do stand up right now. I could see her on SNL, I could see her in movies, I really think her future is incredibly bright, maybe more so than anyone else this season. I can't believe she is so good at her age.

Deadly Games - WOW they stepped it up. That was absolutely breath-taking. And I'm not just talking about the wife! Absolutely amazing. I wasn't expecting to think they deserved to go through, but they probably just changed my mind.

Jon Dorenboss- That trick was absolutely awesome. He should go through without a doubt. I have no freaking clue how he could do that other than to say the judges were all in on it.

Daniel Joyner - Easiest cut of the night for me. Really not good. If you are going to do Freddie, you need to have the chops, like Brian Justin Crum did in his first audition. At least it looked like he had fun up there.

Tape Face - Mel is crazy, this was the best act of the night so far. Tape Face is comedic genius in its PUREST form. Holy shit is this guy brilliant.

Dorothy Williams - Good for her for fulfilling her life-long dream. Good for Nick for letting her. We know this is where it ends.

Sila Sveta - With all the light show going on, you couldn't even see them half the time. I really didn't like it, much like Simon. If one visual performing act goes through tonight, it's Hara, not them.

Laura Bretan - I get the not wanting to root for her because of the Romanian thing and her acting kinda fake, but DUDE. How does THAT voice come out if THAT girl? Holy shit. I do not believe what I just saw. She is incredible beyond words.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I swear to got, if the judges have to choose between Lori Mae and Tape Face, I will be pissed. I hope one making Top 3 won't preclude the judges picking another.

My take:

1. Jayna Brown - She's talented, sure, but there are four bonzo-talented girl singers in this competition, and she's not one of them. (I can only wonder if Grace, Laura, Calysta AND Kadie Lynn can possibly all make the Top 12.) Plus, going first is a distinct disadvantage in a 2-hour show. After Laura performed, most people will probably forget Jayna. (For the record: I didn't hear any problems with the background sound.)

2. Hara - It was reminiscent of his first audition, but not identical. Whether he makes it through or not, I hope someone in Vegas gives him a job. He's a great showman.

3. Outlawz - You're right. Totally meh.

4. Musicality - THIS time I heard the sound problem. There was little or no projection. They're a great story, but this is where it ends.

5. Lori Mae Hernandez - OMG. This girl is a superstar. Period. This wasn't my favorite routine of hers, but I think she'll go through.

6. Deady Games - Holy shit, these guys. They are born showmen. I really, really hope they move on.

7. Jon Dorenbos - This is the most incredible thing ever. My mind is blown. He's so going on.

8. Daniel Joyner - Give him five to ten years, and he'll own Vegas. Not tonight, though.

9. Tape Face - Okay, this wasn't QUITE as funny as the last two times, but damn, this guy cracks me up.

10. Dorothy Williams - Yeah. This memory will stay with her for the rest of her life. However many (or few) years that is.

11. Sila Sveta - I have to disagree with you on this one. I really loved it. I think it was better than Hara, if I had to choose between them. Not sure either will make it, though.

12. Laura Bretan - Do I love her voice? Yes. Do I want her to win? No. Will she win? No. Will it matter? No. She'll have a great career like Jackie Evancho. Or she'll be on Canada's Got Talent next year.

I want to root for Laura Bretan, but I can't. Here's why: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rom%C3%A2 ... .282016.29 I don't blame her for trying AGT, but dude, she WON Romania's Got Talent. And she comes on all cute and innocent like she's never done it before. And the producers certainly aren't going to broadcast her win on another show. I know, it's probably her parents that are ferrying her all over the world, so I can't take it out on her, and she IS hella talented, but based on this, I have to put her on a lower pedestal than Grace and Calysta.

Who I think should move on:
Lori Mae
Tape Face
Jon Dorenbos
Laura Bretan

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Votes cast for Lori, Musicality, Tape Face, Deadly Games and Jon Dorenbos.

I think we can safely get rid of Otlawz, Dorothy Williams, Daniel Joyner, and hopefully Sila Sveta. That leaves one more act to get the ax, and that one will sting a little bit. If it were up to me, knowing the caliber of female singers ye to come (not to mention Laura), I'd say good bye to Jayna Brown.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Just an FYI, because I don't know if you caught this, but 7 acts move on, only 5 are eliminated.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Can't really argue with the results. Got it right, for the most part.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Yeah. Neither can I. Everyone who deserved to go on did. Jayna did do well, and so did Musicality, I guess. Sucks for Hara.

So here is who is performing next week, in descending order that I think they have a chance to move on:

Calysta Bevier
Sofie Dossi
Kadie Lynn Roberson
The Clairvoyants
Viktor Kee
Sal Valentinetti
Moya Angela
Steven Brundage
Sos and Victoria
Ryan Stock and Amberlynn
ThroWings
FLIP

Which means, now that we know that lineup, here is the lineup for the following week, and my odds for advancement:

Brian Justin Crum
Grace Vanderwaal
Malevo
Linkin' Bridge
Ronee Martin
The Passing Zone
Julia Scotti
Edgar
Kadan Bart Rockett
Blake Vogt
Vello Vaher
Alla & Daniel Novikov